WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Are people so stressed these days that's how they react situations like this ? Would anyone have had something to say to that chap or just let it go ?

This may sound awful, but I would have waited for them to go, and spat all over the drivers door handle, but that's just me, you can treat me like a piece of dirt and think you get away with it, but you won't........

No. I wouldn't let it go. But I can understand that some people have to and that is what they rely on. He is nothing more than a bully who spouts empty threats.

This may sound awful, but I would have waited for them to go, and spat all over the drivers door handle, but that's just me, you can treat me like a piece of dirt and think you get away with it, but you won't........
I'd never have thought of that...maybe the driver window,too...:D At least it's not criminal damage so nothing they could do. Actual damage isn't something to be recommended because these car parks have CCTV.

Many years ago a supervisor at work did me a great and undeserved disservice. A few days later he drove 260 or so miles down to Cornwall for his holidays. Two days later his vehicle became uninhabitable. It seems that some sandeels had managed to get into the ventilation grill of his Volvo. Seagulls the mechanic reckoned ;)

Many years ago a supervisor at work did me a great and undeserved disservice. A few days later he drove 260 or so miles down to Cornwall for his holidays. Two days later his vehicle became uninhabitable. It seems that some sandeels had managed to get into the ventilation grill of his Volvo. Seagulls the mechanic reckoned ;)

Thinking about it, taking the high ground and ignoring things like that and the bloke in the car park maybe, is the right option but sociologists wouldn't recommend it.

Just out of interest I Googled it and it's what I expected to read.

Are people so stressed these days that's how they react situations like this ? Would anyone have had something to say to that chap or just let it go ?
It's possible that, if you are quick witted enough to video the encounter, the person might be charged under existing legislation. The CPS has a page which describes some options...

It's possible that, if you are quick witted enough to video the encounter, the person might be charged under existing legislation. The CPS has a page which describes some options...

It would have to be something more serious than what my wife experienced. ..ie someone saying they'd sue if their vehicle was damaged. He'd claim that what he said was reasonable. I can see that in other situations there could be a case for bringing a Sec 5. prosecution.

When I was an apprentice mechanic (late 70's) we stuck a dead pigeon under the bonnet of the formans car. It was hilarious until he drove the car in, and asked one of the apprentices to "have a look at what's wrong with my heater" :ROFLMAO: :headbang:

It would have to be something more serious than what my wife experienced. ..ie someone saying they'd sue if their vehicle was damaged. He'd claim that what he said was reasonable. I can see that in other situations there could be a case for bringing a Sec 5. prosecution.

He was simply using your wife's vulnerability to big himself up. If I was there and replied along the lines of: "Are your tyres insured? Can CCTV see them?" And then mace it plain thaat I was not going anywhere. He would not have left the car there unattended while I was still present. Or your wife could have bought herself a milky coffee and accidentally spilled it down their ventilation grill while struggling to get into her car.

You have to play these people at their own game. Otherwise they win every time.

What annoyed us last night, trying to park in town for a night out
Parked in council car park put £2 in , got nothing no ticket tried paying by card machine not working, other 2 machines not working either , gave up and went to another car park couldn’t pay by cash either but accepted card payment glad we persevered had a great night out , open mic night at the pub some really talented people out there

Bloody hell. Reading this thread is like being back at Infant School.
I don't often agree with Clive but I think he has a point in this case.

He was simply using your wife's vulnerability to big himself up. If I was there and replied along the lines of: "Are your tyres insured? Can CCTV see them?" And then mace it plain thaat I was not going anywhere. He would not have left the car there unattended while I was still present. Or your wife could have bought herself a milky coffee and accidentally spilled it down their ventilation grill while struggling to get into her car.

You have to play these people at their own game. Otherwise they win every time.
That's similar to my option, but my weapon of choice is milk. It only takes a couple of days for the stench to start.

If it wound me up, I would have waited till they had gone and not been to careful about opening my door onto theirs, not going to cause mine any issue. Or have my keys hanging out my back pocket and as I move between the cars my bum rubs their car!

That's similar to my option, but my weapon of choice is milk. It only takes a couple of days for the stench to start.

Milk ? Tell me about it :rolleyes:.

