Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised if you had a problem to be honest, there's nothing stopping you holding your camera close to your face (I do) and to be honest I'm no longer missing a viewfinder.

just updated my firmware to 1.1, dead easy, downloaded it from here:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html

then copied the *.bin file (body first then after it was installed you do the lens, after deleting the body update file)

press the "play" button and let it update.

will let you know what I find tomorrow! :)

MrNutt: Thanks for the instruction on updating the body & lens firmware, now it's version 1.1 for both body & lens.

Now, will one of you GF owners tell me how feasible it might be to mount, say, a 150mm faster prime on the end of one of these, and manual focus it using the screen? Or is the EVF an essential for critical longer focus work? Because the only thing holding me back right now is that at some point I will want to head to the zoo and shoot some critters with a long prime wide open...
Should be a doddle. There are plenty of adapters out there and lenses. Just remember to turn 'MF Assist' ON in the menu and that the sensor is x2 so a 150mm lens will be 300mm equivalent. I find that for walk about / street the 20mm f1.7 is a joy of joy's. It's like having a Canon 50m f1.4 on a dslr!

I love using MF lenses and have a little collection of them. Check out my Flickr (link on signature). I am after a couple of Olympus Zuiko Manual lenses at the mo as i love them.

there's nothing stopping you holding your camera close to your face (I do
True unless you wear vario/bifocal glasses, then the camera must be held at normal reading distance, or buy special glasses.

The viewfinder ain't bad, but it ain't good. For spectacle users it has a decent amount of dioptre adjustment and eye relief, but resolution wise...........not good, in fact I find it easier to adjust the focus without using the image magnifier.

For me it's got to be all singing dedicated lenses. I got the Novaflex adapter, had a play and quite honestly that's enough.

For me no matter how good a camera is in the final analysis the viewfinder is the most important single component. I gave up Leicas because I found that with ageing eyesight they had just become a pain, and Leica finders are on another planet compared to the EVF.

Andy,

I find that for walk about / street the 20mm f1.7 is a joy of joy's.

Exactly, it's a dedicated lens. Now for the new ( yet to be announced ) 10-45mm F1.7 Pancake :clap:

I enjoyed looking at your piccies of Brighton, well being a Brightonian ( well Hove actually) I would. But most of them are hardly of the " reportage" "grab it on the run" market that perhaps I incorrectly associate with the GF1 type camera..........in other words the modern day version of the R/F camera.But anyway I enjoyed, thanks.

Note: I didn't look at them all, my feet were beginning to hurt :)

Brian.

Last edited:
....Now for the new ( yet to be announced ) 10-45mm F1.7 Pancake :clap: ...

I wish there were another fast pancake in that range coming soon from Panny/Leica, but all I can see for this year are the 14mm f/2.8, 8mm fisheye, and the 100-300 f/4-5.6 - do you have some insider knowledge? I'm not really interested in any of those. If the 14mm was f/2 or faster, maybe, but even then I'd prefer something faster and closer to an effective 85mm focal length.

Should be a doddle. There are plenty of adapters out there and lenses. Just remember to turn 'MF Assist' ON in the menu and that the sensor is x2 so a 150mm lens will be 300mm equivalent. I find that for walk about / street the 20mm f1.7 is a joy of joy's. It's like having a Canon 50m f1.4 on a dslr!

I love using MF lenses and have a little collection of them. Check out my Flickr (link on signature). I am after a couple of Olympus Zuiko Manual lenses at the mo as i love them.

Hi Andy - I really enjoyed the Brighton pics as well. The one of the flock of birds in particular.

I had a look at your pics of the GF1 with different lenses/adaptors - just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a very brief idiots guide to which lenses will work with which adaptors, where you got the bits from, and roughly how much they all cost you?

I see there are lots of adaptors for the GF1 for relatively cheap on ebay from Hong Kong etc - are these ok?

Would be much appreciated.

(y)

Another quick question, just to confirm.

I know that there's an effective focal length doubling [OK, OK, an angle of view halving to be precise..] and that with the 4/3 sensor, an f/1.4 lens would actually display a depth of field equivalent to f/2.8 [i.e 2 stops deeper.]

But, if you're shooting say a 300mm/2.8 wide open; even though the resultant angle of view and DOF will equate to 600mm f/5.6 FF equivalent, will the shutter speed be the same as using that f/2.8 on a full frame? I'm sure this is the case - using the sensor to overcome the inherent links between focal length, aperture and shutterspeed - but I'm tying myself in knots trying to get my math right...

