The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I agree, you need the reach for how small these birds are. I was in a hide last week and can't imagine anybody getting closer in other setups and I was always at 600mm. Even at 600mm bird was occupying about a quarter of the frame. It was surprising how little the bird seemed affected by the shutter clicks from others in the hide. It was that close it must have heard them. I guess it was so used to it with it being a popular hide.
Thanks, that's my concern with the focal length. With regards to the shutter sound I'm hoping it's not an issue, I'll obviously use the electronic shutter but there's two others plus Steve Race who runs runs it.
it may not make much difference , have a look at this video from the northrups. ff to 9.50 assuming the 100 400 dosent have the same Problem
View: https://youtu.be/h-aYXUoRDkM

i
Wow, 350mm at close focus that's crazy. It's a shame they don't mention how close.

I doubt you would be as close as minimum focal distance. Not sure if the effects of focus breathing are as marked with a kingfisher a couple meters away.
This is very telling, taken at 13.5ft which is likely going to be the sort of ball park I'll be shooting at. The 200-600mm is giving about a 520mm reach which means that potentially I'll get closer shots with my 100-400mm and 1.4 x tc :thinking:

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 08.06.32.jpg

This is very telling, taken at 13.5ft which is likely going to be the sort of ball park I'll be shooting at. The 200-600mm is giving about a 520mm reach which means that potentially I'll get closer shots with my 100-400mm and 1.4 x tc :thinking:

View attachment 381543
That's crazy, is it the same with all long lenses, or is the 200-600 particularly prone?

Last edited:
That's crazy, is it the same with all long lenses, or is the 200-600 particularly prone
I think most zoom lenses are prone to it, some more that others and from my brief research the 200-600mm does look particularly prone. Another lens that springs to mind is the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII which only gave something like 120mm at close focus.

View attachment 381543
Most zoom lenses are prone and especially telephoto ones. Parfocal zoom lenses like the ones used in videography are massive. Correcting a telephoto zoom to be parfocal would make rather large.
I doubt you'd see much difference even with 100-400mm. I know the canon 100-500 for example behaves closer to 450mm at closer distances.

This is one of the reasons why I want that Z400/4.5 with TC vs. 200-600mm. Size is one thing but I'd also get wee bit more reach with the prime.

Last edited:
Most zoom lenses are prone and especially telephoto ones. Parfocal lenses like the ones used in videography are massive. Correcting a telephoto zoom to be parfocal would make rather large.
I doubt you'd see much difference even with 100-400mm. I know the canon 100-500 for example behaves closer to 450mm at closer distances.

This is one of the reasons why I want that Z400/4.5 with TC vs. 200-600mm. Size is one thing but I'd also get wee bit more reach with the prime.
Yeah, I just didn't realise the 200-600mm was so bad. When you say you doubt you'd see much difference with the 100-400mm are you saying the framing would be similar as i've not seen anywhere that the 100-400mm suffers particularly from focus breathing?

I wouldn't trust that they say tbh. They are seldom reliable.
No I take it with a pinch of salt for sure which is why I looked elsewhere, however that test chart is telling. I've contacted Steve to find out exactly how close we'll be and if it's within 15ft I'll just stick with the 100-400mm and TC and if needs be risk dropping the shutter speed down once I've got some guaranteed keepers.

Yeah, I just didn't realise the 200-600mm was so bad. When you say you doubt you'd see much difference with the 100-400mm are you saying the framing would be similar as i've not seen anywhere that the 100-400mm suffers particularly from focus breathing?

I would be surprised it didn't focus breath at all.

I'm saying you'll get same or similar reach as 200-600mm with 100-400+1.4x.

Playing with more processing.

P9eQRI7.jpg

QqQeyvh.jpg

HWyL8Bl.jpg

Npd0ycv.jpg

No I take it with a pinch of salt for sure which is why I looked elsewhere, however that test chart is telling. I've contacted Steve to find out exactly how close we'll be and if it's within 15ft I'll just stick with the 100-400mm and TC and if needs be risk dropping the shutter speed down once I've got some guaranteed keepers.
Wex do the 400 f2.8 for £88 per day
That might be a better option ive heard it takes the tc very well .

Wex do the 400 f2.8 for £88 per day
That might be a better option ive heard it takes the tc very well .
I did contact Wex about that a while ago but I gave up in the end as they could not tell me if the lens would be delivered the day before or not, and whether it needed to be sent back on the same day or the day after. They also couldn't tell me if it was delivered the day before and collected the day after whether that would be charged as a single day usage or three day usage, and lastly they wanted a deposit for the full price of the lens ( £10500) or they could take a deposit of £1500 but they'd have to do a credit check.

I did contact Wex about that a while ago but I gave up in the end as they could not tell me if the lens would be delivered the day before or not, and whether it needed to be sent back on the same day or the day after. They also couldn't tell me if it was delivered the day before and collected the day after whether that would be charged as a single day usage or three day usage, and lastly they wanted a deposit for the full price of the lens ( £10500) or they could take a deposit of £1500 but they'd have to do a credit check.
That's sounds pants. I've always used @StewartR at Lenses For Hire for all my rental needs. They are doing a discount at the moment for February because it's their birthday. 15% off

That's sounds pants. I've always used @StewartR at Lenses For Hire for all my rental needs. They are doing a discount at the moment for February because it's their birthday. 15% off
Yep not great. I've rented from Stewart before and was happy with the service, but the 400mm f2.8 is 3 day minimum hire at £292 + shipping and I can't justify or afford that (y)

And there's a rumor about an A1 firmware update too.

