The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The interested party seem to have melted away over the warranty issue.

TBH I was tempted but then I remembered that I sold the F because I chose everything else I have over it and it'd be exactly the same with a VI and it'd just end up taking the F's place in the drawer. It was only gas that got me interested :D

The big plus things for me would be the EVF (I'm not bothered about the OVF but the EVF is a nice one) and the all in one fun and retro style package. Downsides being AF ability and the IMO simply awful MF experience. Nice cameras though.

Personally I rather wait 2-3 months and get a new one for the same price with full warranty.
If I have waited this long to not get one, I can wait another couple months :D

After initially enjoying the F, I thought about a V.... but the used V price wasn't much less than a new Vi. That's where my Vi interest came from :)

I was going to trade the F and CV40/1.2

But there a part of me that wants to use the F until the paint wears off! :)

After initially enjoying the F, I thought about a V.... but the used V price wasn't much less than a new Vi. That's where my Vi interest came from :)

Also for not much more money you can get things like A7c/ii+40mm or Nikon Zf+40mm.
And there's more APS-C options too now like XT50, ZFc, a6700.

So £1.6k for x100vi isn't too attractive to me.

Parrot on shoulder whispers Leica Q/Q2..........................

hi all, here's a shot from last month taken at a local nature reserve, quite a big crop though.
I believe its a marsh harrier, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Attachments

• marsh harrier june 2024.jpg
    marsh harrier june 2024.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 9
Also for not much more money you can get things like A7c/ii+40mm or Nikon Zf+40mm.
And there's more APS-C options too now like XT50, ZFc, a6700.

So £1.6k for x100vi isn't too attractive to me.

The trouble with that lot, for me at least, is another interchangeable lens system..... I don't really want to get into that tbh. Not even for Sony full frame although the A7c/40mm does sound and look nice.

What I like about the X100f is that I don't have any choices, except a hood or not :)

And adding on to Alan's comment previously.... I use the X100f in manual focus for all my street photo stuff and I get on fine with it for that at around f/2.8-4 normally. I do set up for mono with red peaking though.

The trouble with that lot, for me at least, is another interchangeable lens system..... I don't really want to get into that tbh. Not even for Sony full frame although the A7c/40mm does sound and look nice.

What I like about the X100f is that I don't have any choices, except a hood or not :)

And adding on to Alan's comment previously.... I use the X100f in manual focus for all my street photo stuff and I get on fine with it for that at around f/2.8-4 normally. I do set up for mono with red peaking though.
If you mostly use it with MF you can pick to better manual options than the lens in x100 cameras as you will know.

Just because something offers a capability like changing lenses doesn't mean you need to use it, just the same way you use x100 on manual despite it having AF ;)

my A7Cii and Samyang 35/2.8 replaces my X100. Same FOV, fits in the same pockets, better in low light, better AF, etc etc. That was a first gen X100 though. Great camera but with a young son and slow AF it was missing more than hitting.

And then it’s also a different camera when I put other lenses on, big 35-150/2.8 etc

If you mostly use it with MF you can pick to better manual options than the lens in x100 cameras as you will know.

Just because something offers a capability like changing lenses doesn't mean you need to use it, just the same way you use x100 on manual despite it having AF ;)

I use MF for street. Well, zone focus set around 2.5m with obviously the option to quickly adjust if necessary. Anything else is in AF face detect mainly with the OVF. Which limits me to an XPro really for an interchangeable body ;)

my A7Cii and Samyang 35/2.8 replaces my X100. Same FOV, fits in the same pockets, better in low light, better AF, etc etc. That was a first gen X100 though. Great camera but with a young son and slow AF it was missing more than hitting.

And then it’s also a different camera when I put other lenses on, big 35-150/2.8 etc
All very true, but it doesn't look as pretty as an X100 :LOL:

All very true, but it doesn't look as pretty as an X100 :LOL:

> All very true, but it doesn't look as pretty as an X100

Very true! And it’s shallow but it does matter. It’s ok to like nice things :)

I do like the different user experience from the A7Riii/A7 :)

I think I've mentioned it before, but it's more like shooting film on digital.

MF clearly works but as far as I remember it's devoid of all feel. As far as I remember it feels like just spinning a wheel which isn't connected to anything. For me it was the worst MF experience of any camera I've ever used and whilst I can appreciate that others wont care or even notice it was just another gripe to trigger me and added to the list of reasons why I always chose another camera over it. For example the Panasonic GX80 fitted with anything is IMO a more capable and enjoyable camera to use.

