The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What appeared looked like one of Riz's tiger pictures instead of my dog but it still had OP across it. As I said, at first I thought someone had hacked me and changed the picture so I went into my profile to see if I could change it back and it was still the dog, came out and the forum is back to normal.

I've no idea what went on. Maybe a glitch after the forum changes but I've no idea what or why.

Anyway... It could happen to YOU!

What appeared looked like one of Riz's tiger pictures instead of my dog but it still had OP across it. As I said, at first I thought someone had hacked me and changed the picture so I went into my profile to see if I could change it back and it was still the dog, came out and the forum is back to normal.

I've no idea what went on. Maybe a glitch after the forum changes but I've no idea what or why.

Anyway... It could happen to YOU!
I doubt it, as I don't drink alcohol. ;) :LOL:

Thinking of replacing my 28-75mm with the 55mm 1.8 - good idea or stupid?

For context I already have the 17-28 2.8, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 70-200 f4.

Depends on what you need it for?

35/85 combination will cover you rather well tbh. I'd probably look at replacing the 70-200mm which I believe you adapt (?) with something like tamron 70-180mm f2.8.

Depends on what you need it for?

35/85 combination will cover you rather well tbh. I'd probably look at replacing the 70-200mm which I believe you adapt (?) with something like tamron 70-180mm f2.8.

I’d want something in between the two for landscapes and another lens for weddings.

keen on that 70-180 but the 180-200 is a big loss for me, don’t think I need 2.8 in that focal length to be honest. More tempted to get the 70-300g lens just for personal use.

Sammy 18mm on the way - thank you. Stories of quality being a bit variable made me reluctant to order grey, but a UK supplied lens is another matter.

I've held off Samyang due to the mixed reviews, but the 24mm and below are tempting. Let us know what you think.

(I've currently got a Sony A-mount 20/2.8, but it's annoyingly bulky with the LA-EA4.)

I’d want something in between the two for landscapes and another lens for weddings.

keen on that 70-180 but the 180-200 is a big loss for me, don’t think I need 2.8 in that focal length to be honest. More tempted to get the 70-300g lens just for personal use.

180-200mm isn't that big a loss especially considering the high MP of your A7Riii.

70-200mm/2.8 is considered by some as a workhorse portrait and wedding lens.

How about you try the FE50/1.8 if you get along with the focal length and find yourself using it a lot then you can upgrade to FE55.

I've held off Samyang due to the mixed reviews, but the 24mm and below are tempting. Let us know what you think.

(I've currently got a Sony A-mount 20/2.8, but it's annoyingly bulky with the LA-EA4.)

Perhaps consider a manual UWA lens? There are plenty smaller options.

180-200mm isn't that big a loss especially considering the high MP of your A7Riii.

70-200mm/2.8 is considered by some as a workhorse portrait and wedding lens.

How about you try the FE50/1.8 if you get along with the focal length and find yourself using it a lot then you can upgrade to FE55.

At the 6 weddings I’ve done, I haven’t felt the need for a 70-200 at all, just don’t think I’d use it.

I’ve had the 55 before and liked it, just never not had a zoom in that range previously but just primes would be a nice challenge.

At the 6 weddings I’ve done, I haven’t felt the need for a 70-200 at all, just don’t think I’d use it.

I’ve had the 55 before and liked it, just never not had a zoom in that range previously but just primes would be a nice challenge.

If its a cost thing on only having one. Personally I would keep the 28-75, I barely use mine, but it is nice to know it's in the bag as a backup just in case anything goes wrong with either the 35/85 it covers both. plus works well for the dance floor when I want to lighten the load down to one body

Thinking of replacing my 28-75mm with the 55mm 1.8 - good idea or stupid?

For context I already have the 17-28 2.8, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 70-200 f4.
It a difficult question to answer... I personally prefer prime lenses so ended up getting the Sony FE 1.8 prime trio.... 35mm, 55mm and 85mm.
This cover off my most used focal lengths when you factor in cost, weight and size etc. I could potentially do with some wider and longer at some point but at this moment in time happy with this setup.
Selling up all my GM lenses due to lack of use.
Would I swap a 28-70mm with the 55mm f1.8, yes would be my answer as the 55mm f1.8 is a great little lens, some dislike its output but I like it a lot. I have owned this lens 3 times now! :eek: :D

Are you telling me no wedding photographers use a flash ever?

Every wedding photographers works differently but in Northern Ireland anyway its pretty impossible to get through a whole wedding day without using flash even if it is only for the dancing.

In other countries it is different though as the weddings are a little different. In the states for example in say California less photographers use flash as the reception often takes place outside in bright sunlight. It might surprise you to see how many don't even know how to use a flash and have never used one.

Here though while everyone works differently there are some standard types of wedding photographers.