Last edited:
What you'll be trying to get is a good exposure so what will come into play is the ISO, aperture and shutter speed. I can't see that the format size affects that. If you need 1/150 at f8 at ISO 100 then that's what you'll need, 4/3, APS-C, FF or whatever. Surely? Zoom length or crop wont matter, will it?

A chap could give himself a headache...:LOL:

Hi Andy - I really enjoyed the Brighton pics as well. The one of the flock of birds in particular.

I had a look at your pics of the GF1 with different lenses/adaptors - just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a very brief idiots guide to which lenses will work with which adaptors, where you got the bits from, and roughly how much they all cost you?

I see there are lots of adaptors for the GF1 for relatively cheap on ebay from Hong Kong etc - are these ok?

Would be much appreciated.

(y)

Thanks for looking at my pics (you too Brian!)

I'll get back to you later with all requests as i'm at work at the moment but the Hong Kong adapters are great and came within a week or so. Manual Focus lenses are slowly going up in price but there are bargains to be had still. The Helios 44/2 [58mm f2] can be picked up for about £10-£15 on the bay and they are great lenses. Look to pay arround £35-£80 for decent 50mm lens and £80-150 for really good stuff. Leica are mega expensive unless you get really lucky. Look in charity shops, markets and boot fairs for real bargains.

I'll PM you later with more details. :)

What you'll be trying to get is a good exposure so what will come into play is the ISO, aperture and shutter speed. I can't see that the format size affects that. If you need 1/150 at f8 at ISO 100 then that's what you'll need, 4/3, APS-C, FF or whatever. Surely? Zoom length or crop wont matter, will it?

A chap could give himself a headache...:LOL:

Headache is correct... get a load of this...!

The only interaction that focal length plays is the need to stop down for better depth of field at longer focal lengths with near-distance subjects [I'm thinking birds in the back garden, that sort of thing.] But I see a 4/3 advantage..

Example: Whereas on a D700 I'd need f/8 for a reasonable DOF at 300mm and subject at 15 feet, I could achieve that same DOF with f/5.6 on an APS-C and f/4 on a 4/3 sensor, due to the inherent extra DoF the smaller sensor yields. Given that I'm two stops brighter, I assume that the metered exposure is also two stops faster for the same finished image.

The disadvantage is that for wafer thin DOF, you'll only get so far on 4/3 - an f/1.4 prime wide open would give a similar result to an f/2.8 on FF. Fortunately, the 4/3 lens mount means compatibility with all manner of older MF fast glass. As long as you're prepared to manual focus using the screen [and here's where I see an advantage for the 420k screen of the GF-1 over the 230k screen of the EP-1], then there's plenty of choice available.

if I'm correct, then your example of 1/150 at f/8 ISO 100 gives a FF DoF equivalent to f/16 at that same focal length. Assuming you only need [the FF DoF equivalent of] f/8, then you can afford to go down to f/4 - and your shutter speed for the same exposure becomes 1/600.

I think...

Yes, I see what you mean.

I posted some pictures on page 9 comparing my 20D to my GF1 and although the DoF and zoom lengths aren't exactly equal (I only guessed) I think that it proves your point. You'll be able to use a wider aperture and therefore a faster shutter speed to achieve the same exposure and the same DoF result but be ultimately limited in how little DoF you can get.

Slightly off tack here but i thought i would just say that at work yesterday someone bought in a Canon G11 for me to look at and although it was feature full i couldn't help thinking how cheap and plasticy it felt. It was big and uncomfortable to hold due to it being very chunky. DOF was the same in the view finder at f2.8 and f8 which was all it went up to. I was considering getting one before i bought the GF1 but i'm SO glad i didn't. The GF1 is much much better built. I'm not trying to put people off the G11or slag it off as it's still a damn good camera but i would have the GF1 or Olympus Pen all day long.

Re the shape and size of the GF1 I have never had a camera of which I have been so aware of dropping it. In the past I have usually wrapped the strap around my right wrist, close to the camera body. With the GF1 it just doesn't feel secure, it feels slippery. I have seen one wriststrap but it was rather inelegant, any ideas? I think the problem is the lack of a non slip area around the little raised grip thingy

Mean't to say re the EVF, it's a lot smaller mounted on the camera than I expected..........it might in fact be smaller than the EP1 version ( although that's a guess)

Brian

Last edited:
Yummy!!!!

