The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The old Sigma 85 1.4 combined with the D700 was absolutely amazing to be fair.

The new DG DN definitely has different colours, also, LR vignette corrections are awful and you need to manually reduce the strength abit I find.
It did produce lovely images but it suffered quite badly from field curvature from my experience.

£29.99?????? That's pretty steep imo :oops: :$
I'd have to agree on first glance

Is there a way to provide 7/14 days free trial?
I definitely try it out. I thought the topaz stuff was overpriced till I trialled it and it was revelation.

So if there is a trial and I like it, I'd buy it. But paying £30 upfront to try is a bit steep for me too.
Anything over £4.99 in the App Store I just skip past :LOL:

Topaz is a revelation as you say, but still overpriced, but then I think pretty much everything photography related is overpriced these days ;)

I think it's poor that Sony don't offer these features meaning some folk need apps like this, clearly the cameras are capable of it, it's just a matter of making the software.

I don't focus stack so it's not something I'd buy anyway, but I'd want to know that it's future proof i.e. it's not going to stop working if a camera has a firmware update.

EDIT: the demo on YouTube isn't great, doesn't show how the final image is achieved.
I bought photopills for £10 and I think that was a steal for all the tools it provides.
Having used it I think i would even pay £30 for it!

I think it will work in future too, shouldn't be a problem. if I am not mistake Sony themselves provide a SDK for to develop such apps.
but might make sense for the app deception to clarify this so people are clear on what to expect.

Those are excellent questions.

Focus stacking often gets pigeonholed as a niche tool for time-consuming macro photography. However, it’s a versatile technique with applications in various genres, from creating stunning 3D models through photogrammetry to enhancing landscape sharpness.

Traditionally, photographers relied on hardware-based solutions like the Sony RMT-P1BT or its clones. This method was expensive, slow, and produced inconsistent results. While there are open-source alternatives like Freemote and Alpha-Fairy, they come with limitations. WiFi apps, while convenient, often struggle with connectivity and battery life, making them impractical for field use.

Even high-end Sony cameras have limitations when it comes to in-camera focus stacking. As long as Sony maintains support for existing compatible hardware, the app will continue to function. The app is designed to be future-proof and to work on future models.

Regarding the cost, I understand it's a significant investment. Many professionals have found the app to be a valuable tool. However, the best way to determine if it's right for you is to try it out.

To avoid the risk of purchasing a potentially unsuitable app, consider taking advantage of app store refund policies. This allows you to try the app and decide if it meets your needs. While free apps may seem attractive, they often rely on subscriptions or in-app purchases and can have less transparent review systems.

I want to emphasize that I'm not affiliated with the forum and my intention in this post is to share information about a new tool for Sony photographers.

Focus stacking often gets pigeonholed as a niche tool for time-consuming macro photography. However, it’s a versatile technique with applications in various genres, from creating stunning 3D models through photogrammetry to enhancing landscape sharpness.

Traditionally, photographers relied on hardware-based solutions like the Sony RMT-P1BT or its clones. This method was expensive, slow, and produced inconsistent results. While there are open-source alternatives like Freemote and Alpha-Fairy, they come with limitations. WiFi apps, while convenient, often struggle with connectivity and battery life, making them impractical for field use.

Even high-end Sony cameras have limitations when it comes to in-camera focus stacking. As long as Sony maintains support for existing compatible hardware, the app will continue to function. The app is designed to be future-proof and to work on future models.

Regarding the cost, I understand it's a significant investment. Many professionals have found the app to be a valuable tool. However, the best way to determine if it's right for you is to try it out.

To avoid the risk of purchasing a potentially unsuitable app, consider taking advantage of app store refund policies. This allows you to try the app and decide if it meets your needs. While free apps may seem attractive, they often rely on subscriptions or in-app purchases and can have less transparent review systems.

I want to emphasize that I'm not affiliated with the forum and my intention in this post is to share information about a new tool for Sony photographers.
Most truly free apps have their issues also in that you get ads rammed down your throat constantly. I don't mind paying for apps, but I have my cut off point. I'm sure to some it will be worth purchasing, good luck with it.

You seem to be pushing thon app pretty hard their bro.

Pretty sure you have to pay the admin on here if you want to advertise products that you sell.

There has been some communication. Leonardo is very welcome to become an active part of the forum as an ordinary member if he prefers, and not to actively advertise.

Last edited:
You seem to be pushing thon app pretty hard their bro.

Pretty sure you have to pay the admin on here if you want to advertise products that you sell.

There has been some communication. Leonardo is very welcome to become an active part of the forum as an ordinary member if he prefers not to actively advertise.

Thank you @ancient_mariner for the clarifications to @f/2.8

@f/2.8 I'm not actively advertising anything. After an informative post, I'm replying to user questions in a fair way, mentioning available options and suggesting how to find themselves if it's a fit or not without any risk. No new threads will be created on this topic, but people deserve answers if they have a question.

