Nikon Z* mirrorless

The Z50 II rumours have only just appeared on Nikon Rumors so it seems far too early to expect them to have heard anything about a possible release date.
The rumour has been running for ages and that's my point. Plus I haven't heard or seen that the firmware hold up for the z9 was due to the failing Z7 as it was only meant to be for the one model. Obviously another false rumour.

Last edited:
that's being a bit unfair to rumour sites

If you're a gear junkie, then you're a lost soul and will inevitably read rumour sites. I should know......
I'm not a gear junkie as some, but when you come across numerous photography videos spouting the same garbage, it gets a little annoying.

The rumour has been running for ages and that's my point. Plus I haven't heard or seen that the firmware hold up for the z9 was due to the failing Z7 as it was only meant to be for the one model. Obviously another false rumour.
Lots of rumours fly around about lots of things, but I have only seen specs for a Z50II mentioned on Nikon Rumours in the last week or so, which means, for me, it's only recently become a rumour worth listening to. They have suggeste for some time that a Z50II is a likely next Nikon camera release, but I don't count that as rumour, just them making an educated guess.

Again, there may well have been rumours floating around about a Z9 firmware upgrade but the most recent rumour (on Nikon rumours) as far as I can remember, was for a multi-model firmware upgrade, with I think a suggested date period, which didn't happen, and they came back with the Z7 explanation.

But they are still just rumours, gathered from a range of sources, not announcements of events known to happen, so it's to be expected they will get things wrong,

But that isn't the same as just making things up, which I don't believe Nikon Rumours does,

Nikon Rumors is the only rumours site I look at, and there may well be others. I have occasionally been duped into clicking on a Youtube rumour type video, but these have always been obvious fiction, and quickly closed. I never click on them now.

Pulled the trigger on the new TTArtisan 75mm f2.0 AF for my Zf. Delivery due in mid-October.

TTARTISAN AF 75mm F2 Full Frame Auto Focus Lens for Nikon Z-Mount Camera £199 at Amazon UK.

I’m amazed more updates haven’t come along yet with the announcement of the imaging cloud service Nikon were offering which is very select in what models it works with.

I tend to read all rumours with a pinch of salt…the buzz around the ZF when it was first announced and the Nikon Rumors site constantly saying it was 45MP and when released it wasn’t spelt the end of reading much into rumour sites.

I’m amazed more updates haven’t come along yet with the announcement of the imaging cloud service Nikon were offering which is very select in what models it works with.

I tend to read all rumours with a pinch of salt…the buzz around the ZF when it was first announced and the Nikon Rumors site constantly saying it was 45MP and when released it wasn’t spelt the end of reading much into rumour sites.
I wonder if you might be mixing up rumour sites. I can't remember Nikon Rumors saying it was a 45mp sensor and indeed on the 1st of August 2023 they posted

"New Nikon Zf 45MP full-frame retro mirrorless camera for $2,000 sounds too good to be true – I am now skeptical

I still do not have a confirmation that a new Nikon Zf 45MP full-frame retro mirrorless camera for $2,000 will be announced tomorrow – this rumor just sounds too good to be true.

The latest tip I received indicates a 24MP sensor, dual memory cards, and an announcement later in August/September. [their bold]

Usually, the lack of solid leaks and rumors indicated no official announcement anytime soon."

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2023/08/01/...e-true-i-am-now-sceptical.aspx/#ixzz8mqnOLiHg

And as far as I can see, apart from this mention, they always refer to it probably having a 24mp sensor. The next post on August the 6th says "everything points to a 24MP sensor"

After that there are frequent updates and I only clicked on a few of them, but they all referred to a 24mp sensor.

Within the bounds that Nikon Rumours emphasise caution over what they post, I've found them pretty reliable, and although I don't visit other Nikon rumour sites, Nikon Rumors seem to be the best place for getting rumours with no foundation debunked.

I wonder if you might be mixing up rumour sites. I can't remember Nikon Rumors saying it was a 45mp sensor and indeed on the 1st of August 2023 they posted

"New Nikon Zf 45MP full-frame retro mirrorless camera for $2,000 sounds too good to be true – I am now skeptical

I still do not have a confirmation that a new Nikon Zf 45MP full-frame retro mirrorless camera for $2,000 will be announced tomorrow – this rumor just sounds too good to be true.

