The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Did they provide you with a tracker or did you find something online? I've looked online for a tracker but can only find a US one :thinking:
There was a tracker in the initial email but it showed the wrong info throughout. I did get emails when it arrived and when it was fixed. Also a posted letter saying what they received from me. Very odd it isn't a tracker system you can look at and rely on. They were really good when I called though

Thanks for the info, I’ve contacted fixation but they say they don’t deal with repairs sent into Sony, they say Sony have their own repair centre.
It may have changed by now to be fair that was over a year ago and at that time all Sony repairs were sent to fixation.

It may have changed by now to be fair that was over a year ago and at that time all Sony repairs were sent to fixation.
I’ve contacted Sony who said they’ve diagnosed the issue and I should be getting a quotation from them at some point today, it’s then a question of how quickly the parts come in.

I’ve contacted Sony who said they’ve diagnosed the issue and I should be getting a quotation from them at some point today, it’s then a question of how quickly the parts come in.
Bought the A1 from Panamoz?

Probably because of 3 year warranty.
Yeah, I’m glad I have because I’ve just got the repair bill and it’s £804 :eek: Labour £150, rest is parts. I’m just hoping I get the money from Panamoz now

Yeah, I’m glad I have because I’ve just got the repair bill and it’s £804 :eek: Labour £150, rest is parts. I’m just hoping I get the money from Panamoz now
:eek:
Not a minor bug then!

Hope they do pay up, all reports so far suggest they are good at honouring the warranty.

:eek:
Not a minor bug then!

Hope they do pay up, all reports so far suggest they are good at honouring the warranty.
I’m guessing the mother board, says SY_COMPL but the part number is A5030051A and a quick google looks like a circuit board. And £9.46 for a switch block which I assume is for the mushy button as googling the code shows a rear control wheel.

Last edited:
I’m guessing the mother board, says SY_COMPL but the part number is A5030051A and a quick google looks like a circuit board. And £9.46 for a switch block which I assume is for the mushy button as googling the code shows a rear control wheel.
Was this the wifi issue. Sounds similar to me but my one was under warranty. I have a horrible feeling the second may go the same way as it hasn't been as reliable in terms of connection. No warranty on that so I don't think I will fix it and I can use it as the camera at my feet which rarely sends any images.

Was this the wifi issue. Sounds similar to me but my one was under warranty. I have a horrible feeling the second may go the same way as it hasn't been as reliable in terms of connection. No warranty on that so I don't think I will fix it and I can use it as the camera at my feet which rarely sends any images.
Well a comination of issues, one being the wi-fi. I also had three occasions of the camera being completely unresponsive after a battery change, and then the mushy button. Not great that they've had so many of the motherboards go on these cameras, I hope the new ones last longer.

Out of curiosity do Sony offer a warranty on their repairs? I won't need it any time soon as I still have roughly 18 months left of my Panamoz warranty. In hind sight it's a good job I bought from them, if I'd had the standard 1 year warranty I'd have a large bill to pay :runaway:

They will pay it no problem just email them a copy of the quote.

They will pay it no problem just email them a copy of the quote.
I have every faith they will. I hope so anyway as I've paid Sony already :runaway:

Well a comination of issues, one being the wi-fi. I also had three occasions of the camera being completely unresponsive after a battery change, and then the mushy button. Not great that they've had so many of the motherboards go on these cameras, I hope the new ones last longer.

Out of curiosity do Sony offer a warranty on their repairs? I won't need it any time soon as I still have roughly 18 months left of my Panamoz warranty. In hind sight it's a good job I bought from them, if I'd had the standard 1 year warranty I'd have a large bill to pay :runaway:
No idea about the warranty on the repairs. Do you use a grip. I had the camera fail to start quite often with the grip but without I haven't had any issues. Again no issue previous to teh newer firmware.

No idea about the warranty on the repairs. Do you use a grip. I had the camera fail to start quite often with the grip but without I haven't had any issues. Again no issue previous to teh newer firmware.
No, never used a grip with the A1. My A1 has always got hotter than any other camera in use and it's crossed my mind it might be linked.

No, never used a grip with the A1. My A1 has always got hotter than any other camera in use and it's crossed my mind it might be linked.
I've never really noticed much heat of them and I shoot lots of frames. If I forget to turn them off though and stick them in teh bag they can get very hot.

I've never really noticed much heat of them and I shoot lots of frames. If I forget to turn them off though and stick them in teh bag they can get very hot.
I don't notice it outdoors, but if I'm doing any kind of shooting indoors then it's noticeably warm. I remember when I first got it I was surprised but looking around online it seemed to be quite common. However, with all these motherboard failures surfacing after the 2.00 update it just got me wondering. It's not something that ever bothered me, but I'm curious to know whether it'll still run as warm when I get it back.

Much as I like the A1 I still think they are not as robust as the Nikon and Canon pro bodies.

Good question, no idea. Probably worth finding out I guess.

Sony normally offer one year extended warranty on most gear these days. So you'd get two years warranty in total.

if Panamoz is as good as they say then 3 years is certainly nicer

Much as I like the A1 I still think they are not as robust as the Nikon and Canon pro bodies.
I wouldn’t like to say as I’ve not kept tabs on Sony and Canon bodies over the past couple of years but they’ve certainly had their own issues in the past as well as several recalls.

