"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Can anybody recommend a flashgun?? I've seen this Metz that looks like decent value:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00456PVAY/

Looking for something that does TTL, and preferably wireless using the GX7's build in transmitter.

I'm shooting manual with a YN560 II and RF602 triggers, a pretty cheap setup but I'm topping out the flash sync speed at 1/200 and I think it's the triggers slowing me down (actually need to test if I can get quicker using it in plain old Slave mode now I think about it!)

The Metz looks good, in the reviews people seem to be getting on well with it using Panasonic cameras and getting TTL, but not much info about shooting off camera or triggering.

I bought one off Amazon for about £10. I haven't noticed any performance difference between it and the 2 Panasonic batteries I've got.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D6Z4246/

Thanks.
Can anybody recommend a flashgun?? I've seen this Metz that looks like decent value:

Looking for something that does TTL, and preferably wireless using the GX7's build in transmitter.

I have the Panasonic one, bought it from here for less than 200pounds:

http://www.technikdirekt.de/en/photo-filming/light/flash-unit/643496/panasonic-dmw-fl360le

Hi,
I have a Olympus FL-36R which was cheaper at the time than the Panasonic equivalent FL-360. I use this when I want TTL functionality - with a cable for off camera. I have not tried the GX7 remote functionality yet as I was not aware of this function until today.

When I want to use more than one flash I use the FL-36 and a cheapo Yongnuo YN560 II I picked up along with a set of Hahnel Combi TF panasonic remote with two receivers - obviously no TTL - but for a fixed photo shoot, not that hard to manually configure the two flashes.

Last edited:
I've just received an Olympus 45mm f1.8 I bought off dwb11 in the classifieds here, thanks dwb11 :D

I've just given it a little test on my G1 and I'm very happy with it, seems sharp at f1.8 and bokeh looks to be nice. I may add a 25mm f1.8 later as although it may just be psychological I find my 20mm a bit wide :D

These FBW lenses are not the love of my life but as I have the A7 to use my manual lenses on and for the times when I want max image quality I want to keep a MFT set up for the times when I want an AF system. So, I have the 14-42mm whick I think is an adequate kit lens and the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8 :D

100% crop from a test shot. f1.8, 1/60 handheld and ISO 500.

Besides the no markings and FBW issues I couldn't ask for better IQ.

Last edited:
Thanks for the flash suggestions. There are a couple of Panasonic FL360 and Oly FL36R's on ebay at the moment that I've got my eye on, otherwise I'll go for the Metz unit.

Is there any way to alter ISO settings when using the creative control filters with a Lumix G5, the star filter in particular? I want to use that at night but my camera always seems to choose ISO1600 or above and I want to use ISO200 to minimize noise?

Need some advise please looking at buying a couple of olympus 4/3d lens and an adaptor to go on my G3 micro 4/3rds anybody done this does it work ok can pick up the likes of a 40-150 ed (the ones with the blue ring) olympus for around £60 mark
Thanks in advance guys

... can pick up the likes of a 40-150 ed (the ones with the blue ring) olympus for around £60 mark
Thanks in advance guys
It is a good lens, and yes, the adapters work well but focus is slow and a bit hunty, compared to the fast focus on the DSLR bodies the lenses were made for.
In this case buy the very good mZuiko 40-150 for micro-4/3rds, find a used one for maybe £100, great value.

(Other 4/3rds lenses are a better candidate for adapting because the price difference can be substantial and some lenses have never been repeated for m4/3rds format.)

Thinking of getting either a used GX1 or the new GF6, which would be better to someone who used to own a dSLR?

Not really worried about video more just stills work.

Also looking for a lens for general walk around use? Is the 14-42 suitable and which version is best the old or new one and how can I tell the difference between the two easily?

So, just how cheap is 'a great price'? One went for £500 on here recently. I am only asking because I was offered a 35-100mm for £780 2nd hand by a camera shop recently but managed to order a new one for considerably less from HDEW.
I already own the 12-35mm and it is a cracking lens.[/quote Hi they've offered me it at £550.. Plus they'll cover it for a year. I didn't think that was to bad a deal?
So, just how cheap is 'a great price'? One went for £500 on here recently. I am only asking because I was offered a 35-100mm for £780 2nd hand by a camera shop recently but managed to order a new one for considerably less from HDEW.
I already own the 12-35mm and it is a cracking lens.
Hi £500 plus they'll cover it for a year. I've taken the lens and used it which I thought was good of them "try before you buy" I've had some razor sharp pics with it. I also put on some extension tubes a d had some wicked close ups. So I'm goi g to go for it. Thanks for your reply!

I have a G5 and standard 14-42mm kit lens. Does this combo tend to be a bit soft on images or is it what I should expect of a micro 4/3 sensor, ie. are there other lenses that will give better results or will they all tend to be on the soft side. I am asking before I splash out more money on lenses.
I also use a DSLR so maybe I am asking too much but my sony compact is sharper than the G5 which is something I wasn't expecting.
Results are very usable and only really evident if cropping etc but it's still there and a tad disappointing.

