The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have been using real time tracking since gen4 and so far it mostly hasn't let me down.

Always returns to the center for me. Always has done.
My A1 doesn't, or at least doesn't some of the time as I know I have to re-centre it myself. I wonder if that's when I've moved it myself first that it then stays where it left off, I'll have to do some experimenting when I get it back ;)

Ahah, thanks for that - indeed if AF in mag is off, then it cancels the zoom (at least on the lens on the camera just now... which has it forced off as it's adapted A-mount). I bet that's it though.
there must be a setting somewhere

The story of Sony menus... or is it the mission statement of Sony's software team?

My A1 doesn't, or at least doesn't some of the time as I know I have to re-centre it myself. I wonder if that's when I've moved it myself first that it then stays where it left off, I'll have to do some experimenting when I get it back ;)
As far as I'm aware all Sony bodies do this i.e. AF point returns back to its original position automatically with real-time tracking.
The AF returns to its start point (in my case mostly centre position). So if you did move then it returns to the point you moved it to

Last edited:
Yeah it does on my A7, but not the A7Cii - which has newer OS/software that came in with the A74 (and maybe the A1? I forget).

I think it must be that setting snerkler spotted, as it _does_ behave with a lens that forces it off.

As far as I'm aware all Sony bodies do this i.e. AF point returns back to its original position automatically with real-time tracking.
The AF returns to its start point (in my case mostly centre position). So if you did move then it returns to the point you moved it to
I'm sure you're right, although I'm sure at least once I had the AF point upper left, it tracked to the right and then next time I went to shoot it was on the right. Of course I could be mistaken, either that or another 'glitch' with my A1 :thinking:

Hi guys, as a still relative newbie to the Sony Ecosystem, can someone answer the following question please. When shooting video (either on my A6700 or RX100 VII), as I understand it, gyro metadata is embedded into the video file, which can later be translated by the Sony Catalyst Browse (SCB) software to achieve much better stabilization.

I've given SCB a go on a couple of video clips and to be honest the results were awful. Davinci 19 did a much better (if not perfect) job (plus SCB is soooo slow). Now, I've just read that if you are planning to use SCB on your video files, that it's recommended to completely turn off stabilization in camera and shoot without it, and also raise your shutter speed to at least 1/200 sec or faster (which I know isn't the "cinematic rule of two times the frame rate) for best results. Apparently using SCB in conjunction with an already in camera stabilized footage means the two work against each other producing the poor results that I am currently seeing ?

With the weather at the moment, I've not had chance to try this but thought I'd ask the group for their experiences please ?

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone will be interested... I'm selling my Pergear 35mm f1.4, it's in the "Other" section. I haven't been using it and I still have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and f1.2. Actually I haven't used anything except the 40 and 24mm G's recently. They seem to have pushed everything out.

Also selling my little used 28-60mm f4-f5.6 as I'm not really a zoom person.

Last edited:
Other than the sensor resolution are there any benefits of the A7cR over the A7c II, and are there any areas where the A7c II is better than the A7cR?

Do people worry about only one card slot, it’s something I’ve tried to avoid where possible?

So I looked into this before buying my CII.
  • The R comes with the grip/extension plate (I've added a 3rd party one to my CII for bigger lens use).
  • The CII is rated for a bit more battery life.
  • The CII has slightly more phase detect focus points.
  • The CII is a bit faster (more FPS)
  • The CII is significantly lighter on the wallet ;)

There are probably video differences too but it's of less interest to me so I don't know them. I don't worry about 1 card slot, never had a situation where I've been glad of 2 (touch wood). And at the end of the day, this isn't a pro tool for me, it's a hobby, and I accept there are sacrifices for a compact body.

For me, there's less advantage in the R if you're not shooting top quality glass - I see a lot of GM in your sig though! That said, for me, the main appeal of the compact body is compact lenses, which _tend_ not to be as good. Certainly for my uses, I'm happy with the 33MP and 14Mp shooting crop lenses.

Last edited:
So I looked into this before buying my CII.
  • The R comes with the grip/extension plate (I've added a 3rd party one to my CII for bigger lens use).
  • The CII is rated for a bit more battery life.
  • The CII has slightly more phase detect focus points.
  • The CII is a bit faster (more FPS)
  • The CII is significantly lighter on the wallet ;)

There are probably video differences too but it's of less interest to me so I don't know them. I don't worry about 1 card slot, never had a situation where I've been glad of 2 (touch wood). And at the end of the day, this isn't a pro tool for me, it's a hobby, and I accept there are sacrifices for a compact body.

