The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tempting fate worked then! Don't be fooled though, this is a poor arsenal side which needs major work.

transfer deadline day and you have to laugh at all the "stories" that come in.

Someone twitters defoe going to liverpool and then it's retweeted all over and all of a sudden it becomes a story that defoe might be going to liverpool.

Bloody insanity

Darren Bent being touted on TalkSport for liverpool too

ha comical.

"I've just seen defoe eating chips and curry outside anfield"

or

"Breaking news, darren bent just walked past me at liverpool train station"

someone just saw Torres in Sunderland ... he was aiming for Newcastle, but missed! :D

I see fergie has kept his usual behaviour of doing little to nothing in January.

He's offloaded Ravel Morrison, which wont go down too well with a lot of fans.

i thought he might do something this time, given the circumstances of the competitions man u have been kicked out of this year.

When was the last time at this stage of the season man u were out of the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions league?

It's been a few years since we were out of the Champions League this early.

I just hope that it's Fergie's wisdom that has kept the purse shut rather than the Glazers hiding it. SAF has pulled it off often enough and surprised most people with squad decisions :D

i thought he might do something this time, given the circumstances of the competitions man u have been kicked out of this year.

You could argue there's less need to do anything (in January) because of not having to fight on all fronts. It's all about calm evolution at United, let it flow over a period and consider the longer term. The squad isn't under the degree of pressure (only having league games) as it normally would be at this stage of the season so unless there was already a January target - it will be a case of getting to the end of the year and taking stock once we've got the team / squad back to the full.

Last edited:
He's offloaded Ravel Morrison, which wont go down too well with a lot of fans.

I've mixed views about Morrison leaving.

No question he's been a bright light in the reserves and has a big future but he's been a bit of a numpty with his behaviour and contract demands. I guess Fergie has decided enough is enough and has (rightly or wrongly) decided that first team footy at West Ham (with his buddy Allardyce) is a good move.

PS

Just saw Everton were beating City with a few mins left. Hope they can hold out !

Last edited:
Good news is that Liverpool win by 3 goals, bad news that city lost and united won

Swings and roundabouts I suppose

I've mixed views about Morrison leaving.

No question he's been a bright light in the reserves and has a big future but he's been a bit of a numpty with his behaviour and contract demands. !

He's lucky not to be in jail - witness intimidation - nice guy. I think Fergie probably thinks if he stays in Manchester he stays with the same crowd = jail - so may as well sell him now.

Seriously Joe, you're more bothered that United are joint first than excited about Chelsea dropping 2 points? I actually do believe that Liverpool might get that 4th place afterall

Cisse and Zamora - Taiwo and Onuoah, Diakete (admit I don't know too much about him) + Traore and Tarrabt coming back from African Nations - could have almost 7 new or returning players for the weekend :D.

Will have some pace up front as well - be interesting to see if we play Raore on the wing and Taiwo at left back. We certainly have a lot more pace, especially in attack now.

Sad to see Martin Rowlands let go - one of my favourite players of the last decade.

See Blackburn have signed Orr off us - an odd signing from their perspective :thinking:

Seriously Joe, you're more bothered that United are joint first than excited about Chelsea dropping 2 points? I actually do believe that Liverpool might get that 4th place afterall

I think Chelsea need Drogba back - I'm still not sure why they let Anelka go with the Cup of Nations coming.

Cisse and Zamora - Taiwo and Onuoah, Diakete (admit I don't know too much about him) + Traore and Tarrabt coming back from African Nations - could have almost 7 new or returning players for the weekend :D.

Will have some pace up front as well - be interesting to see if we play Raore on the wing and Taiwo at left back. We certainly have a lot more pace, especially in attack now.

Sad to see Martin Rowlands let go - one of my favourite players of the last decade.

See Blackburn have signed Orr off us - an odd signing from their perspective :thinking:

I can't actually work out why Traore's a defender. He keeps giving the ball away in his own half yet, once he goes forward, he invariably gets past the defence and puts dangerous crosses in. As a defender, he makes a great winger!

