WCMUT....what cheered me up today

I went for a charger / trickle charger. It came today and it's tiny and of course it lacks the analogue needle dials my old charger had and instead has a series of led's.

I've had my old battery charger since I was a teenager (I'm 63 now) and although it was fine for my Mini I think modern batteries might be a bit too too much for it. With the old charger my MX5 was fully charged but the new one only registered one blinking led which the book said is less than 25%. Some time later and the final led is green and slowly blinking which the books tells me means that the battery is fully charged and is now being monitored and maintained and I can leave it like this and all plugged in indefinitely.

Maybe my days of flat batteries are over :D

Reactions: Nod
Not over but very possibly (?probably?) much reduced!!! Batteries can (and do) still die after some years, especially if they're allowed to go fairly flat too often.

Last edited:
I am sure that the guy thought that he was making a point and I would totally support that if it were being made in a non threatening and non violent way. There is a time when, and especially if you want to posture against police with riot shields, you need to stand further away from muppets with bad aim.

I am sure that the guy thought that he was making a point and I would totally support that if it were being made in a non threatening and non violent way. There is a time when, and especially if you want to posture against police with riot shields, you need to stand further away from muppets with bad aim.

Or very good aim!

Absolutely not! Before I take my car for test, it is cleaned and valeted, inside, outside and underneath, so that the tester doesn't even get his/her hands dirty. Everything is regularly checked and serviced. Did I mention that I used to be a transport manager and have never had one of my (or my company) vehicles fail an MOT. One of my drivers was pulled in for the random roadside check and the MOT inspector waved him straight through, saying "I'm not going to waste my time checking one of their fleet!" The advisory on my previous 20+ year old Rover just said "Stunning"!
Just click where it says "MOT history". I sold it on and it has disappeared since (mothballed perhaps?)
Full MOT with no advisories and a handshake plus a thankyou from the tester for such a clean car to test. That will do for me.

What cheered me up yesterday....

Car insurance as mentioned here

I phoned and was given a discretionary discount.

Last year's cost £412
This year's renewal offer £461
New offer with the above discount £415.....
NB figures not showing the pennies.

I was not expecting as much 'discretionary discount' so paying just £3 more to renew was very welcome :D

PS but why the heck should 'we' need to phone to discover they can give such a discount ~ c'est la vie

Looking at the reports of the anti racism "protestors", there may be some hope for us yet!

Ordered an office chair yesterday. Went with the £5 delivery (3-4 working days). The other option was £10 for next working day.

It arrived this morning. :)

Aye, that's the bit we are interested in! lol Come on, what's the chair? :D

Not today, but earlier this week.

Travelling the Lower Chertsey Road towards Richmond, in my Saab NG9-5 saw in my rear view mirror a White Van racing onto the dual carriageway, I mean racing. Tried not to engage with him, but he did pull level with me at a set of traffic lights. He looked at me, wound down his window and waved to me. All he wanted to do was to talk to me about my car, we wished each other a safe onward journey....

Despite their tarnished reputation, there are some decent WVM drivers out there.

WCMUT was a quick (early!) blatt up to Moretonhampstead then back down to Teignmouth, Dawlish and home. Only 50 or so miles but well worth it. Mrs Nod went out at 06:45 so I decided to make the most of it!

Tesla driver pulled alongside me at the lights, “is your sports car as quick as my car?” I told him it would do 30 in town and 70 on the motorway, all with the roof down” I then looked up then let the car jerk on the clutch slightly, off he went like a greyhound at a fish supper, despite the lights still being at red! Oops.

Tesla driver pulled alongside me at the lights, “is your sports car as quick as my car?” I told him it would do 30 in town and 70 on the motorway, all with the roof down” I then looked up then let the car jerk on the clutch slightly, off he went like a greyhound at a fish supper, despite the lights still being at red! Oops.
I like to do that to boy racers as well. :D

All very well until there's something coming through their green light...

Reactions: nog
WCMUT was emptying the fridge last night (apart from enough yoghurts for tonight's afters and tomorrow's breakfast. That meant we had to go out for lunch today and will be going out for supper this evening.

WWCMUT is arriving in Crete (although the bit between out front door and exiting the plane is a bit of a PITA!!!)

WCMUT was emptying the fridge last night (apart from enough yoghurts for tonight's afters and tomorrow's breakfast. That meant we had to go out for lunch today and will be going out for supper this evening.

WWCMUT is arriving in Crete (although the bit between out front door and exiting the plane is a bit of a PITA!!!)
We're off to Crete early Sept. Can't wait. (Even though theyve changed our return to a night flight. )

That's a PITA for you, Brian - but still worth it!

We arrive at around 22:00 at Heraklion then have to get to Chania. Our car hire chap is picking us up for less that 1/2 the cost of a taxi.

3 weeks of warmth to look forward to (not to mention the food etc...)

That's a PITA for you, Brian - but still worth it!

We arrive at around 22:00 at Heraklion then have to get to Chania. Our car hire chap is picking us up for less that 1/2 the cost of a taxi.

3 weeks of warmth to look forward to (not to mention the food etc...)
We will be at Gouves, the Island hotel. A about half way between Heraklion and you. We get TUI transfer but always book VIP lounge at airport for return. Such friendly people.

Chania's a couple of hours West of Heraklion while Gouves is about 10 km East, I think.

I'll get Mrs Nod to investigate the VIP lounge for next year, although a couple of years ago, we saw a rather drunken couple with a pair of brats (and I mean brats rather than kids!) heading into it...

Chania's a couple of hours West of Heraklion while Gouves is about 10 km East, I think.

