Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be silly Barney...........wrong? Never.

I am wrong sometimes Brian, but only to please the proletariat, afterall, no-one likes a smart arse.

Bass & Bligh had an EVF in their Harrogate branch a while back if you're passing this way when the snow goes. Give them a call first though as it was well before xmas when I had a play with one.

I'm not always right though I hasten to add, I'm never wrong.

Reminds me, back in the dark ages I had a boss who once said " Brian, remember I'll back you up in every right decision you make".

Re the finder. What was your opinion Barney? Bass & Bligh? Sounds like a brewery.

Brian.

Last edited:
To be honest Brian, I wasn't that impressed, certainly not for the money. It it was £40 or so, I'd have plumped for one just to give a sustained try, but I didn't see that much advantage to using one.

I'm still quite happy with the 20mm lens, and barring a fast (i.e. <f2.8 45mm) coming on the market, that's what I'll stick with, so an optical finder may be just the ticket.

and barring a fast (i.e. <f2.8 45mm) coming on the market

Barney, your wish is my command.;)

LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm f/2.8 ASPH. ( I think there is a cheaper alternative)

However. I find, as I'm sure you do that the Nikkor f1.8 50mm produces startling results.

I think this illustrates the problem. £1000+ for the Leica with the ability of full automatic operation in conjunction with an optical finder or the Nikkor with the EVF...........whatever. I have just tried the LCD out in the garden and it's useless in the bright sunshine which at the moment we are enjoying.

Brian

Barney, your wish is my command.;)

LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm f/2.8 ASPH. ( I think there is a cheaper alternative)

Ah, but that's f:2.8, not <f:2.8. I have my Nikkor 45mm f:2.8 AF-P which is about the same profile as the Leica. I just can't justify that kind of outlay just to get AF, but if it were f:2 or even better f:1.n then I could well be persuaded.

Maybe I dreamt it, but I could have sworn that I saw a 45mm f:2 leica for the four/thirds mount, but I've been unable to find any trace of it since. Maybe it was a typo and it was the lens you listed. If it does exist though, that could be the answer in combination with a Panasonic adaptor (which I presume would still allow AF to function)

Ah, but that's f:2.8, not <f:2.8.

Sorry didn't understand the shorthand.

The more I think of this the more muddled I seem to get. I think the whole issue is being clouded by the fact that the Panasonic and Nikon lenses are interchangeable to an extent, this is causing my confusion.

Logically then

I have a D200 and a D300 with lenses from 12-24mm and 18-50 zoom and 20mm-85mm primes

None of the above get any usage. In fact after going DSLR my photographic interest has become zilch...........I hate the equipment.

Enter the GF1. Suddenly a stirring, the photographic sap is returning. The 20mm lens is great.

If money was unlimited of course it would be easy, a 7-18mm, 20mm and Leica 45mm with about 6 Voigtlander optical finders.

The alternative? Keep the D300 and the two zooms sell the D200 and primes to fund adding the Leica 45mm + optical finders to the GF1/20mm.

Result? chaos, it's neither fish nor foul. The Nikon stuff would still languish in the cupboard whilst I would be cursing the lack of a wide angle for the GF1.( I don't think there is a wide angle compatable prime available)

Deep down I know the answer..............get rid of the Nikon gear and buy the ultimate GF1 outfit, at least it would get used and the full facilities of the GF1 would be available ................does anyone apart from me like the idiot mode?

Brian.

Last edited:
Deep down I know the answer..............get rid of the Nikon gear and buy the ultimate GF1 outfit, at least it would get used and the full facilities of the GF1 would be available ................does anyone apart from me like the idiot mode?

Brian.
I'm with you on this one Brian. I sold all my gear to concentrate on the GF1 and it was a good move! One good reason is that I'm not tempted to keep buying every Canon lens under the sun which i was before. I have the 20mm and the 14-45mm and that's it for AF lenses. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the 14-45 as it never get's used, I'm going to have to do some tests with it to see if it's needed. I do however LOVE the 20mm, that is a real sweet lens. As for MF lenses....well I'm a sucker for those! but they are cheap in comparison!(y)

I don't think that I could ditch my DSLR but I can perfectly well understand anyone who does. The point is to enjoy photography (and I like enjoying the gear and gadgets too) and if a GF1 fulfils ones needs then selling hardly used DSLR kit is a perfectly justifiable decision.

