Nikon D800......

I did read on another forum that in the UK serial number from 606xxxx have no left focus issues.....so maybe to be 100% sure you need to have responses from those who have recently bought this camera with a greater s/n
Dave

Cagey75 said:
I couldn't care for it either tbh, I just want some freebies :D

If you pm me your address you can have my nod diary which is the only freebie they've ever given

Quite impressed with NPS... I returned my D800 to them recently for recalibration (to fix the left focus issue). I posted the camera to Nikon on a Friday, they received it on the Monday, fixed and shipped it back to me on the same day, I got it back on the Tuesday... pin sharp too! Pretty good service I reckon, I really don't think the 'left focus issue' is as big a deal as some people make out.

They're there ...

That's decidedly strange. I'm getting this list (using this link http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pro/Pro_NPU.page):

If you own 2 pieces of kit from the list below, (one of which being a camera body) simply register your kit online to join the scheme

Full list of qualifying products for entry to the Nikon Professional User Scheme:

Nikon F6
Nikon D3, D3X, D3S
Nikon D300,D300S, D700

AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G

AF-S 35mm 1.4G

AF-S 24mm 1.4G
AF-DX 10.5mm F/2.8G
AF-S 50mm f1.4G
AF 16mm F/2.8D
AF 18mm F/2.8
AF 28mm F/1.4D
AF 14mm F/2.8
AF 24mm F/2.8D
AF 20mm F/2.8
AF 28mm F/2.8D
AF 35mm F/2D
AF 85mm F/1.4
AF 85mm F/1.8
AF-S 85mm f/1.4G

AF DC 105mm F/2
AF DC 135mm F/2
AF 180mm F/2.8

AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S 14 - 24mm f/2.8G
AF-S VR 200-400 F/4G

AF-S VR 200-400 F/4G VR II
AF-S VR 70-200 F/2.8G IF-ED VR
AF-S VR 70-200 F/2.8G IF-ED VR II

AF--S DX 17-55MM F/2.8G
AF-S DX 12-24mm F/4G

AF-S 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AF-S 24-120 f/4G ED VR
AF-S 16-35 f/4G ED VR

AF-S VR 200mm F/2
AF-S 300mm F/4
AF-S VR 300mm F/2.8
AF-S 400mm VRf/2.8G ED
AF-S 500mm VRf/4G ED
AF-S 600mm VR f/4G ED

AF 60mm F/2.8D
AF 105 mmF/2.8
AF-S 105mm F/2.8 VR
AF-S 60mm F2.8

AF-S 85mm f/3.5G ED VR DX
AF 200mm F/4
PC 85mm F/2.8
PC-E 24mm F/3.5
PC-E 45mm F/2.8
PC-E 85mm F/2.8

REGISTER your professional product

*This is a UK and Ireland membership scheme only.

You might need to refresh the page, or empty your browser cache. That looks out of date. I'm getting the D800 included when I click on your link.

I get:

Nikon F6
Nikon D3, D3X, D3S, D4
Nikon D300,D300S, D700, D800, D800E, D600

You might need to refresh the page, or empty your browser cache. That looks out of date. I'm getting the D800 included when I click on your link.

I just emptied the IE cache and it still says the same (no D800 or D4). I think I'm in a time warp - LOL :eek:

I just emptied the IE cache and it still says the same (no D800 or D4). I think I'm in a time warp - LOL :eek:

Try a different browser.

I had a reply fom Nikon Support stating that the NPU will contact me in the next few weeks to join the group....

The D800 seems to be a bit of a nightmare for collecting dust, finding myself cleaning the sensor etc far more than any other camera I can remember. Quite enjoying the 35mm f/1.4 G though, the 24-70 didn't wow me as much as I thought it would have. The 24G/35G/85G combo or the 21ZF/35G/100ZF are what I'll aim for I reckon.

The D800 seems to be a bit of a nightmare for collecting dust, finding myself cleaning the sensor etc far more than any other camera I can remember. Quite enjoying the 35mm f/1.4 G though, the 24-70 didn't wow me as much as I thought it would have. The 24G/35G/85G combo or the 21ZF/35G/100ZF are what I'll aim for I reckon.

2.5 months use and no dust so far. I am very carefull about taking precautions when changing lenses.

