The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That's not a criticism, but it's just a different style lens.

I thought the issue was Sony 50mm f1.2 v Sony 50mm f1.4?

If that is the case my point was that IMO there's not a lot of difference between f1.2 and f1.4. My opinion is that it's mainly the difference in the size of specular highlights and any other differences and indeed possibly that one too will probably only be noticed if you compare f1.2 and f1.4 shots taken of the same scene before something changes.

These two Sony lenses don't AFAIK have identical optical builds so the look they'll give at their widest apertures or when both at f1.4 may be different again from one lens at f1.2 and then f1.4 and that needs thinking about. If it was me I'd go for the f1.4 just for the slightly smaller and lighter package but I can understand people going for the f1.2 if it's the better lens but the fact that it's f1.2 rather than f1.4 is something that I personally wouldn't even consider as IMO the difference from f1.2 to f1.4 is not worth worrying about. If it's a better rendering lens then that comes under the better lens heading for me but then I'd be back to wondering if I'd ever notice anything wrong with the rendering of the slightly smaller and lighter f1.4 if that's what I had.

As above, I think in Snerklers place I'd want to see more sample pictures from the f1.4 and then make my mind up.

Manny looks at MF v Sony A7RV...

I don't know if he's right but he says that the human eye has a DR of 20 stops. I've noticed that sometimes when shooting into the sun / glare my cameras capture detail which I couldn't see at the time by eye. This has definitely happened with my MFT cameras too so perhaps some of the human DR perception is at the other end of the scale, the shadow end? I don't know, it's just interesting.

Last edited:
Manny looks at MF v Sony A7RV...

I don't know if he's right but he says that the human eye has a DR of 20 stops. I've noticed that sometimes when shooting into the sun / glare my cameras capture detail which I couldn't see at the time by eye. This has definitely happened with my MFT cameras too so perhaps some of the human DR perception is at the other end of the scale, the shadow end? I don't know, it's just interesting.
I don’t think there’s a reliable info as to what the dynamic range of the human eye is, I’ve seen reports ranging anywhere from 10-14 stops to 24 stops, but I’ve also seen it said that the eyes constantly adapt/adjust depending on where you look which is probably why information is so sketchy :thinking:

I’ve not had chance to watch the video yet to know what he says about it (y)

Hi All,

Bit of advice needed.

I currently have a Sony AR3a and bought a little while ago a Sony 70-200 f4, however I don’t really use it that much - doesn’t seem like there’s that much “zoom”.

I can currently get about £760 on trade in with the offers Sony are doing if I get a Sony 100-400 - just wondering if it’s worth the extra expense?

Might also just sell the lens on here - if so, any ideas on what I would get? It’s mint, boxed, all accessories.

Alternatively any other recommendations? I currently have the 20mm 1.8 Sony and the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 - would really like to do more portrait photography mainly - however I do like scenic shots and sometimes you just can’t get close enough.

Thanks for the help,

Paul

Well if you had the 100-400 it would get used a lot more than the 70-200
I have the same one and find the same thing but it is light for a mid-range zoom and seems very sharp.
With the option of jumping in APS-C and clear image zoom you would have most things covered with the 100-400 and two you have.

I have the Sigma 100-400mm which I think is a similar size and weight to the Sony one, for F-mount I also have the Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 and the Tamron 150-600mm. The 100-400mm is the one I use the most of the three as it has a good bit more usable range than the 70-200mm but the size and weight isn't too much to carry around as it is the 150-600mm lens.

Hi All,

Bit of advice needed.

I currently have a Sony AR3a and bought a little while ago a Sony 70-200 f4, however I don’t really use it that much - doesn’t seem like there’s that much “zoom”.

I can currently get about £760 on trade in with the offers Sony are doing if I get a Sony 100-400 - just wondering if it’s worth the extra expense?

Might also just sell the lens on here - if so, any ideas on what I would get? It’s mint, boxed, all accessories.

Alternatively any other recommendations? I currently have the 20mm 1.8 Sony and the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 - would really like to do more portrait photography mainly - however I do like scenic shots and sometimes you just can’t get close enough.

Thanks for the help,

Paul
I think you mean reach rather than zoom. Reach makes things in the distance appear bigger, zoom is a factor between the shortest end vs the long end. For example the 100-400mm has a 4x zoom and the 200-600mm a 3x zoom but the 200-600mm will give you more reach and make distance things appear larger.

70-200mm lenses are fairly specific and aren’t lenses if you want lots of reach do things such as wildlife.

What are you wanting to shoot with it?
Well if you had the 100-400 it would get used a lot more than the 70-200
I have the same one and find the same thing but it is light for a mid-range zoom and seems very sharp.
With the option of jumping in APS-C and clear image zoom you would have most things covered with the 100-400 and two you have.
Clear image zoom is jpeg only, but can give ‘ok’ results in certain situations. Using the APS-C mode is no different to cropping in post, and of course reduces the megapixels.