I see my GF1 as complimenting my SLR kit like a digital version of a quality 35mm camera, so that I can take a quality camera if I don't want to take an SLR.

PS. Looking at the price of optical viewfinders in the UK I might as well take a look at the EVF thingy.

Last edited:
It's a "tools for the job" question.

I went on a long walk down on the Dorset coast last week. I would have been very pleasurable was it not for the weight of the rucksack I was carrying which had a 1D and a load of lenses in. I realised I could have taken each and every shot just as well with a GF1, apart from the fact that the 7-14 mm lens doesn't take screw-in filters (grrr! but there's a solution I'm sure). Aside from that, the GF1 looks like a winner and I'm going to buy come bonus-time in March.

However, if I'm at a rugby match under floodlights then you cant beat a 1D and some 2.8 glass.

I guess the answer therefore is just to work out what you want to shoot, and buy the right tool for the job.

Tobers, I have seen an adapter for the 20mm lens, it might have been Lee.

Yes I do realise that my little v big photographic problem is not uncommon. But as a lifetime Leica user the GF1 is almost like coming home.

I really know the answer but I hate the whole process of selling things.

Brian.

Then why sell Brian.

If the money will come in handy then you'll have to bite the bullet and sell (they have a place you can sell stuff here don't they?) but if you don't need the money why not just put the camera away, you might want to get it out again one day.

Woof I've got a problem already. This is a small section of my collection of about 200 R/F cameras.............saved just in case I go back to film.:)

P1000794.jpg

I might try the forum sales but I really do hate selling things.

Brian.

I see my GF1 as complimenting my SLR kit like a digital version of a quality 35mm camera, so that I can take a quality camera if I don't want to take an SLR.

I had four digital cameras, A D3, a D300 , a D70s and a Coolpix S210. The GF-1 has replaced the D300, D70s and Coolpix in one swoop. I'm only keeping hold of the D300 because I want the securty of a second Nikon body, I had the D70s up for sale here but there were no takers and I haven't got around to reposting it, while I'll keep the Coolpix for my daughter to play with or when I really want something tiny with me.

For me, the D3 is my ultimate pciture taking machine, while the GF-1 is the ultimate carry everywhere camera. Together I've just about all bases covered. :cool:

That is an impressive collection Brian, but everyone needs a hobby and imagine your disappointment if you did sell some cameras...and then needed or wanted them. No. It's much better to keep things I think especially considering how little some things sell for and the actual hassle involved in selling.

Barney, I think I'm ok for gear. My 20D is fine as my DSLR and will probably only get replaced when it dies or I go FF, I now have my GF1, an LX2, a Canon Ixus 80, a tiny little fixed focus Medion and my film collection includes an eos 30, Bessa R, Cononette, Trip, Jessops Quick Shot and Kodak Instamatic but inspired by Brian I think that I can buy a few more with a clear conscience.

You are right Woof everyone needs a hobby, although in collecting terms I suppose my GB stamps are the most important. However it isn't my intention to sell anything from my camera collection. But Nikon digital gear doesn't count, it has no soul and I feel that it is little more than clutter...........throw away disposables as so much is these days, no emotional attachment whatsoever.

Years ago the purchase of a camera was a big thing,nowadays you buy the latest and you walk out of the shop wondering what next weeks press will announce. When I got my first camera I was so proud, in fact I still am after 55 years ,I still cock and release the shutterr occassionally, that beautiful little Ensign Selfix 16/20 will go to my grave...........don't reckon any of the new ones will despite how many pixels they produce.

Brian.

Last edited:
Hi folks - just registered here after seeing this thread linked to on another forum. Complete noob to photography other than owning a compact (Canon Ixus 70) for a while.

Been toying with the idea of an SLR for a while but was slightly put off by the bulkiness. I do quite a bit of outdoor stuff (mostly mountain biking) so I really like the idea of the GF1 as something a bit more portable - also for trips away etc.