For me, there's less advantage in the R if you're not shooting top quality glass - I see a lot of GM in your sig though! That said, for me, the main appeal of the compact body is compact lenses, which _tend_ not to be as good. Certainly for my uses, I'm happy with the 33MP and 14Mp shooting crop lenses.
Thanks, useful stuff I don’t care for video either. I’ve never had a card fail, but there’s always a chance and I’d be gutted to lose ‘memories’ if one failed. I’m guessing it’s body size that’s dictated the one card slot, but I have no idea how much room it takes up to add a second.

It is the use of E lenses that’s the only consideration of the R for me, I’m not sure that 14mp gives much wiggle room for cropping in post. That being said I used to cope with 16mp M4/3 cameras :thinking:

And it's only 14Mp on crop lenses, are you likely to use many of them? And for me, I was coming from a 12Mp X100 so 14 is a luxury ;)

There are some compact FE options, I really like my Samyang 35/2.8 and they do a few other small primes, plus the small f2.5 G Sony set, and the 28-60 zoom.

TBH I probably would have the R if I could justify the extra expense, but part of that is also the more expensive a (personal*) camera is the less comfortable I am out and about with it. Though everyone is different there.

*work cameras OTOH I've put in some terrible situations.

Last edited:
And it's only 14Mp on crop lenses, are you likely to use many of them? And for me, I was coming from a 12Mp X100 so 14 is a luxury ;)

There are some compact FE options, I really like my Samyang 35/2.8 and they do a few other small primes, plus the small f2.5 G Sony set, and the 28-60 zoom.

There's also the slightly larger but really still quite small and light Sony 28mm f2.

Other than the sensor resolution are there any benefits of the A7cR over the A7c II, and are there any areas where the A7c II is better than the A7cR?

Do people worry about only one card slot, it’s something I’ve tried to avoid where possible?

I debated a bit between the 2 before deciding on the A7CII a while back.

I didn't go for the A7CR because I couldn't really see when I would need the extra resolution. I don't think there would be much point in using APSC lenses with either, might as well just get an APSC body. APSC lenses generally ain't that great, compared to their full frame equivalents although there are of course exceptions to the rule.

I don't know if I just fell lucky but the lenses I chose for my A7CII I am more than happy with. I have the Samyang 18 f/2.8, 45 f/1.8 and the 75mm f/1.8, all of them perform better than what I expected, I also have a Viltrox 20mm which tbf is better than the Samyang 18mm, that I bought on a whim as was ridiculously cheap. I didn't have any of the usual Samyang quality control issues, the 75mm in particular is great value and has awesome colours S.O.O.C.

To get the best out of the A7CR you are going to need to use G,M lenses or the Sigma art lenses which are all pretty big and cumbersome and then you lose the advantage of having the small take anywhere body.

Normally I would never buy a camera body with one card slot but I didn't really see it as any issue with the A7CII as if I was shooting something important I would be using my work gear anyway,

I really like the A7CII and I have used it a lot more than I thought I would have, yes not having a joystick was at first annoying but have gotten used to it now and as I mainly use eye a,f or the other subject modes I don't really find it a problem.

A.F performance on the A7CII is excellent, best I have ever used before I got an A9III.

Last edited:
A.F performance on the A7CII is excellent

I’d agree with that, it really does seem like magic sometimes. Also agree with your assessment of Samyang lenses too, I have a zoom also which is excellent, very sharp and lovely colour.

Hi guys, as a still relative newbie to the Sony Ecosystem, can someone answer the following question please. When shooting video (either on my A6700 or RX100 VII), as I understand it, gyro metadata is embedded into the video file, which can later be translated by the Sony Catalyst Browse (SCB) software to achieve much better stabilization.

I've given SCB a go on a couple of video clips and to be honest the results were awful. Davinci 19 did a much better (if not perfect) job (plus SCB is soooo slow). Now, I've just read that if you are planning to use SCB on your video files, that it's recommended to completely turn off stabilization in camera and shoot without it, and also raise your shutter speed to at least 1/200 sec or faster (which I know isn't the "cinematic rule of two times the frame rate) for best results. Apparently using SCB in conjunction with an already in camera stabilized footage means the two work against each other producing the poor results that I am currently seeing ?

With the weather at the moment, I've not had chance to try this but thought I'd ask the group for their experiences please ?
It may be worth asking this in a separate thread in the video forum as there doesn't tend to be much talk about video in this one.

I wouldn't expect the mechanical stabilisation and software stabilisation to conflict each other but I've read some claims that on some cameras if the mechanical image stabilisation is enabled the gyro data isn't recorded which I'm wondering if would explain the problems you were seeing. I was a bit puzzled by the 1/200 requirement since with digital image stabilisation on action cameras they increase the framerate to get more data on where the camera is moving however the reason for the higher shutter speed is to avoid blur across the frame on fast movements.

