The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Amazing what advancements in tech does. I only ever had issues if flicking through photos quickly, sometimes it was fine and sometimes I’d get the spinning beachball. I never did figure out why, didn’t seem to matter how big the catalogue was. Happened more frequently with the 61mp A7RIV files but it did also occur on the 16mp Olympus files. Could drive me mad at times.

I do think it was an issue with my system though, whether it was some other software causing issues or not I don’t know.
In my experience ON1 and Luminar are brilliant at creating spinning beach balls :ROFLMAO:

By the way guys DXO Pure RAW 3 has just launched, been playing with it tonight, it's superb.

I do understand the desire for a bigger screen - presently struggling with the trade-off between small/light and bigger/clearer for my laptop upgrade. I found a Lenovo X1 nano 13" screen job for about £860 that weighs 910g, but the SSD is a funny size and I'd really prefer a bigger screen for when I use it travelling. I've found a good value 16" job, but the size makes me baulk a little. All the 15"ers and 14"ers I can afford have crap screens except the ASUS OLED jobs that will likely suffer burn after a couple of years.

Choices, choices. 16" is winning right now, especially since it's a little smaller than the XPS15.
I've gone from a 27" 5k iMac to a 14" Macbook Pro M1 16GB, took a bit of getting used to but I find it's fine now and the performance is mind blowing.

I owned a PC building business for 9 years and I could never go back to Windows after using Mac's for the last 13 years.

I do understand the desire for a bigger screen - presently struggling with the trade-off between small/light and bigger/clearer for my laptop upgrade. I found a Lenovo X1 nano 13" screen job for about £860 that weighs 910g, but the SSD is a funny size and I'd really prefer a bigger screen for when I use it travelling. I've found a good value 16" job, but the size makes me baulk a little. All the 15"ers and 14"ers I can afford have crap screens except the ASUS OLED jobs that will likely suffer burn after a couple of years.

Choices, choices. 16" is winning right now, especially since it's a little smaller than the XPS15.
16” works for me, but tbh I had no issue with 15”. The weird thing with the 27” 5k screen I had was that viewing 1:1 didn’t zoom in that much as it was a 15mp screen IIRC, with the 16mp Olympus files you were pretty much viewing them at 1:1 all the time :LOL:

I've gone from a 27" 5k iMac to a 14" Macbook Pro M1 16GB, took a bit of getting used to but I find it's fine now and the performance is mind blowing.

I owned a PC building business for 9 years and I could never go back to Windows after using Mac's for the last 13 years.
I’ve hated Windows ever since windows 8, and EVERY windows computer I’ve had has ground to snail pace within 2-3 years, even ones at work that I’ve put no additional software on. Reinstalling fresh OS sped them up for a couple of weeks before they slowed again.

Many people have told me this is rubbish and doesn’t happen, clearly I’ve just been unlucky with about 15 computers ;)

I’ve hated Windows ever since windows 8, and EVERY windows computer I’ve had has ground to snail pace within 2-3 years, even ones at work that I’ve put no additional software on. Reinstalling fresh OS sped them up for a couple of weeks before they slowed again.

Many people have told me this is rubbish and doesn’t happen, clearly I’ve just been unlucky with about 15 computers ;)
Indeed, on the repairs side 70% was reinstalling windows, 10% hard drive failure, 10% blown modems after a thunderstorm (record week was 23 lol) and 10% other.

It certainly used to, both macs and PC's, although I did use a system running XP that was disconnected from updates, and that didn't slow down.

Now both Apple and Microsoft appear to have solved that problem.

Has anyone else noticed anything odd with "Your Content"? Any of mine after 2013 has gone.

Yeah this doesn’t happen and has never happened with any windows system I’ve built or used.

I guess there’s a budget difference though as just my windows system alone costs over £5k so I wouldn’t expect it to slow down.

It certainly used to, both macs and PC's, although I did use a system running XP that was disconnected from updates, and that didn't slow down.

