The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

was out yesterday to watch the Paisley Mod Stuff scooter ride out, and had the XT2 and 23mm 1.4 with me.These guys have picked the correct place to cause a traffic violation.
View attachment 76056
Love this capture..........it's the guys face looking on top right of the building does it for me! Well caught Allan.

I know they are not correct. But I thought I could use poetic licence. TBH I never thought anyone else would know them so intimately as to know that I was wrong.
Did you see them on Friday night? Syd was there on Astronomy Domine.
Frank being a Floyd fan you should know its sacrilege to mess with the lyrics.:D There ingrained in my brain, you didn't need to post them. My son and I saw the Australian Pink Floyd last week, they were really good to be fair. And I see Waters has the us and them tour in the states next year.

Frank being a Floyd fan you should know its sacrilege to mess with the lyrics.:D There ingrained in my brain, you didn't need to post them. My son and I saw the Australian Pink Floyd last week, they were really good to be fair. And I see Waters has the us and them tour in the states next year.
Yes Sir.
Sorry Sir.
I'll try not to let it happen again, Sir.

Reactions: ASH
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear you had to do that. Never mind next time you come you can enjoy the real things in Liverpool not the schmaltz set up for the Japanese and yankee trippers off the cruise boats.
The slave museum is just a part of the Maritime Museum on the Albert Dock. Thought provoking.

The big new Museum of Liverpool is well worth a visit. Photography is allowed but don't let them see a tripod - even if you are not using it. Jobsworths in high vis jackets - you can guess the rest. Also the World Museum if you have the best part of a day to spare. Walker Art Gallery always has interesting exhibitions. The last was all about the Pre Raphaelite Brotherhood. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Holman Hunt et al. Magnificent.

Even the new Library is worth a visit. Superb new roof that is open to the public, (I have a shot of it as my phone wallpaper) and the Picton reading rooms are a must for photgraphers, but remember to sssh. Round the corner is Liverpool's treasure...a copy of Audubon's Birds of America. Worth £10million!!!! and you can see it, in it's bullet proof display case, but it is open to see.

Two Cathedrals, and the new Catholic (Metroplitan) has some superb stained glass and other modern architecture. The Proddy one is traditional but glorious in it's own way. You can also get to the top of the main tower.

Docklands and Pier Head are always interesting, and if you like street scenes the place is full of interest. Go on a Saturday afternoon and get shots of the girls walking round town with their hair in curlers. Yes, you heard right.

So much that I can't remember it all.

Yes a bit cheesy I know but I'm not opposed to a bit of fun and light entertainment. :p

Thanks for all your recommendations of places to see and visit, will make a note of them.

Took the family to the Chinese State Circus today. This was my first opportunity to try the XT1 in low and variable lighting.

The first shot is at ISO6400 and the second one was at ISO3200. I found that I had to dial in some negative compensation to control the exposure due to the many lights in the tent which made shooting tricky but not impossible.

Chinese State Circus by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Chinese State Circus 2 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Went out & about with the Samyang 12mm F2.0 yesterday that i purchased on the forum from Rosedalelad a few days ago to use on my X-T10 & must say that i'm loving this lens.:fuji:
16771-1477250178-3f7c0f02cce0ebc505025f5d1e190c5a.jpg

Went out & about with the Samyang 12mm F2.0 yesterday that i purchased on the forum from Rosedalelad a few days ago to use on my X-T10 & must say that i'm loving this lens.:fuji:
16771-1477250178-3f7c0f02cce0ebc505025f5d1e190c5a.jpg

Lovely shot - I so nearly bought that lens too!
Sort of glad I didn't thats a better landscape than I've ever taken

Last edited:
Lovely shot - I so nearly bought that lens too!
Having been within a hair of buying a 10-24 before deciding it was beyond my reach, I'd genuinely consider this as a wide alternative.

This does its case no harm, certainly!

With many jumping to the XT-2, it seems a great time to buy used XT-1, I've seen many of them posted up locally for good prices. How is the XT-1 by today's standards? Say, as a main body? I am a Nikon shooter, have been for years, and own a D800E. But it's not getting much use lately. I have a duffed back, and been pondering a long time on a change to a lighter system. I had the X100s a few years back and loved it. I guess I'm asking ... how good is the XT-1 with regard to ISO performance, overall image quality, how intuitive are the controls etc ...?

I am going to look through this thread, but that'll take some time so I'm just throwing the question out there first :)

Having been within a hair of buying a 10-24 before deciding it was beyond my reach, I'd genuinely consider this as a wide alternative.

This does its case no harm, certainly!

Thats why I considered it so much, had I not been building up my Fuji lenses I would have and may well if another pops up.

With many jumping to the XT-2, it seems a great time to buy used XT-1, I've seen many of them posted up locally for good prices. How is the XT-1 by today's standards? Say, as a main body? I am a Nikon shooter, have been for years, and own a D800E. But it's not getting much use lately. I have a duffed back, and been pondering a long time on a change to a lighter system. I had the X100s a few years back and loved it. I guess I'm asking ... how good is the XT-1 with regard to ISO performance, overall image quality, how intuitive are the controls etc ...?

I am going to look through this thread, but that'll take some time so I'm just throwing the question out there first :)

I bought myself an XT1 last week for similar reasons as you have suggested. I've been a Nikon user since 2008, i now find that I'm using my camera less and less. Main reason being the weight of the kit. I've still got my Nikon gear and have no plans on selling it....at the moment but I can see a time when it will just not be viable or sensible to hang on to it.

