"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Thank you for the good advice Andy I will give it a go, and check my settings. My lens is the 14-42 kit lens, is this a budget lens compared to the 14-45?

Am very excited, just found out that I have won Lumix Lifestyle's monthly challenge. This month's challenge was perfect portrait and I have won either a canvas or a box frame of this image ....

6146296833_def9996364_z.jpg

Taken with G1 and Canon FD 50mm, 1.8 lens.

Well done Sarah:clap::clap:

That 14mm look super, was thinking of getting one to compliment my 20mm

Yeah I very pleased with it, especially for £150. Definitely nice and compact for taking mountainbiking/hillwalking when attached to the GF1. Shame it's not a teensy bit faster but you can't have everything.

Out of interest, what brand/model filters do everyone use?
I'd like a CPL for my 20mm/14mm but the 46mm thread size seems rare - Hoya don't seem to make any of their better models (Pro1 etc) smaller than 52mm. My local Jessops didn't have any CPLs at all in 46mm (lost sale for them!).

In your case I would go for the 14-140. If you went with the 45-200 you will be starting with 90mm at 35mm equivalent (not including the 20mm). I like the 14-140 and may get one one day but other lenses are required 1st.

Still deciding on what lens would be best. 14-140 is shorter but heavier. Still not sure which one would be better for IQ. 14-42 + 40-150 or the 14-140. Difference in reach is quite a bit, but having an all in one lens would probably really suit my needs... just dont want to sacrifice IQ a great deal!

Anyone have a pic of the 14-140 mounted on the G3?

Last edited:
Also.. is it normal for the 14-42 to rattle when its not mounted and the camera is on? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the OIS?

Also.. is it normal for the 14-42 to rattle when its not mounted and the camera is on? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the OIS?

My 14-42 does rattle but just a little bit. It's more than likely the OIS. Im sure it's nowt to worry about.

More questions! Anyone got a screen protector on there G3? I got some Vikuiti ones but they are slightly too big and dont adhere to the corners too well.

No screen protector as yet - but to reply to your earlier thread my 14-42 rattles as well !

Cant find many protectors out there - I always like to get them... I'm accident prone without even realising it!

Okay so my plans of going full frame again have taken a little detour. I've been saving my pennies really careful for the switch but I hadn't anticipated what would happen when I casually walked into the Apple store for a nose around.

Long story short I went in to look at iPods and walked out with a shiny new MacBook Pro. Which means my camera budget has been dented and I need to revise my plans.

I was thinking about coming back to the evil side of photography.

My thoughts:

GF3
14mm f2.8
25mm f1.4 (not sure, I loved the 20mm and have no experience of this)

later pickups:

45mm f2.8
100-300 f4-5.6
G3 (Maybe, for when I want something bigger)

Peoples thoughts?

Andy I see you've picked up the 25mm, how are you getting on with it? Does anyone else have it?

Peoples thoughts?

Full frame to micro four thirds, that's a bit of a change in direction. Do you still want an FF or have you given up on the idea?

Id go straight for a G3 personally and the 20mm, but it depends on how much you want to spend, and if your going to sell it all in a few months.

Full frame to micro four thirds, that's a bit of a change in direction. Do you still want an FF or have you given up on the idea?

Id go straight for a G3 personally and the 20mm, but it depends on how much you want to spend, and if your going to sell it all in a few months.

Dictated by cash sadly... I may very well go to full frame in the future when I've built up my reserves again but it's not really an option at the moment.

The reason I'm looking at the GF3 is because I'd like something I can keep with me all the time in a pocket. The G3 would be more for when I want something more serious to slap a tele lens on.

Looking at some of the recent uploads to this thread and Flickr people are producing some good results with the m4/3 format.

I enjoyed my GF1 and PEN but low light was a bit of an issue, hopefully things have improved a bit in that sense.

Good call on the mac book pro :). I would go with the G3. I'm finding it hard coming to terms with the small lenses though! Might look out for one of the new x series ones when they are released?