I was reading this review though and saw this

looking for a camera for shooting action and sports, though, you'll do better with a digital SLR. It's not the frame rate of just under three-frames-per-second that will make capturing action hard -- most cameras at this price point capture at about that rate -- it's the lack of an optical viewfinder. The LCD blacks out while you shoot in continuous mode, only showing you the last frame captured, rather than returning to the live view so that you can continue to follow your subject. You could buy a small optical viewfinder and use it to keep the camera on target, but that's still no guarantee that you'll have the images framed right at all focal lengths (unless you only plan to use the 20mm lens). Of course, you could also shoot an HD movie in Motion JPEG mode and pull a 1280x720 pixel still for Web use.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCGF1/DMCGF1A.HTM

I wouldn't be using it exclusively for action photos - but would like to take some mountain biking/snowboarding shots from time to time. Is this going to be a big problem? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any more general thoughts on whether this would be a good first 'proper' camera? It seems the pancake lens would be the one to go for initially.

Some great example shots in this thread btw - good work!

Cheers. :D

btw zoidberg did I see a picture of a converted farm building just outside Burton-in-Kendal on the road to Kirkby Lonsdale? Used to drive past there nearly every day :)

Oh yeah, and I was also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using it for gig/nightclub photos also? Would the built in flash be any use for this? Ta

Last edited:
Grum,

Although myself a newbie to the forum welcome.

The sort of questions you ask usually produce more answers than questions. But basically with the right expertise many cameras can be used for many subjects..................50 /60 years ago 5"x4" technical cameras were used for sport.

But things are rather easier these days, cameras have a more " all round" capability with less expertise from the user, although as Orwell would have said "some are more equal than others". The trouble is your requirements are poles apart, sporting photography to casual night club snapping. The answer in plain terms is the GF! isn't the first choice by a mile for the former but would certainly be a major contender for the latter.

Without going into great confusing details get the GH1, OK. it's a compromise but it's small...............check it out. But for your needs there are loads of DSLRs available at budgets to suit most pockets, all of them are probably better for sport then the GF1. But for ltravel/ casual work perhaps only a Leica M9 would be better than a GF!. ( a very debatable subject ).............with a decent lens? ££7,000 ish .

To summarise, and it's only my opinion.

1) Sport..............0%
2) General travel...100%
3) Casual snapping...100%

But again, it's my opinion and although 0% for sport might appear draconian the GF1 would certainly not figure on the my list. I'm not saying you can't photograph sport with the GF1 but that there are far far better options at far far lower prices.

Brian.

P..S. Funnily enough re-reading the above I realised that if the question had been based re buying an M9 my answer would have been exactly the same. :) I see the GF1 as a niche type product, exactly like a range finder Leica but automatic. Now if only it had a decent viewfinder.:(

Last edited:
Just to add to Brian's reply, if you want to shoot sport and nightclubs then the Nikon D3 or D3s would be the ideal type of camera, but with the range of fast lenses you'd need you'd be spending a similar amount to a M9 set up.

You will be able to shoot mountain biking and snowboarding as long as you can get close enough to action and the light's good enough you'll get a fast enough shutter speed and you won't need too long a focal length. The 20mm f:1.7 would be ideal for getting shots in the given environemnt, but you'll probably need to prefocus as the AF won't be fast enough.

As for a general carry everywhere, travel, family/friends, street or reportage camera, the GF-1 is ideal. I't a good first 'proper' camera, but there are cheaper DSLR options if you're not fraid of having a much bulkier system. I have a GF-1 to compliment my DSLR, but other have replaced theirs completely.

Thanks for the replies - I realise I am probably after the moon on a stick :)

I suppose the aspect that really appeals about the GF1 is the portability. Even if it is far from ideal for shooting sports stuff it will still be better at it than a DSLR which is sat at home because I didn't bother to take it out with me.

I have used my brother's DSLR a little bit and I just can't imagine taking it out with me on too many walking/climbing/biking trips.