Something definitely doesn't sound right since from having a read about the software it should manage results a bit better than Resolve but I can't really recommend anything. My experience with these sorts of systems is where there's no mechanical stabilisation in the first place.

Apparently using SCB in conjunction with an already in camera stabilized footage means the two work against each other producing the poor results that I am currently seeing ?

That would make sense where the method of stabilisation requires a crop to the recorded video, but not where there’s active sensor or motion used to compensate.

AIUI steady shot standard is the IBIS, I’d leave that on.

Steady shot active is cropping using IMU/tracking data etc. so the output video is narrower in FOV. This presumably needs to be off if you’re doing this in post, which should be able to do better (as it can see any current frame and future frames).

I don’t know the Sony video systems in detail but I have implemented steady shot type systems in the past so have some understanding of them.

TBH I probably would have the R if I could justify the extra expense, but part of that is also the more expensive a (personal*) camera is the less comfortable I am out and about with it. Though everyone is different there.

*work cameras OTOH I've put in some terrible situations.
14mp may be adequate, it's just when I'm used to 50mp it's quite a substantial drop.
I debated a bit between the 2 before deciding on the A7CII a while back.

I didn't go for the A7CR because I couldn't really see when I would need the extra resolution. I don't think there would be much point in using APSC lenses with either, might as well just get an APSC body. APSC lenses generally ain't that great, compared to their full frame equivalents although there are of course exceptions to the rule.

I don't know if I just fell lucky but the lenses I chose for my A7CII I am more than happy with. I have the Samyang 18 f/2.8, 45 f/1.8 and the 75mm f/1.8, all of them perform better than what I expected, I also have a Viltrox 20mm which tbf is better than the Samyang 18mm, that I bought on a whim as was ridiculously cheap. I didn't have any of the usual Samyang quality control issues, the 75mm in particular is great value and has awesome colours S.O.O.C.

To get the best out of the A7CR you are going to need to use G,M lenses or the Sigma art lenses which are all pretty big and cumbersome and then you lose the advantage of having the small take anywhere body.

Normally I would never buy a camera body with one card slot but I didn't really see it as any issue with the A7CII as if I was shooting something important I would be using my work gear anyway,

I really like the A7CII and I have used it a lot more than I thought I would have, yes not having a joystick was at first annoying but have gotten used to it now and as I mainly use eye a,f or the other subject modes I don't really find it a problem.

A.F performance on the A7CII is excellent, best I have ever used before I got an A9III.
I agree in part about using APS-C glass on it, and I'm usually one that doesn't advocate buying FF to then use APS-C lenses, however there is a reason for my consideration.

There are times when I wish I had two bodies as I keep swapping lenses, such as when I'm at a portrait event or motorsport event. If I bought the A7c I could use it as an APS-C camera with APS-C lenses for when I want lightweight, but I could also take it to events and stick one of my FF primes on it.

I've been considering a Fuji X-T5 but tried one the other day and was disappointed in how cheap it felt, I've then been considering the X-T50 but have also looked at the A6700. All seem like good options in terms of being lightweight and compact with the right lenses, thinking the Sony 10-20mm PZ and SIgma 10-18mm DC DN at 178g ans 255g respectively, and then the 28-60mm at 167g, or I could even consider the 16-50mm PZ at 107g

I'm not going to rush into anything, just toying with ideas at the moment. None are 'perfect' and so it's a lot of money to fork out for something that has flaws.

My camera's stuck in Sheffield Mail Centre, should have been delivered yesterday and it wasn't, not going to be delivered today either and if it's not delivered by 11am tomorrow it's too late as I go away :(

Hmm, sounds like you best rush out and get an A7C then? ;-)

For the difference in price between a Cii and CR you could get a 6-something body for the APS-C lenses…
If it was purely up to me I would buy one today ;)

14mp may be adequate, it's just when I'm used to 50mp it's quite a substantial drop.
I moved from A1 to A7IV. the drop isn't as significant as you might think. About a 25% drop.
its certainly noticeable but its also not as bad as going down to 24mp (I know stating the obvious there!).

