The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Does anyone else find that eye AF sometimes (more often than they'd like) chooses the 'wrong' eye, i.e. the one furthest away? Sometimes even if I put the AF point over the nearest eye and focus it sometimes flicks over to the other eye, or flicks from one eye to the other :thinking:

Yeah it happens occasionally have noticed that it seems to happen more on the A7IV than it does on the O.G A9 even though it’s a much older body.

Very rarely happens on the A9III and the A7CII.

Ditto with my Cii, part of the reason I got it was the additional chip for the model acceleration to better support AI driven autofocus like this, and it is indeed like magic. Albeit magic where I know how the trick is done :)

Does anyone else find that eye AF sometimes (more often than they'd like) chooses the 'wrong' eye, i.e. the one furthest away? Sometimes even if I put the AF point over the nearest eye and focus it sometimes flicks over to the other eye, or flicks from one eye to the other :thinking:
You could have a play with the left and right eye setting otherwise auto will detect either

You could have a play with the left and right eye setting otherwise auto will detect either
I could but that would mean constantly going into the menu to change it over by which time you’ve probably missed the shot. It would be fast to not use eye-af at all imo. Auto eye detect is supposed to pick the nearest eye (y)

I’m kinda surprised that it’s not in the A9 III, I wonder if it can be added by a firmware update as I believe Canon did it this way :thinking:
It seems canon and Sony ibis works differently. Sonys seems a bit like Olympus, it provides 8 stops with all lens. Canon only provides 8 stops with lenses with OS. It's effectiveness reduces with non-OS lenses.

I thought with panning, camera just dealt with 2axis instead of all 5. May be canons can separate the 2 axis better than Sony/oly?

Canon was the last to add ibis. all other brands with ibis like Olympus who really use it for a lot of features like live ND etc don't seem to do this.

It seems canon and Sony ibis works differently. Sonys seems a bit like Olympus, it provides 8 stops with all lens. Canon only provides 8 stops with lenses with OS. It's effectiveness reduces with non-OS lenses.

I thought with panning, camera just dealt with 2axis instead of all 5. May be canons can separate the 2 axis better than Sony/oly?

Canon was the last to add ibis. all other brands with ibis like Olympus who really use it for a lot of features like live ND etc don't seem to do this.
I wonder how effective it is or whether it’s more of a marketing hype, similar to the micro adjust of the AF after the shot was taken they introduced several years back. It was pretty useless in the real world.

EEK,,, currently updating the A1 from 1.32 to 1.35 then 01 02 etc on a Mac then i'll update the lenses. Been sitting on the fence along with many others but it has to be done so whilst in warranty and a windy day off here goes :runaway:

Update to V2.02 went ok without issue everything seems to be working as it should including the app on bt and wifi, 70-200 gmii 100-400gm 200-600g updated and A1 settings put back as it was and now back into Aeroplane mode LOL.

It's a sunny day here with some light and shadow, some clouds and even some blue sky. It was like this yesterday afternoon so I thought I might go out in the evening to take some pictures but the dreaded and all too frequent featureless grey/white out soon returned so I didn't bother. Better luck today? I'll wait and see.

Light has gone and it's heading towards grey out. I'll stop in a watch the footie.

Last edited:
First outing with the Tamron 35-150. Mixed impressions. Sharp, weight wasn't too bad and the range was really useful and allowed me to shoot the player portraits with a single lens which meant I could use the A9iii and not have to worry about Sync speed. On the negative side the function buttons were far too easily pressed so I had to turn them off, the zoom ring is a bit too stiff too but not that bad and the lens hood is a pain to put on reversed for storage(works fine in use). All in all I think it will serve the limited purpose I have bought it for and that is events where I use flash and the player profiles. It will also be a useful take a single lens when I do some street type photography. I've also given the 300mm a wee try out at Dog Agility last weekend. It is excellent in every way. Hard to say anything negative about it. I'll give it another test at Golf on Sunday where I might try out the extenders

Tail-pipe view of the Dassault Mirage IV at the Yorkshire Air Museum (Sony A65 / Tamron 16-300mm)...

