D500

I keep meaning to ask anyone using the nikon grip on there D500 as I am in 2 minds

I keep meaning to ask anyone using the nikon grip on there D500 as I am in 2 minds

Meike grip and £400 lens money vs Nikon grip?

I obviously don't have one to compare but don't see how it could be 400£ better, the meike feels nice and works and is a decent solid fit.

Meike grip and £400 lens money vs Nikon grip?

I obviously don't have one to compare but don't see how it could be 400£ better, the meike feels nice and works and is a decent solid fit.

Does yours have the writing on as I prefer it not to and I been unlucky in the past getting there ugly writing on the back

I only got the Nikon as i'd enough to cover it in my trade in, otherwise it'd be a 3rd party until I found a used one (be 3-4 years for that though) the older batteries work fine in it.
I got it as I need a lot of power after shooting away and reviewing constantly when out.

52 with a free lens cloth :) I didn't bother with the remote thinking snapbridge would be simple as a remote, wish I had now.

Still torn between 2 lens

Sigma 50-100 and Nikon 70-200 vrii

I'd go with the Nikkor.

Why that mate? I guess you don't like the Sigma Art lens They are Sharp well built lens the 50mm 1.4 Art is very popular

Why that mate? I guess you don't like the Sigma Art lens They are Sharp well built lens the 50mm 1.4 Art is very popular

Well the Nikon 70-200mm has a better focal range so for me it would be more useful, it's regarded as one of the best zooms and many pro's use it.
Sigma Art lenses are good but your not comparing like for like as they are both different focal ranges of lenses.
What range do you need?
Also test them out as they are NOT light lenses, but I don't think weight is a problem for you having ditched a smaller & lighter mirrorless system.

Well the Nikon 70-200mm has a better focal range so for me it would be more useful, it's regarded as one of the best zooms and many pro's use it.
Sigma Art lenses are good but your not comparing like for like as they are both different focal ranges of lenses.
What range do you need?
Also test them out as they are NOT light lenses, but I don't think weight is a problem for you having ditched a smaller & lighter mirrorless system.

No weight not a problem anymore I though it was but god I do like the feel of the DSLR more..

I understand what you mean about the focal length this will be 105 - 300 on the D500 I believe.. It a lens I love and love to get one again but I also need a lens to cover the gap from the 35mm to 70mm then

Still torn between 2 lens

Sigma 50-100 and Nikon 70-200 vrii
What are you wanting to shoot with them mate? For portraits you might be better with the Sigma due to it being over a stop faster, but if you want to use it for portraits and sports then maybe the Nikon would be better for the AF. I don't think the Sigma's supposed to be bad with AF, but the Nikon is superb. The nikon's also weather sealed if that's important. Lastly I would recommend trying the Sigma is you think you might got for that as it's apparently front heavy and not so well balanced.

Well Toby I am trying to get the correct lens line up as I know this D500 is staying where it is I am just over the moon with it.. THE AF I just can't explain LOL..

The 70-200 lens will be got I know that for Zoo as I feel I need the 2.8 compare to what on the 150-600 as when I last had the 70-200 I shoot quite a few at 2.8... So really the 70-200 on my D500 will be a better reach than I had on the D750 which I did manage with..

It just the gap between the 35mm to 70mm. There are are so many good things said about that sigma 50-100 it be a nice flexible lens otherwise I might use get a 50mm prime

Well Toby I am trying to get the correct lens line up as I know this D500 is staying where it is I am just over the moon with it.. THE AF I just can't explain LOL..

The 70-200 lens will be got I know that for Zoo as I feel I need the 2.8 compare to what on the 150-600 as when I last had the 70-200 I shoot quite a few at 2.8... So really the 70-200 on my D500 will be a better reach than I had on the D750 which I did manage with..

It just the gap between the 35mm to 70mm. There are are so many good things said about that sigma 50-100 it be a nice flexible lens otherwise I might use get a 50mm prime
Tough isn't it as so many choices ;) I've shot the YWP with 70-200mm, 70-300mm and 150-600mm and would choose the 150-600mm every time. I shoot at f8 no problem (except that painted dog pups that were in shadow in already lo light :() I wouldn't recommend the 70-200mm f2.8 as a wildlife lens, but if you coped with it and were happy then it may be worth consideration to you. You can obviously add a 1.4x TC making it 420mm f4 effectively which could be OK. Don't forget you have 4mp less for cropping though with your D500.

