This is the trade off with using speedlites over a studio flash. It really all depends on how much light / power you need or what your budget is !

I would suggest for off camera speelites you can buy power packs that plug in to canon speedlites as there are plenty of chinse knock off versions, or just buy more panasonic eneloop batteries. Either option is cheaper than buying a studio flash.

I believe Godox produce the AD 100 the smallest studio flash I have ever seen which has built in battery, and mains powered.

Like I say it all depends how much money you want to throw at the problem. For me I have 2 very good Canon Speedlites the 580EXii & 430EXii which I use with Godox triggers and receivers. The system works well enough for my simple amateur use.

I do agree the TT350 with only 2 AA batteries does suffer after after some prolong use with recycle time, Though bear in mind it is by its form factor a small, very portable speedlite for smaller speedlite cameras it will have this issue.
There is no way I am paying over £600 for a Canon 600EXii RT flash for very occasional use, Therefore I will continue to use my 430EXii & 580EXii till the day they die ! lol

it be helpful if speedlite could be powered by Canon LP-E6 batteries as most Canon users have lots of spares knocking around. It appears that Canon is engineering it's newest cameras to not accept older LP-E6, or third party LP-E6 batteries. Though I would love LED light panels, speedlites ect to be able to accept these type of batteries, oh well, I can dream,......lol
Bang for buck, a bigger Godox speedlight is better than a new canon speedlight or a TT350. If you’re after inexpensive a s/h canon speedlight might win, they’re becoming good value.

For heavy use a li on battery Godox. I’ve used the external battery packs and they’re great for extending the life, but inferior for recycle times.

But I love the AD200 as an alternative to an off camera speedlight. I have too many speedlights and it might be time to rationalise them whilst I’m doing everything else.

Bang for buck, a bigger Godox speedlight is better than a new canon speedlight or a TT350. If you’re after inexpensive a s/h canon speedlight might win, they’re becoming good value.

For heavy use a li on battery Godox. I’ve used the external battery packs and they’re great for extending the life, but inferior for recycle times.

But I love the AD200 as an alternative to an off camera speedlight. I have too many speedlights and it might be time to rationalise them whilst I’m doing everything else.
AD200, now that is a very good and useful flash !

AD200, now that is a very good and useful flash !
sadly, like most of my gear it gets very little use nowadays. But it’ll probably be amongst the stuff I keep. That and one speedlight is probably more than I need, but feels reasonable.

Last edited:
it be helpful if speedlite could be powered by Canon LP-E6 batteries as most Canon users have lots of spares knocking around.
How true and ironically probably why it will never happen - shame. Didn't even know about "eneloop batteries" but you got me thinking about spending even more dosh now. This chat is draining my wallet :D

How true and ironically probably why it will never happen - shame. Didn't even know about "eneloop batteries" but you got me thinking about spending even more dosh now. This chat is draining my wallet :D
Do some research. You can save money buying the ikea version, allegedly the same rebranded.

Ladda

Great advice all round. Have ordered the Godox set-up, gone for the Ladda 2450mAh batteries and charger. Thanks Phil, T & Jason. Couldn't have done it without you - invaluable advice.

Guys I use a 1DX ii I almost exclusively make images of wildlife and often at higher ISO due to crepuscular species. 6,400 is fairly usual 16K used often with fox in the dead of night with little LEDs...... as I didn't want to use flash

So I'm on roughly a 20mega pix camera. Last night going through older images made with a 1D mark iv it was really apparent how much the newer 1dxii had improved my efforts.to me the IQ was just nicer.I'm not really sure how to articulate it. I'm fairly simple. Better colours finer details more mallliable to work with I suppose I guess I do pixel peep. I also spent some time going back through this thread.thank you there is some good reading here. Combo of both made me want to ask one basic Q

How do these newer R cameras..the newer sensors render RAW's.................i'm not really looking to upgrade, financially it isn't doable anyway. i'm just curious as to your much more learned opinions

thank you

stu

I have R5 and kept my 1DXM2 as it is better for very low light, probably because the pixels are bigger.