Dassault Mirage IV at Yorkshire Air Museum A65 DSC02629.JPG

Using the creators app as a remote is there a setting to stop the images being downloaded to the phone automatically.

I've just opened a jpeg in PS2024 and I got this message about a new feature...

1-Untitled-2.jpg

Hitting "Getting started" didn't do anything except clear the message and looking at the instructions I got googling I have no idea how to do it as I can't see the menu headings they reference. Oh well. Maybe someone will figure out how to use it :D

Went to Thruxton a couple of weeks ago for the Superbike practice day, first time I have done bikes so was quite excited to try but after an hour or so of hunting for different spots it all got a bit repetitive. Nice sunny day though and it was an excuse to get the camera out for the first time since October.

DSC05704_DxO by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

Bennets Superbike Practice Thruxton 2024 by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

When I use tracking AF the AF point stays where it ended up, is there a way to set the camera so it reverts back to the ‘home’ position (in my case centre) when you release the shutter/BBF?

When I use tracking AF the AF point stays where it ended up, is there a way to set the camera so it reverts back to the ‘home’ position (in my case centre) when you release the shutter/BBF?

What happens if you press the joystick in - that normally recentres the AF piont if you've moved it manually.

Guys... On ebay some auction items have a price stated which I assume is the starting price and then another higher price in brackets, what's it all mean?

I've tried googling and got nowhere so thought I'd ask here.

Last edited:
Guys... On ebay some auction items have a price stated which I assume is the starting price and then another higher price in brackets, what's it all mean?

Starting and reserve price?

Can you link us an example?

As far as I know you can't see reserve prices. At first guess I'd say it's a buy-it-now price

That’s a fantastic shot, thanks for sharing.
Can I ask is it possible to shoot the Milky Way with that level of detail in one shot all the time or is it more a case of being in exceptionally dark skies and atmospherics etc all coming together at the time?
Thank you.

No, you generally need quite a few elements to come together for this level of detail in one shot.

Firstly, I was in Tenerife at 2000 metres elevation, considered one of the darkest skies in Europe so that definitely helps. The next key element would be the moon phase, this was shot when towards the end of a waning cresent so very little light pollution from the moon.

Tenerife is also affected from Calimas, these significantly impact the air quality so I found air quality to be a big factor over there, I used accuweathers air quality scale and generally would only attempt astro on a rating of less than 30.

I was lucky enough to be there for a month and went up at night 5 times, the difference in the level of detail you can see to the naked eye depending on these factors was huge! So for max potential you're looking for minimal/no moon, no cloud cover (obviously), limited air pollution and a prime location. Time of year affects the visibility of the core as well.

Thank you.

No, you generally need quite a few elements to come together for this level of detail in one shot.

Firstly, I was in Tenerife at 2000 metres elevation, considered one of the darkest skies in Europe so that definitely helps. The next key element would be the moon phase, this was shot when towards the end of a waning cresent so very little light pollution from the moon.

Tenerife is also affected from Calimas, these significantly impact the air quality so I found air quality to be a big factor over there, I used accuweathers air quality scale and generally would only attempt astro on a rating of less than 30.

I was lucky enough to be there for a month and went up at night 5 times, the difference in the level of detail you can see to the naked eye depending on these factors was huge! So for max potential you're looking for minimal/no moon, no cloud cover (obviously), limited air pollution and a prime location. Time of year affects the visibility of the core as well.
Many thanks for the info.
I will definitely have a look at the air quality scales. I didn’t realise there was such data available.

Can you link us an example?

As far as I know you can't see reserve prices. At first guess I'd say it's a buy-it-now price

I was just browsing last night and saw several. This was the first I found today...

Last edited:
I was just browsing last night and saw several. This was the first I found today...

As I suspected, the higher price is the "buy it now" price as it says in the ad.
Basically as the phrase suggest you can just buy it for the higher price (thus by passing the auction) if you wish.
OR you can try your luck at the auction.

What happens if you press the joystick in - that normally recentres the AF piont if you've moved it manually.

On all my cameras it does return to its original position
Yeah it does on mine, but I was wondering if there was a way to set the camera so as soon as you release the shutter/BBF it automatically returns to centre rather than having to press the joystick?

Back