The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thanks. :)

Seems a decent enough lens to me. Doesn't weigh a lot, or take up much room in the bag. I guess the 16-55 gets better reviews but it costs more, weighs more and has less reach. I think the 16-80 will do me just fine - it ticks the right boxes for me.

Loving the XT5 as well.. :)
I’m off to Crete tomorrow and taking my 16-80 (which I bought secondhand) on a X-pro3. I also have a 16-55 but if I’m only taking one lens I’ll generally just take the 16-80 as it’s lighter and has more reach.

I'm tempted by a 16-80 to replace my 18-55 when I get a new body.

At the moment I am debating which camera to take to Rome with me for a long weekend later in the year, X100V will be nice and light, but would have a bit more flexibility with the X-T2 and 18-55.

They're coming after Fuji ... by using their own design from the 80's?

Also, this is FX, so the whole 'Fuji Killer' thing is just all hype, there's nothing to compare really bar style. About the least important thing about a camera - and as for the colour variants ... lol.

I'm hoping there are some real Fuji Guru's here, because I'm perplexed. All of a sudden my XT3 has taken to permanently displaying a preview once I take a shot. And three boxes have miraculously appeared. One says Next. Another says Retry, and another Exit. I'm not sure what I've done to prompt this, but my little indicator light is flashing green and red in accompaniment. This may not be relevant, but I'm shooting JPEG's at the moment.

I'm hoping there are some real Fuji Guru's here, because I'm perplexed. All of a sudden my XT3 has taken to permanently displaying a preview once I take a shot. And three boxes have miraculously appeared. One says Next. Another says Retry, and another Exit. I'm not sure what I've done to prompt this, but my little indicator light is flashing green and red in accompaniment. This may not be relevant, but I'm shooting JPEG's at the moment.

Do you have image display set to continuous? In that case the preview will stay on screen until you press the Munu button

Good point. It's set in single shot.

Sounds like you have enable bracketing of some sort.

I think you could be right. It looks as if I had inadvertently turned the dial. I'll try it again tomorrow, but hopefully that's all it was. Thanks for your help.

My X-H2S loan started a bit early - my initial reaction when I took it out of the Peli case was "It is a monster", it felt huge, compared to my X-T2. I went for a short walk in my local woods, only 30 minutes, to see if I could find some squirrels to point it at. I didn't have much luck, but even after that short time, my hands started to get used to it.

My X-H2S loan started a bit early - my initial reaction when I took it out of the Peli case was "It is a monster", it felt huge, compared to my X-T2. I went for a short walk in my local woods, only 30 minutes, to see if I could find some squirrels to point it at. I didn't have much luck, but even after that short time, my hands started to get used to it.

My first Fuji was the X-T1, then the Xpro - then I ventured into the M4/3 world for a bit [said I'd return to Fuji once they added IBIS] and also realised I needed my grip back [last DSLR was a D800 and with M43 I used a G80 which had a nice grip] so when I returned to Fuji the X-H1 was the perfect fit. I never get why people want increasingly smaller without any grip! For me, the H1 body is just ideal, so comfortable, sturdy, without being 'heavy' or 'large'. I envy that H2 body, the H1 has served me well for years now and may do a few more, I'll grab a H2 whenever they fall dramatically in price like the H1 did :D

Last edited:
I never really wanted increasingly smaller. All I ever really wanted was to shed the modern bloat and get back to the bulk and weight of my film era kit. I suppose we can't always really get the weight back to what it was in the film days as cameras were pretty empty and these days there are electronic "works" inside. A lot of lenses are bigger and heavier too these days.

I seem to take about one picture a month with my X100f but I can't bring myself to sell it.

Just wait until you’re shooting bursts. Blackout free, it’ll be great for MTB action.

Fine until you have to Send them to Nikon for a service. Then you realise your mistake in not getting a Fuji.
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Nikon have had an issue with one model, and they’re fixing them all FOC with a quick turn around. I’d hope all manufacturers would do the same.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Nikon have had an issue with one model, and they’re fixing them all FOC with a quick turn around. I’d hope all manufacturers would do the same.
No problem with recalls. It is the general service contract and customer service that Nikon users seem to be complaining about recently.

Just wait until you’re shooting bursts. Blackout free, it’ll be great for MTB action.
I'm shooting a downhill race on Sunday, I expect that is where it will excel. Planning to borrow an X-T5 for the next race I shoot, but what I was expecting to be the downsides of the X-H2S, aren't as bad as I was expecting.
My first Fuji was the X-T1, then the Xpro - then I ventured into the M4/3 world for a bit [said I'd return to Fuji once they added IBIS] and also realised I needed my grip back [last DSLR was a D800 and with M43 I used a G80 which had a nice grip] so when I returned to Fuji the X-H1 was the perfect fit. I never get why people want increasingly smaller without any grip! For me, the H1 body is just ideal, so comfortable, sturdy, without being 'heavy' or 'large'. I envy that H2 body, the H1 has served me well for years now and may do a few more, I'll grab a H2 whenever they fall dramatically in price like the H1 did :D
Coming from Canon FF I waned smaller, to take on bike rides, but even the X-T2 wasn't small enough, so I got an X100V, which is perfect. Now my "bigger" camera doesn't need to be so small. Not that I thought the X-T2 was too small before handling the X-H2S.

