The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ah, but will you buy it?

I have the Sony 85mm f1.8 but I haven't used it for a long time and in total I haven't taken all that many pictures with it but I have taken some I really like and one is printed and framed. I sometimes think my old Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM was the best 85mm I've had. I think it was softer than the Sony f1.8 and perhaps that's why the bokeh looks nice too,

The new Sony 85mm f1.4 will not be on my radar but I can see the appeal and I'm sure it'll be lovely. A bit too long for me though but I do keep thinking I should take my 85mm f1.8 out just for the different look.

Ah, but will you buy it?

I have the Sony 85mm f1.8 but I haven't used it for a long time and in total I haven't taken all that many pictures with it but I have taken some I really like and one is printed and framed. I sometimes think my old Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM was the best 85mm I've had. I think it was softer than the Sony f1.8 and perhaps that's why the bokeh looks nice too,

The new Sony 85mm f1.4 will not be on my radar but I can see the appeal and I'm sure it'll be lovely. A bit too long for me though but I do keep thinking I should take my 85mm f1.8 out just for the different look.
Doubt it, I hardly use my Sigma 85mm DG DN as I prefer to use 50mm for portraits these days.

Am debating upgrading one of my trusty A9's but can't decide on if I should go the natural upgrade route with the A9III or go for a different type of body in the A1...

Have you decided yet?

Yeah, have went ahead and ordered an A9III. Will still get an A1 but will leave it till later in the year.

When you get time you could post what swayed your opinion, just for those of us not in this market and not likely to be :D

Just while I'm here, two last ones from yesterday. A7III and Sony 40mm f2.5.

Light from the setting sun catching the top of the grass and some of the woodwork.

DSC00293.JPG

Pebbles and fossils. This beach is known for its fossilised Devils Toenails. There are at least two in this picture. Can you see them?

DSC00300.JPG

Last edited:
When you get time you could post what swayed your opinion, just for those of us not in this market and not likely to be :D

In all honesty either would have been a good choice but it came down to just wanting the very latest a.f system. The pre capture also sounded like it may be useful in certain situations.

Anyone here using the Sigma 28-45 ? Just trying to get real users thoughts on it, since every single YouTube video is a paid shill effectively lol

Ah, but will you buy it?

I hope they bring it out, waiting to replace my Sigma 85 which is on its last legs.

We went to a car meet Saturday & today. I took a few images on the Fuji & also on the film camera with Portra 400..... At some point I might see just how close the LR Portra is to actual Portra :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Is that the VSCO or do Adobe have their own Portra?

Anyone here using the Sigma 28-45 ? Just trying to get real users thoughts on it, since every single YouTube video is a paid shill effectively lol
Nobody bought it as they didn’t want to have to buy the golf cart needed to cart thon around.

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce the launch of my new photography app, [deleted by Admin]

Thanks,
Leonardo

Note: To be compliant with forum rules, please send me a PM or do a Google search to easily find the app name, if interested.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce the launch of my new photography app, [deleted by Admin].

Thanks,
Leonardo

Hi Leonardo and welcome to the forum.

Are you giving the app away as free-ware? If you're promoting a paid app then you should talk to the forum owners first about promotion of your software (BTW that's just good manners on a private forum). @sirch @lindsay .

It sounds potentially very interesting - does the app run on the camera itself, and will it work with lenses that use Sony A mount adapters (i.e. I use a Tamron macro lens with an LA-EA4 on my A7III).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Leonardo and welcome to the forum.

Are you giving the app away as free-ware? If you're promoting a paid app then you should talk to the forum owners first about promotion of your software (BTW that's just good manners on a private forum). @sirch @lindsay .

It sounds potentially very interesting - does the app run on the camera itself, and will it work with lenses that use Sony A mount adapters (i.e. I use a Tamron macro lens with an LA-EA4 on my A7III).

Hi Ancient,

The app is designed for smartphones (iOS and Android) and requires a one-time purchase.
It's compatible with autofocus lenses. If you're considering using a mount adapter, we offer a money-back guarantee to ensure you're satisfied.

Thank you for the heads up about forum promotion guidelines. I'll reach out to the owner shortly.

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce the launch of my new photography app, [deleted by Admin].

Thanks,
Leonardo

I very rarely focus stack, but what's the score regrading RAW & jpeg? I think that's the important thing potential users will be interested in.

I very rarely focus stack, but what's the score regrading RAW & jpeg? I think that's the important thing potential users will be interested in.

Hi Lee,

The app provides Bluetooth remote control for Sony cameras, offering full camera functionality including RAW and JPEG image formats. It excels at automating shutter and focus movements, delivering advanced focus bracketing surpassing even flagship in-camera options. Additional features include full support for external flash, pixel shift, and viewfinder. For creative possibilities, can combine focus bracketing with timelapse to create all-focused videos, ideal for subjects like mushrooms.

Hi Lee,

The app provides Bluetooth remote control for Sony cameras, offering full camera functionality including RAW and JPEG image formats. It excels at automating shutter and focus movements, delivering advanced focus bracketing surpassing even flagship in-camera options. Additional features include full support for external flash, pixel shift, and viewfinder. For creative possibilities, can combine focus bracketing with timelapse to create all-focused videos, ideal for subjects like mushrooms.

Hmmm. Quite remarkable... but I bet it can't put a fruit pastille in its mouth without chewing it.

Seriously. Good luck with it.

Hmmm. Quite remarkable... but I bet it can't put a fruit pastille in its mouth without chewing it.