I have a question for all you GF1 users. I wanted to move from point and shoot to dSLR and was going to buy the Nikon D90.

But i'm very unlikely to go beyond shooting family pictures and when we go on days out. or maybe some garden flowers etc.

But i want more then a point and shoot and like the idea of the GF1 which is compact so making it more likely i'll use it but offers better options then P & S

But what would be the disadvantages of the GF1 over the D90 or another dSLR

1)Performance in low light?
2)Not as much control for Flash i.e you can't have a Flash to say bounce of or can you?
3)No view finder, unless you get addon which means you can't have separate Flash at same time

Now i'm unsure if to build a EVIL System or a dSLR system if you could only have one but were only doing limited photography would the GF1 suffice

I don't know the Nikon but i went from a Panasonic Lumix TZ6 (still got it and love it!) to a Canon 40d and i found this size of camera to big and bulky. The GF1 (in my opinion) does just about everything the DSLR's do and is a manageable size plus they really are built well. For your needs it would be perfect as you can use the iA function (intelligent auto) for family etc and play with the manual settings for fun. Just make sure you get the 20mm f1.7 lens as it's a stonkingly good lens. I have the 14-45mm also and at the same Fstop the quality is pretty similar.

1: Low light performance is pretty good with the 20mm lens. Don't forget you can fit cheap manual focus lenses on too.
2: I know jack about flash but i can't see why you would not have the same control as a DSLR.
3: Who needs a view finder? I don't! If you are happy with the P&S then the GF1 will be fine.

I love my GF1. Best camera i have ever had!

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Andy.

I've got a old Konica Minolta Z3 Point and shoot super zoom (about 5 years old) which actually does have a view finder and i've found it a lot easier to frame good shots only reason for question but then again it's probably got like a 1 inch screen

Anyone else got or used both dSLR and GF1

I'm tempted to go for one but then Nikon have press conference on 3rd of Feb maybe they got an EVIL up the sleeve 2010 is going to be EVIL maybe

Anyone else got or used both dSLR and GF1

I'm tempted to go for one but then Nikon have press conference on 3rd of Feb maybe they got an EVIL up the sleeve 2010 is going to be EVIL maybe

Yes, I have both Nikon DSLRs and a GF-1. In answer to your questions:

1)Performance in low light?
- Well, it's not going to match a D90, and high ISO isn;t the GF-1's strong point, but waht low light situations are you expecting and how large will you be using the images? Answer these questions and we'll have a clearer understanding of whether the GF-1 will meet your requirements

2)Not as much control for Flash i.e you can't have a Flash to say bounce of or can you?
- There's just as much control if you take the flash of camera and use triggers. On camera there's not as much choice, but then if you want to do a lot of flash work I'd say a DSLR would suit you better.

3)No view finder, unless you get addon which means you can't have separate Flash at same time
- Viewfinders are essential in some circumstances, but are not required for the areas where the GF-1 excels.

I have a 50D and a GF1, amongst other cameras and I'm using the GF1 more and more, because the weight of my dslr kit is starting to annoy me. There IS a difference in IQ between the 50D and the GF1 but I'm beginning to convince myself that, considering that all I do is print 6x4s and the odd A4 for my own enjoyment, the difference is insignificant and I really don't need to lug the dslr everywhere.

The GF1 is a stunning little camera, I have the 20mm and the 14-45, I really want the 45-200 to complete the set since I enjoy telephotography and will be taking that kit on holiday this year. If it proves up to the job, the dslr and lenses will be up for sale.

Right all i need now is the 7-14mm and i think im sorted :)

Got the GF1 with the EVF
20mm
14-45mm
45-20mm
A manual Vivitar flash (works great, especially off camera with my skyports)

and it all fits into my Crumpler pretty boy that struggled to get a 5D, 24-70mm and a 580EXII without it overflowinf

Wouldnt part with my DSLR stuff but it sure does make a handy, inconspicuous camera setup

:clap:

I guess that quite a few people here have a DSLR and a GF1, I got my GF1 to use when I don't want to carry a DSLR and I only got the 20mm lens with it.