I moved from A1 to A7IV. the drop isn't as significant as you might think. About a 25% drop.
its certainly noticeable but its also not as bad as going down to 24mp (I know stating the obvious there!).
Yeah, 50mp to 33mp isn't so bad, but 50mp to 14mp (when using APS-C lenses on the A7c II) I'm not so sure about (y)

Yeah, 50mp to 33mp isn't so bad, but 50mp to 14mp (when using APS-C lenses on the A7c II) I'm not so sure about (y)
well APS-C mode on A1 is 22mp, so really its 22mp to 14mp.

the best you can get on Sony is 26mp whether you buy an APS-C body or use APS-C mode on of the R bodies. A little annoying when Fuji using sony sensors have 40mp :(

A little annoying when Fuji using sony sensors have 40mp

That'd mean a ~100Mp FF sensor though, or a bit over 3um pixels, I don't know of any larger sensors that go that small. They do some _larger_ sensors that get closer, e.g. the IMX411 which is a med format 151Mp, would give about 75Mp on FF.

Cameras with those in are in the ~£20k range however!

That'd mean a ~100Mp FF sensor though, or a bit over 3um pixels, I don't know of any larger sensors that go that small. They do some _larger_ sensors that get closer, e.g. the IMX411 which is a med format 151Mp, would give about 75Mp on FF.

Cameras with those in are in the ~£20k range however!
or they could simply put the X-T5/50 sensor in a A6XXX body.... they do after all design it for Fuji.

Toby, why do you want to use APS-C lenses? Do you have some already or is it to reduce the bulk and weight? Just wondering.

I agree in part about using APS-C glass on it, and I'm usually one that doesn't advocate buying FF to then use APS-C lenses, however there is a reason for my consideration.

There are times when I wish I had two bodies as I keep swapping lenses, such as when I'm at a portrait event or motorsport event. If I bought the A7c I could use it as an APS-C camera with APS-C lenses for when I want lightweight, but I could also take it to events and stick one of my FF primes on it.

I've been considering a Fuji X-T5 but tried one the other day and was disappointed in how cheap it felt, I've then been considering the X-T50 but have also looked at the A6700. All seem like good options in terms of being lightweight and compact with the right lenses, thinking the Sony 10-20mm PZ and SIgma 10-18mm DC DN at 178g ans 255g respectively, and then the 28-60mm at 167g, or I could even consider the 16-50mm PZ at 107g

I'm not going to rush into anything, just toying with ideas at the moment. None are 'perfect' and so it's a lot of money to fork out for something that has flaws.

Toby, why do you want to use APS-C lenses? Do you have some already or is it to reduce the bulk and weight? Just wondering.
Yeah to reduce weight, I've attached my post where I explain above why I'd consider the A7c over an A6xxx (y)

Yeah to reduce weight, I've attached my post where I explain above why I'd consider the A7c over an A6xxx (y)

I suppose it depends what focal length you want but I'm quite smitten with the small G lenses I have and of course with the older 35mm f2.8 and 28mm f2.

I suppose it depends what focal length you want but I'm quite smitten with the small G lenses I have and of course with the older 35mm f2.8 and 28mm f2.
Having a 16-28mm or 16-35mm eq and then a longer zoom 24-70mm or 28-70mm type of lens would be all I'd need. I'm not a huge fan of PZ's but I could have the 10-20mm PZ and 15-50mm PZ at a combined weight of 285g, or the 10-20mm PZ and 28-60mm FE at a combined weight of 345g. Add the A7cR to the latter and that's a total weight of 860g which is a big saving over my A1 + 16-35mm + 20-70mm which is a combined weight of 1743g. I appreciate the lenses are not of equal quality but they'd be used mainly at f8-11 so sould be OK.

I could of course just get the lighter lenses for the A1 and save a packet, but obviously it's still 222g heavier than the A7cR plus I'd find a 2nd body useful (y)

Last edited:
On other news the tracking on my A1 has been updated and is now saying it's being delvivered today. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is. I'm not holding my breath is normally Royal Mail send you a time slot for delivery and I've not had that :thinking:

TBH, it's something I've been considering as well. I already have the A6700 and a really nice set of Sony APS-C lenses, however as good as the A6700 is (and it's bloody good, and did me brilliantly on my Recent week in Rome), I have been thinking for a while in getting a grey market A7RV, and using my current APS_C lenses on it, which would then give me the best APS-C body Sony have ever produced, with all the A7RV goodies of twin card slots, 4 way high res rear screen, 9mp viewfinder, AF joystick and the 8 stop IBIS etc. Then when I sell off some of my Micro Four thirds stuff, adding a few FF Sony lenses (16-35, 24-70 and the 100-400) when funds allow, to give me a two in one body. But I'm just not sure...........

So my A1 has arrived back,....... and it's still faulty :eek: I've got 3 genuine Sony batteries and wanted to check the battery charge. First one no problem, second one no problem, swapped out and tried the third and the camera was dead. Must be a dead battery I thought, put one of the other batteries back in still dead. Tried the other, still dead. Waited 5 mins and then the camera turned back on again :rolleyes: I've not tried wi-fi yet :runaway:

Back