The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So I’ve done a few quick tests of the “new” Nikkor, and it’s impressing me so far. However what’s really impressive is how good the IBIS is in the A7Cii - this is a crop from a quick snapshot of the cat next door at 1/80th handheld - and seem to get a decent keeper rate at that though faster is obviously much better.

View attachment 430691

How big a crop is that? Eyes look out of focus.

You should be able to go to much lower shutter speeds than 1/80.

Yeah not great. It's definitely going to go in for repair, just a matter of when can get it in that's convenient. Not having the wi-fi working is not an issue as I don't use it really, obviously when it decides it doesn't want to turn on is a big issue and I am worried that sooner or later it won't ever come back on again. The mushy button is also pretty annoying.

Seems to be a lot of people having problems with the A1 wifi and bluetooth not heard of anyone having bother with it not turning on or mushy buttons though. Honestly I would be furious if that was my body. You haven't really had it that long either.

Yeah slightly OOF but thats actually above a 1:1 crop (just realised I resized it up to 1024 for upload from ~800). It was a quick focus just using the peaking

I have had it lower than 1/80th but this is on a 300mm lens. That cat is a fair distance.

Last edited:
So I’ve done a few quick tests of the “new” Nikkor, and it’s impressing me so far. However what’s really impressive is how good the IBIS is in the A7Cii - this is a crop from a quick snapshot of the cat next door at 1/80th handheld - and seem to get a decent keeper rate at that though faster is obviously much better.

View attachment 430691
As above that looks quite soft, possibly the upload?

As above 1/80 isn’t an issue, even for a 300mm lens, your issue is that the movement of the cat. Take a static subject and you’ll be able to drop your shutter speed lower (y)

Yeah, it’s nicer at 100% on the screen in front of me. I really need to sort out my flickr account properly again.

I’ll do some proper tests against a static target and see how I get on. I’ve not had a camera with IBIS since an early Olympus m4/3, it’s come on a fair bit!

Seems to be a lot of people having problems with the A1 wifi and bluetooth not heard of anyone having bother with it not turning on or mushy buttons though. Honestly I would be furious if that was my body. You haven't really had it that long either.
March 2023 I got it. I can’t say I’m furious, faults can happen with anything, just a bit of bad luck. Obviously it’s disappointing and inconvenient.

I don’t think mine is the same issue as others have had as with those issues they get a warning message on the camera saying it’s faulty (I believe it’s a motherboard issue) and I’ve not had that. One thing that I have thought about whilst at work this morning is that most, if not all the times I’ve had the issue it’s had the 35mm GM attached to it. I’m going to try the wi-fi again later with a different lens on to see if that makes a difference for some reason.

Yeah, it’s nicer at 100% on the screen in front of me. I really need to sort out my flickr account properly again.

I’ll do some proper tests against a static target and see how I get on. I’ve not had a camera with IBIS since an early Olympus m4/3, it’s come on a fair bit!
Obviously it will depend how steady your hands are but I believe the A7C II has 7 stops of image stabilisation. Using the 1/focal length rule for camera shake, with no IBIS you should be able to hold a 300mm lens steady at 1/300, 7 stops better than that is roughly 1/2.5s (y)

Grab shot from the top deck of a moving bus, using the 16-300mm Tamron on an A65. About 1/4th of the original image...

Standing man talking to seated woman Cheeke St Exeter A65 DSC00643.JPG

I've 'complained' about this for quite some time, sometimes my shots look quite soft, to the point I've been a bit embarrassed by it and put a note on to view on Flickr due to the softness on here. I always host from Flickr and I've tried all sorts of things to try and get to the bottom of it. I've tried exporting from LR in different resolutions, posting here in different resolutions, exported from LR with different screen sharpening settings and it still seems hit and miss :(

Usually, unless there's something massively wrong, I just assume that people are posting sharp pictures and anything that doesn't look sharp is just because of the posting process, It's never really spoilt my enjoyment of other people pictures but I am a bit disappointed when mine do look especially poor. It's not the end of the world, worse things happen at sea and all but it doesn't help when people are talking about sharpness and resolution, we just have to take peoples word for it :D

Usually, unless there's something massively wrong, I just assume that people are posting sharp pictures...
As my most recent picture posted in this thread shows, you can't rely on that in my case. ;)

March 2023 I got it. I can’t say I’m furious, faults can happen with anything, just a bit of bad luck. Obviously it’s disappointing and inconvenient.

I don’t think mine is the same issue as others have had as with those issues they get a warning message on the camera saying it’s faulty (I believe it’s a motherboard issue) and I’ve not had that. One thing that I have thought about whilst at work this morning is that most, if not all the times I’ve had the issue it’s had the 35mm GM attached to it. I’m going to try the wi-fi again later with a different lens on to see if that makes a difference for some reason.
Well I've tried a different lens and same outcome, every time I try to use wi-fi it just bricks the camera :(

Airplane mode on - problem fixed
It fixes that issue yeah but I've still had it brick randomly on 3 occasions now since mid June, and then there's the mushy button :(

I've seen this temporary fix suggested, but can anyone hazard a guess what my camera's IP address would be?????

