The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Might get that instead of the GM then if it that good.. Are GM really that much better why the hype?

16-35 F4 Zeiss

OR

Tamron 17-28 f2.8?

depends on what you are after really

Tamron is lighter, smaller, faster. 67mm filter thread.
Sony Zeiss is wider and longer. 72mm filter thread.

IQ wise I don't think there is enough between them to really have to care about it.

The new sigma 14-24mm f2.8 on the other hand is insanely sharp! I dare say I think its sharper than the GM too.

Anyone use macro lens on there Sony. If so which. I did like sigma for the money

I have the Sony 90mm its the best macro lens I have used.

The only other option if you want autofocus which while not needed for macro can be useful if you want to use it for other things are the Sony 50mm which is supposed to not be very good and the Sigma 70mm which I don't know anything about.

The Sony 90mm is a G lens by the way there is no GM macro lens, a lot of people say though that it should have been given the GM name as it performs so well.

If you are just using it for macro just keep the lens you have and get an adaptor.

Peak Design released v2 versions of their everyday bags yesterday, haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere. But I know a lot like their stuff.

Well I have been setting up my camera this morning as it only the real time i had to set it up and play with the different settings... Weather is crap again so been trying to find something to take images of indoor and yes same bloody thing get taken of apart from the Teddy on the daughter bed lol.

The dog thinking omg not another bloody camera when will he stop taking images of me lol

DSC01201.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

Well I have been setting up my camera this morning as it only the real time i had to set it up and play with the different settings... Weather is crap again so been trying to find something to take images of indoor and yes same bloody thing get taken of apart from the Teddy on the daughter bed lol.

The dog thinking omg not another bloody camera when will he stop taking images of me lol

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

cute pup. certainly nothing wrong with that 85mm is there.

Can I ask those of you who had the A7iii as well as the A9 doesn't the A9 just feel different and better in you hands even though I know it the same design apart from the extra dial..

Can I ask those of you who had the A7iii as well as the A9 doesn't the A9 just feel different and better in you hands even though I know it the same design apart from the extra dial..

The a9 has magnesium alloy for the front, side, and rear covers, whereas the a7 III is missing the magnesium alloy on the rear. There is a little bit of difference in the buttons as well with the A9 being a little more tactile. In short just better made.

The a9 has magnesium alloy for the front, side, and rear covers, whereas the a7 III is missing the magnesium alloy on the rear. There is a little bit of difference in the buttons as well with the A9 being a little more tactile. In short just better made.

Yes i agree i just feels it a better made camera and for some reason feel better in the hands no idea why. Also I am pretty sure the while on top are different too from he A7iii did the A7iii have a lock button

I have the Sony 90mm its the best macro lens I have used.

The only other option if you want autofocus which while not needed for macro can be useful if you want to use it for other things are the Sony 50mm which is supposed to not be very good and the Sigma 70mm which I don't know anything about.

The Sony 90mm is a G lens by the way there is no GM macro lens, a lot of people say though that it should have been given the GM name as it performs so well.

If you are just using it for macro just keep the lens you have and get an adaptor.

I had one and the focus was all over the place. I tried it at all distances and nothing helped. Sometimes it would lock on but if I shifted to another subject and then went back to the first it'd fail. Overall it wouldn't lock on 3 times in a row. With peaking on I could see the focus wandering all over, it was totally unreliable. Plus it hunted. It was an utter pile of sh!t and it went straight back. I didn't bother trying another as I suspect it'd be just the same on my A7, maybe they perform better on newer bodies.

I had one and the focus was all over the place. I tried it at all distances and nothing helped. Sometimes it would lock on but if I shifted to another subject and then went back to the first it'd fail. Overall it wouldn't lock on 3 times in a row. With peaking on I could see the focus wandering all over, it was totally unreliable. Plus it hunted. It was an utter pile of sh!t and it went straight back. I didn't bother trying another as I suspect it'd be just the same on my A7, maybe they perform better on newer bodies.

Yeah nobody seems to rate the 50mm Macro, weird when you consider just how good the 90mm is.

Yeah nobody seems to rate the 50mm Macro, weird when you consider just how good the 90mm is.

Ill be getting the 90mm when i can maybe tmr maybe on the 30th November it someone birthday ha ha

Top cash back offering 15% cashback on Sony cameras from Currys. You can also claim the Sony cashback.
I think that means you can get an A7iii for £1342 with a 2 year warranty? That's pretty sweet especially from a place like Currys.