I also had a soft spot for Rowlands but I think one too many injuries made it too difficult to fully come back. Good luck to him though.

I can't work out Orr's move either. :shrug:

Should have gone to Scunthorpe... then he'd have been 'Iron Orr'..... :bonk::wave:

1-1 draw tonight at home to the rivals (spits, curses, hides bottom). Defensive error cost us. But a much better performance.

I see Wet Sham have signed 1000 strikers... on the evening that they let in 5 goals! 'Big Sam', where do I start....

I thought you'd be more concerned about chelsea getting a point ?

Of course liverpools position is more important, hence why i mentioned it first, if i was more concerned about united I would have said that first.

1st priority is liverpool getting 4th
2nd priority is liverpool winning FA cup
3rd priority is liverpool winning carling cup
4th priority is man u not winning the prem.
5th priority is man u not winning europa league (although, it's kind of like the booby prize, much like the carling cup is)

Last edited:
So Joe, your honest opinion on Cisse?

well, he's quite inconsistent of late, he can be great and he can be totally ineffective, a bit like berbatov, although not as skilled. I think his facial hair gets him more noticed these days than his skill, kind of like the way everyone knows edgar davids for his style, but really he wasn't the greatest player.

I think his best days are behind him when he was at liverpool, but he is very capable of getting important goals so he could end up helping qpr get to mid table.

and by the way tiler we need a new ale bet for tonight since we forgot to do it yesterday, here are my picks for this evening, any of them you disagree with and are willing to bet an ale on, your choice this time

villa - qpr (draw)
blackburn - newcastle (newcastle to win)
bolton - arsenal (draw)
fulham - wb (fulham to win)
sunderland - norwich (sunderland to win)

and by the way tiler we need a new ale bet for tonight since we forgot to do it yesterday, here are my picks for this evening, any of them you disagree with and are willing to bet an ale on, your choice this time

villa - qpr (draw)
blackburn - newcastle (newcastle to win)
bolton - arsenal (draw)
fulham - wb (fulham to win)
sunderland - norwich (sunderland to win)

qpr win
blackburn win
arsenal win
fulham draw
sunderland win

Most points wins? Is that OK? You only score points if you correctly picked the result. 3 for a win, 1 for a draw.

qpr win
blackburn win
arsenal win
fulham draw
sunderland win

Most points wins? Is that OK? You only score points if you correctly picked the result. 3 for a win, 1 for a draw.

ok, and then you get a win for the week so that we don't have to tally up points every week.

Exactly Joe, I think it will be easier than just selecting one game.

Groan.

Normally I don't drink anything that doesn't originally come from a cask, but I'll let you off on this one

Some good fixtures tonight:

Arsenal and Newcastle level on points and both looking to leapfrog Liverpool with wins against Bolton & Blackburn who are just a point apart.

Fulham V West Brom (just a point apart) and Sunderland V Norwich (2 points apart) makes it an interesting night.

Groan.

Normally I don't drink anything that doesn't originally come from a cask, but I'll let you off on this one
I would hate for you to become narrow minded on the tastes of the world. Be daring Joe.

qpr win
blackburn win
arsenal win
fulham draw
sunderland win

Ok think we need to reassess this point thing, why should you only get 1 point for correctly picking a draw? And 3 points for correctly picking a win.

It should just be 1 point if you picked the right result

Last edited:
well 4 out of 5 aint bad, guess I'm drinking belgium beer this weekend!

that's 2-0 to me

well 4 out of 5 aint bad, guess I'm drinking belgium beer this weekend!

that's 2-0 to me

I think you can be forgiven for feeling a wee bit hard done by there Joe.

You would have had to put up with me but on the menu tonight at our place - 4 of the 8 real ales casks currently serving Inveralmond at promotion prices.

http://www.inveralmond-brewery.co.uk/our-beers.html

Great mix and local.

Last edited:
Up until the 82nd minute I had 5 out if 5!

I got to say phil, I am yet to find a single beer brewed in Scotland that I liked, but they have all been in a bottle so still looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back