The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi All. Long time no post. Nice to see this thread is still going strong after 2 years!

Yesterday I pulled the shutter trigger and ordered a new X-T1 for £689 with a 18-135mm lens and 32G ultra fast card. Those cash back deals really help make this kit affordable.

Yes I'm late to the party - but the camera will last me another 5 years - had to apply patience and restraint to wait for the right price. My X10 has always done what it said on the tin.

I will need to grab a 60mm Macro lens to compliment the 18-135mm. I must admit the 56mm portrait lens looks lush - but in practice I'd do better with a 35mm prime for street stuff. Will save me a bit of cash too - the 56mm ain't cheap :eek:

I have to wait for delivery, before starting to post photos. Not sure how long some of you have been using this forum, but I had lots of fun in the X10 thread. I hope to do the same in this thread :)

There are still many XT-1 users here - I for one am very happy with mine. I hope you'll find it an excellent camera and the 18-135 is a good lens too.

Can someone tell me which standalone version of Lightroom supports the X-T10 please.

Thanks,
AL

Hi All. Long time no post. Nice to see this thread is still going strong after 2 years!

Yesterday I pulled the shutter trigger and ordered a new X-T1 for £689 with a 18-135mm lens and 32G ultra fast card. Those cash back deals really help make this kit affordable.

Yes I'm late to the party - but the camera will last me another 5 years - had to apply patience and restraint to wait for the right price. My X10 has always done what it said on the tin.

I will need to grab a 60mm Macro lens to compliment the 18-135mm. I must admit the 56mm portrait lens looks lush - but in practice I'd do better with a 35mm prime for street stuff. Will save me a bit of cash too - the 56mm ain't cheap :eek:

I have to wait for delivery, before starting to post photos. Not sure how long some of you have been using this forum, but I had lots of fun in the X10 thread. I hope to do the same in this thread :)

It's a top piece of kit, plenty enough for anyone IMO. I sold off my heavier Nikon gear and bought an XT-1 and a couple of lenses. Much happier since tbh. I believe in the old cliches, it's not the camera but the photographer makes the image. You can have all the fancy high end stuff ya like and still be unhappy, in fact I think it makes some photographers more unhappy. As they feel more pressured to deliver constantly.

I would probably skip the 60mm though. There's much cheaper ways to get into macro. You could get an old manual focus macro lens and adapter, as with close in macro work you want to manual focus mostly anyway. Look up the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 for example. You can get a good copy of that with a Nikon to Fuji X adapter for less than £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-55m...428540?hash=item43f95cf87c:g:OHsAAOSwImRYLtWG

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

Thanks and nice to hear :)

I trust Fuji and the X10 has been a dream. The X-T1 is a step up in quality and functionality whilst still remaining quite compact. I'm sure I will be happy. I don't ask for much. I'm not a pixel peeper. A camera is just a tool - the person behind is responsible for taking good shots, or not :LOL:

I believe in the old cliches, it's not the camera but the photographer makes the image. You can have all the fancy high end stuff ya like and still be unhappy, in fact I think it makes some photographers more unhappy. As they feel more pressured to deliver constantly.

:agree: Great minds and all that. Seems we crossed posts!

I would probably skip the 60mm though. There's much cheaper ways to get into macro. You could get an old manual focus macro lens and adapter, as with close in macro work you want to manual focus mostly anyway. Look up the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 for example. You can get a good copy of that with a Nikon to Fuji X adapter for less than £100

Wow - I didn't know that. Last time I had interchangeable lenses I was a teenager. I'm now double that age :eek:

I will search around - :ty:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-55m...428540?hash=item43f95cf87c:g:OHsAAOSwImRYLtWG

60mm is also a lovely portrait lens, though. I sold mine to get the 56mm and I am still not sure it was a good move. Firmware updates have really improved the focus speed on the 60, which used to be glacial. Damien Lovegrove had a gallery of gorgeous shots taken with the 60mm. But to be fair he doesn't seem to use it as much any more.

