The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just like you said above I was intending on pairing the A9III with an A1 later on down the line. However having now used the A9III. I no longer think I will be getting the A1 and will prob just get another A9III.
I guess if you don't need the mp and/or DR then the A9 III makes more sense (y)

I guess if you don't need the mp and/or DR then the A9 III makes more sense (y)

It would seem that the dynamic range is way over criticised as it's a fair bit better than the A9 or the A9II, That is what I am seeing from my use anyway. For me anyway the only advantage of the A1 would be more mpx and that conversely for me is also it's biggest disadvantage.

It would seem that the dynamic range is way over criticised as it's a fair bit better than the A9 or the A9II, That is what I am seeing from my use anyway. For me anyway the only advantage of the A1 would be more mpx and that conversely for me is also it's biggest disadvantage.
I am finding that too. There are definitely time that the MP is a big advantage but it just makes storage more expensive and processing a bit slower. If I am shooting birds I can see the advantages of the A1 but even then a slightly sharper image because of the better AF very quickly makes up for a lack of resolution. I don't need files that are huge to output and the 24mp seems about right for nearly everything I do. I've shot the A1 at 21mp on occasion so resolution was never everything for me.

If you're not shooting at base then the DR is roughly the same, but at base the A1 clearly has more DR. The large files can be a pain, but it's also advantageous for someone like me that would rather carry around the 100-400mm instead of the 200-600mm Horses for courses and all that ;)

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 12.31.35.jpg

Last edited:
If you're not shooting at base then the DR is roughly the same, but at base the A1 clearly has more DR. The large files can be a pain, but it's also advantageous for someone like me that would rather carry around the 100-400mm instead of the 200-600mm Horses for courses and all that ;)

View attachment 431021

For sure what I need and want is going to be different to others.

Got the A9III and can confirm for me, it's much better than the A1. Better colour and there's just something that, to me at least - looks better than the A1 files. Think I've shot about 30k on the A9 and shot probably 100k+ with the A1 so plenty of use to compare them both

Got the A9III and can confirm for me, it's much better than the A1. Better colour and there's just something that, to me at least - looks better than the A1 files. Think I've shot about 30k on the A9 and shot probably 100k+ with the A1 so plenty of use to compare them both
Interesting that you two are finding this regards to the colours/picture quality. It's obviously a personal thing but some cameras do seem to give nicer images. Some swear by the D700, but I never owned one, however I do like the images from it. I think the best camera I've had in this regard is the D850, but then I do wonder how much software plays a part in this. For example the A1 files are much nicer using the color fidelity profiles over the adobe and Sony ones in Lightroom.

Interesting that you two are finding this regards to the colours/picture quality. It's obviously a personal thing but some cameras do seem to give nicer images. Some swear by the D700, but I never owned one, however I do like the images from it. I think the best camera I've had in this regard is the D850, but then I do wonder how much software plays a part in this. For example the A1 files are much nicer using the color fidelity profiles over the adobe and Sony ones in Lightroom.

D700 is probably the best example of amazing colours from a camera there is. It was absolute perfection. The A9III is giving it a run for its money though it really is that good. Its not even a small difference between the A9III and the other Sony bodies it is very noticeable.

Maybe they will include whatever sorcery they have baked into it in whatever comes next. Hopefully any new bodies get the new ergonomics from the A9III as well because it’s light years better than any other body they have made so far.

I had a Sabrent SD card go down. It is not very old. I could not open it in either Windows or Macbook laptops. So I lost quite a lot of photo's. I have sent it back. However whilst I was looking online about cards going down, it mentioned about deleting in camera. I tend to check photo's that I just took and delete any that are no good. Now I read that is not good for the card. Any thoughts?

I had a Sabrent SD card go down. It is not very old. I could not open it in either Windows or Macbook laptops. So I lost quite a lot of photo's. I have sent it back. However whilst I was looking online about cards going down, it mentioned about deleting in camera. I tend to check photo's that I just took and delete any that are no good. Now I read that is not good for the card. Any thoughts?

Deleting in camera is not ideal as it can cause corruption to the index structure on the card.

Deleting in camera is not ideal as it can cause corruption to the index structure on the card.
Depends on what camera body you have. With the older Sony bodies, it was very easy to corrupt the index table. They have changed the system on newer bodies so this is less likely to happen with everything from the A7IV onwards.

In theory, it should not cause a problem - the camera should be quite capable of maintaining the file index structure, and on Sony's it also maintains the image database file (which is why you should only do image deletion on camera, not via an external reader).

I've had Sony cameras since my A200 many years back (A200, A700, A900, A6000, A7iv) and never had an issue with corrupting the card from deleting images in camera.
I've had 1 CF card fail on one of my A900's, that's it.