From the link you have posted it looks to be suggesting setting a manual IP address. With this being the case you would just pick one within the range of your network.

You can look on one of your other connected devices to find out. For example on an an iphone go into settings > wifi and press the i next to your wifi name. Towards the bottom IP address will be listed, e.g. 192.168.1.10 along with subnet and router. In this example for your camera I would probably choose an IP of 192.168.1.90, less likely to be already issues to another device.

You'll then most likely need to enter the subnet and router/gateway address.

Following this if all is correct it should connect to your network.

Hope that helps.

From the link you have posted it looks to be suggesting setting a manual IP address. With this being the case you would just pick one within the range of your network.

You can look on one of your other connected devices to find out. For example on an an iphone go into settings > wifi and press the i next to your wifi name. Towards the bottom IP address will be listed, e.g. 192.168.1.10 along with subnet and router. In this example for your camera I would probably choose an IP of 192.168.1.90, less likely to be already issues to another device.

Hope that helps.
Thanks very much. So this is using an external network (eg my home broadband) rather than the camera creating its own wi-fi hotspot? If so this is not going to help when I'm out and about and want to use the Sony Creator App as a remote control :(

Edit: Doesn't work anyway, when I choose "manual" is access point set it asks for the SSID and password and not IP address, manually setting that results in a notification saying access point can't be found. I've gone through all the wi-fi settings on the camera and there's no option to manually input the IP address :thinking:

Last edited:
Thanks very much. So this is using an external network (eg my home broadband) rather than the camera creating its own wi-fi hotspot? If so this is not going to help when I'm out and about and want to use the Sony Creator App as a remote control :(
My apologies, you are quite right, I came at this from a connecting your camera to your home network as opposed to linking to the app.

I would assume if you are setting up a the camera as a hotspot you have free reign to choose whatever IP you want if setting it up manually. Presumably choose a wifi name to broadcast and then assign the camera an IP of your choosing e.g. old faithful 192.168.1.1 if it asks for subnet 255.255.255.0 and then the gateway would again be 192.168.1.1.

I'll have a look on my A7IV later when I get chance as I am intrigued now!

Last edited:
My apologies, you are quite right, I came at this from a connecting your camera to your home network as opposed to linking to the app.
No worries, I've edited my post above, as you will see it doesn't work anyway.

First time out using the 85mm F1.4 GM I picked up in a deal a month or so back. Shooting a Gig which was mostly backlit and it really is a poor lens in terms of AF and hates backlit scenes. A real pity as when it got an image it has a lovely look but I am so used to hardly bothering about focus it really took me back. The 35mm GM on the A9iii was fantastic. I kept the 85mm F1.8 so both will end up getting sold if the GM2 is any good. I had a good few months with making cash from my cameras so pulled the trigger on the 300mm GM and a Tamron 35-150 and also a HVL-F60RM2. Just a couple of lenses away from pretty much completing what I want. Loving the A9iii more with each use. May swap one of the A1s for a second A9iii

Stramash by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:

Hope that helps.
The FTP transfer app won't let you set a manual IP so for me that wouldn't have worked. Surely if it can connect manually then it can't be a physical issue and has to be software related

First time out using the 85mm F1.4 GM I picked up in a deal a month or so back. Shooting a Gig which was mostly backlit and it really is a poor lens in terms of AF and hates backlit scenes. A real pity as when it got an image it has a lovely look but I am so used to hardly bothering about focus it really took me back. The 35mm GM on the A9iii was fantastic. I kept the 85mm F1.8 so both will end up getting sold if the GM2 is any good. I had a good few months with making cash from my cameras so pulled the trigger on the 300mm GM and a Tamron 35-150 and also a HVL-F60RM2. Just a couple of lenses away from pretty much completing what I want. Loving the A9iii more with each use. May swap one of the A1s for a second A9iii

Stramash by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Interesting I had the 85G.M for many years but swapped it out for the Sigma 85 Art for its faster a.f performance. Can't say I ever had any problems using the 85G.M in backlit situations, maybe copy variation. The Sigma does have quicker a.f, although it' still not lightning fast by today's standards. I am also not entirely happy with the Sigma's rendering and colours, I think I preferred the 85G.M. I will also probably have a look at the new version when it hits.

Interesting that you prefer the A9III over the A1, I recently chose getting an A9III over the A1 but planned on getting an A1 later on in the year. Only got to use the A9III yesterday for the first time for work and haven't looked at the files yet, it seemed to perform well but the proof is in the pudding. Am working again today so having a look at the files will have to wait.

