The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

15fps is more than enough imo, I only tend to use single shot with primes anyway ;)

It's mad these days with FPS, it wasn't that long ago that I was coping more than fine with my D750 shooting 6.5fps and could only dream of 15fps. All of a sudden 15fps isn't enough :oops: :$ :thinking:

15fps is my go to these days (y)
I have got used to being able to pick from a selection of peak action moments. It never fails to amaze me how different moving subjects look even when the gap between frames is 1/30th of a second. Losing every second frame going from shooting 30fps to 15fps can often mean that frame where the stars align isn't quite there. It also takes very little time to choose the best from 10 images compared to 5 particularly when nearly every shot is now focused well. I'll be shooting an event tomorrow so may well be down to single shot or 5fps.

I have got used to being able to pick from a selection of peak action moments. It never fails to amaze me how different moving subjects look even when the gap between frames is 1/30th of a second. Losing every second frame going from shooting 30fps to 15fps can often mean that frame where the stars align isn't quite there. It also takes very little time to choose the best from 10 images compared to 5 particularly when nearly every shot is now focused well. I'll be shooting an event tomorrow so may well be down to single shot or 5fps.
I guess it’s different with people, shooting cars not much is going to change from frame to frame at 15fps.

I find it does increase time, it’s bound to as you’re looking at twice as many images, but if you’re happy to do that then why not, memory/storage is pretty cheap these days. I just find the whole culling process laborious o_O

85mm GM II listed for pre-order for £1849, that’s a bit more than I was expecting and is actually more in £ than it is in $ :mad:

I guess it’s different with people, shooting cars not much is going to change from frame to frame at 15fps.

I find it does increase time, it’s bound to as you’re looking at twice as many images, but if you’re happy to do that then why not, memory/storage is pretty cheap these days. I just find the whole culling process laborious o_O

I miss 15-20fps while shooting (smaller) birds or wildlife with some action.
Otherwise even the 8-10fps I get with my A7RV is good enough for me.

I miss 15-20fps while shooting (smaller) birds or wildlife with some action.
Otherwise even the 8-10fps I get with my A7RV is good enough for me.
Plus one on this from me too, I’ve come over from Olympus and yes the fps was high and had its benefits for bif etc but the time spent going through all those shots got a bit monotonous after a while. I’m happy with 10-15fps now with the Sony.

Reassuring to know, Simon.
Just bought a lens from them for the first time ;)
I thought my 20-70mm from them, it was decentered and was replaced with no fuss.

I got a bout of GAS recently and bought from both companies.

Panamoz - A7CR: ordered on Thursday last week and it was delivered on Tuesday

Cotswold - Sony 40mm lens: ordered last Tuesday and delivered yesterday.

Excellent service from both companies.

Jake

I'll be interested to read what you think of it, I think it's a very nice lens.

This isn't Sony related but I just thought some of you might like this...

I think there's something very wrong with the 5th picture in that piece, the one with the person with their arms raised in the Northern lights snow scene, but never mind.

Last edited:
Looking around the web the new 85mm seems to be being quite well received with plenty of people saying they've placed orders or are going to. This isn't a lens for me but I can imagine it being quite hard to get hold of for a while if the internet demand is real and reflected in orders.

Looking around the web the new 85mm seems to be being quite well received with plenty of people saying they've placed orders or are going to. This isn't a lens for me but I can imagine it being quite hard to get hold of for a while if the internet demand is real and reflected in orders.
I think it will be a great lens, and I would imagine a lot of people with the original GM will upgrade. The issue for many though is that there are other viable options that are considerably cheaper that offer 98% of the performance, namely the Sigma DG DN. If you want something lighter and smaller with lovely rendering then you have the Samyang. If they went down the f1.2 route there'd be no direct competion and I think it would have drawn a lot of interest.

All that being said, Sony aren't idiots and have obviously researched the market and believe the lens will be profitable for them.

I think it will be a great lens, and I would imagine a lot of people with the original GM will upgrade. The issue for many though is that there are other viable options that are considerably cheaper that offer 98% of the performance, namely the Sigma DG DN. If you want something lighter and smaller with lovely rendering then you have the Samyang. If they went down the f1.2 route there'd be no direct competion and I think it would have drawn a lot of interest.

All that being said, Sony aren't idiots and have obviously researched the market and believe the lens will be profitable for them.