We had an awful smell in the car a couple of years ago. At home, I cleaned the carpets twice to no avail. Then, one day, I thought I really must find the source of this smell. I mean, the car was new and, obviously, it wasn't there when we bought it. So I went through the inside inch by inch. Voilà. There the culprit was, jammed under the passenger seat. A burst plastic bottle of milk. How did that get there ? My wife had the answer. We'd been on a two week holiday to the Isle of Mull. Just before we boarded the ferry from Oban we went to the M&S store to get stuff to tied us over until we found a shop near where we were staying.So..what had obviously happened was that this plastic bottle of milk had rolled out of the shopping bag, which we'd put in the well of the rear nearside seat and gone under the seat and had become swollen in the heat and split.

So..yes. If you want to 'get yer own back' on someone then, if possible, pour milk on the car seat or carpet :D I've heard that sugar in the petrol tank is not good either.

Milk ? Tell me about it :rolleyes:.

We had an awful smell in the car a couple of years ago. At home, I cleaned the carpets twice to no avail. Then, one day, I thought I really must find the source of this smell. I mean, the car was new and, obviously, it wasn't there when we bought it. So I went through the inside inch by inch. Voilà. There the culprit was, jammed under the passenger seat. A burst plastic bottle of milk. How did that get there ? My wife had the answer. We'd been on a two week holiday to the Isle of Mull. Just before we boarded the ferry from Oban we went to the M&S store to get stuff to tied us over until we found a shop near where we were staying.So..what had obviously happened was that this plastic bottle of milk had rolled out of the shopping bag, which we'd put in the well of the rear nearside seat and gone under the seat and had become swollen in the heat and split.

So..yes. If you want to 'get yer own back' on someone then, if possible, pour milk on the car seat or carpet :D I've heard that sugar in the petrol tank is not good either.
It used to be quite common with company cars. If you left a company, the company car was usually back on last day. If commission, expenses,, owed holiday pay, etc was correct, the car went back OK. If not as agreed, the car went back with "milked' carpets.
If things went really pear shaped, the car was left in a short term car park at Heathrow Airport.

Ps. Plastic milk cartons are really thin. When we buy them we turn them upside down and give them a real shake before putting in the trolley.
Next time you shop, lokk at the milk in the racks, there are always a couple leaking, with a wet floor warning nearby.

Last edited:
Back onto IMPORTANT matters......

Had to go to my local tyre depot because the nearside rear was on OH's Golf was losing air..... it's an excellent depot in Bracknell (the only excellent thing about BrackHell TBH)...

It was lunchtime and rather than wait to go back to the company restaurant for pie/fish and chips or salad I'd go to Greggs near the depot

There was a queue and although the Belgian buns looked enticing (bad for a diabetic) I looked at the pasties and walked away. Postage stamp size and £2 each....I guess the filling would have been M I N I M A L....TWO POUNDS!!! I'll be lucky to get a 3% pay rise this year given our restaurant prices have gone up %20...

Salad it was....

Two quid is a bargain basement price. I paid almost a fiver for a pasty in Portsmouth when I went on the AW Photowalk. :eek:

Some people do actually like confrontation and intimidating others and if you meet someone like this there's nothing you can do without risking an escalation. On a bad day I'd have treated him to some choice phrases and this would probably have eased my angst but I wouldn't advise your wife or mine doing this. If I was with my wife I'd say nothing as she gets upset if there's even a hint of confrontation.

Just write it off as more proof that some of us are better than some others and Karma will come around sooner or later or if it happens again tell her to go back inside and tell customer services what happened and ask them to intervene as she has limited mobility. Hopefully they'd tannoy the clown and ask him to move. We can live in hope.

Oh. Mrs WW watches a monk on youtube and he says... and this does help me...

Kindness is free.
Happiness comes from within.
You can not change the past.
You do not fail until you quit.

I would say that I like the first two but I think they're all worth remembering.

Last edited:
Reminds me of something I read years ago and can't remember where...
"Karma's a bitch. Just make sure nobody's looking when you help it". :tumbleweed:

Why is it every time there is a statement made on X in the news, they have to put (formally known as Twitter). We all know by now!!

The couple of times I have seen a quote in the media that has only referred to X it has taken a few moments to twig what they mean, but that may be because I don't have an account and don't really pay it any attention in daily life.