I noticed some dust spots on a couple of f/22 images, after shooting down by the river on a few windy/rainy days. But nothing more than my old D90 would collect from similar trips.

The 24-70 does everything I need it to do. Can't fault it. I have used my 50mm once since buying it.

http://www.photosol.com/store/pc/home.asp

Sorted :)

As for the 24-70 2.8. It's a very good lens indeed, and I've always had one of those. It's sharp enough.. in fact, very sharp from f4 onwards, but the CA is shocking! Lens profiles in LR take care of that of course, but still... it's pretty bad. Still a killer lens for sharpness though. I like the 35 1.4 too.. I have yet to get one of those. No real need for it... just a want thing :)

I've heard great things about the new Sigma 35 1.4, yet to see any full on reviews though.

for those of you who purchased from amazon in the last 30 days you can get a refund of the price drop. I did it in september when it went from £2250 ish down to approx £2050. I used the online chat facility and they were great agreeing to refund the difference with no problems provided it was within the 30 day return period and it was an Amazon purchase. I also got a 24-85 vr at the same time (great lens) and I even got a refund on the small amount that had dropped.
However dont rub it in I am gutted the price is still dropping.

Last edited:
What's the point of buying a 36MP (or 21MP) DSLR and shooting at lower resolution? The only use I can see is if you are running low on memory card space, but then more fool you for not carrying a spare.

I shoot RAW + small jpeg, but I would never shoot small only.

What's the point of buying a 36MP (or 21MP) DSLR and shooting at lower resolution? The only use I can see is if you are running low on memory card space, but then more fool you for not carrying a spare.

Because some people just dont need or want 36mp files but do want the very latest technology :thinking:

Its all about choice and thats why Nikon and Canon for that matter put the option on their cameras, not everyone wants their PC coughing and spluttering with massive files. (y)

Its like saying why on earth would someone want a 150mph ferrari when the bloody speed limit is 70mph, because you might never use it but its nice to know its under the hood.

Last edited:

It gives the flexibility to do large crops and retain a good image.

for those of you who purchased from amazon in the last 30 days you can get a refund of the price drop. I did it in september when it went from £2250 ish down to approx £2050. I used the online chat facility and they were great agreeing to refund the difference with no problems provided it was within the 30 day return period and it was an Amazon purchase. I also got a 24-85 vr at the same time (great lens) and I even got a refund on the small amount that had dropped.
However dont rub it in I am gutted the price is still dropping.
Hi there just like to say i bought a new D800 from amazon a few weeks back after reading this post i checked the price and got a 60 pound refund many thanks for the advice

Cheers a very happy Rob

I purchased my D800 last weekend, bit of a whim upgrade from my ageing D200, i absolutely love it.
my 50mm 1.4 has not been off the camera yet!

btw, new to the forum.. HELLO!!! :D

Welcome :)

That's a very nice upgrade indeed. I used to own a D200, nice camera to hold and use but it sucked at higher ISO levels. Switched to a D90, but always missed that extra heft. I now have the D800 and love it, it's the camera I always dreamed of owning. I see me having it for many years.

Cagey, forgive me if you've posted this somewhere already, but what made you go for the 800E over the standard?
I'm in the process of deciding between D600 and D800 at the moment, and I am 95% sure it will be the 800. Just not sure if the E would be a good idea. I shoot mostly portraits, but want to start doing landscapes too.

To be honest, I just happened to have the spare cash extra at the time. Also I'm a sucker for sharpness. Thought it might have better re-sale value too.

They only had the one E version in stock when I went in, and I took it. I was a little worried about the moiré issue - but no sign of it yet in 3 months use. And I've used the camera for all sorts, gigs, landscape, street, portraiture ... come across all kinds of fabrics and textures and no ugly patterns.

I would have been just as happy with the standard version of course. And when I bought the price difference wasn't as great as it is now. I'd have to think harder on it.

It's portraiture I am doing most of, and although I want to do more landscapes, for which I know the E will excel, it's a case of "Is the E too detailed for portraits?"
By which I mean skin detail etc, as I am not a fan of having to do too much skin smoothing.