I'm just watching Manny's review and comparison against the Sigma and so far the AF performance and video seem to be the differentiators. I don't know if I've ever heard an 85mm be described as "snappy" before, he says it's one of the snappiest AF lenses he's ever used and it keeps up with the A9III... Praise indeed for an 85mm f1.4?

I'm just watching Manny's review and comparison against the Sigma and so far the AF performance and video seem to be the differentiators. I don't know if I've ever heard an 85mm be described as "snappy" before, he says it's one of the snappiest AF lenses he's ever used and it keeps up with the A9III... Praise indeed for an 85mm f1.4?
The Sigma is no slouch, I've never found it lacking although I've never used it for video. If I didn't already have the Sigma I'm sure I would be tempted, but as I rarely use 85mm these days I'm happy to stick as I am (y)

The Sigma is no slouch, I've never found it lacking although I've never used it for video. If I didn't already have the Sigma I'm sure I would be tempted, but as I rarely use 85mm these days I'm happy to stick as I am (y)

I know I have taken some photos with my 85mm f1.8 and I know which photos they are but I'd have to check the dates, not this year that's for sure so for me changing from the f1.8 to f1.4 is just not worth it. Then again maybe a once a year lens should be a luxury item :D

Some pictures from this evening, either A7 and 24mm f2.8 or A7III and 40mm f2.5. I think these A7 pictures will be the first I've posted since it feigned death and spent a couple of days on holiday in the bin covered in orange peal and apple cores.

A7III and Sony 40mm f2.5.

The building on the LHS, with the red car just about to pass, has been a mortuary and also I believe a photographic dark room.

DSC00425.JPG

I stood on a wall to take this next one and I remembered doing the same thing on 6th June 2004 with my Canon 300D and a 28-300mm Sigma. The sunset was better that day. Unfortunately I also remembered my then GF I was there with. Shudder... :oops: :$

DSC00453.jpg

A7 and Sony 24mm f2.8.

DSC07049.jpg

DSC07058.jpg

DSC07076.jpg

I was pleased with the Billingham 2020. It wasn't too heavy and swallowed both cameras plus all my shrapnel and a bottle of water. The new shoulder pad obviously made all the difference and was well worth the money.

Last edited:
Some pictures from this evening, either A7 and 24mm f2.8 or A7III and 40mm f2.5. I think these A7 pictures will be the first I've posted since it feigned death and spent a couple of days on holiday in the bin covered in orange peal and apple cores.

A7III and Sony 40mm f2.5.

The building on the LHS, with the red car just about to pass, has been a mortuary and also I believe a photographic dark room.

View attachment 432466

I stood on a wall to take this next one and I remembered doing the same thing on 6th June 2004 with my Canon 300D and a 28-300mm Sigma. The sunset was better that day. Unfortunately I also remembered my then GF I was there with. Shudder... :oops: :$

View attachment 432467

A7 and Sony 24mm f2.8.

View attachment 432468

View attachment 432469

View attachment 432470

I was pleased with the Billingham 2020. It wasn't too heavy and swallowed both cameras plus all my shrapnel and a bottle of water. The new shoulder pad obviously made all the difference and was well worth the money.

Nice evening shots Alan :)

Glad the pads were worth the money..... You millionaire you ;) :ROFLMAO:

I managed to pick up the wrong tripod and a head I hadn't used before so that was initially baffling and fun. I was disappointed with the light but it was what it was. Also I see banding in my pictures on here which isn't in the originals.

Last edited:
I managed to pick up the wrong tripod and a head I hadn't used before so that was initially baffling and fun. I was disappointed with the light but it was what it was. Also I see banding in my pictures on here which isn't in the originals.

I didn't initially notice the banding. But now you've mentioned it....

I didn't initially notice the banding. But now you've mentioned it....

I don't think I'll bother trying to get rid of it here... it's not on the originals and if I post here again they might be even worse :D

This looks interesting and is now available in Sony mount...

One thing I would worry about and would be the first thing I'd look at is aperture accuracy as this does seem to be an issue with Chinese lenses and sadly an issue which reviewers seem to be largely ignoring. I know I'm a ocd geek at times but I do think that the apertures should be there or there abouts and that there really is no excuse for inaccuracy, that Artralab being the very worst example I've ever had the misfortune to come across. So, this issue will put me off these Chinese lenses.

Just a comment on the A7 v A7III. I've noticed that the III seems to be much better for WB. I think I took 40 odd pictures with the A7 and 24mm f2.8 and 30 odd with the A7III and 40mm f2.5 and I don't think I had to make any WB/temp adjustments to any of the A7III pictures whilst many of the A7 pictures needed a correction. This ties in with the occasions I've taken just the III out, it seems much better at getting the WB/temp right.