Or are the GF3's worth looking at?

I'm wondering the same thing. From what I can see I'd be losing the flash hotshoe and the accessory port. However I'd gain a faster processor, increased ISO performance and full HD video recording.

I went to my local camera store today to get hands on with the GF3 and it's very small with the 14mm attached. The grip is almost no existent so I'd be reluctant to handle it without the neckstrap on but I guess that's the price I have to pay for a small pocket sized camera.

Took a few snaps at NT Bodnant Garden last week with G3 and 14-42. Weather has gone down hill a bit since then though.

6228937059_51110fecdd.jpg

6228941379_b71643362b_z.jpg

Last edited:
@Nog...love the pics with the G3, I'm waiting for better weather to get out with my G3

Took a few snaps at NT Bodnant Garden last week with G3 and 14-42. Weather has gone down hill a bit since then though.

(y)(y) Some nice pics there , shame the weather has changed still cant grumble for October . Waiting to get out with my new 100-300

gingerweasel said:
Okay so my plans of going full frame again have taken a little detour. I've been saving my pennies really careful for the switch but I hadn't anticipated what would happen when I casually walked into the Apple store for a nose around.

Long story short I went in to look at iPods and walked out with a shiny new MacBook Pro. Which means my camera budget has been dented and I need to revise my plans.

I was thinking about coming back to the evil side of photography.

My thoughts:

GF3
14mm f2.8
25mm f1.4 (not sure, I loved the 20mm and have no experience of this)

later pickups:

45mm f2.8
100-300 f4-5.6
G3 (Maybe, for when I want something bigger)

Peoples thoughts?

Andy I see you've picked up the 25mm, how are you getting on with it? Does anyone else have it?
I looked at the GF3 but was put off by the lack of a hotshoe. Ended up plumping for a GF2 due to silly cheap prices atm...

The EVF doesn't interest me too much (yet!) but I need a beefier flash that i can bounce on occasion, so ended up picking up a cheapy Metz at Jessops for £50, is doing the job so far!

The "grip" on the GF2 is also nicer than the GF3 but I've still attached the strap despite also not being a fan.

So far my teeny system owes me £430 for GF2, 14mm, 14-42mm and Metz Af24. Less than the cost of a 16-85 Nikkor, serious bargain!

Hoping to get some time outdoors this weekend, got some snapshots that make me happy so far, the body & 14mm fit into a jacket pocket or the MP3 pouch of my rucksack, so it's going EVERYWHERE with me! :) The question is, will I now be inclined to sell my current "wee" camera, the D40? Hmmm...

Last edited:
I looked at the GF3 but was put off by the lack of a hotshoe. Ended up plumping for a GF2 due to silly cheap prices atm...

The EVF doesn't interest me too much (yet!) but I need a beefier flash that i can bounce on occasion, so ended up picking up a cheapy Metz at Jessops for £50, is doing the job so far!

The "grip" on the GF2 is also nicer than the GF3 but I've still attached the strap despite also not being a fan.

I was put of the GF3 for much the same reasons, the lack of hotshoe for one and also the tiny size/poor grip - the GF2 feels much nicer in the hand. Considering the GF2 is ~£100 less than the GF3 it's worth giving it a serious look. I use mine with the Olympus kit lens which makes for a very small (basically pocketable) set up.

Another shot on the G3 Aperature priority f22

I wouldn't stop down so far on the 4/3 sensor as the pictures will suffer from diffraction (which softens the image) unless you really need the increased depth of field.

I went with the GF3 over the GF2 (changing from a GF1) as I wanted to get the size down as much as possible. I don't find it uncomfortable in the hand and I never used the accessory port or hotshoe on the GF1 so I don't miss that either but still haven't found a suitable case for it.

John

I don't get around to posting too much here these days but I wanted wish you all good things up in the Highlands David and add my condolences for the loss of your partner.

Good to see you're still out there shooting with your GF. :)

Back