I have R5 and kept my 1DXM2 as it is better for very low light, probably because the pixels are bigger.
I get that Tim re pixie size.but your musing R1............... sure slightly greater pixel density but still large on a more modern sensor!! Lay aside THAT AF , which frankly to me seems astounding and all the other pluses associated with mirorless etc etc.do you think the actual IQ of the RAW's will look much better than the DXii ?

Tim as I said I look through simple eyes , there is always progress and each new latest greatest camera body offers us mortals slightly more probably also follows the law of deminishiing returns financially.............I guess what I'm trying to grasp iis how much more you expect from the R! sensor compared to the 1DXii

do you perceive the R1 will replace the DXii in your camera bag?
bless ya for the reply I was hoping you might respond
thank you

I get that Tim re pixie size.but your musing R1............... sure slightly greater pixel density but still large on a more modern sensor!! Lay aside THAT AF , which frankly to me seems astounding and all the other pluses associated with mirorless etc etc.do you think the actual IQ of the RAW's will look much better than the DXii ?

Tim as I said I look through simple eyes , there is always progress and each new latest greatest camera body offers us mortals slightly more probably also follows the law of deminishiing returns financially.............I guess what I'm trying to grasp iis how much more you expect from the R! sensor compared to the 1DXii

do you perceive the R1 will replace the DXii in your camera bag?
bless ya for the reply I was hoping you might respond
thank you

The 1DXM2 is great for low light and virtually unlimited buffer. The R5 has incredible AF but sometimes run into buffer trouble, much less of a problem with CRAW. The R5M2 looks amazing but is likely to have the buffer problem and smaller pixels, so it is likely to be less good in low light. I'm hoping the R1 combining the best of both - great low light performance, even better AF, and unlimited buffer. I got the R5 thinking I would need the extra pixels but find in practice I don't crop or rarely need to print photos really big. For big prints I have the GFX system. I'm not sure if I will sell the 1DXM2, I may keep it still as a remote camera.

They are indeed - the 2450mAh ones. Recycle your flash faster than alkalines for sure.
Just checked Amazon and they are cheap enough so I will get a pack of Ladda 2450mAh as the price is pretty good !
Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
The 1DXM2 is great for low light and virtually unlimited buffer. The R5 has incredible AF but sometimes run into buffer trouble, much less of a problem with CRAW. The R5M2 looks amazing but is likely to have the buffer problem and smaller pixels, so it is likely to be less good in low light. I'm hoping the R1 combining the best of both - great low light performance, even better AF, and unlimited buffer. I got the R5 thinking I would need the extra pixels but find in practice I don't crop or rarely need to print photos really big. For big prints I have the GFX system. I'm not sure if I will sell the 1DXM2, I may keep it still as a remote camera.
Tim,Thank you...............................would you be so kind as to link me in when you get that R1. That same base Q of how does the RAW file compare remains IE how do the sensors compare,

Tim,Thank you...............................would you be so kind as to link me in when you get that R1. That same base Q of how does the RAW file compare remains IE how do the sensors compare,
PS just to throw something back for the kindness Ie your time Tim, maybe the R5ii buffer might not be an issue? OMG those palm cockatoo, no rifle bird no palm............ :LOL:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXETx2ws_c

I presume you have seen but if not enjoy

Well my R7 ownership is almost a month old. I must admit, I'm struggling with it compared to my 80D. Whilst the AF is clearly far superior, my hit rate is much less successful (on the same subjects I typically shoot and locations/light) than my 80D. It is also quite a bit noisier, although those tests have been quite crude so far. It also feels much cheaper than the 80D. That felt quite robust and solid, this feels quite cheap in comparison, certainly the finish of the plastics etc are not as nice.

Well my R7 ownership is almost a month old. I must admit, I'm struggling with it compared to my 80D. Whilst the AF is clearly far superior, my hit rate is much less successful (on the same subjects I typically shoot and locations/light) than my 80D. It is also quite a bit noisier, although those tests have been quite crude so far. It also feels much cheaper than the 80D. That felt quite robust and solid, this feels quite cheap in comparison, certainly the finish of the plastics etc are not as nice.