Good luck to the people who love the X100 range and I can see the appeal and I do still sort of want one but having tried to love them the gripes for me outweigh the positive of it being a nice retro the camera to use. Fix the gripes of iffy focus and IMO the poor MF experience and I'd probably take another look.

On small Sony lenses, the 40mm f2.5 G seems to have displaced my 35mm f2.8. Reading the reviews I didn't think that the better build, as some said, and better IQ, again as some said, would be enough to sway me but I have to say that they are noticeable. I also have the 24mm f2.8 G and it too seems to be a very nice lens. Distortion seems pretty high but the lens profile seems to sort it all out well enough for me not to notice any downsides.

Last edited:
> All very true, but it doesn't look as pretty as an X100

Very true! And it’s shallow but it does matter. It’s ok to like nice things :)

Yup. Nothing wrong with liking good looking gear which is nice to fondle. Gear fondling can be very nice.

I played with one at the Fuji shop in London the other day and then decided that £1600 on another Sony body and smaller lens is probably a wiser investment.

I do want an A7c but I have issues with them in their current form. If those issues went away I'd probably have one. An A7c to my liking would probably displace one or two of my RF style MFT cameras.

MF clearly works but as far as I remember it's devoid of all feel. As far as I remember it feels like just spinning a wheel which isn't connected to anything. For me it was the worst MF experience of any camera I've ever used and whilst I can appreciate that others wont care or even notice it was just another gripe to trigger me and added to the list of reasons why I always chose another camera over it. For example the Panasonic GX80 fitted with anything is IMO a more capable and enjoyable camera to use.

Good luck to the people who love the X100 range and I can see the appeal and I do still sort of want one but having tried to love them the gripes for me outweigh the positive of it being a nice retro the camera to use. Fix the gripes of iffy focus and IMO the poor MF experience and I'd probably take another look.

On small Sony lenses, the 40mm f2.5 G seems to have displaced my 35mm f2.8. Reading the reviews I didn't think that the better build, as some said, and better IQ, again as some said, would be enough to sway me but I have to say that they are noticeable. I also have the 24mm f2.8 G and it too seems to be a very nice lens. Distortion seems pretty high but the lens profile seems to sort it all out well enough for me not to notice any downsides.

I'll say one thing, it's easier to manual focus the X100f than it is the 35GM :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I know there's an aperture/DOF difference ;)

19 photos in 2 years at 24mm excluding the night sky stuff ;)

Many, many hundreds at 35mm ;)

I shot a lot on the GFX with the GF45mm (35mm ish equivalent) in portrait orientation. Interestingly the Leica is the same angle of field of view in this mode despite the wider lens (as the sensor size is narrower aspect ratio at 3:2 as opposed to 4:3), so in vertical format the Leica cropping top and bottom to 4:3 is the same as the GFX, so I'm still shooting at 35mm (my favourite focal length!). Its the lens and the shooting experience that make the Leica special though.

I loved my X100F though, it was a great camera. many good memories.

Got sent the whole set of VSCO filters a while back so thought would have a look at them to get some different effects.

Where the hell do you start. So many of them it’s going to take an age! Anyone got any favourites?

Got sent the whole set of VSCO filters a while back so thought would have a look at them to get some different effects.

Where the hell do you start. So many of them it’s going to take an age! Anyone got any favourites?

Never used them sorry. That is the trouble though with too many options.

I’ve got them, tried them out for a bit, thought they were cool but then stopped using them as I wanted a profile that works for everything and I didn’t thing the VSCO’s did. The other issue with the VSCO’s is that they’re no longer supported so the camera profiles are missing now. They kind of still work, but how accurate they are to the original films I don’t know.

I generally liked the Fuji superia 100 and 400, Fuji Astia 100F ++, Kodak Porta 160NC and 400NC ++, and the Agfa Scala 200. The Polaroid ones are quite fun.

I recently found some Fuji emulations for Sony which ‘match’ the current Fuji cameras, so you get Acros, Astia, Classic Chrome etc and these are quite nice. Again how accurate they are to the actual Fuji cameras I don’t know, but they look close to me.

I’m still waiting for Lee to sell his preset ;)

Yeah I might try elsewhere. I’m just looking for some nice base filters to play with. I’m not very good in LR currently!