Can someone tell me which standalone version of Lightroom supports the X-T10 please.

Thanks,
AL

I'm using LR 5.7 and it handles XT-1 RAF files no problem [since I repaired my main laptop at least] - it struggled a bit on my older i3, slowed to a crawl at times and would take an age and a half to show the images clear. But on this one, which is an i7, 8GB RAM laptop, it's smooth as. It's handling the files very well for me, I was pondering on upgrading to the online version but see no immediate need.

60mm is also a lovely portrait lens, though. I sold mine to get the 56mm and I am still not sure it was a good move. Firmware updates have really improved the focus speed on the 60, which used to be glacial. Damien Lovegrove had a gallery of gorgeous shots taken with the 60mm. But to be fair he doesn't seem to use it as much any more.

The old 55 Nikon will also be wonderful for portraits, it is fully manual focus but mirrorless cameras make that a doddle really. Especially with shorter lenses. I have a beastly 1.2KG 150mm macro lens that I adapted to Fuji, now that one is tricky hand holding, but very manageable. A 55 will be a cinch :) I also just got an old 58mm F2 Russian lens and currently playing about with that. It is much, much easier get quick MF with than my big hefty macro.

You save a lot of money, and the results will be just as good. That 55 2.8 micro is a classic. There's an f/3.5 version too for even cheaper.

Last edited:
There's a new "like post" system introduced since I last used this forum. Gimmick, or a goal associated with this function?

The old 55 Nikon will also be wonderful for portraits, it is fully manual focus but mirrorless cameras make that a doddle really. Especially with shorter lenses. I have a beastly 1.2KG 150mm macro lens that I adapted to Fuji, now that one is tricky hand holding, but very manageable. A 55 will be a cinch :) I also just got an old 58mm F2 Russian lens and currently playing about with that. It is much, much easier get quick MF with than my big hefty macro.

You save a lot of money, and the results will be just as good. That 55 2.8 micro is a classic. There's an f/3.5 version too for even cheaper.

The best portrait I have of my daughter is with the 60mm, the second best with an old Russian MF lens, so you can certainly go either way. But with my bad eyesight and a moving target my hit rate with MF is too low

Thanks Ian - what sort of range can I use the 60mm with before I start to get quality degradation? Most of my street shot work is portrait based anyway. If the speed has been improved to the level you suggest, perhaps I could skip the 35mm?

Last edited:
The best portrait I have of my daughter is with the 60mm, the second best with an old Russian MF lens, so you can certainly go either way. But with my bad eyesight and a moving target my hit rate with MF is too low

Which Russian lens? I just got the Helios 44-2

The like system has been in place since I can remember

Thanks Ian - what sort of range can I use the 60mm with before I start to get quality degradation? Most of my street shot work is portrait based anyway. Perhaps I could skip the 35mm?

Not sure I am the right person to answer this - I don't really look at the details of my shots, I am more interested in whether I capture something of the subject. I mostly do head and shoulder length portraits and it is fine at that range. Big advantage of a macro over a normal prime is you can get in very tight before minimum focus distances bind. To be fair, I've not come across that with the fuji 56mm but when I shot full-frame canon I switched from their 85 prime to a 100 macro for just that reason. Mr Lovegrove's gallery might help you:

http://www.lovegrovephotography.com/fujifilm-xf-60mm-pictures/

Thanks Ian - what sort of range can I use the 60mm with before I start to get quality degradation? Most of my street shot work is portrait based anyway. If the speed has been improved to the level you suggest, perhaps I could skip the 35mm?
I forgot to say - the 35mm is my favourite fuji lens of all. Get's knocked a bit for all sorts of issues but either i've been lucky with my copy or I use it differently to most.

I've got no complaints over that park avenue shot! Exactly the style I work for (without the posed model).

Some the other shots, gave me thoughts, I shouldn't be having at work o_O

Mr Lovegrove is a talented photographer. Thanks for the link.