Now both Apple and Microsoft appear to have solved that problem.
That's good to know, maybe I need to buy a new windows one for work then as my 2 year old one takes roughly 5 minutes to boot up and all it's ever done is view x-rays :headbang: For some reason radiology still don't seem to realise Macs exist and NHS radiography software doesn't work on them :rolleyes:

I've never had a Mac slow down, at least not perceivably (y)
Yeah this doesn’t happen and has never happened with any windows system I’ve built or used.

I guess there’s a budget difference though as just my windows system alone costs over £5k so I wouldn’t expect it to slow down.
:eek:

In my experience ON1 and Luminar are brilliant at creating spinning beach balls :ROFLMAO:

By the way guys DXO Pure RAW 3 has just launched, been playing with it tonight, it's superb.

I haven't tried Luminar but I am going to assume that it is absolutely rubbish just because of their marketing alone.

They are torturing me with emails to sign up to their affiliate program. They offer free Luminar and 50 % of all sales through the affiliate link they would provide me with. Seems very desperate to me so assume the product is quite poor.

I have had 32 emails from them in the past 2 months, plus a few calls as well.

I haven't tried Luminar but I am going to assume that it is absolutely rubbish just because of their marketing alone.

They are torturing me with emails to sign up to their affiliate program. They offer free Luminar and 50 % of all sales through the affiliate link they would provide me with. Seems very desperate to me so assume the product is quite poor.

I have had 32 emails from them in the past 2 months, plus a few calls as well.
Same here, I’m on the affiliate programme but wouldn’t dream of unleashing it on anyone so never bothered to advertise it.

That's good to know, maybe I need to buy a new windows one for work then as my 2 year old one takes roughly 5 minutes to boot up and all it's ever done is view x-rays :headbang: For some reason radiology still don't seem to realise Macs exist and NHS radiography software doesn't work on them :rolleyes:

I've never had a Mac slow down, at least not perceivably

It's weird. My old MacBook was really frustrating, after about 18 months that was taking several minutes to boot, and trying to use a brush in LR5 required me to move the mouse between 2 points and then wait for the computer to catch up. Removing dust spots was click + wait, then find the next one. That was running 10.5 - 10.6 was a tram smash and Apple's Vista - I can't be rude enough about it. Mountain Lion was good & the last update the MacBook could manage.

Just a thought about your windows x-ray machine - is it on a network? I've seen some networks just kill performance for an otherwise normal computer, taking minutes to boot and more than an hour to log in. My present work laptop is a 1yo dell with i7 etc, and at one time was as slow as you describe, but fixing the network issues has made it less bad. OTOH my 2014 Dell XPS was last rebuilt 4-5 years ago when I upped the msata SSD to 1tb and still boots in less than a minute.

There's often a reason.

*edit*

Following up from my last post, idle curiosity got the better of me. The XPS had Windows last installed July 2019 - a little more recently than I'd remembered. After a proper re-start, then shut down, it took 19 seconds from pressing the power button to the login screen, and was at a functional desktop in 25 seconds from pressing power. This is slower than my wife's Lenovo S530 that we bought 2 years ago, since that's booting off an M2 drive rather than the slower mSATA used here. If I were using an older spinning HDD as some of the equipment driving PCs where I work do, then I'd expect 1-2min for a standalone, un-networked machine.

If your windows computer is taking 5 minutes to boot then there's something substantially wrong, especially if it's booting off a solid state drive.

Last edited:

I got fed up with the windows problems and went Mac a long time ago and have never regretted it. Mac's just work.

I got fed up with the windows problems and went Mac a long time ago and have never regretted it. Mac's just work.

Me too.

Although...this is funny.

OVoU0P4.jpg

It's weird. My old MacBook was really frustrating, after about 18 months that was taking several minutes to boot, and trying to use a brush in LR5 required me to move the mouse between 2 points and then wait for the computer to catch up. Removing dust spots was click + wait, then find the next one. That was running 10.5 - 10.6 was a tram smash and Apple's Vista - I can't be rude enough about it. Mountain Lion was good & the last update the MacBook could manage.

