D500

@snerkler if you are anywhere near ogston res, the bird club has a pretty good hide with fairly frequent kingfisher visits. The club is not expensive to join and they have good few spots for bird photos, or sailing if you'd prefer. I was considering joining just to try to get some kingfisher shots :)

http://www.ogstonbirdclub.co.uk
Thanks for this. Strangely I was looking at this yesterday and have dropped them an email (y)

Hoping the weather fit tmr so I an get a good outing with my D500 as i not had a proper go yet.. But what I've done so far in garden any around house I am VERY impress with the camera..

Ive got the Gas as I am already wanting a few lens for it ha ha

:nikon:

hoping to pick up my d500 tomorrow
can you tell me whay kind of card to get that does not have any issues with the camera i have read the lexar is causing issues

can you tell me whay kind of card to get that does not have any issues with the camera i have read the lexar is causing issues
I have fastest Lexar XQD and SD cards and have never had any problems. I know some did, but I think Nikon did a Firmware update to deal with any issues, and I haven't read of anyone having any problems for a few months. Any new D500 would, you would think, have the latest Firmware.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you are overly worried, don't buy Lexar. ;) They have the fastest cards atm though. :) Not that you necessarily need the fastest cards. You get the 10fps regardless of the cards, only the number of shots at 10fps changes. Most of the fast SD cards from each company can deliver a 60-70 shot buffer.

I use a 32GB Lexar1440x XQD in Slot 1 and a 32GB Sandisk UHS-1 95 Mb/s in Slot 2 and neither has ever missed a beat ... there simply isn't the need to spend more on faster cards unless you actually plan to shoot bursts of 200, I simply couldn't need faster than these cards give me. :)

What lens you thinking of getting with it pal

I would suggest the Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art it such a fantastic sharp lens..

Both different lenses, better coverage and build on the Nikkor though.
You've only just got your Sigma ;)

I'd go as far and say it's one of the best DX lenses made. :D

That would be my setup, D500 paired with the 17-55mm f2.8.
It's a shame Nikon done really make many pro level lenses for DX bodies. :(

Last edited:
Both different lenses, better coverage and build on the Nikkor though.
You've only just got your Sigma ;)

I'd go as far and say it's one of the best DX lenses made. :D

That would be my setup, D500 paired with the 17-55mm f2.8.

Plenty of FX lens that suites me pal.

Are you thinking of trying one then ;) come on move over to the bright side

Do they need to?
The 17-55 is an obvious range they needed to make and have, the lenses aren't that much cheaper, if at all so everything else is pretty much covered.

Well I got the sigma as it a good FL on a Crop coming from a FF and it 1.8 so pretty good coverage and low light lens.. like 3 primes in one...

Plenty of FX lens that suites me pal.

Are you thinking of trying one then ;) come on move over to the bright side

Can't see me going back to Nikon, I was longing for a D300s replacement for ages and stuck with my D7000 & 17-55mm setup but in the end I went down another route.

Do they need to?
The 17-55 is an obvious range they needed to make and have, the lenses aren't that much cheaper, if at all so everything else is pretty much covered.

At the time, for me it was a consideration, The FF versions were bigger, heavier and more expensive so I was kind of left with no choice but to consider FF lenses on a DX body.

If you believe tests like this the NIkon 17-55mm is much softer than the Tamron and Sigma counterparts on the D500
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...kon-on-Nikon-D500__173_1061_186_1061_377_1061

Even on the D7100 the trend is the same
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...Nikon-on-Nikon-D7100__173_865_186_865_377_865

As for build quality, the Sigma Art lenses are excellent.

I agree the Sigma Art Lenses are Excellent they look good. Built very well indeed and having that 1.8 is a bonus for me..

Sigma 18-35
Sigma 50-100

Both being 1.8 seem a nice set up..

I will get a sigma 150-600 at one stage and Nikon 70-200 2.8

Then Hopefully am done with lol

I ordered the 16-80mm last night, so can't give any first hand experience yet. ;)

I believe the 16-85mm is the best all round DX lens for quality, cost and weight, so I'm hoping the 16-80mm is an improvement. I think the 16-80mm is overpriced, but I have found a new white box deal for £549, which is about what I thought it should have been in the first place. Fingers crossed it comes next week. :)

I ordered the 16-80mm last night, so can't give any first hand experience yet. ;)

I believe the 16-85mm is the best all round DX lens for quality, cost and weight, so I'm hoping the 16-80mm is an improvement. I think the 16-80mm is overpriced, but I have found a new white box deal for £549, which is about what I thought it should have been in the first place. Fingers crossed it comes next week. :)

Ah, good...... Since it was your Venice pics that persuaded me to buy the 16-85, perhaps you can do the same for the 16-80 ?........

