The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@JJ! .... Great set of pictures, the mono is my favourite..

a7iii, Samyang 35mm f1.4
View attachment 263571

Haha, small world. I wonder if we spoke? We did chat with a few others around while waiting. Dreadful morning wasn't it. It's the first time I've been disappointed with my photos for quite some time :ROFLMAO:. I kinda wish I'd gone further to the right and got a close'ish shot of the Scotsman, but had it in my head I wanted the whole train and viaduct. I shot at 35mm, my next lens was 85 , think 50mm would've been better from where I was stood, and that was a lens I didn't bring, doh. Still good to see and I enjoyed it. I've got more ideas for my next visit, and hopefully the cloud won't descend on us next time.

Is the Sony 100-400 GM lens a good lens.

I’ve been thinking past few days I reckon that all I need to finish my set up as it mostly be used outdoor at zoo and wildlife

85mm my longest. I just though the 100-400 be more lightweight and compact. I will have to have a look at them first

Yup I was torn between the 2
For wildlife reach is everything, 400mm isn’t really ‘that’ long. Of course it will depend on what/where you’re shooting and how well the A9 crops.

Yes but can be a no too, it also depending on your field craft.
Yeah, as I said it depends but I would say most wildlife togs generally want as much reach as possible. Plus I’m pretty sure Andy wants it for wildlife parks such as YWP where of course you’re restricted to how close you can get. I’ve often wanted more than 600mm but have never wanted less than 200mm at such places. YMMV (y)

For wildlife reach is everything, 400mm isn’t really ‘that’ long. Of course it will depend on what/where you’re shooting and how well the A9 crops.
I agree but one needs to weight up costs vs. usage.
@rookies how often do you go to the zoo etc?
Here are some samples from the 70-200mm f2.8 GM at 200mm.

24170878018_53318f2cd5_c.jpg

24170887598_b8b498ef70_c.jpg

37992031502_485b48224f_c.jpg

:D

I bought a 100-400mm for MFT. It's slow but ok for good to reasonable light shots of birds, planes and the like. I did think about getting a long zoom for my A7 but I thought it'd be too big for me to ever bother taking out. I thought I'd like to take two cameras out, one with the 100-400mm and another with a 35mm f1.x but I was disappointed to find that I can't get those two combinations in my Billingham bag.

For Canon DSLR's I had a Sigma 28-300mm, that was a good day out lens and quite light and cheap too. Optically it was poor by todays standards but for a whole picture it was fine for me. If there was something similar for the A7 I'd possibly take a look.

I agree but one needs to weight up costs vs. usage.
@rookies how often do you go to the zoo etc?
Here are some samples from the 70-200mm f2.8 GM at 200mm.

24170878018_53318f2cd5_c.jpg

24170887598_b8b498ef70_c.jpg

37992031502_485b48224f_c.jpg

:D
Weight is definitely a consideration which is why I swapped my D850 and 150-600mm for the EM1-II and 100-400mm (200-800mm eq), the 150-600mm just became a bind to walk around with all day. For the record I also have used the 70-200mm at zoos etc but it's not the ideal focal length imo (y)
I bought a 100-400mm for MFT. It's slow but ok for good to reasonable light shots of birds, planes and the like. .
When you say slow I assume you mean aperture wise as AF is very good from my experience?

I’ve been thinking past few days I reckon that all I need to finish my set up as it mostly be used outdoor at zoo and wildlife
Definitely. I've just got one about a month or so ago. Used to have a sigma 150-600 but the image quality of the 100-400 is much better and also it's so much easier to carry around. Also I can fit it in my normal camera rucksack attached to my camera which I couldn't do with the 150-600.

@rookies what you want is the 100-400mm paired with the A7RIV ;)

The 100-400 is a very nice lens. To me it’s major diadvantage is it’s biggest advantage. It does extend when zooming but that benefits the compact size. I use f stop bags, since moving to Sony their smallest bag (guru UL) and small shallow ICU has been my main bag. Compare that to when I used the Nikon 200-400 f4 which had to use the tilopa and XL ICU. I’ve also halved the weight from 7.5kg down to 3.5kg by changing to the 100-400 and smaller travel tripod (My hand holding isn’t quite up to scratch yet!). The only thing I miss about the Nikon is the faster stop if aperture but the compact size and weight outweigh that. Compact size and lightweight are the two main benefits. The extending zoom weather issue can be overcome by using a think tank emergency rain cover (the medium is perfect).

Grey pricing revealed for the two new Tamron f/2.8 primes, both £269 at E-Infinity.

Pretty good pricing for new release as I think I read they were a crazy £399 UK RRP :oops: :$Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 15.37.07.png

Well I've bit on the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for £599 and CameraWorld. Against my better judgement really as I wanted the Sigma art 24-70 2.8 but just not the time of year to be dropping £1049 on myself. I guess I'll try the Tamron for a while and shouldn't lose too much if I don't get on with it.

Well I've bit on the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for £599 and CameraWorld. Against my better judgement really as I wanted the Sigma art 24-70 2.8 but just not the time of year to be dropping £1049 on myself. I guess I'll try the Tamron for a while and shouldn't lose too much if I don't get on with it.

Tamron is the bargain at the moment.

Weight is definitely a consideration which is why I swapped my D850 and 150-600mm for the EM1-II and 100-400mm (200-800mm eq), the 150-600mm just became a bind to walk around with all day. For the record I also have used the 70-200mm at zoos etc but it's not the ideal focal length imo (y)

When you say slow I assume you mean aperture wise as AF is very good from my experience?
Yes, aperture wise.

WTF?

My avatar was a tiger for a couple of posts, refresh and it's back to the dog!

I know I've had a drink but...

Are you smoking something? ;)

I spotted that my Avatar was a tiger. I thought I'd been hacked for a second but that couldn't be as I could still post. Gosh knows what went wrong.

How very odd... maybe a glitch in the matrix?

Back