The camera I had most issues with was the D750, but it didn’t put me off. I’ve had issues with Olympus too, but I’ve never owned Canon except for compact cameras.

I wouldn’t like to say as I’ve not kept tabs on Sony and Canon bodies over the past couple of years but they’ve certainly had their own issues in the past as well as several recalls.

The camera I had most issues with was the D750, but it didn’t put me off. I’ve had issues with Olympus too, but I’ve never owned Canon except for compact cameras.

Can't comment on bodies, but I've had issues with lens from all brands.
Surprisingly for me Sony has been the more consistent one.
Sigma, Tamron, samyang, viltrox, canon, nikon all have come with various issues.
That is not say Sony has been perfect, it's just been slightly less ridden with issues

Never had issues with oly/pana lenses on m43 though.

Last edited:
Can't comment on bodies, but I've had issues with lens from all brands.
Surprisingly for me Sony has been the more consistent one.
Sigma, Tamron, samyang, viltrox, canon, nikon all have come with various issues.
That is not say Sony has been perfect, it's just been slightly less ridden with issues

I had extreme shutter shock with an EM5-II which was duly replaced, I also had a fault with my EM10 which had to go back to Olympus in Portugal but I can’t for the life of me remember what for. Olympus lenses were always spot on. I had an f-mount sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which had AF and OS issues and was sent back, swapped it for the Nikon VRII which was much better in every department. I can’t recall having issues with any Nikon lenses other than the margin of error allowed with DSLR lenses/bodies. The lenses I’ve had most issues with is Samyang but I guess that won’t surprise many.

This is the first Sony body I’ve had issues with (had 5 in total), but I did also have a decentered 20-70mm which was exchanged.

I had an issue with my Panny 12-35mm f2.8, the focus failed. It would work at 12mm but as soon as I moved the zoom ring it failed, possibly a cable issue. I had it repaired and it's good as new now and I can't really complain as I bought it used years ago and zooms do I assume have more to go wrong. Other than that I think the only other lens issue I've had was with a Sigma 30mm f1.4 back in my APS-C Canon DSLR days when it's aperture stuck open, Over the decades lenses seem to have been quite impressively reliable for me.

I can't really count having decades old film era lenses cleaned as faults :D

I've been lucky, even though I was a working pro my camera bodies have survived without them going in for anything except a service. My A1 has been in twice after knocks my Nikons would have shrugged off.

We had a 14-42 Oly lens fail on us, and the next 2 that MPB shipped to us were both dead too. Wex provided a working replacement. Also the E-M10 has dreadful shutter shock with some lenses. That's my only experience with modern cameras failing.

We had a 14-42 Oly lens fail on us, and the next 2 that MPB shipped to us were both dead too. Wex provided a working replacement. Also the E-M10 has dreadful shutter shock with some lenses. That's my only experience with modern cameras failing.
Actually I had an issue with a 14-42mm pancake too, forgot about that.

Several years ago I was photographing a waterfall in the Lake District.
While swapping lenses, my 14-42 lens rolled out of my bag and ended up submerged in 3ft of water.
When I got home the following week, I put it in the airing cupboard and forgot about it until my wife found it a year later - It still worked and it still works to this day!!

Several years ago I was photographing a waterfall in the Lake District.
While swapping lenses, my 14-42 lens rolled out of my bag and ended up submerged in 3ft of water.
When I got home the following week, I put it in the airing cupboard and forgot about it until my wife found it a year later - It still worked and it still works to this day!!

You have a very forgiving wife. If I'd forgot about something and left it in the airing cupboard for a year and Mrs WW found it I'd never hear the last of it. And she'd tell everyone.

Just back from a week in Rome with the wife to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Only took the A6700 with the 18-135 and 10-20 PZ lenses in a small sling bag and it did brilliantly. Loved the shots and video I got from them. Here’s a few from the nearly 1000 taken ! It was bloody hot and humid though with temperatures up to 37 deg C !

Piazza Del Poppolo (Twin churches of Santa Maria in Montesanto and Santa Maria dei Miracoli)

Trevi Fountain (Fontana de Trevi)

Spanish Steps (Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti)

The Colleseum (Colosseo)

The Colleseum inside (Colosseo)

Roman Forum from Palantine Hill (Foro Romano) - just after a sudden downpour and thunderstorm

Last edited:
Getting closer to the ideal conditions here..... It's only been a few years of trying.....

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Very nice
Just back from a week in Rome with the wife to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Only took the A6700 with the 18-135 and 10-20 PZ lenses in a small sling bag and it did brilliantly. Loved the shots and video I got from them. Here’s a few from the nearly 1000 taken ! It was bloody hot and humid though with temperatures up to 37 deg C !

Piazza Del Poppolo (Twin churches of Santa Maria in Montesanto and Santa Maria dei Miracoli)

Trevi Fountain (Fontana de Trevi)

Spanish Steps (Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti)

The Colleseum (Colosseo)

The Colleseum inside (Colosseo)

Roman Forum from Palantine Hill (Foro Romano) - just after a sudden downpour and thunderstorm
Looks great, really need to go sometime.

Back