As for the 50-100mm, it is great having all those primes in one, but you could have the 35mm f1.8 DX and 50mm f1.8 (or used 50mm f1.4D) for less than half the price, and then get the 70-200mm if you wanted. This would give you a nice light setup if you wanted, and then you've got your tele which is still reasonably fast.

Not trying to tell you what to do mate, just giving ideas that's all (y)

Last edited:
Tough isn't it as so many choices ;) I've shot the YWP with 70-200mm, 70-300mm and 150-600mm and would choose the 150-600mm every time. I shoot at f8 no problem (except that painted dog pups that were in shadow in already lo light :() I wouldn't recommend the 70-200mm f2.8 as a wildlife lens, but if you coped with it and were happy then it may be worth consideration to you. You can obviously add a 1.4x TC making it 420mm f4 effectively which could be OK. Don't forget you have 4mp less for cropping though with your D500.

As for the 50-100mm, it is great having all those primes in one, but you could have the 35mm f1.8 DX and 50mm f1.8 (or used 50mm f1.4D) for less than half the price, and then get the 70-200mm if you wanted. This would give you a nice light setup if you wanted, and then you've got your tele which is still reasonably fast.

Not trying to tell you what to do mate, just giving ideas that's all (y)

So personally you would get a 150-600 for the zoo if that the case then is there a point having the 70-200 VRii in my case or the sigma 50-100 be the best stop gap

So personally you would get a 150-600 for the zoo if that the case then is there a point having the 70-200 VRii in my case or the sigma 50-100 be the best stop gap
It is my preference yeah, but obviously we're not all the same ;)

Edit: Just checked my latest two trips to YWP and at least 90% are 450-600mm. The shortest is 200mm I think.

Last edited:
Nice pics, any reason you chose f11 for the one of your daughter? Also, unfortunately the one of the snowman is focussed on the nose rather than the eyes, but still a nice shot though and I don't think it makes much difference with this (y) Focus on the dog is spot on (y)

No Idea what I used F11 on daughter LOL I was testing a few things out that all mate..

The snowman yes I focus on the nose lol maybe i give it a go on the eye next time see if it makes it any better..

Thank you for your kind comments just about to add another of the daughter that I took at the same time

Looking forward to getting my camera (ordered tues, UPS state delivery tomorrow!) and trying out my new lens on it. Can't wait.

I'm working now right up to 5pm Saturday... ugh. I want to play with my new toys :D
What Lens have you got to try on it mate.. Have I lost track on here lol

The Nikon 300 f4 pf. Just sold my old 300mm for the new version, half the weight which was becoming an issue for me and now I can't wait to get back out there and just enjoy the new gear :)

Got a new lens this afternoon so a few low light test nothing special but I am not afraid to share..

Told Mrs light needs cleaning ha ha

DSC_0269.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

High ISO images just testing for details..

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg
Dog pic's great. Cushion's really good for 12800 ISO, noise levels kept low and not a distracting texture. 50-100 looks a good purchase, how do you find it weight/balance wise?

It a very well built lens am impress. The balance is fine for me no prob at all really. The Mrs picture need a bit of work ??

It a very well built lens am impress. The balance is fine for me no prob at all really. The Mrs picture need a bit of work ??
For me I think she looks underexposed and could maybe do with the saturation of her taking down a touch. I'd use a brush for this so you don't alter the exposure of the background.

For me I think she looks underexposed and could maybe do with the saturation of her taking down a touch. I'd use a brush for this so you don't alter the exposure of the background.

Cheers mate like to learn [emoji106]

I got my 16-80mm lens today. :) Took a few pics out the back window, and then did the AF fine tune to see if it was wildly out, but it was either 0 or -1, so nothing to worry about there. :) Compared to the 16-85mm it seemed a bit larger. The lens hood is a larger, and has a square shape to it. It also has a lock button on it, which I haven't seen before. :thinking: Will try to take more pics tomorrow.

Had a go at it Toby

DSC_0292-Edit.jpg
Looks better to me. If you want to be really picky I think you could up saturation/vibrance a teeny amount and maybe warm it up a tiny bit too. Without trying it I'm not sure whether it'd look better or not trying this. Exposure's much better now imo.

Back