Thank you @ancient_mariner for the clarifications to @f/2.8

@f/2.8 I'm not actively advertising anything. After an informative post, I'm replying to user questions in a fair way, mentioning available options and suggesting how to find themselves if it's a fit or not without any risk. No new threads will be created on this topic, but people deserve answers if they have a question.
It deffo seems like you are advertising to me and the unsolicited private message you also sent me seems to confirm that.

I have no problem with hustling but don’t send me any more messages about your “product” thanks.

Since it’s okay to just mention your product and that’s not advertising. I will fire up a link to my onlyfans later on. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
@f/2.8 I sent you a PM to clarify that I'm in touch with the moderation team. Anyway the moderator already clarified everything.

It deffo seems like you are advertising to me and the unsolicited private message you also sent me seems to confirm that.

I have no problem with hustling but don’t send me any more messages about your “product” thanks.

Since it’s okay to just mention your product and that’s not advertising. I will fire up a link to my onlyfans later on. :ROFLMAO:
Nobody wants to see you in soiled y fronts

I have decided to trade in my 200-600mm for sigma 500mm f5.6 DN. Its was good owning the 200-600mm, I will miss it, had it for 6 years, longest any lens has survived in my possession.
I was holding out for the 300GM but in the end I have to remortgage in September and given the latest interest rate most monies goes to that.

I have decided to trade in my 200-600mm for sigma 500mm f5.6 DN. Its was good owning the 200-600mm, I will miss it, had it for 6 years, longest any lens has survived in my possession.
I was holding out for the 300GM but in the end I have to remortgage in September and given the latest interest rate most monies goes to that.
Are you selling up so you can afford thon app? :ROFLMAO:

FYI All on this thread: I have deleted references to the name of Leonardo's app, in order to limit the unpaid advertising element. I have engaged with Leonardo by PM and he assures me that he had not intended to overstep the mark, I've accepted his apology and he says he just wants to engage in the discussions etc on the site. So after that little bit of sorting out, let's give him the benefit of the doubt henceforth. If anyone wants to know more about his app, they can ask him by PM, but if anyone receives from now on an unsolicited promotional PM please let me know by PM or Contact Us. We are monitoring this, but hoping we have resolved the misunderstanding/presumptions.

Bit of a duplicate post but looking for Sony specific opinions on this:
Background: looking for my first mirrorless set up. I used to have a Nikon D300 DSLR MANY years ago and never really got out of auto. Enjoying taking photos on my iPhone so much I want to get into photography more. This time around I'm planning to do a short course at my local uni (NTU) to actually get me of the Auto settings. Mainly interested in stills / architectural / built environment (I'm a Chartered Surveyor) and also looking to explore street photography in addition to just some general use portraits / cars / motorbikes etc.

I went to my local branch of London Camera Exchange today. They didn't have the two retro Nikons (I originally liked the look of the Zfc and the Zf) but I got chance to have a look at a Sony option. The staff were very friendly and knowledgable. I am 90% sure I want to go full frame as I am most interested in architectural photography and would like to be able to make the most of the larger field of view this gives over the APSC sensor. Apologies if some of that terminology was wrong, I am 100% a beginner!

I was really impressed with the Sony A7iii I was shown although I don't think I'd appreciated how much decent lenses cost(!) and as such I am questioning buying a £2k+ camera body as I would like a couple of lenses to get me started. I also found the controls relatively intuitive, so I'm really not sure my reasoning for the retros were so justified. LCE have a deal currently on the Sony of the body for £1299 (+ £300 cash back from Sony), making it £999 for the body. A kit with a Sony 24-70mm lens for, I think, £200 more or a kit with a Sony 24-105mm F/4 lens for £2099 with an additional £500 cash back from Sony. The salesman considers the 24-105 lens to be vastly superior to the 24-70mm kit, is the 24-105 any good in the grand scheme of things or am I better buying the body and another lens separately? He did have a 24-105 used for £579 which gave me a bit of confidence it is likely a decent lens (as it wasn't pennies used, no other frame of reference). He also showed me a Sigma wide angle 16-28mm F/2.8 lens for £749 as a recommended wide angle option.

I've been using an A7III for a few years now, with the 24-105, and it's a good lens by earlier Nikon standards. The original Sony 24-70 was especially poor in the early versions, but seems less bad now, though probably still not up to the other lens.

Re manual control, many of us use semi-auto i.e. aperture priority or shutter priority much of the time, only going manual when we need to occasionally take over completely. Mirrorless has the advantage of showing you on screen or viewfinder what the exposure is actually like, which also helps take away the guesswork.

I've just bought an a7III :D

It cost £1,299 but I get cashback after a month (I think) which brings it down to £999 and then you've got the cost of the lenses. Same as you :D

Just on sensor sizes.
The APS-C sensor is physically smaller than the FF sensor and we call this a "crop factor" and it does affect your field of view but you can get the same field from an APS-C camera as you get from a full frame camera if you select the appropriate lens.

