The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

This is an Absolute bargain for a working 300mm 2.8?

l1VlZGp.png
Did see it but not the prettiest copy is it.
I guess it's really cool bargain for someone who doesn't plan on selling it on and will keep it for a while.
Also the issue is if it breaks fixing it will be hard/expensive/impossible.

Did see it but not the prettiest copy is it.
I guess it's really cool bargain for someone who doesn't plan on selling it on and will keep it for a while.
Also the issue is if it breaks fixing it will be hard/expensive/impossible.

If it's working, and want to get into this focal range, I can't see a better option...just as a tool.

I have one of those for sale Alan.

It's superb.

I went for the Sony 20mm f1.8.

I've hardly used it but one of my tests of if it's money well spent is if I get any keepers and I do really like some of the pictures I've taken with that lens. Also, I have a dream of going on a cruise to see the Northern Lights one day and if I do get to go I have a 20mm f1.8 to take with me :D

I can see how people would like the Samyang. GLWTS Terry. I'm sure someone will want it :D

Last edited:
I have one of those for sale Alan.

It's superb.
The Samyang stuff these days seems to be very good. I purchased a 45mm f/1.8 after recommendations on here, and have to say I'm impressed with what it produces.

This is interesting.

Using RF lenses on an A7 and correcting corner issues using a filter...

It's not something I'm going to try but it's interesting that someone has spent the time working out a solution and making the product available.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This looks interesting

Not sure how well this will show on here but I've been really impressed with Topaz Sharpen with missed focus shots and have found that it can sometimes rescue shots that would have otherwise ended up in the bin. Here's one today (100% crop), completely user error as I wasn't quick enough and missed the focus completely (on the right) and then showing how it was rescued (left)

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 16.44.07 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
I have looked it topaz sharpen but wondered if the amount of use it would get justified the price. How much do you find you use it?

I have looked it topaz sharpen but wondered if the amount of use it would get justified the price. How much do you find you use it?

For me the price would be justified if it rescued pictures I really liked. I suppose one question you/I/we need to ask ourselves is how many pictures would we need to rescue from being too soft for us to enjoy them to make it worth the price?

I have both Topaz Sharpen and their Denoise, if I really want to keep the shot then I will use Topaz as they do a great job for getting more keepers.

I use it a lot, I find the sharpening better than lightroom so have started to use it for general sharpening as well as to rescue shots, although the rescued shots were just experimenting rather than me actually intending on keeping the shots.

Rumor site...

"What’s going to be announced next week: One Sony lens, one Tamron lens and maybe three new Sigma lenses"

I think it's safe to assume he means the Sony 50mm f1.4 and not another 50mm f1.2.

Also...
  • February 21 at 3pm London time Sony will announce the new 50mm f/1.2 GM. Note: The 16-35mm GM II and the new ZV FF camera are likely to be announced in March
  • February 22: Tamron will announce a new lens (unclear if it’s a X or Z-mount version of a current E-mount lens or if this will be a completely new lens)
  • Next week or in March? It’s unclear if Sigma will announce the three new E-mount lenses next week or in March. What’s sure is that we are going to get soon the new 17mm f/4, 50mm f/2 and 23mm f/1.4 lenses
  • Voigtlander/Tokina/Samyang/Laowa and others: I have no rumors about other E-mount lenses coming from those manufacturers but it might well be that we are going to get something new from them next week!
As I mentioned a few days back the well reviewed Voigtlander 50mm f1 is coming in Nikon mount so it'd be nice to see a Sony mount one too. If it comes I'll read the reviews and look at sample pictures but I think my recent 50mm f1.1 buy has satisfied my gas for now. Annoyingly when I looked into it it is actually the Syoptic I bought even though it was advertised as a Mr Ding. The Syoptic is effectively the MK1 with the Ding coming later. The easiest way to tell them apart is the filter size, the Syoptic being 52mm and the Ding 62mm.

Last edited:
Rumor site...

"What’s going to be announced next week: One Sony lens, one Tamron lens and maybe three new Sigma lenses"

I think it's safe to assume he means the Sony 50mm f1.4 and not another 50mm f1.2.