Just while I'm here. A 13 second exposure with the A7III and 40mm and a 6 second exposure with the A7 and 24mm. The tide was out so I didn't really get any great effect other than keeping the ISO down and capturing a few ghosts.

DSC00430.JPG

DSC07054.JPG

Last edited:
Just a comment on the A7 v A7III. I've noticed that the III seems to be much better for WB. I think I took 40 odd pictures with the A7 and 24mm f2.8 and 30 odd with the A7III and 40mm f2.5 and I don't think I had to make any WB/temp adjustments to any of the A7III pictures whilst many of the A7 pictures needed a correction. This ties in with the occasions I've taken just the III out, it seems much better at getting the WB/temp right.

Just while I'm here. A 13 second exposure with the A7III and 40mm and a 6 second exposure with the A7 and 24mm. The tide was out so I didn't really get any great effect other than keeping the ISO down and capturing a few ghosts.

View attachment 432517

View attachment 432518

I used the A7 today, with the 85mm at a car meet. Just because the A7Riii had the 35GM on it :ROFLMAO: I don't dislike it, but the truth is the A7Riii is much nicer to use :)

Hope you are finally getting on with the A7iii better :)

I'm getting used to it but a big part of that might be because it's got the 40mm f2.5 on it :D The things I've noticed about the A7III v A7 are that the bigger battery is a real move forward, the higher ISO performance is better, I can set the metering to follow the focus point and the WB seems much better. Oh and when I zoom in on a picture in the EVF or on the back screen it magnifies the point where the focus point was. I don't remember the A7 doing that, I'll have to check. I do miss the AF/MF/AEL button and switch so I've set one of the A7III custom buttons to swich AF/MF.

The biggest problem I had yesterday wasn't the cameras, it was working out how to use a head I'd not used before.

I'm getting used to it but a big part of that might be because it's got the 40mm f2.5 on it :D The things I've noticed about the A7III v A7 are that the bigger battery is a real move forward, the higher ISO performance is better, I can set the metering to follow the focus point and the WB seems much better. Oh and when I zoom in on a picture in the EVF or on the back screen it magnifies the point where the focus point was. I don't remember the A7 doing that, I'll have to check. I do miss the AF/MF/AEL button and switch so I've set one of the A7III custom buttons to swich AF/MF.

The biggest problem I had yesterday wasn't the cameras, it was working out how to use a head I'd not used before.
Could it be that you mainly used manual focus lenses on the A7 and so when you enlarge the image it enlarges at the centre rather than AF point, if the camera can't detect an AF point in the image review it will do this.

I've just checked with the A7 and the AF Sony 24mm f2.8. I moved the focus point off centre, focused and took the shot and when I checked the magnified view it magnified the centre, so it looks like this is a change from the A7.

I then tried two things with the III. I took a picture after moving the focus point just to double check and it did indeed magnify where the focus point was. I then took another picture and then returned the focus point to the centre and checked again and it definitely is picking up where the focus point is when you take the shot not just magnifying where the focus point is when you press the magnify button.

I live and learn.

I've just checked with the A7 and the AF Sony 24mm f2.8. I moved the focus point off centre, focused and took the shot and when I checked the magnified view it magnified the centre, so it looks like this is a change from the A7.

I then tried two things with the III. I took a picture after moving the focus point just to double check and it did indeed magnify where the focus point was. I then took another picture and then returned the focus point to the centre and checked again and it definitely is picking up where the focus point is when you take the shot not just magnifying where the focus point is when you press the magnify button.

I live and learn.
Yeah it definitely zooms in to where the focus point was on the shot. You can also have it show where the focus point was.

Just out of interest...

Even though I've had some issues with Chinese lenses and aperture accuracy I've been reading/watching Thypoch 28 and 35mm f1.4 reviews so I posted on DPR as I thought there might be more footfall there asking if anyone had used one and if so could they comment on the accuracy of the aperture settings.

I got this reply.

"What body are you using? Then, why are you messing with sub-standard Chinese lenses? For me, it's a total waste of time, energy and money. Just buy a great lens and, if you must, shoot it in manual focus."

Oh well. Lesson learned.

This reminds me what Mrs WW said. She said only I would notice and no one else cared. Yes Dear.

Last edited:
Back