I think that my DSLR provides more flexibility (I have more lenses for it) and I think that my DSLR is easier to use as it has an optical viewfinder and slightly better controls and menu (from my own point of view.) I think that my 20D (quite old these days) also has better higher ISO performance than the GF1. However, I think that the GF1 is the best non DSLR digital camera I have used. I'd prefer it to have a built in optical viewfinder, a better way of moving the focus point and returning it to the centre position and perhaps a "my menu" where I can put the few items that I want to access, a focus distance scale would also be nice. Other than that, it's great and you should buy one.

Thanks all i think DSLR is over kill for me but i'm thinking this is not much cheaper then a entry level DSLR and with 20mm lens it near enough the price of a D90 with kit lens.

But then i'm thinking, i'm never going to use the D90 as i'll think can't be bothered too big, will i ever push it to limit.

But all your advice valuable and as mentioned i need to think which situation would i really find the gf1 wanting if any.

Thanks all i think DSLR is over kill for me but i'm thinking this is not much cheaper then a entry level DSLR and with 20mm lens it near enough the price of a D90 with kit lens.

But then i'm thinking, i'm never going to use the D90 as i'll think can't be bothered too big, will i ever push it to limit.

But all your advice valuable and as mentioned i need to think which situation would i really find the gf1 wanting if any.

The best camera is the one you have with you. There's no point having a Nikon D3X if it's at home when you need it For me the Gf-1 gives me excellent results in a small enough package that I can easily take with me anywhere. My D3 is for times when I am going out with the specifc purpose of photogrpahy in mind, the D300 has now been relagated to my 2nd body for events.

The best camera is the one you have with you. There's no point having a Nikon D3X if it's at home when you need it For me the Gf-1 gives me excellent results in a small enough package that I can easily take with me anywhere. My D3 is for times when I am going out with the specifc purpose of photogrpahy in mind, the D300 has now been relagated to my 2nd body for events.

Agreed :clap: except the Nikon bit ;)

I suppose somebody has to be out of step, so it might as well be me.

In my book the GF1 is for very well heeled point and shoot users, as a back up for a full blown DSLR, or for those who just cannot be arsed to lug the latter around. Also for those of us who have never liked reflex cameras enjoying instead the simple delights of the rangefinder type camera.

It is my opinion that anyone setting out with the intention of taking up photography as a hobby is far better served with a budget DSLR, or if size really is important the G!. Nadeem say's he only wants to photograph the family and some flowers. and to do that he has been looking at the D90....Oh Yea, we all know where for many of us that lead.

I am afraid that I must disagree with Barney over the viewfinder. As I have said before I believe that the GF1 strength is in the same field as the Leica R/F a camera whose success was based firmly upon the excellence of itg the viewfinder. In fact I might be the only person on the planet who would suggest chucking the LCD to make room for a decent optical finder system, I didn't have a " did I press the right knob" facility back in the good old days.

Again if this question had been asked in a Canon section I quarantee the G11 would have got a mention.

This post takes me into the realms of being able to sell my Nikon equipment D200/ D300 and a rake of rather expensive lenses, so am I going to rush over to the traders room? Quite honestly I don't know. If I do I shall buy a G1 to back up my GF!.

Brian.

Last edited:
I saw and played with the new Olympus PEN 2 Wednesday. Much the same as before. Viewfinder is better, better than the PEN 1 and the Panny, but for me, the camera is much the same as before. Even the screen has kept its low res status. I cannot believe Olympus did not put more dots on the rear LCD. The fact is that rear screens sell cameras, despite what everyone says. The body is black, designed to mimic the GF1 but Panasonic will not be troubled by it.

That said, Sanyo make cameras for Olympus so what can you say about that...?

Furthermore, it has been confirmed that both Canon and Nikon are expressly interested in micro 4/3rds and cameras are well into the 'R and D' stage....

Last edited:
The best camera is the one you have with you.

I think thats the nail on the head an i know either way whatever i buy now i'll end up buying the other latter i've caught the bug and i don't even have any equipment apart from old p&s

Time to begin saving

"...chucking the LCD to make room for a decent optical finder system,"

I'm nearly but not quite with you there Brian. It has to have a display of some sort or another means for setting ISO, aperture and shutter speed and formatting the card but I suppose that these could be displayed on a LCD or beneath an OVF like in a DSLR.

I haven't got and don't miss a huge high definition display on the back of my DSLR and I'm happy with a small and low resolution display. Perhaps a good compromise for a GF1 type camera would be to have an OVF and a small and basic review screen for accessing the menu and checking the histogram and composition.