I'm tempted by a 16-80 to replace my 18-55 when I get a new body.

At the moment I am debating which camera to take to Rome with me for a long weekend later in the year, X100V will be nice and light, but would have a bit more flexibility with the X-T2 and 18-55.
Same. I was very torn between the 16-80 kit and the 18-55 kit when I was buying my X-T4. Read a few reviews and opinions on the 16-80 that said it wasn't that great, and I thought I'd value the extra stop of light at the short end more than I actually do. I should have gone for the 16-80 as the extra reach, constant aperture and WR would have made more sense to me. Lots of 16-80s about second hand so I'm tempted to chop my 18-55 in. I'm also finding the 18-55 back focusses quite a lot, especially at close distances. The AF box will go green but the actual focus point is behind where the camera says it is. Didn't think this was possible with mirrorless cameras.

No problem with recalls. It is the general service contract and customer service that Nikon users seem to be complaining about recently.
Lots of complaints I read, but everyone I personally know has requested the fix and it's been turned around in less than a week.

I'm also finding the 18-55 back focusses quite a lot, especially at close distances. The AF box will go green but the actual focus point is behind where the camera says it is. Didn't think this was possible with mirrorless cameras.
Oh they can and it isn't just the 18-55. Missed focus too often was the reason I moved from the X-Pro1s to Leica M9s I had too many missed focus shots despite the green box confirmations, now if I miss focus it's my fault. Also with my X-T2s I had real issues with back focussing with my Dartmoor Landscapes (lots of grey rocks and green foliage very little contrast) so I use manual focus now without the focus peaking (because that was just as bad as AF) and again if I miss focus it's down to me.

I think there is a lot of 'history' that you are overlooking, recalls on D610 and 4 different recalls on D750 lost Nikon a lot of customers. The ZF does look the part though.

7 years I’ve had this X-pro1…today is the first day I spent time putting all those “recipes” into the camera.

Wish it had dual card slot and I can have 1 card RAW and 1 for jpeg. But with 16mp sensor even a 64G card can hold like 2000 shots, so that’s not too bad.

I took the X-H2s, and my son, to the park this evening, the light was rubbish, but we only had 20 minutes. I wasn't actually that impressed with the autofocus on the X-H2S, albeit combined with the 35mm f1.4, which is known to be slow-focusing.

I was happy with some of the photos though, the real test will be at the mountain bike race on Sunday.

At the park by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

I never get why people want increasingly smaller without any grip! For me, the H1 body is just ideal, so comfortable, sturdy, without being 'heavy' or 'large'. I envy that H2 body, the H1 has served me well for years now and may do a few more, I'll grab a H2 whenever they fall dramatically in price like the H1 did :D

When I first saw the X-H1 then I was sceptical of the size.

It's a ridiculously nice camera to use. I'd jump at a X-H2 or X-H2S if the prices fell - but I don't think we'll see that happen in the way that it did with the X-H1 because this time round Fuji got the launch schedule in the model range better sorted.

One of my objections to the X-H2/X-H2S was the loss of the ISO dial. But now that I carry the X-H1 as my main body I've got used to the idea that with the control wheels configured then top display takes over from the physical dial legends.

I do think size is an issue. I moves from MFT to Fuji because the MFT lenses and bodies were bulking up. I started with an X-T30 which is really neat in combination with the likes of the 18-55 and the 35mm F1.4 and other small lenses. My main travel carry for visits to cities now is X-H1 + 8-16 which I love as a combo but is just utterly utterly bonkers in terms if size and weight - particularly for APS-C. I can't help feeling it's a Fuji plot to ease the journey to the GFX family and make it all seem so logical and sensible.

But now that I carry I can't help feeling it's a Fuji plot to ease the journey to the GFX family and make it all seem so logical and sensible.
I effectively went X-H1 to GFX, with ‘sensible’ choice of lenses, the weight increase is minimal (I had X -H1, 16-55F2.8 and 50-140F2.8), the increase in bulk though is quite significant, but all of this is more than offset by the IQ.

I think the problem Fuji have now is converting people from DSLR to their system especially when cameras like the Canon R6 are a very similar price to the X-H2S.