Just a thought about your windows x-ray machine - is it on a network? I've seen some networks just kill performance for an otherwise normal computer, taking minutes to boot and more than an hour to log in. My present work laptop is a 1yo dell with i7 etc, and at one time was as slow as you describe, but fixing the network issues has made it less bad. OTOH my 2014 Dell XPS was last rebuilt 4-5 years ago when I upped the msata SSD to 1tb and still boots in less than a minute.

There's often a reason.

*edit*

Following up from my last post, idle curiosity got the better of me. The XPS had Windows last installed July 2019 - a little more recently than I'd remembered. After a proper re-start, then shut down, it took 19 seconds from pressing the power button to the login screen, and was at a functional desktop in 25 seconds from pressing power. This is slower than my wife's Lenovo S530 that we bought 2 years ago, since that's booting off an M2 drive rather than the slower mSATA used here. If I were using an older spinning HDD as some of the equipment driving PCs where I work do, then I'd expect 1-2min for a standalone, un-networked machine.

If your windows computer is taking 5 minutes to boot then there's something substantially wrong, especially if it's booting off a solid state drive.
No never on a network, and it's only HDD not SSD. But this is what's happened to all my windows computers, maybe I'm just a virus to them :LOL:

I was talking to someone about work today and I'm sorry but I just can not summon up one iota of interest in computers any more :D

I'd rather talk about paint and how long it takes to dry :D

I know we need computers... but... meh.

:D

No never on a network, and it's only HDD not SSD. But this is what's happened to all my windows computers, maybe I'm just a virus to them :LOL:

I think you must be.
:help:

TBH the only OS I ever found that just worked was more recent versions of Linux Mint, with fantastic support for legacy hardware and printers etc. I've never really forgiven Apple for the trouble I had using 3rd party monitors and printers, although I'm quite prepared to believe they are less bad now.

If I could run lightroom and on1 with Linux then I wouldn't have windows, bit I'd rather Microsoft than Apple.

Last edited:
Anyone bought the 20-70mm f4 yet and can comment on performance etc?

I’ve now looked at about 10 reviews of the 50mm f1.4 GM and I’m yet to see a single image I’m blown away by. The bokeh’s very nice but the images on the whole look flat. I’m not sure why that is but I’ll reserve my final judgement until it’s released and there’s a large sample of photos to view on Flickr etc.

I’ve now looked at about 10 reviews of the 50mm f1.4 GM and I’m yet to see a single image I’m blown away by. The bokeh’s very nice but the images on the whole look flat. I’m not sure why that is but I’ll reserve my final judgement until it’s released and there’s a large sample of photos to view on Flickr etc.
Mate. Just get the GM f1.2. You know you wanna…

If I was in the market for one of these I might go for the f1.4 as it's a bit smaller and a bit lighter and would you really need anything that f1.2 brings over f1.4?

Took advantage of the current Samyang instant cashback offer on at the moment and picked up mk II f1.4 versions of their 35mm and 50mm lenses, along with their 135mm f1.8. Very limited initial testing late yesterday afternoon implies that all 3 are super sharp wide open . Looking forward to using them more over the weekend.

Took advantage of the current Samyang instant cashback offer on at the moment and picked up mk II f1.4 versions of their 35mm and 50mm lenses, along with their 135mm f1.8. Very limited initial testing late yesterday afternoon implies that all 3 are super sharp wide open . Looking forward to using them more over the weekend.
Nice, hope you enjoy them. I didn't realise there was a promo on.

If I was in the market for one of these I might go for the f1.4 as it's a bit smaller and a bit lighter and would you really need anything that f1.2 brings over f1.4?
The extra creaminess of the bokeh is always nice but it's not worth the extra size and weight for me.

Nice, hope you enjoy them. I didn't realise there was a promo on.
Thanks Toby, and thanks again for answering my questions about the 50mm f1.4. They have instant cashback on some of their range - saved me between £100-£130 per lens.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks Toby, and thanks again for answering my questions about the 50mm f1.4. They have instant cashback on some of their range - saved me between £100-£130 per lens.

Cheers,

Simon.
Just looked, £100 cheaper than I paid for the 50mm :headbang: Oh well, I've had 9 months of use for that I guess ;)

The extra creaminess of the bokeh is always nice but it's not worth the extra size and weight for me.