Seriously. Good luck with it.

I understand your skepticism. To address your concerns, I can assure you that our app has undergone rigorous testing and approval by two major app stores. It was developed in close collaboration with numerous professional photographers to ensure it meets their specific needs. Refund processes are handled entirely by the app stores, guaranteeing a secure transaction. For a better understanding of the app's functionalities, we invite you to watch our tutorial video and read the user manual available online. We're confident that these resources will dispel any doubts you may have.

To clarify, 'Additional features include full support for external flash, pixel shift, and viewfinder' means that in-camera functions typically unavailable during focus bracketing can be utilized with our app. For instance, if your camera lacks pixel shift, this feature won't be accessible. However, if your camera supports pixel shift, you can enable it within the app's focus bracketing mode by adjusting the shot delay accordingly.

Last edited:
I understand your skepticism. To address your concerns, I can assure you that our app has undergone rigorous testing and approval by two major app stores. It was developed in close collaboration with numerous professional photographers to ensure it meets their specific needs. Refund processes are handled entirely by the app stores, guaranteeing a secure transaction. For a better understanding of the app's functionalities, we invite you to watch our tutorial video and read the user manual available online. We're confident that these resources will dispel any doubts you may have.

It's not scepticism. I'm just a bit of a technophobe. Sorry for the joke :D Ignore me :D The "good luck" was entirely genuine :D

Hi Lee,

So does it give you a focus stacked RAW? Or a focus stacked jpeg?

Or does it just shoot the separate frames to stack yourself? How does it know where I want to focus? How does it know what shutter speed I want?

On the odd occasion I'll focus stack, it will be at different distances depending on the scene and often the shots will be at different shutter speeds for exposure differences/blending.

Just questions some interested people might ask.

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce the launch of my new photography app, [deleted by Admin]

Thanks,
Leonardo
£29.99?????? That's pretty steep imo :oops: :$

Ah, but will you buy it?

I will probably get the new one when it hits. Although I don't use an 85mm any more my missus does, so will probably get it for her,

That old Siggy 85mm was a cracker prob my favourite 85mm, they used to call it the cream machine and with good reason, colours were fantastic from that lens as well although that was helped with the awesome colours from the D700 I used it with.

I used to have the 85GM and we now have the new Sigma and I don't know if it's because my editing style has changed or having had the G,M for so long but while the Sigma has faster a.f I am having issues editing files taken with it, colours seem really out of whack with my other lenses.

It is a pity the new G,M isn't f/1.2 as that may have tempted me back to using it myself.

Last edited:
£29.99?????? That's pretty steep imo :oops: :$

I'd have to agree on first glance

Is there a way to provide 7/14 days free trial?
I definitely try it out. I thought the topaz stuff was overpriced till I trialled it and it was revelation.

So if there is a trial and I like it, I'd buy it. But paying £30 upfront to try is a bit steep for me too.

I will probably get the new one when it hits. Although I don't use an 85mm any more my missus does, so will probably get it for her,

That old Siggy 85mm was a cracker prob my favourite 85mm, they used to call it the cream machine and with good reason, colours were fantastic from that lens as well although that was helped with the awesome colours from the D700 I used it with.

I used to have the 85GM and we now have the new Sigma and I don't know if it's because my editing style has changed or having had the G,M for so long but while the Sigma has faster a.f I am having issues editing files taken with it, colours seem really out of whack with my other lenses.

It is a pity the new G,M isn't f/1.2 as that may have tempted me back to using it myself.

Three sigma lenses got me to move from my Canon 20D to the 5D. The 50 and 85mm f1.4's and the 12-24mm. I suppose the Sigma 20mm f1.8 deserves a mention too.

I'd have to agree on first glance

Is there a way to provide 7/14 days free trial?
I definitely try it out. I thought the topaz stuff was overpriced till I trialled it and it was revelation.

So if there is a trial and I like it, I'd buy it. But paying £30 upfront to try is a bit steep for me too.
Anything over £4.99 in the App Store I just skip past :LOL:

Topaz is a revelation as you say, but still overpriced, but then I think pretty much everything photography related is overpriced these days ;)

I think it's poor that Sony don't offer these features meaning some folk need apps like this, clearly the cameras are capable of it, it's just a matter of making the software.

I don't focus stack so it's not something I'd buy anyway, but I'd want to know that it's future proof i.e. it's not going to stop working if a camera has a firmware update.

EDIT: the demo on YouTube isn't great, doesn't show how the final image is achieved.

Last edited:
Anything over £4.99 in the App Store I just skip past :LOL:

Topaz is a revelation as you say, but still overpriced, but then I think pretty much everything photography related is overpriced these days ;)

I think it's poor that Sony don't offer these features meaning some folk need apps like this, clearly the cameras are capable of it, it's just a matter of making the software.

I don't focus stack so it's not something I'd buy anyway, but I'd want to know that it's future proof i.e. it's not going to stop working if a camera has a firmware update.

EDIT: the demo on YouTube isn't great, doesn't show how the final image is achieved.

I bought photopills for £10 and I think that was a steal for all the tools it provides.
Having used it I think i would even pay £30 for it!

I think it will work in future too, shouldn't be a problem. if I am not mistake Sony themselves provide a SDK for to develop such apps.
but might make sense for the app deception to clarify this so people are clear on what to expect.

The old Sigma 85 1.4 combined with the D700 was absolutely amazing to be fair.

The new DG DN definitely has different colours, also, LR vignette corrections are awful and you need to manually reduce the strength abit I find.

Back