Strangely enough, I've found myself processing skin less! Same touch ups, like cloning out the odd spot or wrinkle, but only when needed. I don't soften skin really, I used to with the D90 - but prefer not to in general. I find hair, clothes textures, eyes to be sharper - but not the skin. I'm not so technically minded as to know why exactly :D maybe because skin isn't exactly sharp to begin with? or something ... And maybe also because I am improving, especially with lighting, and getting my exposures better with less need for post processing. I think I was over sharpening in the past, and then having to soften skin to counter.

Unless you're using a macro lens on it, and getting in real close - I wouldn't worry. The detail is incredible, but I've not found that it over sharpens skin, if that helps? :)

I think to be honest most tests have shown very little difference between the two.
I decided to go for the standard version and its still sharp enough for my needs.

I've got lots of portrait shots in my Flickr with various pro glass,none have had any skin work done,but Flickr seems to have over sharpened alot of them.only the first few are full size though.

Strangely enough, I've found myself processing skin less! Same touch ups, like cloning out the odd spot or wrinkle, but only when needed. I don't soften skin really, I used to with the D90 - but prefer not to in general. I find hair, clothes textures, eyes to be sharper - but not the skin. I'm not so technically minded as to know why exactly :D maybe because skin isn't exactly sharp to begin with? or something ... And maybe also because I am improving, especially with lighting, and getting my exposures better with less need for post processing. I think I was over sharpening in the past, and then having to soften skin to counter.

Unless you're using a macro lens on it, and getting in real close - I wouldn't worry. The detail is incredible, but I've not found that it over sharpens skin, if that helps? :)

Thank you, and yes it does help. I am definitely going for a D800 after Christmas, and thought the E version might be worth the extra. if I'm honest, foe portraits it may be overkill, but for landscapes it might be worth the extra.
Decisions, decisions...

I think to be honest most tests have shown very little difference between the two.
I decided to go for the standard version and its still sharp enough for my needs.

I've got lots of portrait shots in my Flickr with various pro glass,none have had any skin work done,but Flickr seems to have over sharpened alot of them.only the first few are full size though.

Looked at your Flickr, and there are some great shots there. I also have a good selection of pro glass, so no worries about my glass not being good enough.(Phew, that's a relief)

I've only recently started to get the best from my 135 f2 DC lens on my D700, and appreciating how sharp it is. Can't wait to see it on a D800 !!

That's it, decided now. After Christmas I'll get me one.

From the sharpened files of the D800 vs D800E I can't really see any difference. The 135DC is a nice lens, could be doing with an update though.

From the sharpened files of the D800 vs D800E I can't really see any difference. The 135DC is a nice lens, could be doing with an update though.

I probably won't be able to tell the difference either TBH.
As for the 135 getting an update, if they do it wouldn't be the same. Part of it's charm is that is had the DC feature, which it might lose (Like the Canon 135) and also the way it focusses the red wavelengths on a different plane, which is what gives it it's unique look.
It will be a stunner on the D800 I'm sure.

Been hoping either nikon or sigma(they hinted) bring a new version out with fast AF.
The Canon seems to get great reviews regarding sharpness,AF lock and speed,where as the DC lenses doesn't seem to compare well.

How have you found it AF wise?

The E is probably wasted on me, at present at least. I don't do a lot of landscape, keep meaning to, but you know how it is .... with kids ... can't get away enough on my own for long landscape shoots. It's on the cards though. I would like to make full use of it. I only have it 3 months or so, still getting to grips with it, testing all the time - mostly in general every day situations, most of what I'm shooting these days never sees upload. But I loved it in New York for it's low light capabilities, just as I did for the last few gigs I shot. I don't have to think twice now about sticking it to ISO 1600 or more, which used to scare me with my D90. That, for me is worth the extra cost, along with the crop-ability. I don't claim to be the best 'framer' around, often will just get the shot, cut out waste later.

Been hoping either nikon or sigma(they hinted) bring a new version out with fast AF.
The Canon seems to get great reviews regarding sharpness,AF lock and speed,where as the DC lenses doesn't seem to compare well.

How have you found it AF wise?

I would put my DC lens up against any other lens for sharpness, without fear. As I said, it has been a difficult lens for me to get to grips with, but given the right light, or in a studio it is pin sharp.
As for focussing, I have never had a problem, although the fastest I have tried it on is my fast moving grandson ! Worked well though.
Having said that, it didn't seem as fast and true on my D7000, but on my D700 it is stellar. Might be even better on a D800 !!

Back