I've looked with my wider aperture lenses and tbh the only significant difference I see is in the size of the bokeh balls. Size and weight is one of my main priorities, I'm not really interested in the bigger combinations and that's one of the reasons I moved away from Canon DSLR's.

Last edited:
About to pull the trigger on a Sony A1 + 600mm F4 GM OSS combo and wanted to ask what people were using for memory cards with the A1? I'll be using the 30 fps burst option more than likely due to bird photography being my primary use case for the combo. Also, any user feedback on battery usage and number of spare batteries required also?

I've looked with my wider aperture lenses and tbh the only significant difference I see is in the size of the bokeh balls. Size and weight is one of my main priorities, I'm not really interested in the bigger combinations and that's one of the reasons I moved away from Canon DSLR's.

I think the key is in the rendering, especially at wider apertures, but if you can't see it or shoot at f2 or smaller then there's no point.

I think the key is in the rendering, especially at wider apertures, but if you can't see it or shoot at f2 or smaller then there's no point.

40 not 50 but... f1.2 v f1.4.

1-1.2.jpg

1-1.4.jpg

2-1.2.jpg

2-1.4.jpg

Now that I have a wider than f1.8 50mm I'll do a aperture comparison when I get the opportunity but of course this is with the same lens and different lenses might well render differently at f1.2 / f1.4. Personally I'd go for the f1.4 unless it's horrible and if it isn't horrible I think we'd have to nit pick pictures of the same scene from each at f1.2 and f1.4 to see any difference. Faced with one f1.4 picture maybe we'd be happy enough especially with some bulk and weight saving.

The f1.2 background looks softer to my eyes, but it's subtle and this is why it's difficult for me to justify the f1.2. For that 2-5% of extra softness it's just not worth the extra size and weight, not to mention cost. I've also seen some reviews where the bokeh of the 50mm f1.4 GM is nicer and softer than the 50mm f1.2 GM so clearly the size of the aperture isn't everything.
40 not 50 but... f1.2 v f1.4.

View attachment 384193

View attachment 384194

View attachment 384195

View attachment 384196

Now that I have a wider than f1.8 50mm I'll do a aperture comparison when I get the opportunity but of course this is with the same lens and different lenses might well render differently at f1.2 / f1.4. Personally I'd go for the f1.4 unless it's horrible and if it isn't horrible I think we'd have to nit pick pictures of the same scene from each at f1.2 and f1.4 to see any difference. Faced with one f1.4 picture maybe we'd be happy enough especially with some bulk and weight saving.
As above, very little difference (y)

He doesn't need mates like you Mr Bray, get your hand out of his purse :ROFLMAO:
He’s a bad influence isn’t he :LOL:

Tbh I have no interest in the f1.2, it’s too big and heavy for a 50mm prime for me. The Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN’s as big and heavy as I’d want to go. In an ideal world I’d like that to be lighter, but it’s acceptable.

He’s a bad influence isn’t he :LOL:

Tbh I have no interest in the f1.2, it’s too big and heavy for a 50mm prime for me. The Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN’s as big and heavy as I’d want to go. In an ideal world I’d like that to be lighter, but it’s acceptable.
This is a proper man size lens, a weapon, my arms are still recovering from when I had it on Canon.

This is a proper man size lens, a weapon, my arms are still recovering from when I had it on Canon.

Crazy. I do obviously use heavier lenses such as the 70-200mm and 100-400mm but the idea of a prime for me is that they should be small a compact. That’s clearly gone out of the window these days but there’s still a cut off place for me.

It's a different, rather hard rendering compared to the Sammy.

The lens has been pretty widely praised for its bokeh at portrait distance, see the various reviews and blogs and the many available samples. A messy foliage scene is going to be a hard test and then there's light and contrast and all the rest so I think the only way to compare lenses is with the same or very similar subjects in the same or very similar settings and conditions. Even my very harsh rendering in some situations Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 can give smooth rendering with some scenes and conditions, and also the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 is 40mm not 35 or 50mm.

Last edited:
Back