The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

In good light MFT is very impressive for sensor size in my opinion and is far from rubbish. However, I'd like to see the output from the OM mk2 after being in your hands Toby at track day.

Last edited:
The colours are slightly different from year to year but from memory the Sony ones. Overall the m4/3 needed much more doing in post and I probably overdid it in places.

I might dig the raw file out again one day and see if I can get it to look better.
The whites on m43 look a bit blown, or may be it was just a sunnier day

I thought that, plus the focus isn't as good.
How dare you :mad: :ROFLMAO:

Joking aside, focus was fine, details are as sharp imo, at least they are on the original (y)

The whites on m43 look a bit blown, or may be it was just a sunnier day
I don't recall anything blown, but I'm definitely going to have to dig the raw out now ;)

In good light MFT is very impressive for sensor size in my opinion and is far from rubbish. However, I'd like to see the output from the OM mk2 after being in your hands Toby at track day.
I'll dig some out at some point over the weekend, I'm just about to set off to Silverstone for the MotoGP :cool:

How dare you :mad: :ROFLMAO:

Joking aside, focus was fine, details are as sharp imo, at least they are on the original
I'm not saying it is, but that's how I'd describe the look, which isn't as crisp as the Sony and nor should it be with the price difference.

The colours are slightly different from year to year but from memory the Sony ones. Overall the m4/3 needed much more doing in post and I probably overdid it in places.

I might dig the raw file out again one day and see if I can get it to look better.
To be honest I never thought of them being from different years just assumed they were from the same race.

Marske By Sea. Light was pretty poor and I couldn't get the picture I wanted as there were family groups all around and they'd come prepared with plastic tables and chairs and/or windbreakers. Several had fires going. I've never ever seen this before here.

A7III and Sony 40mm.

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Sparrowhawk this afternoon. Sony A7cr. Sony 70-350.
Sparrowhawk by Andy Williams, on Flickr
I am still ploughing my way through the RIAT photos. Here are some. Sony A7CR. Sony 70-350

RIAT 2024 by Andy Williams, on Flickr
Looks like you are really getting along well with 70-350mm.
Making me want to re-buy it :D

Looks like you are really getting along well with 70-350mm.
Making me want to re-buy it :D
Yes, I love it. I also took along my Tamron 150-500 which is very sharp, and has very fast AF, but I found the lightness, and ease of handling (thus steady shots) of the 70-350 gave me better shots. Obviously combined with the A7CR that I love so much. Same to be said with bird photo's, of which the Sparrowhawk that came into the garden yesterday, is a good example.

Would be very interested indeed if it had been an f/2.8 like the Fuji version is.

Yup but I suppose a wider aperture would have meant a larger size or impacted quality and if we apply the crop factor f2.8 on APS-C arguably isn't a massive advantage over this lens on FF. As a day out lens it could be very interesting and with todays better high ISO performance and noise reduction software even some low light and indoor photography might get good enough results and of course there are people happily using zooms starting at f4.

Maybe this lens will make the most sense on the A7c line for those who want as compact a set up as they can get.

Just a little thing about the A7III. The boat picture above was taken with the electronic shutter at 1/40. This is way too slow for a picture with anything which moves but ok for static pictures. I could rarely get away with 1/40 with my A7.

Yup but I suppose a wider aperture would have meant a larger size or impacted quality and if we apply the crop factor f2.8 on APS-C arguably isn't a massive advantage over this lens on FF. As a day out lens it could be very interesting and with todays better high ISO performance and noise reduction software even some low light and indoor photography might get good enough results and of course there are people happily using zooms starting at f4.

Maybe this lens will make the most sense on the A7c line for those who want as compact a set up as they can get.
Yes, I was forgetting the Fuji is for APS-C sensors *embarrassed emoji*

Last edited:
Here's a link to some of my MotoGP photos, pic for attention ;)

11 A1_07750-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

View attachment 430337

New toy just arrived!

Full on panic attack as was delivered to next door neighbor who denied all knowledge till Police were mentioned.

doesn't sound like a great neighbour. if there was some law against harassment, I'd still tell the police.

Envious of your new toy, look forward to what you think.

doesn't sound like a great neighbour. if there was some law against harassment, I'd still tell the police.

Envious of your new toy, look forward to what you think.

Am already 5k photos in very easy to do with this body. :ROFLMAO:

It’s the most comfortable Sony I have had in terms of ergonomics. Has a much deeper grip. New screen is a big improvement as well. A.F is incredible. I thought the A.F on my A7CII was amazing but this seems even stickier.

This guy talks about running out of shutter speed at 15:30 but he's wrong in only stating f1.4 as the issue.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iq3Mn85LNk&t=977s

This is one of the things that put me off the A7c series and annoys me with the A7 series too. My MFT cameras just do not have this issue even though their mechanical shutter speed is 1/4,000 as they automatically and seamlessly switch to the electronic shutter when a fast shutter speed is needed.

Why Sony don't implement this I just don't know. Would it be that much hassle to make the switch to the electronic shutter a selectable automatic function? With MFT I get three options, mechanical shutter, electronic shutter and Auto. Wonderful.

For something to do I went to Staithes this evening. I mostly took pictures to stitch.

A7III and Sony 40mm f2.5.

Down the slope.

Staithes-6-8-24-6.jpg

From the path.

Staithes-6-8-2024-5.jpg

Just the boats, and someone swimming. What do you think? Paint her out or leave her in? At the mo I have both versions.

Staithes-6-8-2024-6.jpg

Single pictures.

Time to head back.

DSC00401.JPG

Boats.

DSC00395.JPG

And again.

DSC00386.jpg

Just the usual view, not long until sunset plus a duck heading home.

DSC00396.JPG

And then I went home.

Last edited:
Just out of interest...

My most used camera bag is a man bag I bought from a floating market in Thailand seven years ago. I cost £10 but I think it should have been less as I paid £10 for a larger bag and then asked if I could swap it for a smaller one and the guy said yes, same price. £8 would have been fairer but I didn't haggle :D One of the zips is a bit iffy so I fancy a new one. Mrs WW is still in Thailand and priced one up for me at less than £3 :D I hope it lasts another 7 years :D

Last edited:
Back