I think you need to be pretty strict. Go through them, click each one & make an instant decision if you like it or not. Any doubt & delete it. Hopefully that might get you down to just a handful....... :)

I’ve got them, tried them out for a bit, thought they were cool but then stopped using them as I wanted a profile that works for everything and I didn’t thing the VSCO’s did. The other issue with the VSCO’s is that they’re no longer supported so the camera profiles are missing now. They kind of still work, but how accurate they are to the original films I don’t know.

I generally liked the Fuji superia 100 and 400, Fuji Astia 100F ++, Kodak Porta 160NC and 400NC ++, and the Agfa Scala 200. The Polaroid ones are quite fun.

I recently found some Fuji emulations for Sony which ‘match’ the current Fuji cameras, so you get Acros, Astia, Classic Chrome etc and these are quite nice. Again how accurate they are to the actual Fuji cameras I don’t know, but they look close to me.

I’m still waiting for Lee to sell his preset ;)

I read about those Fuji for Sony ones before - bit pricey though....

Mine is based on a Portra 400 profile ;) Which is actually what's in the film camera right now :ROFLMAO: I sometimes use an Ektar for landscapes but it can be very high contrast.

Am debating upgrading one of my trusty A9's but can't decide on if I should go the natural upgrade route with the A9III or go for a different type of body in the A1.

I was originally planning on waiting until the end of wedding season and upgrading both of my A9's at the same time and getting 1 x A9III and 1 x A1 but as it the busy season and I have spare work money coming out of my ying yang I am tempted to do one of them now.

A1 appeals because of I.Q but that same advantage also has the draw back of having to work with larger file sizes which because of the amount of images I take is a real pain and one of the reasons I barely use my A7RIV.

I had sort of steered towards the A1 after a Sony rep told me I could shoot in medium raw at 33mpx, but have since found out that's not accurate and medium raw is 21mpx. Sony reps :rolleyes:

A9III's better a.f appeals and also because its the newer model seems in my eyes to provide better value for some reason.

A camera with a 33mpx sensor and the rest of the spec the same as my A9 would have been ideal but unfortunately that doesn't exist.

An evening trip to Redcar. A7III and Sony 40mm f2.5.

The first thing that caught my eye was the light on the grass.

DSC00291.jpg

Dog walkers. The dog was not happy to see me and snarled and barked.

DSC00295.jpg

Looking for a quiet place to use his smartphone.

DSC00305.jpg

Just before sunset.

DSC00312-C.jpg

There seems to be some banding in he sky here which isn't visible in the originals. Oh well.

I wanted to get closer to the windfarm so I drove further down the esplanade. Just as I parked up half of the sun was above the horizon so I hurried out to the shoreline and I was too late, it had set. It's surprising how quickly it happened. I missed it by seconds.

Last edited:
I do want an A7c but I have issues with them in their current form. If those issues went away I'd probably have one. An A7c to my liking would probably displace one or two of my RF style MFT cameras.
Alan do you have the A7iii now?
Edit. Found your post where you discuss it,I saw that your beloved A7 died but you have now resurrected it ( Jesus ), :giggle: .i always thought the only way you would be parted from it would be death,not yours of course ,glad to see you are reunited,interesting muses on the iii which I shall read with interest as you use it more.cheers:beer:

Last edited:
Alan do you have the A7iii now?
Edit. Found your post where you discuss it,I saw that your beloved A7 died but you have now resurrected it ( Jesus ), :giggle: .i always thought the only way you would be parted from it would be death,not yours of course ,glad to see you are reunited,interesting muses on the iii which I shall read with interest as you use it more.cheers:beer:

Yup. A7 now convalescing whilst I try and get used to the III.

Initial thoughts are good and need getting used to. It's bulkier in hand which will take some getting used to and one of my most used controls, the AF/MF/AER switch and button, is gone but I gain a joystick, IS, electronic shutter and what seems to be visibly better higher ISO performance. Also it may be my imagination but this camera seems to get exposure and WB a bit more right in camera than the A7. Oh and one thing I'm looking out for are the sensor reflections which were common with the A7 when there are light sources in the frame, haven't seen any with the III.

My plan is to keep them both and possibly take the two out at a time with different lenses, maybe 40mm f2,5 on one and 24mm f2.8 or possible a f1.2/f1.4 MF lens on the other. For example the sunstar in the No.3 Redcar seaside picture above is poor and would have been more defined had I had a Voigtlander with me on a camera and ready to use.

Back