The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I absolutely love the two Batis lenses. They are the reason I'm investing in an A7 camera.

Not in the slightest bit interested in any of the new lenses (thankfully) but I am impressed with the video from the A6300. The focus tracking seems excellent.

My only issue with the 85mm Batis is the cats eye bokeh. I'm not sure I like it.

ok so now i see the F2.8 70-200 but my question would be, i bet that 1.4 TC wont work with the F4 just the 2.8 ?
I'm still in a dilemma in some places i read the tamron 150-600 Sony fit works fine with LAE3 and others it doesn't GRRRR. i just need a lens for sport and at present F4 70-200 seems like it, but i would like 400MM upwards

I see on Metabones site the 50-500 sigma works so i may hire it, but i bet it wont be fast

ok so now i see the F2.8 70-200 but my question would be, i bet that 1.4 TC wont work with the F4 just the 2.8 ?
I'm still in a dilemma in some places i read the tamron 150-600 Sony fit works fine with LAE3 and others it doesn't GRRRR. i just need a lens for sport and at present F4 70-200 seems like it, but i would like 400MM upwards

I see on Metabones site the 50-500 sigma works so i may hire it, but i bet it wont be fast
Get the 70-200 2.8 with 1.4tc

so i think 1800 for that 70-200 then a few more 100 for the TC.... best setup though....but bloody expensive..

no not a pro just support the Local Morgan 3 wheeler Club. i could just buy a D750 and use my Dads 70-200 with 2 x TC....

or i could just use his D800E, but i hate being defeated due to cost....im gonna try like hell to get good shots with the canon 24-70 F4. see how i go

Last edited:
Am going get the Sony 70-200 f4. Be plenty good enough for me. Have always managed with canon 70-200 f4

The 85mm f1.4 is tempting. Will have to wait and see how it performs in real life to see if its worth it. Maybe it will even become available before my Batis arrives - who knows when that will happen. Not too interested in the rest myself (maybe the 70-200).

A bunch of new lens techs on the inside - new types of lens elements, 11 blade apertures, the 70-200mm's focus system is curious, and a few other bits suggest Sony has thrown everything they can at making an impact with these guys, so I get the feeling this is part of a serious push to go head on with Canon and Nikon. The MTF chart of the 24-70mm suggests that even at f2.8 it will be MUCH sharper than the Zeiss is at f4. The 85mm looks equally impressive, and I don't doubt the 70-200mm will match it.

Sony's own lens sales up 40% year on year, Mirrorless sales climbing in both volume even while DSLR sales fall. Things are looking good in E mount land.

New lens details are a bit of a reality check for me. Another little gentle nudge towards Nikon.

New lens details are a bit of a reality check for me. Another little gentle nudge towards Nikon.

tbh they have done themselves no favour with that announcement....as I stated on another thread the sony would have to be beyond belief to get me to upgrade from my canon 24-70 mkii

tbh they have done themselves no favour with that announcement....as I stated on another thread the sony would have to be beyond belief to get me to upgrade from my canon 24-70 mkii

Popular lens choice for wedding togs is often 24-70, 70-200 f2.8 and maybe a wide angle at minimum.
Add an a7rii and maybe an a7ii mount them on. Few flash guns.
That's one hell of an expensive camera bag.

The 85mm f1.4 is tempting. Will have to wait and see how it performs in real life to see if its worth it. Maybe it will even become available before my Batis arrives - who knows when that will happen. Not too interested in the rest myself (maybe the 70-200).

A bunch of new lens techs on the inside - new types of lens elements, 11 blade apertures, the 70-200mm's focus system is curious, and a few other bits suggest Sony has thrown everything they can at making an impact with these guys, so I get the feeling this is part of a serious push to go head on with Canon and Nikon. The MTF chart of the 24-70mm suggests that even at f2.8 it will be MUCH sharper than the Zeiss is at f4. The 85mm looks equally impressive, and I don't doubt the 70-200mm will match it.

Sony's own lens sales up 40% year on year, Mirrorless sales climbing in both volume even while DSLR sales fall. Things are looking good in E mount land.

Impressive on paper. Interesting to see the difference in the real world. Wasn't the a6000 meant to have the fastest most accurate af in the world?

Impressive on paper. Interesting to see the difference in the real world. Wasn't the a6000 meant to have the fastest most accurate af in the world?

No, I thought that was Olympus, no wait it's Panasonic but hang on fuji said they were lmao.

Is it worth to upgrade from A7R to A7RII? i am thinking to sell my A7r with another body maybe 1Ds2 so i can have some budget and add little and buy A7RII, i never use 1Ds2 anymore since long time, and A7R is my main body now but i don't rush to upgrade if i can't, but if i can sell it with 1DsII and get good sale offer locally then i can afford A7RII, i found some stores selling A7RII at low price brand new, i trust them regardless they are no warranty, i bought expensive gear before from them and no issues until now [2-3 years so far].

Well, paper is all we have for now. As always actual results are king, but for now we'll have to be happy with paper.