I think you mean reach rather than zoom. Reach makes things in the distance appear bigger, zoom is a factor between the shortest end vs the long end. For example the 100-400mm has a 4x zoom and the 200-600mm a 3x zoom but the 200-600mm will give you more reach and make distance things appear larger.

70-200mm lenses are fairly specific and aren’t lenses if you want lots of reach do things such as wildlife.

What are you wanting to shoot with it?

Clear image zoom is jpeg only, but can give ‘ok’ results in certain situations. Using the APS-C mode is no different to cropping in post, and of course reduces the megapixels.

The 70-200 was more about getting a decent lens for a good price - however it’s just not what I thought.

I went through the current Sigma offer and got the 150-600 and the 60-600 for a few days for free, so managed to have a good go of them. REALLY LIKED the 60-600, but just totally impractical as a lens I would want to use as an all purpose based on size and weight.

Thought the Sony was a good compromise - have also seen the Tamron 500mm but seems to be a bit more hit and miss on the reviews, however it’s a fraction of the price of the Sony etc

Part of the problem I think is I really like the Zeiss and the 20mm Sony - just want the “reach” but without the weight, size of the Sigma - happy to not spend the level of the Sony so long as I can get comparable performance.

Part of the problem I think is I really like the Zeiss and the 20mm Sony - just want the “reach” but without the weight, size of the Sigma - happy to not spend the level of the Sony so long as I can get comparable performance.
Every photographer in the world wants that ;) The only way you can get that is with a camera with much smaller sensor, but the you sacrifice image quality.

The 70-200 was more about getting a decent lens for a good price - however it’s just not what I thought.

I went through the current Sigma offer and got the 150-600 and the 60-600 for a few days for free, so managed to have a good go of them. REALLY LIKED the 60-600, but just totally impractical as a lens I would want to use as an all purpose based on size and weight.

Thought the Sony was a good compromise - have also seen the Tamron 500mm but seems to be a bit more hit and miss on the reviews, however it’s a fraction of the price of the Sony etc

You have a great lens, personally I’d stick with it a bit longer as you can crop significantly with that great A7R3a sensor.

You’ve got the 20-200 range covered, that’s pretty comprehensive and unless you’re into BIF or fast moving sports from a significant distance I’d stick and add a Sigma 100-400 later if you still want more reach.

Anyone use any protective skins on the A1? If so, which? Also interested in thoughts of using the 1.4x TC with the 600mm F4 GM

Anyone use any protective skins on the A1? If so, which? Also interested in thoughts of using the 1.4x TC with the 600mm F4 GM
Alpha skins are good.

Pricey but nice.

Thanks, are these protective or just decorative? How on earth do they even attach? Looks like some vinyl thing lol

@snerkler how do you find the 100-400 with the TC?

My experience using 1.4x TC on the 100-400mm GM is very positive. In terms of AF I don’t really see much difference. In terms of sharpness there’s very little drop off. Shooting at close distance the difference in sharpness is very small indeed, with subjects further away there’s some softening but not much at all imo.

I thought the issue was Sony 50mm f1.2 v Sony 50mm f1.4?

If that is the case my point was that IMO there's not a lot of difference between f1.2 and f1.4. My opinion is that it's mainly the difference in the size of specular highlights and any other differences and indeed possibly that one too will probably only be noticed if you compare f1.2 and f1.4 shots taken of the same scene before something changes.

These two Sony lenses don't AFAIK have identical optical builds so the look they'll give at their widest apertures or when both at f1.4 may be different again from one lens at f1.2 and then f1.4 and that needs thinking about. If it was me I'd go for the f1.4 just for the slightly smaller and lighter package but I can understand people going for the f1.2 if it's the better lens but the fact that it's f1.2 rather than f1.4 is something that I personally wouldn't even consider as IMO the difference from f1.2 to f1.4 is not worth worrying about. If it's a better rendering lens then that comes under the better lens heading for me but then I'd be back to wondering if I'd ever notice anything wrong with the rendering of the slightly smaller and lighter f1.4 if that's what I had.

As above, I think in Snerklers place I'd want to see more sample pictures from the f1.4 and then make my mind up.

Sorry not to come back sooner. Having seen some of the images produced using the 50 f1.2, I'd say they have a look to them that's from more than just the aperture, and quite different from the other Sony/Zeiss and your Voigtlander wider aperture lenses. If I didn't mind that much money being tied up in a single lens then I'd definitely have bought one at least a year ago. I don't think it's about the aperture, but rather a lens-specific characteristic and a 50 f1.4 isn't going to cut it.