Exactly the reasons I sold my R7, apart from the autofocus and extra MP (handy for wildlife) the 7D MKII felt superior in virtually every other way. Also the lack of a battery grip annoyed the hell out of me.

Last edited:

I have a R7 and my feelings are similar to yours. However I will keep it because of the AF system. I have not mastered the noise although I do find that current noise reduction software does a very good job. Hopefully you will enjoy your R7 given time.

Not sure why your hit rate is lower.

I'm certainly going to keep it, it will just take a while to learn how to get the best from it. It's a shame the build quality has dropped, it it similar to the FF R series? When I was in WEX having a nosey, the other manufacturers have a much more appealing looking product for sure, especially Sony IMO.

I have a R7 and my feelings are similar to yours. However I will keep it because of the AF system. I have not mastered the noise although I do find that current noise reduction software does a very good job. Hopefully you will enjoy your R7 given time.

Not sure why your hit rate is lower.
I feel the same the R7 Eye AF is alien technology, however I did expect a higher keeper rate from it. Yes the build is plasticky, a little cheap to the feel and not a solid build as the my 7Dii
What is a keeper for me is the Eye & subject tracking one thing I can not work around on my 7Dii and many shots I would have never got with my 7Dii.
I am surprised with the shutter noise even in 1st curtain electronic curtain, however the small form factor and weight is another big bonus.

I can not wait for the R7 Mkii to come as I will not hesitate to trade in my R7 ! lol

Can anyone recomend a cheep EF to RF converter alternative to the canon one?

I've got myself a 1.4x RF TC and would like to "modify" a cheep coverter to try it out with some EF lenses!

it it similar to the FF R series?
never looked at R7 (why would I?) but overall build quality of say R6 is a massive drop from 5D3 for example. EVF is particularly nasty so I just use it in a handycam mode all the time. At least it works well enough to give me results that I and my clients like.

They have some nice technology inside such as much improved AF and IBIS so you basically rock any event work or light sports that is thrown at you. It feels s*** in hand, EVF sucks and there are absolutely no decent and affordable lens post 2020 and there likely won't be any ever if Sigma keeps getting the same treatment as now. You have a pool of a few nice DG ART primes so that's pretty much how you survive. Wideangle options suck, prices of really long glass suck. You get the point.

Last edited:
A quick charts performance comparison of the mighty expensive RF 24-105mm f/2.8 vs the new Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8

it just strikes you how poor the results are towards the periphery in both, and it strikes you even further that Sigma at least in this test consistently comes out slightly on top despite being 2.5x more affordable. Which is why you will never be allowed to buy one in this 2nd rate parts ecosystem

Canon are reporting a delay in the shipment of R5 mk ii. E-finity are advertising them as in stock and £1000 cheaper than the UK RRP.
I am not posting this as a discussion on the rights and wrongs of buying "grey" (each to their own) £1000 is a heck of a saving on a newly released camera!

Canon are reporting a delay in the shipment of R5 mk ii. E-finity are advertising them as in stock and £1000 cheaper than the UK RRP.
I am not posting this as a discussion on the rights and wrongs of buying "grey" (each to their own) £1000 is a heck of a saving on a newly released camera!
Ideally panamoz for their unrivalled 3 year warranty, but essentially yes a massive saving you just can't ignore

I would have to agree but Panamoz aren't showing any at the moment. E-finity only offer 12 months but it is still a bargain compared to UK prices.

I suspect that there is a decent reason (apart from supply chain issues) that Canon is delaying shipment.

If I was in the market for an R5II, I'd wait.

Why is it every time a new canon, nikon, goes on sale there is a back order, this has been going on for years !
I ordered my R7 in May 2022 and I received at the end of Dec 2022, Even Canon retail shop / customer service dept did not have a R7 !
Surely by now the supply chain issues should be sorted out ( if there ever were any issues ) and if there is a delay it should only be few weeks !

Why is it every time a new canon, nikon, goes on sale there is a back order, this has been going on for years !
I ordered my R7 in May 2022 and I received at the end of Dec 2022, Even Canon retail shop / customer service dept did not have a R7 !
Surely by now the supply chain issues should be sorted out ( if there ever were any issues ) and if there is a delay it should only be few weeks !
I’d imagine that any new product release has the same potential issues, and cameras suffer from being a relatively low volume product.

