The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is the grey box just on the A7iii or R bodies too? Thinking about an A7Riii and knowing how much I use the joystick to change focus point on my XT2 I have some (minor) concerns if the Sony has a box that ‘disappears’ in the EVF.

Only on the A7RIV, A9 and A9II can you change the focus point colour. It is very unlikely to be added to any of the other bodies. The other bodies have the standard grey focus point it doesn’t disappear but can be hard to see depending on the scene.

It’s not really a big problem to be honest as eye a.f box is green.

Last edited:
Now you’ve got one of those fancy A9s you don’t need to worry! Hope you’re enjoying the new toy.

Its pretty good, a very nice step up, but an expensive one. The EVF/LCD flicker is a bit weird but my P30 pro does the same in the same light. Dont think I noticed it with the A7iii or maybe because of anti flicker or its winter and I have lots of different light sources on :) . Stills and video dont show it though so thats the main thing.

Last edited:
Its pretty good, a very nice step up, but an expensive one. The EVF/LCD flicker is a bit weird but my P30 pro does the same in the same light. Dont think I noticed it with the A7iii or maybe because of anti flicker or its winter and I have lots of different light sources on :) . Stills and video dont show it though so thats the main thing.

Still, a lot of camera for the money if they're down to £2k now. That's what people paid for A7iii at release.

Still, a lot of camera for the money if they're down to £2k now. That's what people paid for A7iii at release.

Even I'm tempted and I use manual lenses at least half the time. A silent shutter would be nice though as I mostly use my Panasonic cameras with the electronic shutter.

I'm not getting one though as I've just spent almost £700 on a MFT lens so I'll give the spending a rest for a month or so :D

Even I'm tempted and I use manual lenses at least half the time. A silent shutter would be nice though as I mostly use my Panasonic cameras with the electronic shutter.

I'm not getting one though as I've just spent almost £700 on a MFT lens so I'll give the spending a rest for a month or so :D

The Sony A9 is really something special. :)

Is the grey box just on the A7iii or R bodies too? Thinking about an A7Riii and knowing how much I use the joystick to change focus point on my XT2 I have some (minor) concerns if the Sony has a box that ‘disappears’ in the EVF.
On both A7III and A7RIII.
I personally never had a problem and still don't tbh.

Is anyone looking forward to the new A7sIII? Could be a new style body?

Used the a9 this morning for some video, very impressive AF, it just sticks tot the subject. Once its locked on the face / eye, single point etc it stays there, even when people / things are moving in front of the subject it just stays focused. I remember using the A7iii in the same conditions and location and I thought that was good but the A9 holds the subject and AF doesnt wander / rack when things come in front of the subject/point of focus, not sure how the hell it manages to know the exact subject amongst so many others and keep the lock even when the subject is hidden behind someone else for quite some time! Amazing.

Last edited:
Used the a9 this morning for some video, very impressive AF, it just sticks tot the subject. Once its locked on the face / eye, single point etc it stays there, even when people / things are moving in front of the subject it just stays focused. I remember using the A7iii in the same conditions and location and I thought that was good but the A9 holds the subject and AF doesnt wander / rack when things come in front of the subject/point of focus, not sure how the hell it manages to know the exact subject amongst so many others and keep the lock even when the subject is hidden behind someone else for quite some time! Amazing.
Sony Jedi Voodoo magic my friend :D

Does eye AF do the same with animals on the A9? I’m tempted to swap my A7Riii for an A9 as I mainly do wildlife and animal eye AF could be very useful. My 70-200 f4 is off to MPB tomorrow so could put that and the A7Riii to cover an A9.

Does eye AF do the same with animals on the A9? I’m tempted to swap my A7Riii for an A9 as I mainly do wildlife and animal eye AF could be very useful. My 70-200 f4 is off to MPB tomorrow so could put that and the A7Riii to cover an A9.

depends on the animal tbh. Works better with cats and dogs than say birds. but A9 in general is amazingly good with the real time AF for wildlife.

depends on the animal tbh. Works better with cats and dogs than say birds. but A9 in general is amazingly good with the real time AF for wildlife.
I kind of expect it won’t work for every animal. Animal eye AF worked ok for Red Squirrels on A7Riii. The price the A9 now its potentially doable. The A7Riii is a fantastic camera but I don’t need the42MP sensor, 24MP would probably be good enough.

I kind of expect it won’t work for every animal. Animal eye AF worked ok for Red Squirrels on A7Riii. The price the A9 now its potentially doable. The A7Riii is a fantastic camera but I don’t need the42MP sensor, 24MP would probably be good enough.

Theres no reason to have the a7riii over the A7 unless you need the res and better EVF, theres no reason to have the A7riii over the A9 unless you need the resolution. If you can stretch the A9 then go for it.

I am content that I am going to Japan and Korea again in less than 2 months…:D
That is awesome..... you make sure of your gear and travel around... a good combination.
I am trying to engage with my Sony A9 + new 1.8 lenses.... will see how the next few months pan out. :)

Back