Nikon D800......

I had the 135DC on a D700, but it could benefit from being updated to a G version. The build quality on the G lenses isn't as good though which is a shame. The new Zeiss 135mm f/2 looks drool worthy, their new super line of lenses will get the best from the D800 sensor.

I've been thinking of getting a D800 but needing to shoot 1/125th minimum handheld because of the tinier pixels showing more movement has put me off.
Prices have dropped a bit but i would still need to buy an FX lens, the D300 is a lovely camera for landscapes but i just want ultimate sharpness even though i use a tripod.

Don't know we're your getting the 1/125th... For what lens is that for.
I think you do need slightly higher shutter speeds but I've got plenty off handheld shots with a 50mm using 1/50-1/60 that are very shap.
(y)
I watched a small video by Ange Nicholson with the D800 on test, i'm not sure what lens she had on the camera.

It does benefit a lot from better technique I found than my D700 which was more forgiving. I almost treat the 800 like a medium format camera, tripod, low ISO etc when I can. It's not always possible to use the tripod, but I try to keep the shutter speed fast when handheld. The D700/D600/D3S/D4 would be by choice if I was running and gunning it. Very nice files from the camera though when you pair it up with a good lens.

I rarely use a tripod and I'm managing sharp images at 1/50 easily enough. Depends on the lens really.

This was taken hand held at 1/50th, aiming straight up, on a very dark night -

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8337/8265084459_1359fc9084_o.jpg

It was good enough to make a large print from.

That was at 24mm though, but no VR or anything - as that lens simply doesn't have that option.

That's the largest I upped, but I have printed it large and it tuned out nicely.

Last edited:
Looks fine here... can't see any offset anything.

I've been thinking of getting a D800 but needing to shoot 1/125th minimum handheld because of the tinier pixels showing more movement has put me off.
Prices have dropped a bit but i would still need to buy an FX lens, the D300 is a lovely camera for landscapes but i just want ultimate sharpness even though i use a tripod.

Odd how there seems to be a perceived difficulty getting sharp pics with the high resolution sensor in the D800/E. Folk seemed to manage well enough with 35mm film that is high resolution too.

arclight said:
Odd how there seems to be a perceived difficulty getting sharp pics with the high resolution sensor in the D800/E. Folk seemed to manage well enough with 35mm film that is high resolution too
But they didnt pixel peep

Exactly they didn't ever view film at 100%, other than to count the grain, and there were not forums full of people more happy to pick holes in technicalities rather than appreciate the image as a whole.

But 35mm - despite urban myth - isn't really 36MP like the D800/E is. As I said your counting grain not pixels which are significantly smaller, even in Velvia 50. Detail in the D800 now far outstrips that of 35mm even on the best scanners.

Cagey, is it just me or is that jpeg slightly corrupted? I have a few rows of pixels which are offset horizontally...

Looks fine on my screen

Looks fine here... can't see any offset anything.
Most strange. It looks like it's a firefox problem. In FF, it's wrong. If I save the file locally then load it up in a picture viewer, it's wrong.

But when I view it in IE, it's fine :thinking:

Having just put both files through an MD5 checker, their signatures are different so a corrupt download in FF

Edit, just forced a refresh in FF and it's now OK. Must have downloaded a corrupt version somehow or it was corrupted during the download. Strange!

Last edited:
Most strange. It looks like it's a firefox problem. In FF, it's wrong.

I'm using Firefox.. no problems here. As you said.. something glitched when you were downloading.

Last edited:
No idea what happened there on your end tfboy, but it's fine on Flickr here on Chrome & FF - I don't do IE ;)

Btw, I didn't upload a larger version simply because my connection has been terrible sluggish lately. I normally d up larger versions to the likes of Flickr, because they're as good as a back up at full res upload there. But for the past few weeks, upload especially, has been slow so I now batch resize everything I up to wherever. But trust me, apart from being a little grainier, it's as sharp full sized ;)

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know of a good holster type case for the D800? One that could take the camera and say the 28-300mm lens.
Many case specs. say that they can take the camera, but when you look at the dimensions, they are too small. The Lowepro 55AW looks a possibility.

My D800 arrives today too but I ordered a nikon 24-70 f2.8 and 50mm which won't arrive until tomorrow!

I'm sure you will all love the camera.
I had my first slight disappointment the other day,but it's not really to do with the camera.

