The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So, has anyone ordered all three of the new lenses yet?

I think I know the answer :D

Have been reviewing my kit recently. I posted a while ago that I wasn't very likely to be buying new kit unless something breaks and I think that's becoming more certain. I used to be a bit of a gear head, less so now :D
I'm waiting on official pricing / availability and reviews first.... ;)
Only interested in the 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 GM.
For the 85mm I have gone the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 route.
I wouldn't mind a Zeiss Batis 135mm next.

That said the current FE 70-200mm f4 G is a stellar lens and its pretty light/small - not sure I need any better....
OMFG, the 24-70mm f2.8 GM's front element is 82mm!!!! That's massive..... this lens aint going to be light or small, maybe even bigger than the Nikon or Canon rivals???

Last edited:
I expect this (82mm) is a product of people expecting top bench test performance figures across the frame.

The size, weight and price may be a little easier to swallow if the results are first class.

I hope Jessie's do interest free on it I'm having one ... By the way can you stack TC or is it one of the other only?

I hope Jessie's do interest free on it I'm having one ... By the way can you stack TC or is it one of the other only?
I would imagine one or the other, stacking would probably degrade the image quality too much.

I expect this (82mm) is a product of people expecting top bench test performance figures across the frame.

The size, weight and price may be a little easier to swallow if the results are first class.

Having read up all the Sony blurb, the G Master lenses seem like Sony have gone all out...... I am expecting these to set a new benchmark vs competitors... (no on price though) lol. ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0359260536/sony-releases-three-premium-g-master-lenses-for-fe-mount

Interesting read.

Last edited:
I will reevaluate after seeing real world tests but my opinion at the moment is they are too pricey..... barring in mind I have a lot of l glass so don't mind paying decent money for quality......

As I've said before... when I had my Sigma lenses on my 5D I couldn't have wished for better lenses but the world has moved on and I'm not the target market for Sony and their top end lenses. I have lower needs :D and they seem to be aiming for a very top end system.

So for wedding togs to swap to sony were talking 24-70....70-200...a7rii.... plus perhaps a prime. ... nearly 100 then need a backup camera and flash....... makes it damn expensive

Yep but being honest unless you are a top boutique wedding tog it's usually canon or nikon and for 10k u can get a hell of a Canon or nikon setup....

Having read up all the Sony blurb, the G Master lenses seem like Sony have gone all out...... I am expecting these to set a new benchmark vs competitors... (no on price though) lol. ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0359260536/sony-releases-three-premium-g-master-lenses-for-fe-mount

Interesting read.
Yeah, Sony aren't pulling any punches with these. I expect more than a few raised eyebrows when the results start coming in.

For those wanting sample images, check this out from the 85mm. As a self-confessed bokeh fiend, I just fainted.

Yep but being honest unless you are a top boutique wedding tog it's usually canon or nikon and for 10k u can get a hell of a Canon or nikon setup....

As the system does pretty much what I want I'm happy. I wanted a compact quality system to use my old lenses on and also a couple of quality AF primes... A7 + 35 and 55mm and a load of manual lenses pretty much = job done :D

I can see that in your case the system makes sense too as you're looking to reduce weight, but you need more AF lenses than I do.

Last edited:
So for wedding togs to swap to sony were talking 24-70....70-200...a7rii.... plus perhaps a prime. ... nearly 100 then need a backup camera and flash....... makes it damn expensive

don't forget their pricey macro

It's 2000 more expensive then a Nikon d810 and similar lenses.

In fact me and @twist worked it out that it you Nikon route you could add a photo holiday in Peru on top of that Nikon gear for same price as Sony.

I think the A7r2 should go down on price now

When u put it like that Johnny these lenses best be gold plated lol

A7r2 should go down on price now

I don't understand this. The Nikon is £2350 at Wex and it's 36mp isn't it? The Sony is £2600 and 42mp? That's £250 more for the extra mp's, and the 36mp mk1 is £900, £400 cheaper than the Nikon.

Why do people expect Sony kit to be cheaper? Because it's a Sony or because it's a CSC? A combination of these?

If you'd said Sony need cheaper lenses, fine, but why are people constantly bitchin about the price of the cameras. As I said, go buy a Nikon :D

I don't understand this. The Nikon is £2350 at Wex and it's 36mp isn't it? The Sony is £2600 and 42mp? That's £250 more for the extra mp's, and the 36mp mk1 is £900, £400 cheaper than the Nikon.

Why do people expect Sony kit to be cheaper? Because it's a Sony or because it's a CSC? A combination of these?