The FTP transfer app won't let you set a manual IP so for me that wouldn't have worked. Surely if it can connect manually then it can't be a physical issue and has to be software related
Mine won't let me connect manually either :(

Mine won't let me connect manually either :(
Main board replacement was what I needed. I have one on firmware 2.01 that is out of warranty that I am going to leave on that firmware. Mind you the other one failed a good while after updating so it may be something to do with the new firmware destroying the chip or having some sort of trigger that when it gets too hot or makes too many errors it effectively stops you using it again. It is swings and roundabouts though as the cameras work very well with the creator app and firing over new FTP details etc. Better than before the firmware and with the old app. Pretty expensive though for what is a minor convenience.

Interesting I had the 85G.M for many years but swapped it out for the Sigma 85 Art for its faster a.f performance. Can't say I ever had any problems using the 85G.M in backlit situations, maybe copy variation. The Sigma does have quicker a.f, although it' still not lightning fast by today's standards. I am also not entirely happy with the Sigma's rendering and colours, I think I preferred the 85G.M. I will also probably have a look at the new version when it hits.

Interesting that you prefer the A9III over the A1, I recently chose getting an A9III over the A1 but planned on getting an A1 later on in the year. Only got to use the A9III yesterday for the first time for work and haven't looked at the files yet, it seemed to perform well but the proof is in the pudding. Am working again today so having a look at the files will have to wait.
The 85 seemed to work better when I shot from further away. By doing so the angle to the back lights on the stage changed and it was finding something to focus on. When at the stage I was shooting right into the lights and it just hunted and couldn't find the focus. It may be me though as I am so used to just hitting the back button and the camera being in focus immediately so I really notice when that doesn't happen. I should have tried it with the A9iii to see if that made a difference

Main board replacement was what I needed. I have one on firmware 2.01 that is out of warranty that I am going to leave on that firmware. Mind you the other one failed a good while after updating so it may be something to do with the new firmware destroying the chip or having some sort of trigger that when it gets too hot or makes too many errors it effectively stops you using it again. It is swings and roundabouts though as the cameras work very well with the creator app and firing over new FTP details etc. Better than before the firmware and with the old app. Pretty expensive though for what is a minor convenience.
I think mine's the motherboard tbh, I just hope it holds out for the the foreseeable.

Have now had a chance to have a look at some of the files from the A9III.

Bloody hell, fantastic! Colours out of this body are bang on and the files have a lot more push/pull than I thought they would.

Camera is a joy to use, ergonomics are so much better than previous versions and A.F is ridiculously good. I am very happy with it.

The only downside being that I had to stop down slightly today even when using ridiculously quick shutter speeds as it was a super bright day. That doesn't happen often though.

It seems to handle noise differently than other bodies I have had as well files seem cleaner.

I have owned a fair amount of Sony bodies, 4 x A7III's, 2 x A7RIV, 1 x A7RIVa, 4 x A7IV's, 3 X A9's, 1 x A9II and an A6400. The A9 was the one that blew me away after getting it. The A9III is the only one since then were I have thought wow that's impressive.

Last edited:

Bloody hell, fantastic! Colours out of this body are bang on and the files have a lot more push/pull than I thought they would.

Camera is a joy to use, ergonomics are so much better than previous versions and A.F is ridiculously good. I am very happy with it.

The only downside being that I had to stop down slightly today even when using ridiculously quick shutter speeds as it was a super bright day. That doesn't happen often though.

It seems to handle noise differently than other bodies I have had as well files seem cleaner.

I have owned a fair amount of Sony bodies, 4 x A7III's, 2 x A7RIV, 1 x A7RIVa, 4 x A7IV's, 3 X A9's, 1 x A9II and an A6400. The A9 was the one that blew me away after getting it. The A9III is the only one since then were I have thought wow that's impressive.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Not sure if it is the colours or the accuracy of the AWB but whatever it is the files are significantly nicer than the A1 until you get to higher ISOs. They are still fine though even up at 12800 for my purposes. Not only does the camera sit better in the hand but it feels better built, particularly with the grip. The screen is also a massive plus

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Not sure if it is the colours or the accuracy of the AWB but whatever it is the files are significantly nicer than the A1 until you get to higher ISOs. They are still fine though even up at 12800 for my purposes. Not only does the camera sit better in the hand but it feels better built, particularly with the grip. The screen is also a massive plus
For sure I should of mentioned about it just feeling a lot more premium than the other Sony bodies l have had it is a little bit bigger maybe that is why but it’s definitely much nicer to use than any of the other Sony bodies I have had.

As you mentioned the much improved screen is a nice bonus.

Last edited:

Nice review. I’ve read a few reports saying that the A9III can get distracted by foregrounds when using some of the wider AF modes like zone, have you found this?