As above, deleting can cause issues and it is better practice to format the card in camera rather than deleting. I've always done it this way and never had an issue. I tend to let the card fill up and then format if I know the next shoot requires more space than is left.

If the card could be recognised by the computer but you could not open files then it might have been caused by in-camera deletion. If the card was not recognised by the computer then far more likely the card has failed.

Did you try any recovery tools?

Just got the HVL-F60RM2 to pair with the A9iii. Outside, on camera quick portraits will be very easy from now on. A little fettling required for me to realise that it wasn't syncing in manual due to me having settings dialled in for the delay for my Godox flashes. Put those to zero and manual and TTL work like a dream at ridiculous speeds. I'm trying to find out if the Sony wireless trigger will be fully compatible. Sony says yes but they may mean at 1/500. It is just as cheap to get a second HVL-F60RM2 and use it as a commander switched off so may go that route. Bought the HVL-F60RM2 from Cotswold and they have got the flash here really quickly. Ordered a couple of lenses from Panomoz at the same time and they are still not in UK

Last edited:
If the card could be recognised by the computer but you could not open files then it might have been caused by in-camera deletion. If the card was not recognised by the computer then far more likely the card has failed.

Did you try any recovery tools?
Neither laptop recognised the card. I have the Sony A7CR. I was just about to view the last photo's I had taken, and the camera said something like it didn't recognise the card.

So the lab coat's been on today, I've just shot some trees in my back garden using large raw (50mp), and medium raw (21mp), I then used Gigapixel to increase the resolution to match the large raw (i.e. 8640 x 5750) and I can't tell the difference with the outputted jpegs, so I would say for the odd situation you don't need a high mp camera if you have Gigapixel.

The only issue is the file size, Large RAW is 64.5mb, medium raw is 38mb, but the tiff created by Gigapixel is 299.4mb :facepalm: :LOL:

I tried enlarging the image using photoshop but it looked terrible and it was still 288mb.

Last edited:
Sony customer support are really doing my head in, I’ve contacted them regarding the wi-fi issue on my camera and because I mentioned that the Creator App doesn’t connect either they’re fixated on the phone and keep going back to to what iOS I’m using, whether I’ve tried a different phone etc etc. I’ve told them 3 times now that it’s nothing to do with the phone and that it’s the wi-fi on the camera, and that it occurs with using any wi-fi function such as the wi-fi access point set but they still ask me about the phone :headbang:

Sony customer support are really doing my head in, I’ve contacted them regarding the wi-fi issue on my camera and because I mentioned that the Creator App doesn’t connect either they’re fixated on the phone and keep going back to to what iOS I’m using, whether I’ve tried a different phone etc etc. I’ve told them 3 times now that it’s nothing to do with the phone and that it’s the wi-fi on the camera, and that it occurs with using any wi-fi function such as the wi-fi access point set but they still ask me about the phone :headbang:
Got to follow the call-centre script...

PS: Have you tried turning it off and on again ? :LOL: :exit:

No! wait 20 seconds, 30 seconds 5 minutes 2 days before turning back on, depending on the operator.
Got to follow the call-centre script...

PS: Have you tried turning it off and on again ? :LOL: :exit:
Do you know what makes it worse, this is after it's allegedly been escalated to the technical team :runaway:

No photos yet but I've ordered an A7iii. Just looked on here and my last posts were from 2019 talking about selling my Canon 24-70 mkii and keeping my 5d Mkiii... However I had to sell it all over Covid. Been camera less until now. Excited to get out there and shoot again.

Last edited:
Hope you're happy with your new kit. I've just recently bought an A7III too.

No photos yet but I've ordered an A7iii. Just looked on here and my last posts were from 2019 talking about selling my Canon 24-70 mkii and keeping my 5d Mkiii... However I had to sell it all over Covid. E. Optional memories. Been camera less until now. Excited to get out there and shoot again.

Welcome back. You're in the perfect place for us to help you spend your money on new lenses :)

Don't forget the cars, watches, HiFi and other stuff we push in this thread.

Its been a while since cars were mentioned,

I had a Maxton Design front splitter, side skirts and a spoiler extension fitted to the focus a few weeks ago. :cool:

Am just waiting on Mountune intercoolers coming into stock so I can grab one of those and jump up another stage as well.

Not had a chance to take any proper photos yet but she is looking pretty :cool:

2.jpg

1.jpg

New Exhaust has been fitted a while now as well and it’s sounds fantastic.

IMG_0312.jpeg

Have also joined the local ST club and have my first show on the 25th.

This is my wee bros current motor.

IMG_0533.jpeg

He is also looking at getting this as his new weekend car at the minute. He daily drives the McLaren. :ROFLMAO:

454236709_10232867408018301_5500111244920350941_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back