If you'd said Sony need cheaper lenses, fine, but why are people constantly bitchin about the price of the cameras. As I said, go buy a Nikon :D

I THINK the moan is about the cost of the glass rather than the body.
have you used a D810? its quite magical

I THINK the moan is about the cost of the glass rather than the body.
have you used a D810? its quite magical
Then why say the A7rII needs to be cheaper?
Be clear dear boy.

PS. Not just you. I'm just tired of reading how expensive the A7rII is in threads other than this one too.

And no, DSLR's aren't for me. I don't need any focus advantage they may have and for me CSC's are the way forward. I'd need a gun at my head before I'd use a bloated DSLR+lens again. We've only just recently got back to somewhere near the size cameras used to be when 35mm film was the choice of most and I'm not going back to pointing a big fat DSLR+lens at people.

I can see the point if you need the abilities of a DSLR, I don't :D

Then why say the A7rII needs to be cheaper?
Be clear dear boy.

PS. Not just you. I'm just tired of reading how expensive the A7rII is in threads other than this one too.

And no, DSLR's aren't for me. I don't need any focus advantage they may have and for me CSC's are the way forward. I'd need a gun at my head before I'd use a bloated DSLR+lens again. We've only just recently got back to somewhere near the size cameras used to be when 35mm film was the choice of most and I'm not going back to pointing a big fat DSLR+lens at people.

I can see the point if you need the abilities of a DSLR, I don't :D

not sure i ever said the a7rii needs to be cheaper? i have the camera. its a great camera. does the SYSTEM offer good value compared to Nikon equivalent (D810, 24-70, 70-200 ETC)? That seems to be the discussion here -not the cost of the excellent A7rii.

people wanted pro spec glass and sony have now delivered. fair play.

but now people can see the real cost of the camera and glass set up and may compare this to what they can get elsewhere, naturally. its not a personal attack against you and your love for all things small. but don't forget these new zooms won't be tiny. i wonder how balanced they will feel.

not sure i ever said the a7rii needs to be cheaper?

I should have gone to specsavers. Of course you didn't... mistaken identity... :D

PS.
Not sure I love all things small, it's more that I just don't like big cameras and lenses as I find them too obtrusive, too attention grabbing. All I've wanted since going digital is to be able to replace the DSLR's and quality non DSLR cameras I had in the 35mm days and thankfully with an A7 and MFT I'm just about there now :D

Last edited:
Just out of interest, does anyone know what the release prices were on the Canon and Nikon equivalent 2.8 zooms?
I believe they were as follows:-
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 USM II £1900
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR II £1700

Technically the Sony G Master series seem to be made of the good stuff...... we just need actually reviews to back the tech stuff up.
Its got Nano this and Nano that, ED this ED that.... min 50 line resolutions, new focus systems blah blah blah

Last edited:
Just a quick one that I thought of and maybe controversial but I'm going to put it out there. ..... if those new master g lenses were branded as a "zeiss" do you think people would of accepted the price better?

was going to get an ex display a7r from jessops today for £700, but they wouldn't take my RX1R in p/x as it wasn't on their system!

Best of selling it on here 2 be honest then .... I once went in to jessops with a 70-200 2.8 is ii canon lens and wanted to partex to a 1d iv I think it was they offered me 300 quid for my lens I could help but point out they had it for sale for close to 2k at that point lmao......

Just a quick one that I thought of and maybe controversial but I'm going to put it out there. ..... if those new master g lenses were branded as a "zeiss" do you think people would of accepted the price better?
Maybe, and it's sad but that's often the way of the world. People pay for badges and brands and I'm pretty sure that's why we see the fanboy comments aimed at the likes of Sony and maybe Panasonic and Samsung too. In the mind of some these companies shouldn't have the temerity to make cameras and lenses and should stick to making computer games and micro wave ovens.

Years ago I spent a few months fixing Canon photocopiers but that didn't make me think that's all they should make :D

Well people have no issue paying 2k for some zeiss lenses as we know....

Email wex part X they give half decent prices I got a very good price for all my Olympus

I think if Sony lowered there prices slightly they would clean up, I was annoyed at the prices of the Rx10 and RX100 when they dropped them the RX10 isn't twice the FZ1000 but it was 1200 quid.... But hey what do I know I don't do marketing

But I could,also,moan that canons is 3k and is that worth it Over the Sony for the weddings guys yeah but everyone else prob not

Last edited:
the a7 is aimed at a different market to the 1dx etc etc but the lenses are being marketed as "the best" surely a flagship camera is going to be announced like the 1dx ii etc

Back