This morning, I had notification from the DVLA (by post) that my driving licence was due for renewal soon and I could do it online which is the option I chose. I was aware that I needed to ensure that I was on the DVLA website.. I got to it but the page had five non-DVLA options. Eg..darlencar.com...bestdrivinguk .com...UK-driver-update.com. Out of interest I took a look at a couple and the questions are the same on page one. I was unable to look at the rest of the pages because I didn't enter any details. I was also hoping to see if they were making a charge. It costs £14 to renew a driving licence except for the over 70's which is free. Of course, there's a far greater incentive than money for these people who set up these alternative sites and it's the detailed information you have to input. Name-address-dob- country of birth medical conditions (a list is provided)..passport number, national insurance number, how long at home address, phone number, mother's maiden name and place of birth. I've probably forgotten a couple more. Even if those collecting this information don't use it themselves they would make a lot selling it on. I think it's the same with ESTA for entry to the US. People setting up websites offering to do the process for you. Infact, just submitting it.

I don't know if there's a way to stop these other options showing but if there is then that should be done.

I got my DVLA confirmation Email.

I don't know if there's a way to stop these other options showing but if there is then that should be done.

yes I saw these when I was trying to renew. It would be easy for the DVLA to tell the relevant ISP to drop the site with the alternative being a £1m per day fine. For some reason recent governments (parliament) do not seem to care about the rest of us.
Dave

This morning, I had notification from the DVLA (by post) that my driving licence was due for renewal soon and I could do it online which is the option I chose. I was aware that I needed to ensure that I was on the DVLA website.. I got to it but the page had five non-DVLA options. Eg..darlencar.com...bestdrivinguk .com...UK-driver-update.com. Out of interest I took a look at a couple and the questions are the same on page one. I was unable to look at the rest of the pages because I didn't enter any details. I was also hoping to see if they were making a charge. It costs £14 to renew a driving licence except for the over 70's which is free. Of course, there's a far greater incentive than money for these people who set up these alternative sites and it's the detailed information you have to input. Name-address-dob- country of birth medical conditions (a list is provided)..passport number, national insurance number, how long at home address, phone number, mother's maiden name and place of birth. I've probably forgotten a couple more. Even if those collecting this information don't use it themselves they would make a lot selling it on. I think it's the same with ESTA for entry to the US. People setting up websites offering to do the process for you. Infact, just submitting it.

I got my DVLA confirmation Email.

Did not the DVLA letter give you the address to use?

Did not the DVLA letter give you the address to use?

Yes and at the top of the page that comes up is 'best-driving -uk online.'
Apply form the comfort of your own home. No need to visit the office. Quick processing. Long-standing experience. 24/7 Assistance.

ndirect
is another listed. Facebook has a page,too. Martin Lewis's website gives the authentic url/link and that has several non-DVLA options. I just think it woul be better if no other webpage was an option but,as Dave says, it seems the DVLA have no concerns. They have to take into consideration ,especially with the over-70s that many aren't computer-savvy.

Just tried typing DVLA into my browser and it sent me straight to the dvla site with all their options, putting in road tax brings out the ‘help’ sites, like the ones who will help with passport renewal etc, I do mine (and hers) at the post office using one of the few cheques I write in a year.

Mrs WW is in Thailand for another couple of months. We talk every day on Whatsapp and one thing which has surprised me is how much UK news flashes around the world. She very often knows what's going on in the UK before I do (well, they are 6 hours ahead so she's seen and read stuff before I get up) and she knows more about it. Todays news story is Grenfell Tower. "How can this happen and who is to blame?" She asks.

I am a bit upset that people on the other side of the world now see the UK as in being in massive decline with rampant knife crime, Orwellian policing (yes, the world has seen the arrests for posts on the net whilst burglaries and machete brawls go unpunished) and mass immigration woes. These are the stories that are flashing around he world and Mrs WW's family now openly question her safety in the UK and TBH after a string of incidents here which the police were utterly uninterested in I share those worries. I also worry that the view much of the world has of the UK now will possibly affect tourism, investment and immigration of people who'd be an asset to the UK. The state of the UK is becoming an international embarrassment.

PS.
Oh I forgot... Stopping some arms sales to Israel. Right or wrong that's been seen all over the world and has got them talking too.

Last edited:
Mrs WW is in Thailand for another couple of months. We talk every day on Whatsapp and one thing which has surprised me is how much UK news flashes around the world. She very often knows what's going on in the UK before I do (well, they are 6 hours ahead so she's seen and read stuff before I get up) and she knows more about it. Todays news story is Grenfell Tower. "How can this happen and who is to blame?" She asks.