Ah, good...... Since it was your Venice pics that persuaded me to buy the 16-85, perhaps you can do the same for the 16-80 ?........
:oops: :$ Oops, I hope there is no blame attached. ;)

What is it that you are looking to get from a new lens? The 16-85mm is still a very good lens. I don't know how long you have had yours, but mine is 6-7 years old and showing signs of wear. If there had been a good deal on at the time I got the D500 I would have tried to get it at the same time, but buying both at the time gave no saving, and as I said, I think it is overpriced at the rrp. I'm hoping for improvement though, but at least the viewfinder will be brighter. ;) :LOL:

I'm hoping to get to Venice again in April to let the new camera, and hopefully new lens, look at it. :)

Last edited:

What is it that you are looking to get from a new lens? The 16-85mm is still a very good lens. I don't know how long you have had yours, but mine is 6-7 years old and showing signs of wear. If there had been a good deal on at the time I got the D500 I would have tried to get it at the same time, but buying both at the time gave no saving, and as I said, I think it is overpriced at the rrp. I'm hoping for improvement though, but at least the viewfinder will be brighter. ;) :LOL:

I'm hoping to get to Venice again in April to let the new camera, and hopefully new lens, look at it. :)

What do you think of your 70-300 lens mate??

No blame at all, tis a great lens. I just fancy the 2.8 for seperation as much as anything,plus, obviously, its a new shiny..... ;)

Rome and Florence for us next year......

Be interested see these images pls be cool that we start getting owners sharing their work in this thread like others do

ROOKIES

i have the following glass
nikon 17-35mm 2.8
nikon 24-70mm 2.8
nikon 70-200mm 2.8
nikon 200-500mm 5.6
nikon 18-300mm
1.7tc

Last edited:
Any new D500 would, you would think, have the latest Firmware.
Not necessarily. The latest D500 firmware, v1.11, was released on 8th November. It's quite possible that a camera you buy today might have been shipped from Japan before that date.

No blame at all, tis a great lens. I just fancy the 2.8 for seperation as much as anything,plus, obviously, its a new shiny..... ;)

Rome and Florence for us next year......
I've only been to Florence for a few days, but have been to Rome quite a lot. :D I don't know whether you have been before, but if you want any tips let me know. ;)

The 16-80mm is not f2.8 throughout the whole zoom range, you get 2/3rd Stop more at the wide end, and 1 Stop at 80mm, not sure it would make that much of a difference, especially at the wider end. I rarely take pics wide open with this range of lens, so 2.8 throughout the zoom range is not that important to me. The Nikon 17-50mm is f2.8 throughout the zoom range, but does not cover the same range. :thinking: It is also more expensive larger and heavier. You pay's you money etc.... :)

What do you think of your 70-300 lens mate??
The 70-300mm seems better with the D500 compared to the D300S. I rarely used it wide open with the D300S but I'm OK doing it with the new camera, which was a pleasant surprise. :) I thought the higher resolution of the new camera in comparison to the old one may have shown up the quality of the lenses. It happened before with a Sigma 70-300mm when I went from 6-10mp, but I'm happy with what I am getting so far, and hopefully the 16-80mm will be a marked improvement.

Not necessarily. The latest D500 firmware, v1.11, was released on 8th November. It's quite possible that a camera you buy today might have been shipped from Japan before that date.

I pondered putting 'hope' rather than 'think'. ;) Only takes 10-15 mins to do the update. After you have fully charged the battery of course. ;) But then you're not taking any pics till the battery is charged anyway. :D

Talking about walkabout DX lenses, anyone have experience of the Sigma 17-70mm lens, especially the newer Contemporary version?......... Seems a good, cheaper alternative to the Nikon 16-80mm. I'm probably goin to get a D500 and 300mm PF lens after Christmas and considering what walkabout to get, maybe best getting the 16-80mm as a kit???....... but would like some views on the Sigma if anybody owns one.

The Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 interests me as I had the Sigma 24-35mm f2 FF version, but it won't be on my list initially.

Hello Everyone.

First of all I know there is already a D500 thread on here, the whole point of this one is to show everyone that the D500 is not just for Wildlife. But Wildlife images are welcome in here along with many others images people capture with their D500.

My Finding of this D500 is amazing, I love everything about this camera and with the correct lens it can take any images as you wishes. The Noise and DR handling is fantastic IMO and the handling of the camera. I love the fact that it got the Pro camera layout. Let hope we get this thread alive with many images of different subject..

I am going to post a few and when I get the correct lens I will post some Zoo images and the like.

DSC_0106.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0138-Edit.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0114-Edit.jpg

Wow JUST WOW.. Those are lovely sharp images that 80-200 is a good lens aint it..

It's a cracking lens and at a fraction of the cost of a new 70-200 :)

It's a cracking lens and at a fraction of the cost of a new 70-200 :)

Food for though as I also seen a used 70-200 2.8 VR the first one for £850 excellent condition

Food for though as I also seen a used 70-200 2.8 VR the first one for £850 excellent condition
About right for the Mk1, the 80-200 was under £300 ... if you don't need VR and a foot it's a steal :)

Back