People like us that pretty much only use flash for the first dance or for when we have to shoot portraits inside due to poor weather. We use normal flashes for the first dance and Godox AD200's for when we need to shoot indoors due to bad weather. We never use flash during the ceremony, no matter how poorly lit the venue is.

Then there is the really old school guys, there isn't as many of these around any more. They use a normal flash for everything and shoot everything at ISO 100 and at f/8. These are the guys that take lots of formal type photos at weddings and will use flash for everything including the ceremony.

There is also the "I have no clue what I am doing" brigade. They also tend to use a normal flash and they have too as they are using cheap glass and need it.

Then there is the OCF guys that use flash for all of the portraits for creative effect. I have noticed that they use normal flash a lot too even when it is not needed. That is how they prefer to do things.

Trends change though for example in the states for many years using flash for wedding photography has been really unpopular for many years. This meant a huge increase in the amount of wedding photographers that were able to set up shop as "natural light wedding photographers" or "I have no idea what I am doing but just bought a decent camera wedding photographers". For whatever reason a huge amount of these are Mums doing weddings on a part time basis. This really hurt the proper pro's in terms of business as they couldn't compete on price, so in the last couple of years or so there has been a bit of a step change to shooting a lot of stuff with OCF. This has helped differentiate them from the chaff and they produce some good stuff. Just as an example for bridal party and family photos now they often highly stylise them and light and take photos of each individual person then blend them together in photoshop afterwards. A lot of it has been inspired by the likes of Esteban Gill and the Steel and Flint society. https://www.steelandflintsociety.com/education/2019/5/14/soiv1bzdxsbkflkziwu7q64te92em7

Last edited:
Are you telling me no wedding photographers use a flash ever?
I have used flash for weddings in the past - pretty much essential if limited to 400Asa film and f2.8 max aperture - but it's not necessarily ideal. At the wedding in Kerala last weekend they had studio lights and crew. [emoji14]

Personally I'd prefer to have the creative choice. Flash used well can make things better but may not always be the best option.

I have flashes, and use flashes. I don’t like using them though. Plus if you’re in a big room or a dark room with odd coloured walls they can be a pain.

*you don’t seem to be agreeing with me much recently :snaphappy:

Actually I don't disagree with you at all. i am just suggesting alternatives.
If you want me to simply agree to everything you say I can do that too but I don't think that'll be very valuable for you and at which point I might as well not reply lol.

I have used flash for weddings in the past - pretty much essential if limited to 400Asa film and f2.8 max aperture - but it's not necessarily ideal. At the wedding in Kerala last weekend they had studio lights and crew. [emoji14]

Personally I'd prefer to have the creative choice. Flash used well can make things better but may not always be the best option.

i agree but it seemed like people never wanted to touch one :D
there is really good uses for it and can make nice difference in a bunch of situations which people seem to agree with :)

How's the weather in Kerala? haven't been in a long time. a very nice part of the country but a bit annoying to navigate at times. mind if I ask where in Kerala?

i agree but it seemed like people never wanted to touch one :D
there is really good uses for it and can make nice difference in a bunch of situations which people seem to agree with :)

How's the weather in Kerala? haven't been in a long time. a very nice part of the country but a bit annoying to navigate at times. mind if I ask where in Kerala?
We were in Trivandrum for 3 days, came down from Mojim in Goa with the bride's family. Weather was 32-34 with occasional cooler periods when it rained. We have invitations to stay with families and will probably take them up in the future. [emoji4]

Back in the UK now. [emoji849]

Every wedding photographers works differently but in Northern Ireland anyway its pretty impossible to get through a whole wedding day without using flash even if it is only for the dancing.

In other countries it is different though as the weddings are a little different. In the states for example in say California less photographers use flash as the reception often takes place outside in bright sunlight. It might surprise you to see how many don't even know how to use a flash and have never used one.
It does surprise me tbh as I'd expect them to use fill flash in bright sunlight to combat the harsh shadows :oops: :$

It a difficult question to answer... I personally prefer prime lenses so ended up getting the Sony FE 1.8 prime trio.... 35mm, 55mm and 85mm.
This cover off my most used focal lengths when you factor in cost, weight and size etc. I could potentially do with some wider and longer at some point but at this moment in time happy with this setup.
Selling up all my GM lenses due to lack of use.
Would I swap a 28-70mm with the 55mm f1.8, yes would be my answer as the 55mm f1.8 is a great little lens, some dislike its output but I like it a lot. I have owned this lens 3 times now! :eek: :D

Yup. Same here.

One thing I think the 55mm f1.8 is good for is indoor people shots when a 35mm would mean cropping or invading peoples space and an 85mm would be too tight but if anyone is happy to crop then maybe the 35mm could be enough.

Back