Is it worth to upgrade from A7R to A7RII? i am thinking to sell my A7r with another body maybe 1Ds2 so i can have some budget and add little and buy A7RII, i never use 1Ds2 anymore since long time, and A7R is my main body now but i don't rush to upgrade if i can't, but if i can sell it with 1DsII and get good sale offer locally then i can afford A7RII, i found some stores selling A7RII at low price brand new, i trust them regardless they are no warranty, i bought expensive gear before from them and no issues until now [2-3 years so far].
It depends entirely on what you use it for. For landscapes and static things I'd say save your money. For anything involving people, movement, or video the A7RII is a much superior option.

It's a bit silly of Sony to price them where they have... if I'd been waiting for those 2.8s to come out I'd be selling my Sony now and jumping to Nikon/Canon, the version II body's might as well be DSLRs.

For me I've only really bought it as a platform for adapted glass, I might go naitive on the wide but that's it.

Last edited:
Obv as people know I only have 3native lenses 1 for each cam and use Metabones with my canon lenses..... I won't be buying any of the new lenses unless they drop a lot in price or the image quality is considerably better than my canon collection which I doubt

It depends entirely on what you use it for. For landscapes and static things I'd say save your money. For anything involving people, movement, or video the A7RII is a much superior option.

Hmmmmm, tough call, because i use this Sony for landscapes as main but for anything else too except sports/actions/motion such as wildlife/birds, but portraits i have many options or bodies already but Sony is one of the choices too, i also shoot nightshots, video never yet but i feel i must start it sooner or later, but arent for landscapes with more mp having more details or better for larger printing sometimes?

i have to say my F4 is sharp as hell, i cant see it getting any better. F4 Canon that is

Hmmmmm, tough call, because i use this Sony for landscapes as main but for anything else too except sports/actions/motion such as wildlife/birds, but portraits i have many options or bodies already but Sony is one of the choices too, i also shoot nightshots, video never yet but i feel i must start it sooner or later, but arent for landscapes with more mp having more details or better for larger printing sometimes?
have come from Olympus i can safely say having 42mg pixel makes the landscape shots very very sharp indeed, its not just about massive prints, it is actually a lot sharper too.

have come from Olympus i can safely say having 42mg pixel makes the landscape shots very very sharp indeed, its not just about massive prints, it is actually a lot sharper too.

I agree, i have 1DX and 1Ds3 and 1Ds2 and 5D classic as my top Canon full frame through years [and i still have them all], Sony A7R is better than them all, i couldn't hold any of my Canon full frame shooting landscapes when A7R is in my hand, sharper and crisper, even better DR, easier for me to edit, so i think A7RII has little more impact over A7R too? if not then it is not an upgrade Sony wasted time to make, it should have something more not only mp, same as now with 1DXII vs. 1DX, but some members just always keep saying new bodies aren't much worthy to upgrade, and there always must be a reason for upgrade even if money is not issue, so if i do it for fun or i get lucky to afford something or if i sell so i can have enough budget why not upgrade even as just a "Want" and not necessarily as a "Need"?

no not a pro just support the Local Morgan 3 wheeler Club. i could just buy a D750 and use my Dads 70-200 with 2 x TC....

or i could just use his D800E, but i hate being defeated due to cost....im gonna try like hell to get good shots with the canon 24-70 F4. see how i go

Realistically, are there any shots you can't take with the existing 70-200 F4? I realise the TC probably won't work with the F4 but if you need reach you might be better with an adapted A mount lens.

Sounds like cost isn't an issue but at around £2k for the 70-200 2.8 plus whatever the TC costs it sounds like a massive outlay when you won't get any return on them.

With regards to the 24-70, from what I've seen on this thread there shouldn't be any technical reason why you can't get good results with it.

Could get a 24-70 mkii and a 70-200 2.8 non is put them on a7 ii series and they have ibis.... 2 world class lenses for 1 sony

Liking the new Sony FE GM lenses but obviously not the prices :( , doubt I will go for the 85mm f1.4 as I have a Zeiss Batis 85mm on the way ;)
I would love the FE 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 GM plus a TC but for the money they have to be the same if not better than the Nikon/Canon versions, it is a lot of money so needs to be justified. :)
I am unaided if I will get ride of my f4.0 versions for the time being....... pointless keeping them if end up getting the GM lenses ;)

but arent for landscapes with more mp having more details or better for larger printing sometimes?
Sure thing, but going from 36MP to 42MP isn't going to rock your world in that respect. I've not done direct side-by-side tests between my A7R and A7RII but while I'd say the outright image quality of the A7RII wins, by itself I wouldn't say it's enough of a difference by itself. You say you do portraits with it too and want to start with video (and I fond night shooting easier with it too. If you do enough of any of those though, I'd say go for it.

I think if the prices were a bit more sensible a lot of people would have changed from f4 to 2.8 etc but let's be honest they have to be on a different level to be worth the money I did think they would be 2k ish although hoped it would be cheaper .... Any sign of this high end body yet???? Perhaps these new lens will exploit that?

The autofocus from a7r to a7rii is a big difference imho depends what your shooting though

Back