Let’s say that Canikon expect their latest camera to sell 100,000 copies over its entire lifespan of 4 years. That’s not 25k a year, but maybe 60k in year one, 25k year 2, etc.
and of the 60k in year one, 50% of that will be at or close to release.

Let’s pretend they could make 60k a year, which far exceeds the actual demand over its lifetime, but is nowhere near enough to cope with year1 months 1 and 2 where the 5k a month they’re producing isn’t enough to keep up with demand. They can mitigate this by building up a couple of months stock, but the longer they wait, the larger the gamble.

Any other supply chain or distribution issues that may crop up will just exacerbate what’s already a very fine balance between capacity and demand.

Good evening guys.

I will be selling some items I no longer use (not photographic) over the next few weeks. I’m hoping to have around £2.5k to spend on a new mirror less camera (I have my eye on the R7) and one new lens initially. I’m not sure if my budget will extend to pairing the R7 with some L glass, and if so which one, given my interests below.

I will be looking to sell on the following to add further lenses:

EOS 70D
Canon EFS 10-18mm IS
Canon EFS 18-200mm IS
Sigma 18-125mm 3.5-5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F4.5-5.6
BG-E14

I think I will keep the Sigma 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 until last, as I’m looking to photograph wildlife and motor sport, (I know I will need a longer lens). My photographic interests are classic cars, landscape, architecture, and the afore mentioned wildlife and motor sport. I’m also interest in shooting astrophotography.

I know in the grand scheme of things £2.5k isn’t a huge budget, but it’s what I will have to work with. Suggestions please on camera and lens?

Good evening guys.

I will be selling some items I no longer use (not photographic) over the next few weeks. I’m hoping to have around £2.5k to spend on a new mirror less camera (I have my eye on the R7) and one new lens initially. I’m not sure if my budget will extend to pairing the R7 with some L glass, and if so which one, given my interests below.
I'd go steady with the sales, and start with the R7 and an adaptor, I don't think you have the budget for useful RF glass, So you probably know what EF glass you were lusting after and aim for that.

Good evening guys.

I will be looking to sell on the following to add further lenses:

EOS 70D
Canon EFS 10-18mm IS
Canon EFS 18-200mm IS
Sigma 18-125mm 3.5-5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F4.5-5.6
BG-E14

I think I will keep the Sigma 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 until last, as I’m looking to photograph wildlife and motor sport, (I know I will need a longer lens). My photographic interests are classic cars, landscape, architecture, and the afore mentioned wildlife and motor sport. I’m also interest in shooting astrophotography.

I know in the grand scheme of things £2.5k isn’t a huge budget, but it’s what I will have to work with. Suggestions please on camera and lens?
For £2.5k you could get a used R6 or R7, a EF 100-400 II and an adapter which would be a great combo and could then build on with additional lenses (either RF or EF) from selling that kit.

I would lean towards the R6 but choice would depend on how much wildlife photography vs landscape/astro.

I suspect that there is a decent reason (apart from supply chain issues) that Canon is delaying shipment.

If I was in the market for an R5II, I'd wait.
I was at Wex yesterday and was told that Canon is drip-releasing bodies rather than trying to meet demand, no obvious reason why, such as supply chain, logistics, transportation etc.

My mother’s in Central America right now, and flying back via the States; I had a look earlier for prices, but they’re basically the same as greys. And also in very limited supply.

I was at Wex yesterday and was told that Canon is drip-releasing bodies rather than trying to meet demand, no obvious reason why, such as supply chain, logistics, transportation etc.

My mother’s in Central America right now, and flying back via the States; I had a look earlier for prices, but they’re basically the same as greys. And also in very limited supply.
And this is what 'facts' have come down to in 2024. :rolleyes:

The entire business is based around the concept of 'return on investment'. It makes no sense whatsoever for any company to limit supply of a product that they have spent millions developing. And front line shop staff have bluntly no more information than anyone else and shouldn't be speculating to customers.

Back