Sorry not to come back sooner. Having seen some of the images produced using the 50 f1.2, I'd say they have a look to them that's from more than just the aperture, and quite different from the other Sony/Zeiss and your Voigtlander wider aperture lenses. If I didn't mind that much money being tied up in a single lens then I'd definitely have bought one at least a year ago. I don't think it's about the aperture, but rather a lens-specific characteristic and a 50 f1.4 isn't going to cut it.
I’ve seen a few reviews saying the bokeh of the new f1.4 GM is nicer than the f1.2. Of course this is all subjective and could be a case of emperor’s new clothes.

There’s a new series of images on Flickr for the f1.4 and it does have the pop that I like, much better examples than the many reviews I’ve seen.

On the subject of "pop" I've been amazed by the Tamron 28-75 G2 in the "pop" department, something that people often attribute to Zeiss lenses, interestingly a few days ago I read that Tamron actually manufacturer the Zeiss lenses, seems they've used the same magic recipe on the G2.

On the subject of "pop" I've been amazed by the Tamron 28-75 G2 in the "pop" department, something that people often attribute to Zeiss lenses, interestingly a few days ago I read that Tamron actually manufacturer the Zeiss lenses, seems they've used the same magic recipe on the G2.
It’s not a lens Ive looked into tbh as the focal range is not for me, but @NewBeetle ’s shots always look great with it.

It’s not a lens Ive looked into tbh as the focal range is not for me, but @NewBeetle ’s shots always look great with it.

Cheers mate, mine's the original version not the G2. I have zero complaints about the lens, just wish it went to 24mm but then it wouldn't be as small/light etc.

Thanks, are these protective or just decorative? How on earth do they even attach? Looks like some vinyl thing lol
Yeah they're protective, i used them on my Sony Riv and i was pleased with the quality.

They just stick on but don't leave any residue when you come to remove them.

I just got a Sony A7 IV and I'm looking to buy a battery charger for Sony NP-FZ100 batteries since none came with the box. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Last edited:
Barn Owl
Barn Owl by robb d, on Flickr
Barn Owl Coming in to Land by robb d, on Flickr
Barn Owl Hunting by robb d, on Flickr
Lovely shots there Mav, what camera and lens combo?

Yeah they're protective, i used them on my Sony Riv and i was pleased with the quality.

They just stick on but don't leave any residue when you come to remove them.
Thanks Kieran, I'll take a look and see if I can get something to match the camouflage on the lens.

Very nice indeed. Despite my efforts I'm yet to see an owl in the wild, much like I've never seen a kingfisher in the wild. They must see me coming a mile off :headbang: :LOL:

Or perhaps you just don't see them? While in France a couple of years back I saw kingfishers several times but my wife not once despite being next to me. We have owls around here because I see them in the car headlights at night, but not in the day. :(

Or perhaps you just don't see them? While in France a couple of years back I saw kingfishers several times but my wife not once despite being next to me. We have owls around here because I see them in the car headlights at night, but not in the day. :(
Of course very true, but I do tend to have a keen eye and do tend to spot birds that others don't :thinking:

Not sure how well this will show on here as TP tends to soften images but here goes.

100-400mm left vs 100-400mm with 1.4TC right

100-400mm vs 100-400mm 1.4tc by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

1:1 crops of the above images

100-400mm vs 100-400mm 1.4tc 100% crop by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

100-400mm enlarged 1.4x in gigapixel left vs 100-400mm with 1.4x TC right

Gigapixel vs 1.4x TC by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

100-400mm enlarged 1.4x in gigapixel left vs 100-400mm with 1.4x TC sharpened with topaz sharpen right

Gigapixel vs 1.4x TC Sharpened by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Screenshots can be downloaded here

Had the opportunity to put a few more frames through the Samyang 35mm f1.4, 55mm f1.4 and 135mm f1.8 lenses I recently acquired. Mainly family stuff, so unfortunately nothing I can really share here picture wise, but I’m really happy with all 3 lenses.

The 135mm f1.8 is every bit as good wide open as all the reviews I read / watched said it would be. It also managed to keep up with my son riding straight towards me on his mountain bike, although I’m yet to be fully convinced it would do that consistently or how it would handle fast erratically moving targets.

The 50mm f1.4 has some lovely colours and rendering and is tack sharp in the centre of the frame wide open. It does get softer though as you move away from the centre with it wide open, but I knew that was the case from the reviews I’d read.

The 35mm f1.4 is the most solid feeling of all 3 of the lenses from a build perspective, but that doesn’t mean the other two aren’t well built. Again, wide open sharpness and colours / rendering are spot on.

I did think long and hard about whether to go with Samyang for these focal lengths, but so far I’m extremely happy that I did.

Cheers,

Simon.

Back