Exciting times.

More rumors, this time of a looooong and possibly very expensive lens.

£12500 minimum I’d say.
And there's a rumor about an A1 firmware update too.

Exciting times.
I wonder what that will be? The A9II seems to have been forgotten about for updates, at least anything exciting. I have been hoping they’d improve animal AF but maybe it just doesn’t have the hardware.

Is it possible to see the focus distance in the EXIF data from photos, if so how do I do it? I can't see the info on Flickr, lightroom or info on mac.

I’ve never noticed/looked before but I’m surprised that the minimum focus distance of the 600mm f4 is 4.5m (14.8ft), and this is not unusual for a 600mm prime.

It’s not unusual for me to shoot birds closer than this and it never crossed my mind that I’d have not been able to shoot these shots with a 600mm prime :oops: :$

Is it possible to see the focus distance in the EXIF data from photos, if so how do I do it? I can't see the info on Flickr, lightroom or info on mac.
I've had a look through the A9 Exif data and I'm not seeing focus distance there either.

I see Simon wookie6262 has an A9 with a 3rd party grip for sale.

Very Nice :D
I'm looking for a second body but alas no cash at the moment. Insurance renewal and gas and electric bills that I've managed to have a negative balance on. Sucks!!

I'm looking for a second body but alas no cash at the moment. Insurance renewal and gas and electric bills that I've managed to have a negative balance on. Sucks!!

I seem addicted to lenses. I keep telling myself I have waaaay too many but I keep buying more. I'm currently the highest bidder on another and to be honest I don't know what I'll do if someone outbids me. Will I be glad? Will I increase my bid?

I need an intervention.

I'm messaged you with a snip from a7info. Looks like there are various bits of information in the exif.
Thanks, messaged back. Have now found the info (y)

I'm messaged you with a snip from a7info. Looks like there are various bits of information in the exif.
Looking at the info the distance is consistently inaccurate, two subjects I've measured at 2.8m and 4.2m have shown in the EXIF as 3.4m and 5.04m respectively. Measurement was taken from the plane of the sensor. I'll try from a longer distance if the weather improves so I can get out.

Doubt this will show very well but I've just been doing some tests with my 1.4x TC and comparing it against using the lens without TC and performing a 1.4x enlargement using Topaz Gigapixel, and then using Topaz sharpen AI to get the best possible results. All shot on a tripod using remote shutter, 100% crops

1. Gigapixel enlargement left vs 1.4 TC right, gigapixel looks sharper

TC right, Gigapixel Left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

2. Gigapixel enlargement left vs TC right then sharpened in Topaz, TC image looks sharper

TC and Sharpen AI right, Gigapixel left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

3. Gigapixel enlargement left vs 1.4 TC right, gigapixel looks sharper

Repsol TC right, gigapixel left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

4. Gigapixel enlargement left vs TC right then sharpened in Topaz, TC image looks sharper

Repsol TC and Sharpen AI right, Gigapixel left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

5. Gigapixel enlargement and sharpened left vs TC right then sharpened in Topaz, pretty much identical

Repsol TC and Sharpen AI right, Gigapixel and Sharpen AI left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Here's a link to the screenshots if you want to see it better

Doubt this will show very well but I've just been doing some tests with my 1.4x TC and comparing it against using the lens without TC and performing a 1.4x enlargement using Topaz Gigapixel, and then using Topaz sharpen AI to get the best possible results. All shot on a tripod using remote shutter, 100% crops

1. Gigapixel enlargement left vs 1.4 TC right, gigapixel looks sharper

TC right, Gigapixel Left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

2. Gigapixel enlargement left vs TC right then sharpened in Topaz, TC image looks sharper

TC and Sharpen AI right, Gigapixel left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

3. Gigapixel enlargement left vs 1.4 TC right, gigapixel looks sharper

Repsol TC right, gigapixel left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

4. Gigapixel enlargement left vs TC right then sharpened in Topaz, TC image looks sharper

Repsol TC and Sharpen AI right, Gigapixel left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

5. Gigapixel enlargement and sharpened left vs TC right then sharpened in Topaz, pretty much identical

Repsol TC and Sharpen AI right, Gigapixel and Sharpen AI left by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Here's a link to the screenshots if you want to see it better
Gigapixel works really well if your original file has enough details for it to analyze and upscale.
In case of birds that'd mean capturing enough feather details for example.

If the subject/bird/animal is really small in your frame with a lot of cropping then gigapixel won't really magic in the missing details.

Basically for shooting wildlife the aim should be to be able to get as close to the subject as possible.

Gigapixel works really well if your original file has enough details for it to analyze and upscale.
In case of birds that'd mean capturing enough feather details for example.

If the subject/bird/animal is really small in your frame with a lot of cropping then gigapixel won't really magic in the missing details.

Basically for shooting wildlife the aim should be to be able to get as close to the subject as possible.
Yeah I’d agree with that, I found it interesting findings nonetheless. I think it’s equally amazing how much detail topaz sharpen can bring out too.

Denoise and Sharpen are excellent. I also use the Mask tool and its excellent for separating foreground from background so you don't sharpen a creamy bokeh background.

Back