However, I'm sure that those who like and use the x10 manual focus will object as would those who'd see any digital camera with a small low resolution screen as an old fashioned piece of crap as the standard upgrade to a camera these days seems to be more mp and a bigger and higher resolution screen. I can't see most people or the manufacturers marketing department bucking that trend by either taking the screen off or fitting what looks like a small crappy one.

Last edited:
Just like to say that I made a trip to Mathers this afternoon and now have a GF1 with 20mm lens sat in front of me!!!! :)

Sadly I now have to go to work but I will get to have a play this weekend and hopefully post some pics next week.

Thanks to everyone for their words of wisdom. :) :) :)

BTW if anyone is thinking of buying, the free 3 year extended warranty offer available in store runs out at the end of the month.

Slightly off tack here but i thought i would just say that at work yesterday someone bought in a Canon G11 for me to look at and although it was feature full i couldn't help thinking how cheap and plasticy it felt. It was big and uncomfortable to hold due to it being very chunky. DOF was the same in the view finder at f2.8 and f8 which was all it went up to. I was considering getting one before i bought the GF1 but i'm SO glad i didn't. The GF1 is much much better built. I'm not trying to put people off the G11or slag it off as it's still a damn good camera but i would have the GF1 or Olympus Pen all day long.

I didn't find the G10 to be all that plasticky, maybe the G11 is different, however the viewfinder on it was a joke and I'm not a fan of using an LCD, so the thing stayed in the house, which is pointless.

Re the shape and size of the GF1 I have never had a camera of which I have been so aware of dropping it. In the past I have usually wrapped the strap around my right wrist, close to the camera body. With the GF1 it just doesn't feel secure, it feels slippery. I have seen one wriststrap but it was rather inelegant, any ideas? I think the problem is the lack of a non slip area around the little raised grip thingy

I've got an Op/tech wrist strap on mine, but I get the feeling it wouldn't be to your taste (probably the inelegant one you refer to), an alternative would be the skin you can buy to stick on the camera body, it comes in a variety of textures, including a Leica-like one

4295801540_7e7de24039.jpg

I'm not convinced it works on a GF-1 though....

I meant to ask, how do you find the Nikon 45mm pancake lens on the GF-1?

I meant to ask, how do you find the Nikon 45mm pancake lens on the GF-1?

To be honest, I really haven't had chance to find out. I bought it specifically for portraits, but thus far I'm been shooting almost solely with the 20mm f:1.7.

Part of the problem was manual focus was tricky, but I'ev now updated the firmware and it's a whole load easier with the single puch on the scroll wheel to zoom in.

I'm going to start the 100 Strangers project on flickr and so will be looking to use it then.

I should get some chance to mess around with it some more this weekend though and I'll post the results I get.

If a single punch on the wheel calls up the focus how to you change the aperture and shutter speed?

I don't see any point in manual focus with the 20mm lens so I presume your question relates to manual lenses. Wirh a manual lens you set the aperture on the aperture ring then the shutter speed will be highlighted pushing the rear dial will do nothing but bring the magnifyer into play.Of course turning the rear dial will still change the shutter speeds. Of course with dedicated lenses twisting the focussing ring brings up the magnifier.

Brian.

Last edited:
I haven't updated my firmware, I don't know if I should bother or not. :thinking:

I did and found absolutely no difference to anything?!?!?!?!?

Well today was a good day...my GF1 bought in the classifieds forum arrived by RMSD from Chillimonster (as new condition - thanks Chris you sure did wrap it in cotton wool). So far I'm very impressed, very solid, high quality, beautifully made, fast focussing and very good results up to ISO 800 depending on how large you want to print.

I think this will be a keeper, the 20mm lens is a real cracker, and the 14-45 will be a good all rounder. It's a very nice piece of kit indeed!

Last edited:
Happy new camera :)

Well today was a good day...my GF1 bought in the classifieds forum arrived by RMSD from Chillimonster (as new condition - thanks Chris you sure did wrap it in cotton wool). So far I'm very impressed, very solid, high quality, beautifully made, fast focussing and very good results up to ISO 800 depending on how large you want to print.

I think this will be a keeper, the 20mm lens is a real cracker, and the 14-45 will be a good all rounder. It's a very nice piece of kit indeed!

Nice one. Join the (happy) family!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back