It is a good lens, and yes, the adapters work well but focus is slow and a bit hunty, compared to the fast focus on the DSLR bodies the lenses were made for.
In this case buy the very good mZuiko 40-150 for micro-4/3rds, find a used one for maybe £100, great value.

(Other 4/3rds lenses are a better candidate for adapting because the price difference can be substantial and some lenses have never been repeated for m4/3rds format.)

40-150R is a nice sharp m43 lens and is £129 new on amazon with a retro bag

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B478IH0?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I have a G5 and standard 14-42mm kit lens. Does this combo tend to be a bit soft on images...

I have the original 14-42mm kit lens (this may be different to the lens you have) and it's a little soft but the results this lens produces on my G1 look good enough when not pixel peeping at exteme magnification and in fact look pretty good compared to the Canon and Nikon kit type zooms I've owned or used.

Do you shoot raw or JPEG? Personally I shoot raw and process for best effect but in the end, lets face it, these 14-42mm type zooms are never going to be the best lenses available as they're just "kit" lenses... good enough for general shooting and normal viewing but not the best lenses available.

Hi there. Bought a gx7 last weekend. Never had a camera like this before - currently injured so can't carry much at all. Would appreciate any top tips for this kind of camera. I have the 20mm with it and the 14-42 in a deal last weekend in Birmingam. Thanks.

The MkI plastic 14-42 is (in my opinion) a scourge on the face of m4/3rds.
The NEW metal-skinned 14-42 is sharp and fine and nice.
It makes my 14-45 lenses worth less! Dammit.

I have a G5 and standard 14-42mm kit lens. Does this combo tend to be a bit soft on images or is it what I should expect of a micro 4/3 sensor, ie. are there other lenses that will give better results or will they all tend to be on the soft side. I am asking before I splash out more money on lenses.

The older 14-42mm lens isn't the best m4/3 lens around, but it should certainly produce better images than a compact. It's worth keeping an eye the apertures you're shooting at - f5.6 - f8 gives the best results on most m4/3 lenses. Anything past f8 will start to look soft due to the effects of diffraction. The similar 14-45mm is reckoned to be a better lens, as well as the new style 14-42.
I've got the newer 14-42mm that came with the GX7 and shooting at f5.6 or f8.0 it produces very sharp images, and as a lightweight carry around lens it's excellent. I've just had the picture of Tower Bridge I posted on the previous page printed at 16"x12" and it looks very sharp and detailed.
The main problem with it isn't the sharpness, but the slow aperture - it closes down very quickly when you zoom in, and is past f5.0 for most of it's range.

It's worth keeping an eye the apertures you're shooting at - f5.6 - f8 gives the best results on most m4/3 lenses. .
No way.
Some (maybe a lot) of m4/3rds lenses, especially the primes, are best at just one stop under wide open, and excellent wide open.
Agreee that anything smaller than F8 is going to give diminishing returns and head for diffraction blur.

Thinking of getting either a used GX1 or the new GF6, which would be better to someone who used to own a dSLR?

Not really worried about video more just stills work.

Also looking for a lens for general walk around use? Is the 14-42 suitable and which version is best the old or new one and how can I tell the difference between the two easily?

If you are used to a dslr then you may prefer the G series Panasonics - more dslr like styling and a built in viewfinder. G6 is the current model, but you can pick up the G5 new for £250: http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/cameras/...nasonic/panasonic-lumix-g5-black-14-42mm.html and I have seen the older G3 (which is what I have) sell for around £100 used, which is a bargain. (Although the newer G5 and 6 have a much better grip and other useful features like a horizon level - the one feature I really miss on the G3 and have on my dslr). If choosing between GF6 and GX1 then these reviews may help - http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GF6/ and http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GX1/

The tilting screen on the GF6 is nice but the articulated one on the G series cameras is much nicer, I find it especially useful on a tripod for unusual angles. GF6 (and G6) also have wi-fi whereas the GX1 (and G5) do not.

Not really worried about video more just stills work.#

As someone who used to own DSLRs and then initially moved to a GF1, I did not upgrade to the later GF cameras as Panasonic removed the external flash hot shoe. From what I remember reading the GX1 was meant to appeal to the original GF1 users who wanted an upgrade path. If you dont plan to use an external flash then the additional fancy features of the GF6 might be a better fit for you. I owned the GX1 for 2-3 years and was very happy with it and have only just upgraded to a used GX7 a few weeks back.

