The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Tbh I have been with Sony longest out of most people here.
Yes I am tired of a lot of their BS. I'd love to move but other brands don't seem to like competing :p

I know a few that have been using Sony a long time here.

I started with A580/A55/A65/A77/NEX3 and its variants/NEX5 and its variants/NEX6 then most of the E and FE Alphas. Amongst all the others. I also had a Dynax when I was younger and a spotless 80-200 HS (Stunning lens).

Last edited:
I know a few that have been using Sony a long time here.

I started with A580/A55/A65/A77/NEX3 and its variants/NEX5 and its variants/NEX6 then most of the E and FE Alphas. Amongst all the others. I also had a Dynax when I was younger and a spotless 80-200 HS (Stunning lens).

Looks like you have used older bodies than I have.
A57 was my first one.

The 80-200HS also rattles like machine gun lol
Preferred the 200mm f2.8 HS myself.

Last edited:
90Mm G Macro, only one to have, and I’ve had the Canon 100mm L and the Tamron 90mm

Don't worry mate some folks need to justify the BS on their brand by throwing s*** at other brands. Haven't you been following politics? It's exactly that :p
Yeah I've been following. TBH there's a lot of politics and bias going on in a number of threads but tbh I have 'known' Twist a long time and he doesn't have brand loyalty imo, just calls a spade a spade which is fine by me (y).

Whilst I don't have it myself (I don't think) I can understand brand bias though, people invest a lot into this (and other hobbies) and so it can make folk a bit protective (y)

Wow just found 5 mins to look on here ooops

its basically an A9 with new shutter and new second USH-II card slot. There aren't really many new things to be reviewed are there :p

There's something to do with sending files and connectivity stuff too. Comes with a free pigeon or summot.

its basically an A9 with new shutter and new second USH-II card slot. There aren't really many new things to be reviewed are there :p
I look through the A9 spec the other day and I was surprised to see the A9 had one UHS-2 card slot and one UHS-1 card slot. For fast camera that shoots at 20fps doesn't that mean you can't use backup as otherwise transfer speed is crippled. I'm surprised it isn't said to be as bad as only having one card slot. If the camera only had one card slot but it was UHS-2 would everyone still be happy?

I look through the A9 spec the other day and I was surprised to see the A9 had one UHS-2 card slot and one UHS-1 card slot. For fast camera that shoots at 20fps doesn't that mean you can't use backup as otherwise transfer speed is crippled. I'm surprised it isn't said to be as bad as only having one card slot. If the camera only had one card slot but it was UHS-2 would everyone still be happy?

Using the second card as a back up works quite well the A9 has a very good buffer.

Yeah 2 x UHSII slots would be nice which is why the A9II has them.

not a massive problem on A9 tbh. It's "only" 24mp files. I had that in A99 back when before UHS-II existed and it was fine then. With the large buffer as mentioned above you'd rarely run into issues.

With A7RIV I have now on the other hand.... its a different story!

The A7iii to me is like what the D750 was previously. It can just do a bit of everything and for most people it is all you will ever need.

I wonder if we will see a 4th gen any time soon? Must be next on the cards maybe?

Hopefully this is the right thread for these but I just picked up a used A6300 + 35mm F1.8.

Took a few test shots last night and very happy so far, its so much lighter than my previous Canon 6D but still feels really solid.

We are off to Bruges next weekend but I am thinking the 35mm on the crop is not going to be wide enough for most of the shots I am going to want so looking at alternative options. I would prefer to avoid the kit lens but I bought into the mirrorless range to save weight and size so would prefer a wide angle prime as opposed to a zoom. My thoughts are the 20mm F2.8 pancake lens as it should be wide enough for most shots but also small and light.

The A7iii to me is like what the D750 was previously. It can just do a bit of everything and for most people it is all you will ever need.

I wonder if we will see a 4th gen any time soon? Must be next on the cards maybe?

Rumour site has mentioned Feb as a possible date for A7IV.

Hopefully this is the right thread for these but I just picked up a used A6300 + 35mm F1.8.

Took a few test shots last night and very happy so far, its so much lighter than my previous Canon 6D but still feels really solid.

We are off to Bruges next weekend but I am thinking the 35mm on the crop is not going to be wide enough for most of the shots I am going to want so looking at alternative options. I would prefer to avoid the kit lens but I bought into the mirrorless range to save weight and size so would prefer a wide angle prime as opposed to a zoom. My thoughts are the 20mm F2.8 pancake lens as it should be wide enough for most shots but also small and light.

I looked at the 20mm when I had an A6400 but it got quite poor reviews, I have never used it though.

The best lenses I had for my A6400 where the Sigma 16mm, 30mm and 56mm.

As a cheaper option the Sigma 19mm also seems to get decent reviews.

Last edited:

Sony 20mm/2.8 is not a great lens tbh. If you are willing to put up with the (over)price of the Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 is a pretty good option. Last time I checked there was one at camera jungle for a decent price with their 20% off code.
There was also a very nicely priced Sony Zeiss 16-70mm f4 (but you'll need to properly test your copy because of a lot of sample variations) and a Sony 18-135mm too.

Lastly if you can afford it the Sony 16-55mm small and amazingly sharp (sharper than the 16mm and 20mm pancakes). It makes for an excellent one lens solution.

Do I see another a9 going

I looked at the 20mm when I had an A6400 but it got quite poor reviews, I have never used it though.

The best lenses I had for my A6400 where the Sigma 16mm, 30mm and 56mm.

As a cheaper option the Sigma 19mm also seems to get decent reviews.

Yes it seems the reviews are not very favourable on the 20mm Sony, I might skip that one as its only meant to be marginally better than the kit lens.

The sigma 16mm looks good but it also looks fairly hefty but I guess if you want good images, you need to have a bigger lens usually. Can't have your cake and eat it as they say.

Will have a think, thanks for your reply.

Back