I think that means you can get an A7iii for £1342 with a 2 year warranty? That's pretty sweet especially from a place like Currys.
Cashback can be risky, doesn't always pay out. Total less VAT, then cashback.

Last edited:

To be fair maybe it performs more reliably on later bodies. I no problem with the build, handling or IQ it was just the focus.

Anyway, after my experiences with that lens if reviewers mention misfocus or hunting at all I'll avoid.

To be fair maybe it performs more reliably on later bodies. I no problem with the build, handling or IQ it was just the focus.

Anyway, after my experiences with that lens if reviewers mention misfocus or hunting at all I'll avoid.

Or maybe you had a dud.

Or maybe you had a dud.

I don't know. Reviewers did mention the issues I had but I got them to an unacceptable degree so maybe the problem is my A7? I have to say that the 55mm doesn't suffer any of these issues so it was either a dud or not too happy on my creaking old A7 with it's council house focus algorithms. I'm prepared to believe either.

Damm.. I could get it for the following ....

Total price = £1755
- 8% work voucher scheme
- 10% family discount
Total to pay at Curry's = £1453.14

Then get cashback as follows:-
- 15% Top Cash Back (£263.25)
- Sony £150 cash back.
Total cash back value = £413.25

Grand Total following cash back = £1039.89.

Shame I don't wan't or need another body! :(

Damm.. I could get it for the following ....

Total price = £1755
- 8% work voucher scheme
- 10% family discount
Total to pay at Curry's = £1453.14

Then get cashback as follows:-
- 15% Top Cash Back (£263.25)
- Sony £150 cash back.
Total cash back value = £413.25

Grand Total following cash back = £1039.89.

Shame I don't wan't or need another body! :(

Family discount can not be used in conjunction with any other offers. Wouldn’t effect Sony cash back though.

Top cash back is also not guaranteed as it doesn’t always track.

Last edited:
Family discount can not be used in conjunction with any other offers. Wouldn’t effect Sony cash back though.

Top cash back is also not guaranteed as it doesn’t always track.
No, it works fine as your not stacking codes... the vouchers are cash vouchers... so you pay with those and then the family discount comes off after that. :)

I’ve been using Quidco for years and never really had any issue with it not tracking when you follow the correct steps.

Not sure if TCB is the same.

Quidco doesn’t always track either. Although I have found top cash back to be more unreliable.

Like with any Cashback scheme it is never guaranteed.

Same with Sony’s own for example lots of people get knocked back because they already used the scheme before 3 times while sometimes others slip through.

No, it works fine as your not stacking codes... the vouchers are cash vouchers... so you pay with those and then the family discount comes off after that. :)

When I worked there you could not use vouchers as payment if used with staff discount. I can actually remember a guy getting sacked for doing exactly that. It’s in the terms and conditions for staff discount in the employee handbook.

That’s not to say it doesn’t happen but potentially the employee could be sacked for doing it.

Last edited:
Quidco doesn’t always track either. Although I have found top cash back to be more unreliable.

Like with any Cashback scheme it is never guaranteed.

Same with Sony’s own for example lots of people get knocked back because they already used the scheme before 3 times while sometimes others slip through.
Fair points....... that why sometimes its better to build up a good relationship with individual camera dealers / or even better, the Sony rep's ;)
Discounts are easily achievable if you speak to the right people.

When I worked there you could not use vouchers as payment if used with staff discount. I can actually remember a guy getting sacked for doing exactly that. It’s in the terms and conditions for staff discount in the employee handbook.
I have used this method in the past, I double & triple checked with the sales staff to ensure it was ok, the ran it through the till without question.
Thanks for the heads up, I will get the latest T&C's and see what's going on. :)

Honestly I have both and they both feel pretty much the same. The card door on my A7iii is better though. A9 is a little loose and this was the same on my previous A9.

If it was not for the extra dial I pretty much think they feel the same.

Have them both in front of me right now and I can’t feel any button difference though. Maybe I just don’t appreciate the finer things lol.

Last edited:
I have used this method in the past, I double & triple checked with the sales staff to ensure it was ok, the ran it through the till without question.
Thanks for the heads up, I will get the latest T&C's and see what's going on. :)

Could well have changed since I worked there to be fair been well over 5 years.

Honestly I have both and they both feel pretty much the same. The card door on my A7iii is better though. A9 is a little loose and this was the same on my previous A9.

If it was not for the extra dial I pretty much think they feel the same.

I do feel that my a9 is much better build and buttons and dial feel better thank god that a lock button on the mode

Back