The latest tip I received indicates a 24MP sensor, dual memory cards, and an announcement later in August/September. [their bold]

Usually, the lack of solid leaks and rumors indicated no official announcement anytime soon."

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2023/08/01/...e-true-i-am-now-sceptical.aspx/#ixzz8mqnOLiHg

And as far as I can see, apart from this mention, they always refer to it probably having a 24mp sensor. The next post on August the 6th says "everything points to a 24MP sensor"

After that there are frequent updates and I only clicked on a few of them, but they all referred to a 24mp sensor.

Within the bounds that Nikon Rumours emphasise caution over what they post, I've found them pretty reliable, and although I don't visit other Nikon rumour sites, Nikon Rumors seem to be the best place for getting rumours with no foundation debunked.
I’m pretty certain rumours were floating around that the Zf was 45MP as I have a Z7ii & would have jumped much earlier towards it if it had been 45MP. I recall some back tracking from wherever that it was ‘only 24MP’. I guess NR could delete random threads about specs that are way off, but heaven forbid they’d do that kind of thing. :)

All semantics anyway. It is what it is and for one I do believe Nikon are heading in the right direction at present which is good to see.

I’m pretty certain rumours were floating around that the Zf was 45MP as I have a Z7ii & would have jumped much earlier towards it if it had been 45MP. I recall some back tracking from wherever that it was ‘only 24MP’. I guess NR could delete random threads about specs that are way off, but heaven forbid they’d do that kind of thing. :)

All semantics anyway. It is what it is and for one I do believe Nikon are heading in the right direction at present which is good to see.
I'm not suggesting there weren't. Indeed Nikon Rumors confirm there were , because in the quote I posted, they say they don't believe them.

NR could delete random threads, but that seems a tremendous amount of work, Especially given that they tend to be cautious in what they report, and often publish updates where they fully admit that an earlier rumour has turned out to be incorrect.

The point of me checking what they had said was because I couldn't remember them saying there would be a 45mp Zf (and I was l closely following this particular rumour), but obviously, based on what NR have said, other sources were.

But, as you say, overall, after a slightly dodgy start, the Nikon mirrorless system is really coming together now. Which is good for me, as after over 50 years of using Nikon ( and occasionally "adding" Canon, Olympus, Fuji and Panasonic (and others) to my toolbox) I won't be switching from Nikon.

A 45MP Zf(s) is still possible and even desired by many of us.
I certainly would buy one as it is really what I want to replace my Z7.

I've run both FX and DX for a number of years. The 20MP sensor produces great images.
The lack of DX primes is the achilles heel of the Z Dx.
It might be worth waiting to see if the rumours about an imminenet Z50 are correct.
If you are switching from a ZF body then the Z50 etc. AF is not as fast - also 3D tracking is not as good.
But my Z50 (sold it now) was light and handy for walking and hols.

The latest noise reduction software is useful for DX.

All IMO of course.

I've run both FX and DX for a number of years. The 20MP sensor produces great images.
The lack of DX primes is the achilles heel of the Z Dx.
It might be worth waiting to see if the rumours about an imminenet Z50 are correct.
If you are switching from a ZF body then the Z50 etc. AF is not as fast - also 3D tracking is not as good.
But my Z50 (sold it now) was light and handy for walking and hols.

The latest noise reduction software is useful for DX.

All IMO of course.
I think there are now some - not many - 3rd party lenses available, eg, Viltrox 56mm. From my own experience the files from my Zfc are excellent, and AF speed is not a great concern for many. Again, from my experience, I have found the 24-200 FX sits quite nicely on it, and has IS, which in my opinion is one of the greatest achilles heels of the C.

I dont know if is the combo of the camera and lens or just the post processing but I do love these renderings.

Is this a Zf B&W direct rendering or a colour NEF converted to B&W?
Colour NEF processed in LR with RNI Ilford Delta 100, 60 sec with Haida VND. The RNI profiles don’t touch the sliders like a preset does. I also like the Nikon Deep Tone Monochrome but it didn’t suit this shot.

Back