I suppose realistically most of the pics I take would fall into this category 'general carry everywhere, travel, family/friends, street or reportage camera'. Looking through my pics taken with the compact most of my favourite ones are landscape shots really.

Hmmm.... decisions decisions.....

Hi Graham from a GraEME,

I too am a newbie here and I have just bought a GF1 after selling my Leica M8 and lenses. I have been into photography for 30 years and have had lots of different cameras. The GF1 is a fantastic camera and both the 14-45 and the 20mm pancake are good lenses. I would say the GF1 is the nearest to "the moon on a stick" as you are going to find. Yes, the others are right that it is not the perfect camera for taking sports/action shots but I think 0% is a little unfair. If you wish to take photos whilst snowboarding and maintain biking yourself the a big Nikon SLR is not going to be any fun and you will probably think "I'll not bother taking the camera today". The best sports action camera in the world is no good sat in its bag at home. That for me is what sold this camera for me, the fact that you have the benefits of an SLR that is small enough to take anywhere.

Hi Graeme and thanks for the response. I will need to sell a few bits and pieces to fund it but I am pretty much set on it I think.

It is more for documenting my own trips out biking/walking/snowboarding etc than taking serious action sports photography that I would be interested in.

I think that one thing in the GF1's favour when considering it for action shots is that it meters and focuses quickly, hardly surprising as it owes DSLR's it's genetics. I find that the GF1 works much more quickly than an ordinary compact camera which would be more or less useless for action shots.

I find that the GF1 works much more quickly than an ordinary compact camera which would be more or less useless for action shots.

I quite agree Woof but the OP 's question was related to comparing a GF1 to a SLR, not a compact.

The reason I give the GF1 such a low rating for action photography is that I find the LCD little more than useless in sunny conditions, that and holding the camera as if one were crowning the May Queen. Perhaps with the EVF it might improve, I doubt it as in my experience EVF are terrible in a panning situation, something to do with refresh rates. And of course this doesn't help.

The LCD blacks out while you shoot in continuous mode, only showing you the last frame captured, rather than returning to the live view so that you can continue to follow your subject.

But as I said it is only my opinion and as I have never had the faintest inclination to photograph any sports......................................:bonk: but if I did think of indulging the GF1 woldn't even be on the list, hence my scoring it 0%.

Brian.

Last edited:
"but the OP 's question was related to comparing a GF1 to a SLR, not a compact."

Yes, but see my opening sentence.

Woof nobody is saying that your statement is wrong, yes it is true that the GF1 beats most compacts for response times but that wasn't the OP's querry. He was debating between the GF1 and a DSLR. You were the first to introduce the " compact" into the equation.

But in view of my second quote

The LCD blacks out while you shoot in continuous mode, only showing you the last frame captured, rather than returning to the live view so that you can continue to follow your subject.

I am now tempted to revise my 0% rating into a minus...I wasn't aware that the above happened. But for action photography a camera that shows in the viewfinder the subject where it was when the previous exposure was made leaving you to guess where it is now doesn't in my book inspire confidence. In fact when I read it I had to try it to prove that it was true.............it is, and I presume the EVF will do exactly the same. Yes I do realise this " shooting blind" is in continuous mode but surely that is the most used for action photography?

Although I know nothing about it maybe the Olympus 4/3 might be worth the OP's consideration.. I believe it has an optical viewfinder, or am I wrong?

However as I said it's all a bit academic for me as I don't " do" sport.

Brian.

Last edited:
I guess the comparison with a compact is valid, as that's all I have at the moment - I suspect the results I could get with the GF1 would be so much better I would probably be pretty happy with them.

Again, I'm not really wanting to take serious action photos of events - just get some nice shots when out on my own trips etc

Saw this as well, which doesn't sound too bad.