But at the end of the day it boils down to what you want to shoot, and the lens focal lengths required- having decided that, it’s down to brand/package/weight - it’s difficult to buy a bad camera these days, but it’s all to easy to buy the wrong one for your needs!!!

But at the end of the day it boils down to what you want to shoot, and the lens focal lengths required- having decided that, it’s down to brand/package/weight - it’s difficult to buy a bad camera these days, but it’s all to easy to buy the wrong one for your needs!!!
So true. (y)

I took the big Fuji out on a bike ride this afternoon, and I'm not quite so impressed with it. It didn't fit that well in my favourite camera bag, I could feel it on my back, whereas I don't notice with my X-T2.

However, I would be prepared to overlook that if the autofocus had been great, but I was left disappointed. I only shot two riders on one corner, 11 photos of my son - none in focus and 7 of a friend with 1 sharp and 2 others usable. I was in "bicycle" subject detection mode, and all of the pictures had the focus box over the riders face. Reviewing the images on the back of the camera they all have "Face detected" displayed. So I'm not sure why the hit rate was so low - my X-T2 would have been better!

This was the one photo I was happy with:

Partho at Sherwood Pines by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

I'll have more opportunities to experiment tomorrow, so will try without subject detection, but currently, I am not overly impressed.
When I first saw the X-H1 then I was sceptical of the size.

It's a ridiculously nice camera to use. I'd jump at a X-H2 or X-H2S if the prices fell - but I don't think we'll see that happen in the way that it did with the X-H1 because this time round Fuji got the launch schedule in the model range better sorted.

One of my objections to the X-H2/X-H2S was the loss of the ISO dial. But now that I carry the X-H1 as my main body I've got used to the idea that with the control wheels configured then top display takes over from the physical dial legends.

I do think size is an issue. I moves from MFT to Fuji because the MFT lenses and bodies were bulking up. I started with an X-T30 which is really neat in combination with the likes of the 18-55 and the 35mm F1.4 and other small lenses. My main travel carry for visits to cities now is X-H1 + 8-16 which I love as a combo but is just utterly utterly bonkers in terms if size and weight - particularly for APS-C. I can't help feeling it's a Fuji plot to ease the journey to the GFX family and make it all seem so logical and sensible.
I was expecting to hate the handling on the X-H2S, but actually don't mind it - I think I'd prefer it if ISO selection was displayed on the top LCD, as well as the main screen when setting ISO.
I effectively went X-H1 to GFX, with ‘sensible’ choice of lenses, the weight increase is minimal (I had X -H1, 16-55F2.8 and 50-140F2.8), the increase in bulk though is quite significant, but all of this is more than offset by the IQ.

I think the problem Fuji have now is converting people from DSLR to their system especially when cameras like the Canon R6 are a very similar price to the X-H2S.

Fuji seem to be nailing customer service at the moment, where I'm hearing complaints about Canon/Nikon. I am tempted to borrow an R6/70-200 for a weekend and see how I get on with that, but currently I'm leaning back towards the X-T5.

Edit - scrub that last bit, I've just seen how expensive Canon RF lenses are! Canon RF 70-200f2.8 is twice the price of the Fuji 50-140f2.8!

Last edited:
Edit - scrub that last bit, I've just seen how expensive Canon RF lenses are! Canon RF 70-200f2.8 is twice the price of the Fuji 50-140f2.8!
Just use EF glass with an adapter- my step daughter shots gigs with a brace if R6s, uses Canon EF16-35F2.8, Tamron 24-70F2.8 and Canon EF70-200F2.8 to great effect. As you say the price of RF glass is a little eye-watering

I'm not having a lot of success uploading a photo of my XT5 receipt to the Fuji eShop, (registering products for cashback and warranty.) Photo well within required size etc. Probably missing something glaringly obvious. Anyone managed to successfully register/upload pic or had similar issues?

I've found a few times that when you upload a file it looks like it hasn't worked, but if you reload the page the receipt will be there. Might be worth trying that if you haven't already? I seem to remember that happening on the last two items I registered.

I bought the 16-80 lens a few weeks ago, and it's barely been off my camera since, I'm very pleased with it. Deliberated for ages, as I'd read that the Tamron 17-70 is super sharp, and the Fuji isn't the best in the corners, but I'm happy that I made the right decision.
I traded my 18-55 lens in against a battle-weary X-T1, purely because I thought it would be good to have a weather-resistant camera to go with the lens, so that I can stay out when it rains. Not sure that the X-T1 is going to be weather-resistant any more though, the rubber door over the ports is a bit bowed. I don't really need them though, so I might just glue the cover shut for now.

Haven't had a chance to get out with the X-T1 yet, but here are some shots from my X-T30, using the 16-80:

DSCF6075.jpg

DSCF6081.jpg

DSCF6083.jpg

Back