I forgot to say - the 35mm is my favourite fuji lens of all. Get's knocked a bit for all sorts of issues but either i've been lucky with my copy or I use it differently to most.

How does the 35mm compare against the 60mm for Macro and Portrait? e.g. I imagine the 35mm is a faster lens - but maybe not much noticeable difference now the software updates are available for the 60mm?

How does the 35mm compare against the 60mm for Macro and Portrait? e.g. I imagine the 35mm is a faster lens - but maybe not much noticeable difference now the software updates are available for the 60mm?

I didn't have the 60mm for long enough to benefit from all the af upgrades but the 35 was always faster. My portrait shots are mainly posed so speed wasn't a huge issue

The only real difference I see in your comparison is one shot was sharper because it was stopped down. You would have got a much closer match if you stopped the 56 down. So it shows nothing really. Only maybe that a Fuji cam with lens at a fraction of the cost can easily match a Leica.
rush job because im so busy in work. both wide open roughly same focal length all sharpening contrast adjustments at zero. one with OS on the other with it on. All underexposed sorry.

Thanks,
AL

Here you go Al, Its version 6.1 for the XT-10, had to update mine from version 3

rush job because im so busy in work. both wide open roughly same focal length all sharpening contrast adjustments at zero. one with OS on the other with it on. All underexposed sorry.

I presume this is the 27m comparison? confused me with the post you quoted :D

Hard to tell which is which, good sign for the 18-55 then

I presume this is the 27m comparison? confused me with the post you quoted :D

Hard to tell which is which, good sign for the 18-55 then
Yeah sorry rushing again just quoting the first message i saw from you. I'll try again when i have time but i agree nothing in it really from these pictures. I'll try them at f8 which i'll be shooting the 27 on the street.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="souldeep, post: 7642588, member: 49553"
Some the other shots, gave me thoughts, I shouldn't be having at work o_O
[/QUOTE]

Mrs Lovegrove must have great faith in her husband's willpower. He certainly chooses good models.

I wonder how mental I'd be considered if I was to go back to my X-T1 as main camera and convert the T2 to infra red. Hmm..

That sounds like a good result Sir, be good to have you around and looking forward to seeing some of your images.(y)

George.

I believe in the old cliches, it's not the camera but the photographer makes the image. You can have all the fancy high end stuff ya like and still be unhappy, in fact I think it makes some photographers more unhappy. As they feel more pressured to deliver constantly.
I feel that no matter what gear I use tbh. Worst thing is the only pressure comes from myself :runaway:

The old 55 Nikon will also be wonderful for portraits, it is fully manual focus but mirrorless cameras make that a doddle really.

:plus1: Superb lens on X-T1/2 Keith, I use my old manual 55mm F2.8 Micro Nikkor frequently on my units.(y)

George.

I half considered doing it the other way round.

That was always my intention when I purchased the T2 but...

Why that way round?

I find the T2 a bit underwhelming to be honest. It has better detail but everything else seemed to look better in the T1 to me, colour, tone, smoothness. I suppose really selling it and getting another T1 would make more sense, and using the change to buy those progrey filters!

That was always my intention when I purchased the T2 but...
The only thing that stopped me was the question of how much I'd use it if converted.
I have an old 40D converted but it's a bulky thing and I seldom take it out. It's converted for false colour, but the novelty of that soon wears off. Converting for mono always seems a bit of a waste given the excellent mono programmes now available. I probably won't bother, but can let you ahve a 40D if you're interested!

I wonder how mental I'd be considered if I was to go back to my X-T1 as main camera and convert the T2 to infra red. Hmm..
I'd be selling the XT2 and buying something cheaper to convert tbh.

2016_1129_14134100-01.jpeg

Forgive the poor photo, but for those that were wondering about the strap I made, here's a pic.
End to end it measures 450mm, with the woven part measuring 260mm plus another 30-40mm each end trailing off to the lanyard knots. Long loop is about 110mm.

The small loop is just big enough to slide over the woven part with resistance, so can go as tight as needed, the lanyard knot stops it coming too loose.

Back