The DMC-GF1 is certainly not going to win any awards for its continuous shooting performance. It doesn't have a ton of buffer memory, so any bursts involving RAW images end quickly (well, they don't end, they just slow down dramatically). If you're shooting JPEGs, however, it can keep firing away until your memory card fills up. The frame rates I experienced were lower than the 2 and 3 fps numbers advertised by Panasonic. Oh, the LCD keeps up nicely with the action, so you should be able to track a moving subject.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_gf1-review/look-and-feel

I don't shoot more than one picture at a time so the frame rate doesn't really worry me. I know that it may not be the purest thing to do but adopting a machine gun approach in some situations and then sorting out the good from the bad on the pc is ok considering you can get hundreds of shots on one memory card. I shoot RAW but even so my card can accommodate over 200 photo's, I forget exactly how many but easily enough for a day / night out, more if you shoot JPEG.

Oh, the LCD keeps up nicely with the action, so you should be able to track a moving subject.

But as you have already noted, not in continuous mode. Another example of taking reviews with a pinch of salt.

I think Graham it would be very interesting to find out why you are attracted to the GF1 as opposed to something like the Canon G11 ( if that is the current model ) Or even the G10 which is now available for around £250.....and reckoned by some to be better than the latest model.

Whilst I'm here I have a couple of question.

Are Olympus Micro 4/3 lenses totally compatable with the GF1?

Ditto 4/3 when using that terribly expensive adapter?

How can you use the Nikon 12-24mm without it closing down to the minimum aperture? Answers involving Blue Tac will be ignored.

Where can I get a smart leather strap to replace the tacky supplied thing, or a wrist strap?

Does anyone else use the idiot....whoops sorry..........intelligent mode?

I see the EVF is now getting up to the £200 mark with postage, any ideas, that's a lot of money to end up as I suspect for something that will end up in the wheelie bin..

Re the first two I realise re the IS but what you've never had you'll never miss. Only it seems to me that the Olympus range of lenses leave Panasonic lacking, look at that lovely f2 zoom.:)

In fact I am wondering if I made the right choice with the GF1 rather than the Olympus.

Brian.

Last edited:
But as you have already noted, not in continuous mode. Another example of taking reviews with a pinch of salt.

I think Graham it would be very interesting to find out why you are attracted to the GF1 as opposed to something like the Canon G11 ( if that is the current model ) Or even the G10 which is now available for around £250.....and reckoned by some to be better than the latest model.

Brian.

Is it wrong that the main reason is I don't really like the look/feel of them when I picked one up? :)

From the examples I've seen on line the top end Canon compacts can't match the GF1 image quality away from base ISO.

I know that viewing images on line doesn't tell you everything but I think that it's understandable as the 4/3 image sensor is so much larger than that in the Canon Gxx models.

I have an LX2, which just like the Canon Gxx range is a higher end compact which has a tiny sensor and although I like it it's speed of responce and picture quality can not match that of the GF1.

Proof is in the pudding though, and the only way to be sure is to try a shortlist of cameras out and see if you like the handling, speed of operation and picture quality.

No Graham there is nothing wrong in that. In fact nobody can fault you but it rather limits any advice that can be offered other than " Go for it". :)

Woof I quite agree but

Complete noob to photography other than owning a compact (Canon Ixus 70) for a while.

my answers were based on the posters information re his level of photographic expertise. And a Canon G11 will certainly blow his Ixus output into the tall grass, for little outlay.

The GF1 is a fairly expensive system to buy into and nobody would pretend that it has the versatility of the DSLR. However many of us are prepared to put up with the restrictions, we reckon the benifits are more important. But I think that most buying these Micro 4/3 cameras have been around the block a few times, for the beginner? I'm not sure. If the OP had asked for advice re moving on from his Ixus I reckon most of us would have advised a budget DSLR with a kit lens..............very few would have suggested a GF1.

But what do I know, I'm already thinking of kicking the GF1 into touch for the EP2.

Just had another thought. Oh no I hear them cry! Seriously, surely the Panasonic 20mm lens mounted on the EP2 becomes IS! Clever old Olympus. :)

Brian.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of videos I've taken:

Hockey fight

Hockey girls (Beats watching the fat arse of a groundsman stamping divots in at halftime at the football eh? :naughty: )

One thing I hadn't considered is that you can;t easily adjust the white balance on video so you have to get it right before you start shooting.

I use AVS Video Converter which I had as part of the suite of software. I use the audio programme to rip audio for ringtones. I've not used it much, but it seems to be the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back