I'll get Mrs Nod to investigate the VIP lounge for next year, although a couple of years ago, we saw a rather drunken couple with a pair of brats (and I mean brats rather than kids!) heading into it...
Oh sorry. I thought Chania was at the east end , near Spira Longa. I must be confusing it with somewhere else.

Thanks to my frequent flyer status with Qatar Airways we get lounge access at Manchester, Doha and Bangkok when we fly..... can't beat it!!! We also get priority check-in and boarding... :cool::cool::cool:

Oh sorry. I thought Chania was at the east end , near Spira Longa. I must be confusing it with somewhere else.

Elounda? We've stayed there a few times but prefer the Western end, despite the trek there and back from HER!
In the past, we used to rent our cars from a firm in Annisaras and Annalipsi so we'd stay in one of the flats the family had for the first and last nights but we get a better deal from the current lot.
We tend to spend our last few hours in Kokkino Hani watching the planes arriving

We don't do much High Street shopping nowadays, but we are off on holiday to Penzance soon and had to buy a medium pull along suitcase. So, mission accomplished we popped into a Turkish /International shop which we haven't visited in ages and picked up some leaftea, feta cheese and most importantly Baklava.
Just had a pistacio birds nest and a lovely piece of cashew baklava and I am going to wash it down with a cup of Darjeeling tea.
Sometimes it is the little things in life :)

I've been watching youtube rather than the TV recently and one joy is some of the things that I'd never have looked for which have popped up on my screen. Gosh knows why. I've watched some wonderful vids which IMO would be easily good and interesting enough for mainstream TV. One thing which I've watched a lot of in the last few days is what can I suppose be described as "reaction" vids. I didn't even know these existed. For those as innocent as me... in these vids a piece of music or performance is viewed and someone "reacts" giving an opinion and / or analysis. One of these reaction people is just amazing and the degree to which they analyse a vocal performance and instrumentation is just wonderful.

Another surprise is a chess player who competes in tournaments and occasionally takes on street players who don't know who they are and are often shocked by their ability. The matches are just riveting and the excited commentary certainly helps to hype it all up.

Another interesting thing is how many views some of these vids get. It's fair to say that few things on TV these days get as many views and I can now understand how some people make a good or even very good living from this.

Last edited:
I've been watching youtube rather than the TV recently and one joy is some of the things that I'd never have looked for which have popped up on my screen. Gosh knows why. I've watched some wonderful vids which IMO would be easily good and interesting enough for mainstream TV. One thing which I've watched a lot of in the last few days is what can I suppose be described as "reaction" vids. I didn't even know these existed. For those as innocent as me... in these vids a piece of music or performance is viewed and someone "reacts" giving an opinion and / or analysis. One of these reaction people is just amazing and the degree to which they analyse a vocal performance and instrumentation is just wonderful.

Another surprise is a chess player who competes in tournaments and occasionally takes on street players who don't know who they are and are often shocked by their ability. The matches are just riveting and the excited commentary certainly helps to hype it all up.

Another interesting thing is how many views some of these vids get. It's fair to say that few things on TV these days get as many views and I can now understand how some people make a good or even very good living from this.

I don't watch live TV anymore (ditched the licence in 2020 after the dire performance by the BBC, Linekar and co with MotD), so watch a lot of youtube stuff - history, technology, food recipes, restaurant reviews, golf channels (Rick Shiels, Peter Finch, Jimmy Bullard etc), motoring etc. I find it far more stimulating than the TV was.

I don't watch live TV anymore (ditched the licence in 2020 after the dire performance by the BBC, Linekar and co with MotD), so watch a lot of youtube stuff - history, technology, food recipes, restaurant reviews, golf channels (Rick Shiels, Peter Finch, Jimmy Bullard etc), motoring etc. I find it far more stimulating than the TV was.

My conventional terrestrial channel TV viewing has pretty much dropped to zero. I don't know how youtube pick things to show me, I assume there are algorithms based on past activity and purchases etc but why for example show me a chess player when AFAIK I've never ever searched for anything chess related? Perhaps other people in the same demographic have searched for similar things or does youtube throw the odd totally random thing at people shotgun style to see if they stick? Who knows.

And as above, the quality of some of the stuff I've seen is for me just amazing and not just in content but also in the way it's shot and the selection of background music, every aspect. I suppose this just goes to show what is possible with really what is quite basic kit (a Gopro or a very accessible APS-C or FF camera) and a lap top and the imagination and talent to produce the vids.

Getting off topic here but as you mentioned the Beeb and Lineker. I think back to "Orange Man bad" and his allegations of "Fake news" and I've come to give some of the conspiracy theories about MSM agendas and misinformation (to put it mildly) a lot more time as the internet never forgets and I've seen a lot of very convincing stuff that both contradicts and gives wider context to the MSM news and views that the populous are exposed to daily. Actually, now, I don't think I'd trust a single news source to tell me anything except the football results. Certainly not the BBC.

Last edited:
Had a good day yesterday first to cheer me up was I eventually managed to change the owners name on the 5Dii that I bought earlier this year. I know it should be easy but you need the EOS utility to do it. The version on my pc wouldnt recognise the camera and the version on the cd that came with the camera wouldnt install under win11, and canon dont have a suitable version online. Yesterday I dug out the old pc running Vista. Installed EOS utility and bingo could change the name copyright info etc. Happy bunny.

Last night I took the dog out for his last walk along the road to a small grassed area, and saw the bats out not seen them for months and months and as there has been a lot renovation work and repairs to buildings in the area I was concerned that they had been disturbed.
Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited:
Back