The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not sure how well this will show on here as TP tends to soften images but here goes.

100-400mm left vs 100-400mm with 1.4TC right

100-400mm vs 100-400mm 1.4tc by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

1:1 crops of the above images

100-400mm vs 100-400mm 1.4tc 100% crop by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

100-400mm enlarged 1.4x in gigapixel left vs 100-400mm with 1.4x TC right

Gigapixel vs 1.4x TC by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

100-400mm enlarged 1.4x in gigapixel left vs 100-400mm with 1.4x TC sharpened with topaz sharpen right

Gigapixel vs 1.4x TC Sharpened by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Screenshots can be downloaded here
Looks great. I’ve got the 1.4x on order to try with the 600mm f/4 GM. I’ll report back when it’s here

I have just decided to head back to this spot next week...

Now do I bring my 70-200 again, for this photo? Perhaps this time I'll leave the tripod at home though.

8IvikTc.jpg

Looks like the 50mm f1.4 GM has hit the shops so hopefully we’ll start seeing lots more image samples.

Not sure how well this will show on here as TP tends to soften images but here goes.

100-400mm left vs 100-400mm with 1.4TC right

100-400mm vs 100-400mm 1.4tc by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

1:1 crops of the above images

100-400mm vs 100-400mm 1.4tc 100% crop by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

100-400mm enlarged 1.4x in gigapixel left vs 100-400mm with 1.4x TC right

Gigapixel vs 1.4x TC by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

100-400mm enlarged 1.4x in gigapixel left vs 100-400mm with 1.4x TC sharpened with topaz sharpen right

Gigapixel vs 1.4x TC Sharpened by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Screenshots can be downloaded here

Looks good - might just spring for this

Well I've just had an amazing massive unexpected surprise, my wife is wanting to buy me a used/grey A1 for my joint Wedding Anniversary and Birthday present, to say I'm shocked is an understatement :eek:

I'm thinking used like new so that I'm guaranteed to have it for my kingfisher experience next week. My question is will I be OK using my 280mb/s read 250mb/s write SD cards? I'm not someone that fills the buffer and therefore am not concerned how quickly it clears. Also, transfer speed to my computer is just fine for me using the SD cards.

Well I've just had an amazing massive unexpected surprise, my wife is wanting to buy me a used/grey A1 for my joint Wedding Anniversary and Birthday present, to say I'm shocked is an understatement :eek:

I'm thinking used like new so that I'm guaranteed to have it for my kingfisher experience next week. My question is will I be OK using my 280mb/s read 250mb/s write SD cards? I'm not someone that fills the buffer and therefore am not concerned how quickly it clears. Also, transfer speed to my computer is just fine for me using the SD cards.
Congrats :)
I kinda briefly entertained the idea of getting this one but I decided against it. may be its of some help to you.

If you ask nicely they may knock off another £50-100 :)

Last edited:
Congrats :)
I kinda entertained this one but I decided against it. may be its of some help to you.

If you ask nicely they may knock off another £50-100 :)
Thanks I saw that one but I'd like as new (y)

fair enough, there is another at LCE for £4.8K with only 9 shutter count and 5 stars rating.
I'd personally take the £400 saving but that's just me :)
I'm fussy like that ;) Panamoz have offered £4680 but can't guarantee delivery by next Tuesday.

I'm fussy like that ;) Panamoz have offered £4680 but can't guarantee delivery by next Tuesday.
I think you might just get it but you'll have to order today itself I think.
They normally reach within 4-5 days.
But I have had 2-3 days delay before.

Up to you and your risk appetite I guess.
Personally I'd try to haggle down the LCE one to £4650-4700. For such an expensive item I imagine they'd entertain a small discount.

Of course you only get 6 months warranty versus the 3 years of panamoz. I normally have insurance anyway so I'm not too fussed about that myself.

Given how much you are going to be spending I'd also suggest you consider Z9+400mm f4.5 especially if you don't mind large bodies.

Last edited:
I think you might just get it but you'll have to order today itself I think.
They normally reach within 4-5 days.
But I have had 2-3 days delay before.

Up to you and your risk appetite I guess.
Personally I'd try to haggle down the LCE one to £4650-4700. For such an expensive item I imagine they'd entertain a small discount.

Of course you only get 6 months warranty versus the 3 years of panamoz. I normally have insurance anyway so I'm not too fussed about that myself.
I do like new, but it is that risk of delay and I think I'd kick myself if I didn't have it for next week. As we know like new used should be indistinguishable from new but seldom is.

Personally I would take the chance of Panamoz getting it to you in time and if not use the A9 which is more than capable for Kingfishers.

You can always pay for another Kingfisher day with the A1 later which would probably be preferable to buying a used camera at a new price.

Personally I would take the chance of Panamoz getting it to you in time and if not use the A9 which is more than capable for Kingfishers.

You can always pay for another Kingfisher day with the A1 later which would probably be preferable to buying a used camera at a new price.
I think the kingfisher will be a one off tbh. It’s not that the A9 II isn’t capable, it clearly is, it’s more the extra resolution will be nice for cropping.

