"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I have one Edwin, and everything in this album was taken with it using a G6

http://srhphoto.zenfolio.com/p1047384471

I think its a great lens. Performance wise, my copy is superb up to around 270mm where it softens a little but is still perfectly usable. Demands very good long lens technique though, and the lightweight nature of the m4/3 system doesn't help.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Simon.
I had a look at the images you took using this lens & I think they are superb.
I will wait till next pay day & purchase it.
Cheers........Edwin.

Thanks for sharing Simon.
I had a look at the images you took using this lens & I think they are superb.
I will wait till next pay day & purchase it.
Cheers........Edwin.

:). As I said, I find my copy to be superb until near the extreme of the zoom. It will take some learning though, as a 600mm equivalent FoV in a package this small and light isn't necessarily that easy to hold steady even with the built in IS.

Cheers,

Simon.

I don't always want to carry around my DSLR kit and lenses so I have just got hold of a second hand Lumix G1 with two lenses, all in perfect condition and with only 1300 actuations. the lenses are the 14-45mm and 45-200mm. It also came with a Crumpler new delhi 390 bag and spare battery all for what I would consider a bargain price which I couldn't resist.

I've been out to trial it today and I have got to say that am very impressed with the results. Nice and light and whichever lens I wasn't using easily went into my coat pocket so no need for big bulky back pack.
Although these are probably not the best lenses the results have been an eye opener.
So my next question now that I am hooked, what would be good upgrades for these lenses, I know next to nothing about the M43 system yet.

You'd need to pay a lot to improve on the 14-45mm - it's a great lens. The 45-200mm is pretty decent too, especially up to ~150mm.

I don't always want to carry around my DSLR kit and lenses so I have just got hold of a second hand Lumix G1 with two lenses, all in perfect condition and with only 1300 actuations. the lenses are the 14-45mm and 45-200mm. It also came with a Crumpler new delhi 390 bag and spare battery all for what I would consider a bargain price which I couldn't resist.

I've been out to trial it today and I have got to say that am very impressed with the results. Nice and light and whichever lens I wasn't using easily went into my coat pocket so no need for big bulky back pack.
Although these are probably not the best lenses the results have been an eye opener.
So my next question now that I am hooked, what would be good upgrades for these lenses, I know next to nothing about the M43 system yet.

The sharpness and range of both those lenses is excellent. All you're missing is a fast aperture for low light and DOF control. Try the 20mm and/or 45mm for looks that the kit lenses can't achieve. But stopped down, there's nothing wrong with the lenses you have.

One thing you could try is using old manual lenses via adapters.

I've enjoyed using Minolta Rokkor and Olympus Zuiko lenses on my G1. You should be able to get a 50mm f1.8 for under £20, a 28mm f2.8 for just a little more and an adapter for £10. They're great (cheap) fun IMVHO and it's easy to focus manually with the magnified view.

Guys, as a newbie to the whole M43 scene, with my new GX7, am I right in assuming that to go wider than 12mm (with AF), my choices are the Panasonic 7-14 F4 and the Olympus 9-18. Any thoughts (cost aside), as to which one is considered the best overall i.e. not just ultimate image quality but also, size, weight, focal range, build etc ?

Thanks.

Guys, as a newbie to the whole M43 scene, with my new GX7, am I right in assuming that to go wider than 12mm (with AF), my choices are the Panasonic 7-14 F4 and the Olympus 9-18. Any thoughts (cost aside), as to which one is considered the best overall i.e. not just ultimate image quality but also, size, weight, focal range, build etc ?

Thanks.

The 7-14 is a very nice lens and equivalent in size to a big dslr kit lens. I had one for a short time.

The other lens to look at is the 9mm bodycap from olympus - f8 fixed aperture though

Lumix gh3 plus free 25mm 1.4 leica lens + free battery and battery grip for £749 sounds like a great deal to me, must resist. :(

Just had a look and WEX are out of stock, but a few others have the GH3 body at a similar price.
I've had my eye on GH3 prices now that the GH4 is coming out - I like my GX7 a lot, but would prefer something a bit more rugged. That's a pretty good deal, and the 25mm is a lens I've been thinking of adding to my kit, so it looks like I'll be going for it when I get paid next week:)

How do you know who are "participating retailers"?

According to T&C and FAQ, any UK retailer, except through ebay. If it's from Amazon it has to be from Amazon direct, not through a seller who trades through Amazon.
So any UK based high st or internet store will be eligible.

According to T&C and FAQ, any UK retailer, except through ebay. If it's from Amazon it has to be from Amazon direct, not through a seller who trades through Amazon.
So any UK based high st or internet store will be eligible.
Great, cheers

Alan,
played with your pic in http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp as I found it works well with the Samy. They have a free trial....
What Fstop are you shooting at?
Andrew

Thanks Andrew - this was something like f16 to get the shutter speed down for motion blur. As you probably know with the samyang it's manual aperture.

With "selfies" being so passe, Bloater's invented the "Roadie" ... :ty:

I like it :)

Thanks Andrew - this was something like f16 to get the shutter speed down for motion blur. As you probably know with the samyang it's manual aperture.

Yeah, I tend not to go beyond F11 on mine as the diffraction sets it.

...Which really isn't that important when you're going for motion blur :D

Calm down it wasn't a criticism! I asked purely because it is manual set and does not appear in EXIF! But, if you wanted more motion blur you could have pressed a little harder on the loud pedal!

Tried to get some motion blur at work, but I could not stop it down enough, so went with a static shot!

OK I admit it, I really missed my old Canon 5D! So I got myself another big-body Canon (a 1D Mkii this time), but the GX7 will still be getting plenty of use. A shot of the pooch from a recent trip up north to see the in-laws.

Pooch and Family
by Jimwah, on Flickr

Been a while since I posted anything on this thread so here's one from Monday evening. Just got myself a Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8, and I've been impressed so far.

Holmfirth by MarkLG1973, on Flickr

Back