For example. The crop factor for APS-C is x1.5 so a 35mm lens on APS-C gives you about the same field of view as a 50mm lens on full frame. The crop factor can also affect depth of field as if you are using a wider angle lens on APS-C (for example 35mm to give you a full frame like 50mm field of view) the physical aperture you select will be smaller at each aperture setting. For example with e 50mm lens set to f10 the physical aperture is 5mm but a 35mm lens at f10 has a 3.5mm aperture and this affects depth of field. You can however use APS-C at wider apertures to compensate for this when going for limited depth. So, to match the 5mm aperture of a 50mm lens at f10 on a full frame camera you'd set your 35mm lens on APS-C to f7 or whatever you can select around that value.

APS-C is a valid choice but generally full frame is thought to give better image quality if you go looking for the differences,

I prefer primes to zooms.

I was really impressed with the Sony A7iii I was shown although I don't think I'd appreciated how much decent lenses cost(!) and as such I am questioning buying a £2k+ camera body as I would like a couple of lenses to get me started. I also found the controls relatively intuitive, so I'm really not sure my reasoning for the retros were so justified. LCE have a deal currently on the Sony of the body for £1299 (+ £300 cash back from Sony), making it £999 for the body. A kit with a Sony 24-70mm lens for, I think, £200 more or a kit with a Sony 24-105mm F/4 lens for £2099 with an additional £500 cash back from Sony. The salesman considers the 24-105 lens to be vastly superior to the 24-70mm kit, is the 24-105 any good in the grand scheme of things or am I better buying the body and another lens separately? He did have a 24-105 used for £579 which gave me a bit of confidence it is likely a decent lens (as it wasn't pennies used, no other frame of reference). He also showed me a Sigma wide angle 16-28mm F/2.8 lens for £749 as a recommended wide angle option.

Is this right?

With the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens maybe but a 24-70mm? If true that sounds like a good deal.

Is this right?

With the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens maybe but a 24-70mm? If true that sounds like a good deal.

Alan

these are the current deals - at all Sony retailers

Alan

these are the current deals - at all Sony retailers

Without wading through all those pages... 24-70 or 28-70mm? The 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 is the old kit lens, the 24-70mm is a different beast. I have the 28-70mm and I actually prefer it to the new 28-60mm I also have but maybe copy variation is at play here.

Just looking to be sure what we're talking about here as an A7III + 24-70mm for £200 more than just the camera seems to be a good deal so I thought it may be a typo and the lens in question could be the 28-70mm variable aperture lens.

Without wading through all those pages... 24-70 or 28-70mm? The 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 is the old kit lens, the 24-70mm is a different beast. I have the 28-70mm and I actually prefer it to the new 28-60mm I also have but maybe copy variation is at play here.

Just looking to be sure what we're talking about here as an A7III + 24-70mm for £200 more than just the camera seems to be a good deal so I thought it may be a typo and the lens in question could be the 28-70mm variable aperture lens.
Alan, I linked to one page with just the A7III deals on it :)

Yes, it was a typo, the deal includes the FE 28-70mm Lens, not a 24-70mm lens. The other deal includes a 24-105mm Lens.

Yes, it was a typo, the deal includes the FE 28-70mm Lens, not a 24-70mm lens. The other deal includes a 24-105mm Lens.

The other thing you should know is that the 28-70 is quite small and light, while the 24-105 is much larger and heavier. It will never be stealth kit.

If you need a mid range zoom option both the older Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the newer version plus the Sigma 24-70 are better options than these.

@ancient_mariner I did try the camera with the 24-105; it was a bit of a beast tbf!

@f/2.8 I'm open to buying the body with a different lens, appreciate the kits are the best value. The guy in the shop didn't seem to rate the 28-70 very highly.

I followed you link and got 4 pages. But it doesn't matter as I'm not buying the kit. I assume from the prices that it's the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 which is coming in the kit at that price. Not a 24-70mm.
Same - I also get 4 pages from the link. I then filtered on just the A7III and yes you are correct its 28-70mm as you thought (and not 24-70mm)

Just to add to Nichola's list of wants and possibly add to the cost too :D

Processing software...

I use Adobe CS2024 which I think is something like £8 a month but don't quote me. Just wondered if Nichola has thought about processing at all and if not could anyone recommend anything... Then there's memory cards, bags and cleaning kit :D

@woof woof the costs are definitely piling up!

I have already considered processing software and have an Adobe Photoshop / Lightroom subscription which I have started playing around with.

Had a go at my first ever street photography style photo today when the opportunity of this guy watching a busker presented itself and tried to introduce a soft lens blur style effect in photoshop:
With the 'lens blur' effect:

Back