I decided to use my 70-200vr2 for the first time since buying my d800 about 4 months ago, and on the few times I've used it on my d700 it was pin sharp, as all my other lenses. But on my d800 it seems to be back focusing. Dialed in +10 and it seemed better but still not as sharp. Think I need to sit down and have a proper play with it. I have been looking at FoCal as I think that me be better than me trying to do it myself as I don't really know what I'm doing.

If its totally out for my d800 I may just sell it off instead of sending it to be checked over, as much as I love the lens and find it stunning when I use it. I think it's only been used maby 5 times in a year and a half due to the size and weight,plus I wouldn't mind getting the new sigma 35 1.4.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know of a good holster type case for the D800? One that could take the camera and say the 28-300mm lens.
Many case specs. say that they can take the camera, but when you look at the dimensions, they are too small. The Lowepro 55AW looks a possibility.

I was hoping someone would answer your question because it interests me, too.

55AW dimensions:-

Width 19.5 cm
Depth 16.5 cm
Height 33 cm
Weight 400 g

Well, mine arrived. Not as heavy as I expected it to be - with a 50 f/1.8G, it's around the same weight as my previous Canon 600d with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. With a serious zoom, it might be too much to put in my bag most days so primes really are the way to go for me.

It doesn't fit any of my camera bags.

I was looking at that one. Also considered the Samyang 35 or something like an old Nikkor 28mm ai. I have a 50G and tend to go wide rather than tele.

The 35mm 1.4 Samyang is an awesome lens!

Pookeyhead said:
The 35mm 1.4 Samyang is an awesome lens!

Have you used this on a d800? I have the 85 f1.4 and really like it (apart from occasionally pining for AF with fast moving kids!)

I like the idea of a 35 f1.4 but not at the nikkor price!!

S

All the Samyang lenses look good value for money and worth a look. Consider the Sigma 35 or the Zeiss 35 f2 too if you like a 35 and have a few more £ to spend. I went with the Nikon 35 1.4G for autofocus reasons, but the Sigma is generating a lot of positivity.

I really like the look of the sigma, and I have no 1.4 lenses atm. I don't 'need' it, but, want it :)

I shot a wedding New year's eve and mostly used the 24-70 and 70-200, I had the 50mm 1.8 with me but never used it once. It was a case of, the shot either needed wider, or longer. I probably would have used a 35mm more, especially for the 1.4. Though I was managing pretty well at 2.8 - f/4 in around the 800-2000 ISO mark, as the church wasn't too badly lit.

Last edited:
Have you used this on a d800?

Nope... like an idiot, I sold it some time back as I needed AF. I wish I;d kept it now, and just bought the Nikkor 35 1.4 outright. I was just being a cheapskate... :( I'll definitely get another Samyang. It really is demonstrably better than the Nikkor optically.

I've used it on my old D3X... and it was very impressive.

The Samyang bokeh was pretty horrible and the contrast was quite low, certainly wouldn't get much use against the 35G. Also look at the 28mm f/1.8G which can be had for a reasonable price.

Mine arrived after teatime, too late and dark to give it a real workout, tried a few shots in the kitchen and i think im gonna like this.

I have the pixel grip, which is probably about the same build. It's fine, I'm just not a grip-man. It's nice to have there if I need it.

I cant use a body without one, im used to D3/D3S sized body, i got used to that size and needed the grip on d300/d700 bodies for the extra FPS for shooting sports so i just became accustomed to the larger size, anything smaller just doesnt sit right in my hand hence why i dumped my D600, even with a grip that was like a toy.

you love em or hate em i suppose

I do like having a shutter button for portrait orientation, but other than that I've no real need for it. The largest camera I owned before the 800 was the D200. Perfect size for me, I don't have huge hands.

I do like having a shutter button for portrait orientation, but other than that I've no real need for it. The largest camera I owned before the 800 was the D200. Perfect size for me, I don't have huge hands.
Nor me, small in fact, maybe its because i like a larger lady, something to get hold of.

The Samyang bokeh was pretty horrible and the contrast was quite low, certainly wouldn't get much use against the 35G. Also look at the 28mm f/1.8G which can be had for a reasonable price.

Slightly more LoCa fringing on the Samyang... but you have to look pretty hard to tell the difference. The Samyang doesn't suffer from the awful focus shift when changing apertures that the Nikkor does... and the Samyang is so much sharper, who cares about slightly more bokeh fringing? If the Samyang was AF I'd have not bought the Nikkor. You wanna post up an example of this awful Bokeh with the Samyang? I never noticed it.

Back