LCE will do a mint one at £4700 delivery by tomorrow vs £4650 now from Panamoz but missed today's shipping so will have to get sent tomorrow, decisions decisions ;)

Edit: My wife has spoken, she’d prefer me to have new (y)

Last edited:
LCE will do a mint one at £4700 delivery by tomorrow vs £4650 now from Panamoz but missed today's shipping so will have to get sent tomorrow, decisions decisions ;)

Must admit I have toyed with the idea of getting one from Panamoz but I'm waiting to see what Nikon do as their long lens selection is better (for me anyway)

Must admit I have toyed with the idea of getting one from Panamoz but I'm waiting to see what Nikon do as their long lens selection is better (for me anyway)
Just updated my post, have ordered on now :banana: I’m happier with the Sony lens lineup on the whole (y)

As we know like new used should be indistinguishable from new but seldom is.
Personally never had a issue with LCE, if it's not as described they'll arrange for a pick up too.
Of course you don't have the time to mess around returning etc.

Just updated my post, have ordered on now :banana: I’m happier with the Sony lens lineup on the whole (y)

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you

Personally never had a issue with LCE, if it's not as described they'll arrange for a pick up too.
Of course you don't have the time to mess around returning etc.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you
I’ve never had an issue with LCE to be fair (y)

I ordered from Panamoz last Friday and delivered this morning with UPS, that’s with tracking showing nothing happening over the weekend

I ordered from Panamoz last Friday and delivered this morning with UPS, that’s with tracking showing nothing happening over the weekend
Wow that's quick (y)

My last shop at Panamoz. Ordered on Thursday. Delivery Was the next Monday
Fingers crossed then, ordered today, shipped tomorrow, hopefully arrive by Tuesday ready for Wednesday's shoot (y)

Will I be OK using my 280mb/s read 250mb/s write SD cards? I'm not someone that fills the buffer and therefore am not concerned how quickly it clears. Also, transfer speed to my computer is just fine for me using the SD cards.
So back to this question, I assume I'm going to be OK with SD cards for my needs? CFexpress are silly expensive :oops: :$

Flog the A9ii for 50GM f1.2…you know you wanna..
Stop it you bad man :LOL:

Always liked the idea of two bodies to save having to swap lenses around all the time (y) I daren't invest in anything else for a while now, very grateful for my latest addition :love:

Always liked the idea of two bodies to save having to swap lenses around all the time (y) I daren't invest in anything else for a while now, very grateful for my latest addition :love:

Says a man who often comments about bag weight :)

Nice one with the A1, its always nice when the other half encourages you in the pursuit of your interests!

Please remember though that Panamoz will probably ship @trevorbray 's orders quickly. New piece of gear in, better get one packaged up and ready for Trevor, we'll be ready then when he clicks the button :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Says a man who often comments about bag weight :)

Nice one with the A1, its always nice when the other half encourages you in the pursuit of your interests!

Please remember though that Panamoz will probably ship @trevorbray 's orders quickly. New piece of gear in, better get one packaged up and ready for Trevor, we'll be ready then when he clicks the button :ROFLMAO:
When I’m doing motorsports I’ve usually got my 100-400mm, 70-200mm, 50mm, filters, lunch and spare batteries, in these situations I just have to bear the weight and know that I’m going to suffer for a few days ;) Normal everyday shooting and travel I usually just have one lens and that’s when weight saving is a priority (y)

When I’m doing motorsports I’ve usually got my 100-400mm, 70-200mm, 50mm, filters, lunch and spare batteries

You've just added a second body to that!! I know what its like, I've run multiple bodies in the past, but last year I decided to really slim my kit down. I don't miss that second body, it was never really used enough to justify keeping it. So now I just have main kit and lightweight kit. When taking the main kit out, I usually reduce the number of lenses (from my huge selection of 4!) in order to further reduce the bag weight.

* bit in bold italics is the important bit - as I suspect that when you get the A1, the majority of your shots will be with the A1 and that the A9ii will barely get a look in. Its different if you are shooting professionally, but once you are used to the resolution increase, you'll want every shot at the higher resolution. My 2p, sell the A9ii and upgrade some glass.

Last edited:
You've just added a second body to that!! I know what its like, I've run multiple bodies in the past, but last year I decided to really slim my kit down. I don't miss that second body, it was never really used enough to justify keeping it. So now I just have main kit and lightweight kit. When taking the main kit out, I usually reduce the number of lenses (from my huge selection of 4!) in order to further reduce the bag weight.

* bit in bold italics is the important bit - as I suspect that when you get the A1, the majority of your shots will be with the A1 and that the A9ii will barely get a look in. Its different if you are shooting professionally, but once you are used to the resolution increase, you'll want every shot at the higher resolution. My 2p, sell the A9ii and upgrade some glass.
You could well be right and I've had similar thoughts as well, but I'm going to wait and see. It is only a handful of times/year that I'd want to run two bodies, time will tell if keeping two will be worth it or not. I'm on the fence, leaning to the side that two bodies will be unjustified but I need to find out for myself ;) Plus I'm not changing anything for a while, I will let the dust settle on the new purchase first :p

The other thing is I'd only get £1500 or so for the A9 II and it's too good to let it go for that price imo.

You could well be right and I've had similar thoughts as well, but I'm going to wait and see. It is only a handful of times/year that I'd want to run two bodies, time will tell if keeping two will be worth it or not. I'm on the fence, leaning to the side that two bodies will be unjustified but I need to find out for myself ;) Plus I'm not changing anything for a while, I will let the dust settle on the new purchase first :p

The other thing is I'd only get £1500 or so for the A9 II and it's too good to let it go for that price imo.

I've not gone out and used two bodies yet ;)

I do need to decide about night stuff though.

Timelapse would be better on the Riii with internal timer and silent shutter. But then that would leave the A7 for my image shooting.....

£1501 here Toby :p

Back