Isn’t the shutter speed 1/80000, I’m very surprised you had to stop it down, unless you you were using continuous shooting where max shutter drops to 1/16000? It’s a shame it does this, I wonder whether they’ll be able to ‘fix’ this in the future with a firmware update.

The base ISO would be a deal breaker for me as I’m sometimes having to shoot at ISO 50 when I’m doing my slow shutter pans, and that’s with a 4 stop ND :(

Nice review. I’ve read a few reports saying that the A9III can get distracted by foregrounds when using some of the wider AF modes like zone, have you found this?

Isn’t the shutter speed 1/80000, I’m very surprised you had to stop it down, unless you you were using continuous shooting where max shutter drops to 1/16000? It’s a shame it does this, I wonder whether they’ll be able to ‘fix’ this in the future with a firmware update.

The base ISO would be a deal breaker for me as I’m sometimes having to shoot at ISO 50 when I’m doing my slow shutter pans, and that’s with a 4 stop ND :(
I rarely use the wider a.f modes as I am pretty much always shooting people and I don’t think I have used it with the A9III yet.

Yeah was restricted to 1/16000 when using continuous 99.9% of the time it won’t be an issue for me as it’s very rare we have a wonder day like today. Stopping down to f/2 was enough to sort it. Mildly annoying but not too much of a problem for me anyway.

Last edited:
I rarely use the wider a.f modes as I am pretty much always shooting people and I don’t think I have used it with the A9III yet.

Yeah was restricted to 1/16000 when using continuous 99.9% of the time it won’t be an issue for me as it’s very rare we have a wonder day like today. Stopping down to f/2 was enough to sort it. Mildly annoying but not too much of a problem for me anyway.
f2???? :eek: May as well just shoot with m4/3 ;)

Is the restricted shutter speed a technical limitation imposed by continuous focus?

Is the restricted shutter speed a technical limitation imposed by continuous focus?
Just had a look on the Sony site, says the 1/16000 restriction during continuous shooting has been lifted with firmware version 2.0 and newer, however it's still restricted to 1/16000 with apertures wider than f1.8. Not sure why that is, seems an odd limitation :thinking:

Just had a look on the Sony site, says the 1/16000 restriction during continuous shooting has been lifted with firmware version 2.0 and newer, however it's still restricted to 1/16000 with apertures wider than f1.8. Not sure why that is, seems an odd limitation :thinking:

I don't think I'll ever be interested in buying the camera but I just thought it was a bit odd. Doubtless there's some technical limitation going on.

Since I got the Sony 40mm f2.5 I haven't run into any shutter speed issues but I do know that even 1/8,000 isn't enough sometimes even with a base ISO of 100. I do wish Sony would get to grips with shutter speeds and enable faster ones whenever possible if only with the electronic shutter... and with automatic seamless switching too, of course :D

I do know from previous threads and comments on this site that some people just don't see and issue and that years ago people "managed" with shutter speeds of 1/2,000 or lower but it just isn't the 1960's any more especially for people with faster than f2.x lenses who want to take wide aperture pictures in good light.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever be interested in buying the camera but I just thought it was a bit odd. Doubtless there's some technical limitation going on.

Since I got the Sony 40mm f2.5 I haven't run into any shutter speed issues but I do know that even 1/8,000 isn't enough sometimes even with a base ISO of 100. I do wish Sony would get to grips with shutter speeds and enable faster ones whenever possible if only with the electronic shutter... and with automatic seamless switching too, of course :D

I do know from previous threads and comments on this site that some people just don't see and issue and that years ago people "managed" with shutter speeds of 1/2,000 or lower but it just isn't the 1960's any more especially for people with faster than f2.x lenses who want to take wide aperture pictures in good light.
I'd run into issues with the f1.2 lens, sometimes the f1.4.

I could be interested in this camera but for the shutter speed limitation and base ISO, I think partnering this with the A1 would provide everything you could need. However, I do wonder if you were to have two cameras whether you're better off having two identical ones for consistency or whether you are better off having two slightly different ones each with their own pros?

Of course this is all a bit of a moot point for me :LOL:

I'd run into issues with the f1.2 lens, sometimes the f1.4.

I could be interested in this camera but for the shutter speed limitation and base ISO, I think partnering this with the A1 would provide everything you could need. However, I do wonder if you were to have two cameras whether you're better off having two identical ones for consistency or whether you are better off having two slightly different ones each with their own pros?

Of course this is all a bit of a moot point for me :LOL:
Just like you said above I was intending on pairing the A9III with an A1 later on down the line. However having now used the A9III. I no longer think I will be getting the A1 and will prob just get another A9III.

The Thames barge Vigilant at Topsham quay (A65 / Sigma 10-20mm)

Vigilant at Topsham Quay front view A65 DSC00356.JPG

Back