I've only been out a couple of times with the XT1 with 18-135mm but have to say I loved it. The added bonus being it is half the weight of my Nikon D610 with the Tamron 28-75. I didn't have a clue as to how to set it up but found it not too bad to be fair. Yes it's different from Nikon but fairly intuitive, once you know where each dial, switch, button is it is fairly straight forward. You already know what what each one does so you're half way there. I was quite blown away with the image quality to be honest, focusing is a doddle. I was advised by these good people on here to make use of YouTube and recommended a book which I ordered from Amazon. I'm not at home right now and can't remember title but I'm sure you will find it if you do a search.

I didn't buy second hand though did keep a look out on the classifieds but kept missing the good buys. In the end I bought new from Panamoz, good price and a three year guarantee.

I have the D750 and XT1 so would be a 'fairly' similar setup to what you would be looking at. In terms of overall camera performance (AF both static and moving, controls/functions, speed, etc) the XT1 is still quite a way off the D750. The XT1 is very good, but the D750 is outstanding. In terms of image quality they are quite different beasts TBH. The Nikon tends to be very accurate, sometimes bordering clinical whereas the Fuji can often have a more pleasing quality. This is obviously lens and subject dependant too. For people pics, if I had the right lens I'd probably choose the fooj over the Nikon, skin tones are nicer.

Noise handling and dynamic range is noticeably better on the D750 imo, I've actually been a little disappointed in the Fuji noise handling as I'd read reports on how good it is, but it's really not much better (if at all) than the EM5-II I had. Granted still pretty decent, but some way off the D750.

Controls on the Fuji are pretty quick to pick up TBH, after all most are laid out in front of you ;)

Last edited:
Any londeners here? Am with the family doing the Warner brothers tour in Watford, then grabbing a hotel in Borehamwood. We wanna duck into town tomorrow as the kids have never seen Westminster, buck palace and all that. What's the cheapest/easiest way? I don't mind driving in, but wouldn't know where to park. Alternatively we can park at a station and train it in, but I have no idea where best to approach from etc...
Any advice?

I would jump on the M40/A40, park at Hillingdon station and take the Piccadilly line into town. Green park is a 5-10 minute walk from the Palace. You can walk to Westminister from the Palace.

Keith, I've had both a D800 + D810 in the past, I'm so glad I've moved to the Fuji X system, the Fooji files are (for me) fantastic colours wise, more punch/vibrant compared to the dull/lifeless Nikon files to be honest.

The Fuji X system has actually made me more creative with my personal photography, strange I know.........but it has!!!!! The XF lenses are optically stunning to be honest, plenty of lens choices, and it's the same battery which fits ALL the X bodies.......a very neat thing, I love it.

I'll not be returning to Nikon as I've personally found the camera system I adore, fabulous I must say......... I'm having a ball......!!!!!

Regards;
Pete

Last edited:
Certainly a lot to think over. I have to say i am highly tempted. I cleaned my D800 the other day, and was thinking "when's the last time i brought you out for a proper shoot?" [yes, i talk to my gear :D ] And sadly the answer is 'A while ...' Sure, I pull it out now and then when something pops up ... an event usually, or something unusual happens in the garden or the very odd snap of the kids. I feel sad that my lust for photography has waned over time, and it's not the gear's fault - but it doesn't help when the gear is just heavy and a chore to pack up and carry for longer periods. I think the Fuji system is classical, inviting, cool and looking through this thread, some of the images are really impressive. They could easily have been shot with a high end dslr. I would mostly miss the intense quality of the D800E, and the crop-ability, but I'm always telling myself that's just bloody laziness too :)

Noise handling and dynamic range is noticeably better on the D750 imo, I've actually been a little disappointed in the Fuji noise handling as I'd read reports on how good it is, but it's really not much better (if at all) than the EM5-II I had. Granted still pretty decent, but some way off the D750.

Thing is, I have never been overly impressed with the D800E's low light performance. The D750 is probably a lot better. It's ok, I mean I can shoot at ISO 1600 no problem, I just know I'll have to do a little clean up in post. I have shot gigs at ISO 5000 and got decent results, but again, with clean up in post. No matter the camera I have most of my RAWs are going through LR anyway :)

Last edited:
I'm a bit behind the times but I'm loving the film type processing at the mo (y)

Ha, cheers! I find Fuji files work very well with Lightroom film filters.

As already stated, beautiful processing, this has to be 'Classic Chrome' right.....? That would print large and look awesome! Stunning work.

Pete

Many thanks Pete :) This was actually Pro Neg Std. with a Polaroid film filter, bit of warmth and fade added with vignetting. Would have preferred the subject a little further away to be honest, but the 50mm is fairly long on crop.

Anyone on here tried OCF with the T2?
I had a play this morning using my Canon 580EXII flashes and Yongnuo RF 603 triggers. I can't seem to find FEC on the T2. Anyone else used it? I had to under expose and reduce flash power to 1/8 to get the black background.
Any suggestions anyone?

FUJI1838
by mickledore on Talk Photography

Anyone on here tried OCF with the T2?
I had a play this morning using my Canon 580EXII flashes and Yongnuo RF 603 triggers. I can't seem to find FEC on the T2. Anyone else used it? I had to under expose and reduce flash power to 1/8 to get the black background.
Any suggestions anyone?

FUJI1838
by mickledore on Talk Photography
Ok i might be having a special moment here but if you have no connection to the flash other than dumb triggers then i dont think you will be able to do FEC.
What you have done instead would be the normal route when using manual flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back