The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading off shortly for QPR v Chelsea - a 5pm KO would have had an electric atmosphere. 12 KO if most people are like me (hungover still) it may not be quite the same ferocity as the last game against our beloved neighbours.

Missing arguably our two most creative players, Tarrabt and Faurlin, going to be tough.On paper, should be an easy Chelsea win. On grass of course strange things can happen!

Heading off shortly for QPR v Chelsea - a 5pm KO would have had an electric atmosphere. 12 KO if most people are like me (hungover still) it may not be quite the same ferocity as the last game against our beloved neighbours.

Missing arguably our two most creative players, Tarrabt and Faurlin, going to be tough.On paper, should be an easy Chelsea win. On grass of course strange things can happen!

Just hope that any headlines are about the football. Will be interesting to see how Neds gets on if he plays today. It certainly won't be a tragedy if we lose but the confidence boost from a win would be incredible. Interesting times ahead at Loftus Rd and at least Taraabt and Traore will be home from the African Nations early.

Joe, are we having a virtual real ale pint bet on the match?

Maybe we could do this every Saturday and pick a random fixture when it is not Utd v Li'pool and play for that pint, winner is the most pints by the end of the FA cup final.

Yup, sounds like a plan. This week we are betting on a pint of tribute

Dexy101 said:
Again, I can't find the game on tv. Am I missing something lol

United v Liverpool is itv 1 if that's the game you mean.

Liverpool opting for 3 at the back...could be an interesting decision!

Hugely impressed by the way rafael has played so for, he's been the best man on the pitch by a large margin. Park and Wellbeck have had little influence so far and Kelly has contained Giggs and Evra superbly down that right side. Really enjoyable game for the neutral like myself and probably both sets of fans too.

Skyrtel looks like the liability at the back to me. I sense the next united goal will come from his mistake

Unusual to see Liverpool play so defensively at home but probably have to give Scholes and Carrick some plus points for the way they are passing . Might change 2nd half though.

Last edited:
We're looking in control but need to get another goal. Scholes and Giggs will start to feel it soon and Liverpool have far more on the bench than us.

Looking at the replay maxi was lucky not to see red based on recent precedent for two-footed, studs-up lunges! Interesting to also see the ball bounce from knee to hand and be forgiven unlike against city recently. It's a strange old game and I'm not sure things do balance themselves out over a season.

Liverpool were lucky...probably justified a draw but what was Mr Halsey thinking when he gave a foul for that 2 footed challenge.

You little beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In your face fergie!!!!

I'm a happy man, I shall enjoy that tribute

Ah right. Enjoy it fella :razz:

;)

Haha, fergie - "we dominated the game" "we were the better team"

Umm, nope. I think most people would agree that actually the game was very even and a draw would have been a fair result.

Makes beating him all the more enjoyable to see what a poor loser he is

I hope you choke on it Joe (in a nice virtual way of course).

I will have my revenge midweek.

Haha, fergie - "we dominated the game" "we were the better team"

Umm, nope. I think most people would agree that actually the game was very even and a draw would have been a fair result.

Makes beating him all the more enjoyable to see what a poor loser he is

He was probably talking about their 57% possession, but Liverpool certainly had more attempts on goal. :wave:

Not a bad week for us Liverpool fans! Very, very happy with the results against both Manc sides.
We desperately need Carroll to start scoring though.

I honestly dont give a monkey's what any manager/player says pre/post game

Although, It's good that we have a manager that doesn't like the team getting beat, but even better that he has a team that have a realistic chance of winning the Premiership :D

I honestly dont give a monkey's what any manager/player says pre/post game

Although, It's good that we have a manager that doesn't like the team getting beat, but even better that he has a team that have a realistic chance of winning the Premiership :D

Ever cloud has a silver lining! Who needs the fa cup anyway right? :D

Dissapointed to loose.

I went into it with fairly low expectations but on the whole I was pleased with the performance apart from the softness of the goals.

Disgusted by some fans but not surprised and I've no idea why ITV chose to subject us to frequent shots of Goofy though. Horrible little man.

I think QPR can feel a bit hard done by after that penalty.

Last edited:
Just hope that any headlines are about the football. Will be interesting to see how Neds gets on if he plays today. It certainly won't be a tragedy if we lose but the confidence boost from a win would be incredible. Interesting times ahead at Loftus Rd and at least Taraabt and Traore will be home from the African Nations early.

Game was pretty poor, hardly any chances for either team. We sat back chelsea kept possession, no-one created much. Penalty looked very soft to me, but will need to see again.