I am a bit upset that people on the other side of the world now see the UK as in being in massive decline with rampant knife crime, Orwellian policing (yes, the world has seen the arrests for posts on the net whilst burglaries and machete brawls go unpunished) and mass immigration woes. These are the stories that are flashing around he world and Mrs WW's family now openly question her safety in the UK and TBH after a string of incidents here which the police were utterly uninterested in I share those worries. I also worry that the view much of the world has of the UK now will possibly affect tourism, investment and immigration of people who'd be an asset to the UK. The state of the UK is becoming an international embarrassment.

PS.
Oh I forgot... Stopping some arms sales to Israel. Right or wrong that's been seen all over the world and has got them talking too.
I was planning on moving back to the UK when I retired some 6 years ago, but changed my mind and decided to stay here in Norway (been here since 1988) as I saw the gradual yet constant journey of the UK down the hill towards oblivion. And I am not just talking about the areas you mention, but the more general state of affairs - education, law and order, NHS - did I mention potholes? Every aspect of society, in fact.
No, despite my ardent wishes to return to the land of my birth, I shall stay put.

I was planning on moving back to the UK when I retired some 6 years ago, but changed my mind and decided to stay here in Norway (been here since 1988) as I saw the gradual yet constant journey of the UK down the hill towards oblivion. And I am not just talking about the areas you mention, but the more general state of affairs - education, law and order, NHS - did I mention potholes? Every aspect of society, in fact.
No, despite my ardent wishes to return to the land of my birth, I shall stay put.
Me too. But no ardent wish either.

PS.

When me and Mrs Fiend got married I told her where I lived, West Cumbria, was a peaceful place with no floods, very little snow and crime level was not bad and murders were very rare... In the first 12 months of her moving here we suffered a bad flood, it snowed for a few days over the winter and the Derek Bird went on the rampage killing 12 people....

Actually yesterday but still annoying, I ordered a new electric battery drill , came while we were out the Amazon delivery person just left it on the doorstep at the front of the house , we have a safe place specified but they never use it

Here's the scam Email I received, supposedly, from Evri. I haven't ordered anything from anywhere for a while. Most things I want I get through my wife's Amazon Prime account.

Evri Notification​

Hi there

We hope this message finds you well.We apologise for any inconvenience caused but our courier was unable to deliver your parcel today as nobody was present when we attempted to deliver to your address.We ask that you reschedule a new delivery date below:.

I was supposed to click on "continue'. I didn't so I don't know what lay beyond that.

Here's the response I got from Evri because they ask that if you have suspicion that such a request is a scam then let them know.

"Thank you for your report of phishing and your security minded attitude. This report will be dealt with by our Cyber Security Team, who will work with our partners to take down any associated fraudulent websites"

I thought that was quite nice, actually. They do come in for a lot of criticism so I didn't expect this response..or any tbh.

I've had two more identical Emails from the scammers since I informed Evri and assume they will give up now as they've had no response.

Parked in the usual multi storey in Stirling the other day, had lunch herself did a bit of shopping, back to the car park, card payment only! Fortunately person in the queue was good enough to pay the £2.60 and tried to refuse reimbursement, gave them £3 as the old machines gave change and I didn’t have the right money.
Parking elsewhere next time, I know a free place but the wife will have to walk 5 minutes!:eek:

Reactions: zx9
When me and Mrs Fiend got married I told her where I lived, West Cumbria, was a peaceful place with no floods, very little snow and crime level was not bad and murders were very rare... In the first 12 months of her moving here we suffered a bad flood, it snowed for a few days over the winter and the Derek Bird went on the rampage killing 12 people....

Mrs WW and her families latest worry is that they've heard that violent criminals are being released from prison so that political dissenters can be locked up. This may well be a stretch but it's what's reached Thailand and doubtless other places too. Mrs WW and family are now seriously questioning if she'll be safe in the UK.

A big shout out and Thank You to successive Labour and Conservative governments :mad:

I do still love where I live but if the choice is to stay here and be single or move to Thailand I'm going to have to think very hard. And to be clear I don't blame either the Cons or Labour for the decline of the UK, I blame them both and the whole wider ruling class.

Back