If you are used to a dslr then you may prefer the G series Panasonics - more dslr like styling and a built in viewfinder. G6 is the current model, but you can pick up the G5 new for £250: http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/cameras/...nasonic/panasonic-lumix-g5-black-14-42mm.html and I have seen the older G3 (which is what I have) sell for around £100 used, which is a bargain. (Although the newer G5 and 6 have a much better grip and other useful features like a horizon level - the one feature I really miss on the G3 and have on my dslr). If choosing between GF6 and GX1 then these reviews may help - http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GF6/ and http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GX1/

The tilting screen on the GF6 is nice but the articulated one on the G series cameras is much nicer, I find it especially useful on a tripod for unusual angles. GF6 (and G6) also have wi-fi whereas the GX1 (and G5) do not.

As someone who used to own DSLRs and then initially moved to a GF1, I did not upgrade to the later GF cameras as Panasonic removed the external flash hot shoe. From what I remember reading the GX1 was meant to appeal to the original GF1 users who wanted an upgrade path. If you dont plan to use an external flash then the additional fancy features of the GF6 might be a better fit for you. I owned the GX1 for 2-3 years and was very happy with it and have only just upgraded to a used GX7 a few weeks back.

Thanks for the feedback from both of you. I think I might go for the GX1 as it's got most of the features I want but isn't an overly big camera, though I need to try a G5 to see what there like. Not really worried about having Wi-Fi connection on the camera.

I'm impressed with the 45mm f1.8 I bought from the for sale section here.

Here's some 100% or if not still very heavy crops...

just for fun :D

and a whole image from the walk to the shops...

Together with the 20mm f1.7 the 45mm makes a very compact little setup and it's so good I wonder why so many seem to be for sale.

I'm impressed with the 45mm f1.8 I bought from the for sale section here.

Together with the 20mm f1.7 the 45mm makes a very compact little setup and it's so good I wonder why so many seem to be for sale.

I've just sold mine as it happens. A lovely little lens, and great value, but for me the focal length wasn't that useful.

I've used 50mm a lot on MFT and I used a Sigma 85mm f1.4 on my 5D so for me it's ok. One advantage for me is that I can use this sort of focal length as a walk about lens and can also either leave a bit of room between me and the subject or get the subject reasonably large in the frame when shooting the odd flower etc and crop later and still end up with quite a large image.

I must have shot thousands of images at 50mm on MFT and just fancied an AF lens of about that length to use on my G1 as I use my manual lenses on my A7 now.

Last edited:
Just the final saved versions of two flower shots I took the other day, one of the original shots is a couple of posts above...

Last edited:
Hope its ok to post this here but...
I am after a used 35-100mm F2.8 lens - in case someone has one they are not using.
I have a wanted thread on the classifieds bit - but I don't know how many people actively check that...
Thanks!

Took a trip up to Whitby this morning with the GX7.
I've been trying out an Olympus 9-18mm. It seemed to produce decent enough images, but is quite prone to lens flare, which isn't really ideal if you're doing sunrise shots. It does have a nice range, and unlike the Panny 7-14 you can fit filters. In the end I decided to send it back to Amazon until I decide where to put my money...

I've had the 45mm 1.8 for a while but always found the FL difficult to work with too. Great for close in portraits, and isolating objects, but that's about it. It is a really sharp lens but get much more use out of my 25mm 1.4 and 14mm 2.5.

Mark - I did the same thing but rented the 9-18mm for a week. Ended up buying the Samyang Fisheye 7.5mm and some decent defish software for UWA. The 14mm 2.5 does my WA work. It's a cheaper option that I think gives better results, albeit less flexible and manual focus at UWA.

A Saltburn stitch from my G1 + 25mm (lens now sold.)

I had a go at this some time ago but I'm happier with this one and I can't see any problems with it. I think I'd like to try more of this and will probably also give Brenizer method a go after browsing some images.

Last edited:
Has anybody got the Panasonic 100:300 lens, if you have, can you let me know what you think of it, performance wise? Could you also post some images taken with it?

Has anybody got the Panasonic 100:300 lens, if you have, can you let me know what you think of it, performance wise? Could you also post some images taken with it?

I have one Edwin, and everything in this album was taken with it using a G6

http://srhphoto.zenfolio.com/p1047384471

I think its a great lens. Performance wise, my copy is superb up to around 270mm where it softens a little but is still perfectly usable. Demands very good long lens technique though, and the lightweight nature of the m4/3 system doesn't help.

Cheers,

Simon.

I have one Edwin, and everything in this album was taken with it using a G6

http://srhphoto.zenfolio.com/p1047384471

I think its a great lens. Performance wise, my copy is superb up to around 270mm where it softens a little but is still perfectly usable. Demands very good long lens technique though, and the lightweight nature of the m4/3 system doesn't help.

Cheers,

Simon.
Thanks for sharing Simon.
I am considering either buying this lens or purchasing an adapter for my L series Canon lenses.
From the reviews that I've seen so far of the adapters, they don't look to perform very well.
Cheers.........Edwin.

Last edited:
Back