We need to give Macheda a bit longer, but I would not say he puts himself about too much.

Handshake was cancelled, bigger then usual police presence - did not see much untowards on way to the ground or in it.

Game was pretty poor, hardly any chances for either team. We sat back chelsea kept possession, no-one created much. Penalty looked very soft to me, but will need to see again.

We need to give Macheda a bit longer, but I would not say he puts himself about too much.

Handshake was cancelled, bigger then usual police presence - did not see much untowards on way to the ground or in it.

Glad to hear there were no problems on the non football side, shame there wasn't too much excitement on the pitch though.

I watched bits of it via a feed but missed the penalty (had nipped to the loo :bonk:) so will have to watch it later but we did look pretty poor although Chelsea weren't exactly setting the world alight. I thought Young was going to force a replay at the death, just a shame they didn't show the same sense of urgency during the previous 95 minutes.

Helguson's injury is a bit of a blow though, our one consistent striker out for at least the next game.

We desperately need Carroll to start scoring though.

That may be true, but in the second half he did a fantastic job of holding the ball up and releasing the ball to players running on.

Also for the winner, he did a great job it was no flick on and hope for the best, the close up shows he had the awareness of Kuyt and his run to gentle guide it into his path.

More performances like that and am sure he will get his chances to score as well as playing an important role in goals.

I am a football fan, I am probably racist to some degree but then who isn't but how is this newsworthy or racist without providing us with more evidence regarding the matter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16775767

I am all for stamping down on offences but how is his photo helping the situation?

We all have photos ....some even long lens stuff like this....that can twist a shot to look like it means something else.

Get a grip newspapers or we will all be dooooooooooooomed.

fabs said:
I don't think that photo is supposed to be of the actual gesture, just something to try and identify the guy.

And I'm not racist to any degree thank you. ;)

Exactly, speak for yourself.

I don't think that photo is supposed to be of the actual gesture, just something to try and identify the guy.

And I'm not racist to any degree thank you. ;)

Exactly, speak for yourself.

Blah Blah (in a nice way) but watch what you say or write because we all say and write things subconsciously as well as overtly.

My points stands................we all shout abuse whether it is needed/just/wrong or plain stupid, sometimes we say what we don't mean.

As per the photo...I have obviously seen the full version and I still don't know if we can prove that he is being racist............. where does it say we can't gesture like an ape?..... how come none of the other members of the public in the photo are disgusted with his actions or even looking at his actions...it all looks a little strange to me. Can we prove that this was in fact a bone fide photo from today relating to racism?

The video of the guy doing the monkey thing - there will always be one idiot.

It was Liverpool's "There's only one lying b*****d" song that amused me. I thought the investigation revealed it was both Suarez and Kuyt who changed their statements.

Joking aside - the booing of Evra was expected but still fairly moronic when all he did was report Suarez for saying something he's since admitted to.

Daglish was quick to play down the fans actions today calling it 'friendly banter' but It was pretty rough from both sets of fans.

The "Racist b*****d" version of the "Louis Suarez" song was clear to hear from United fans and they also replied with the "he said it seven times" song every time the "There's only one lying b*****d" song was directed at Evra.

The old favourites were there too and I picked up on Munich songs, Hillsborough songs and Murderer songs.

There were reports of United fans arrested for spitting and urinating on the Hillsborough memorial but this has thankfully been denied and turned out to a story started by a Liverpool fan on twitter.

Ho hum.

Anyway - away from today's games.....

Jose Mourinho by all accounts is leaving Madrid at the end of the season to return to England. I wonder where he will go ?

Brian Marwood, the City football administrator reveals Liverpool enquired about Tevez on Thursday and also offered Andy Carroll.

Last edited:
It really doesn't help when people keep talking about these things and the media cling to any tread of a story like it. It just gives these idiots more attention.

Maybe I will be proved wrong in 2nd half but yet again today shows Wenger has to go. Why have we not got a finisher like Bent? why can we not defend set pieces ? Why can we not defend full stop? Why Fabianski, liability at best!!!

With the Mancs out, a great chance to win a trophy. Maybe even our only chance for Euro football. Yet we look poor.

Lacking quality defs, lacking quality mids, and only RVP up top.

Schezney, vermalen, Wiltshire and RVP aside I don't think any other arsenal players would get into any of the other top 4 sides.

If only the board had some balls and swapped wenger with Jose!!!

Just in the door.

I'm guessing Arsenal have got one back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back