Also...
  • February 21 at 3pm London time Sony will announce the new 50mm f/1.2 GM. Note: The 16-35mm GM II and the new ZV FF camera are likely to be announced in March
  • February 22: Tamron will announce a new lens (unclear if it’s a X or Z-mount version of a current E-mount lens or if this will be a completely new lens)
  • Next week or in March? It’s unclear if Sigma will announce the three new E-mount lenses next week or in March. What’s sure is that we are going to get soon the new 17mm f/4, 50mm f/2 and 23mm f/1.4 lenses
  • Voigtlander/Tokina/Samyang/Laowa and others: I have no rumors about other E-mount lenses coming from those manufacturers but it might well be that we are going to get something new from them next week!
As I mentioned a few days back the well reviewed Voigtlander 50mm f1 is coming in Nikon mount so it'd be nice to see a Sony mount one too. If it comes I'll read the reviews and look at sample pictures but I think my recent 50mm f1.1 buy has satisfied my gas for now. Annoyingly when I looked into it it is actually the Syoptic I bought even though it was advertised as a Mr Ding. The Syoptic is effectively the MK1 with the Ding coming later. The easiest way to tell them apart is the filter size, the Syoptic being 52mm and the Ding 62mm.
I'm waiting on the 16-35mm GM II, if it's not crazy expensive and not too heavy I could be tempted otherwise I'm pretty sure I'll go for the PZ 16-35mm at some point.

I think I've mentioned this before but I've got a kingfisher experience booked next month and I can't decide what to do lens wise and wondered what others would do? I have the 100-400mm GM and 1.4x TC but am considering hiring the 200-600mm for the little bit of extra reach, but mainly the 2/3 stop extra light gathering. I'd imagine the 200-600mm at 600mm will be sharper than the 100-400mm with TC. I just can't decide whether it's worth spending the £100 hire fee :thinking: I'd love the 600mm f4 but there's no way I'm paying £300+ to hire a lens.

I think I've mentioned this before but I've got a kingfisher experience booked next month and I can't decide what to do lens wise and wondered what others would do? I have the 100-400mm GM and 1.4x TC but am considering hiring the 200-600mm for the little bit of extra reach, but mainly the 2/3 stop extra light gathering. I'd imagine the 200-600mm at 600mm will be sharper than the 100-400mm with TC. I just can't decide whether it's worth spending the £100 hire fee :thinking: I'd love the 600mm f4 but there's no way I'm paying £300+ to hire a lens.

If it was me and I could use it with no problems I'd go for the 200-600mm, as like you say having the extra bit of reach could be of great help.

If it was me and I could use it with no problems I'd go for the 200-600mm, as like you say having the extra bit of reach could be of great help.
Will be using a tripod so weight's not an issue.

I think I've mentioned this before but I've got a kingfisher experience booked next month and I can't decide what to do lens wise and wondered what others would do? I have the 100-400mm GM and 1.4x TC but am considering hiring the 200-600mm for the little bit of extra reach, but mainly the 2/3 stop extra light gathering. I'd imagine the 200-600mm at 600mm will be sharper than the 100-400mm with TC. I just can't decide whether it's worth spending the £100 hire fee :thinking: I'd love the 600mm f4 but there's no way I'm paying £300+ to hire a lens

Have they said how far away from the bird/s you are?

Have they said how far away from the bird/s you are?
Potentially 10-12ft. It’s not a dive pool just a private pond that they come back to every year.

10-12ft I don't think you don't need 600mm, I would take the 100-400mm and the 1.4x (just in case).
I know when we had blue tits nesting in our garden I could get within 8ft and at 600mm it was only just filling the frame. It’s difficult without seeing the setup first.

You should hire a canon R5 + 100-500mm on the try before you buy scheme :D
That way you have longer reach and more cropping room and free rent.

Otherwise I'd take the 200-600mm. When you have spent the money to book a experience why not make the most of it by having the lens that'll serve you best (within reasonable cost)

I agree, you need the reach for how small these birds are. I was in a hide last week and can't imagine anybody getting closer in other setups and I was always at 600mm. Even at 600mm bird was occupying about a quarter of the frame. It was surprising how little the bird seemed affected by the shutter clicks from others in the hide. It was that close it must have heard them. I guess it was so used to it with it being a popular hide.

Last edited:
it may not make much difference , have a look at this video from the northrups. ff to 9.50 assuming the 100 400 dosent have the same Problem
View: https://youtu.be/h-aYXUoRDkM

i

it may not make much difference , have a look at this video from the northrups. ff to 9.50 assuming the 100 400 dosent have the same Problem
View: https://youtu.be/h-aYXUoRDkM

i
I doubt you would be as close as minimum focal distance. Not sure if the effects of focus breathing are as marked with a kingfisher a couple meters away.

Back