High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some shots :)
Thanks for the welcome Mike...being a fan of Bridge Cameras has meant ive lurked in this thread, but now i have a 1" sensor, i can now contribute i guess.
I didnt expect to post any pics for at least another month, but got extremely lucky today, an saw my 1st butterfly for 2023!!!
Lunchtime in the back garden saw me stumble on this Red Admiral, even though its still real cold down here in Kent, it was brilliant Winter sunshine, so this hibernating Butterfly decided to wake up an bask for awhile! I had to rush in the house, grab my Panny FZ1000, attach the Canon 500D close up lens, run back out in the garden, an shoot some pics of the beauty.
1st session with this camera, so very pleased with the outcome, an cant wait until the season gets under way.
I always shoot in Jpeg, minimal editing, hardly ever crop (although this camera will be capable of decent crops i would think) an as said, 99.9% of my images will have a close up lens attached. No cropping, just downsized images.
A couple of pics, cheers Paul

Shot Auto Focus, in Aperture Priority, ISO 80, Exposure -1/3, F/8, 1/100... the camera set quite a slow shutter speed, but i guess at F/8 i can see why. I will probably try setting in Manual next time, then i can choose a faster shutter speed. Focal length 38mm (equiv. 107mm)

Red Admiral Butterfly. 1st sighting for 2023! No cropping. by Tort Man (thinking about hibernation!), on Flickr

2nd pic was set at full zoom - 146mm (equiv. 400mm)...everything else, the same camera setting as the 1st pic.

Red Admiral Butterfly. 1st sighting for 2023! No cropping. by Tort Man (thinking about hibernation!), on Flickr

Thanks for the welcome Mike...being a fan of Bridge Cameras has meant ive lurked in this thread, but now i have a 1" sensor, i can now contribute i guess.
I didnt expect to post any pics for at least another month, but got extremely lucky today, an saw my 1st butterfly for 2023!!!
Lunchtime in the back garden saw me stumble on this Red Admiral, even though its still real cold down here in Kent, it was brilliant Winter sunshine, so this hibernating Butterfly decided to wake up an bask for awhile! I had to rush in the house, grab my Panny FZ1000, attach the Canon 500D close up lens, run back out in the garden, an shoot some pics of the beauty.
1st session with this camera, so very pleased with the outcome, an cant wait until the season gets under way.
I always shoot in Jpeg, minimal editing, hardly ever crop (although this camera will be capable of decent crops i would think) an as said, 99.9% of my images will have a close up lens attached. No cropping, just downsized images.
A couple of pics, cheers Paul

Shot Auto Focus, in Aperture Priority, ISO 80, Exposure -1/3, F/8, 1/100... the camera set quite a slow shutter speed, but i guess at F/8 i can see why. I will probably try setting in Manual next time, then i can choose a faster shutter speed. Focal length 38mm (equiv. 107mm)

2nd pic was set at full zoom - 146mm (equiv. 400mm)...everything else, the same camera setting as the 1st pic.

Good work Paul! We've got snow lying up here (Edinburgh) so no butterflies for a while...

Good work Paul! We've got snow lying up here (Edinburgh) so no butterflies for a while...
Cheers Mike, yes, i would think it could be maybe around April, for you to be seeing any kind of butterfly activity in Scotland!?
I have seen/photographed both Butterflies an Reptiles in some snow down here in Kent, but thats when we would have a rare cold snap in Spring.

Checking how the FZ1000 copes with a large crop now, it looks to be quite good too.
1st pic uncropped, then 2nd pic down cropped a fair bit. Images from the 1" sensor appear nice an clean, much cleaner than the FZ300 12 MP images that i was used to. It will be good to compare images from my Panny MFT's G80 too...but that will have to wait for a month at least.

That same Red Admiral.

Attachments

• P1070113-copy-to-700.jpg
    P1070113-copy-to-700.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P1070113-copy-crop-to-600.jpg
    P1070113-copy-crop-to-600.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 2
Cheers Mike, yes, i would think it could be maybe around April, for you to be seeing any kind of butterfly activity in Scotland!?
I have seen/photographed both Butterflies an Reptiles in some snow down here in Kent, but thats when we would have a rare cold snap in Spring.

Checking how the FZ1000 copes with a large crop now, it looks to be quite good too.
1st pic uncropped, then 2nd pic down cropped a fair bit. Images from the 1" sensor appear nice an clean, much cleaner than the FZ300 12 MP images that i was used to. It will be good to compare images from my Panny MFT's G80 too...but that will have to wait for a month at least.

That same Red Admiral.
Not sure what happened to my last post, i think i clicked on attached files by mistake...i will try again!

P1070113-copy-to-700.jpg

P1070113-copy-crop-to-600.jpg

That same Red Admiral.
Good work! Well I got the below on March 24th last year which seems early to me!

Comma in the Blossom by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Looking great to me Paul (y)
Cheers Alby.
I did think about getting the FZ2000 myself, i liked the idea that it is capable of F/11. That higher aperture would be useful for my open winged butterfly shots.
Since the FZ1000 maxes out at F/8, i thought i would stuggle to get everything in focus, whilst using a close up lens, but it appears up to F/8 could work well for me...especially with much smaller species that will emerge this Spring/Summer etc. Time will tell i guess, but so far so good.

Good work! Well I got the below on March 24th last year which seems early to me!

Comma in the Blossom by Mike Smith, on Flickr
Cheers Mike.
Thats a lovely early Springtime Butterfly/Blossum image, nice one.
Go's to show, that even up in the colder "climes" of Scotland, these hardy hibernators will come out if conditions are ideal for them.
Cheers Paul.

Cheers Alby.
I did think about getting the FZ2000 myself, i liked the idea that it is capable of F/11. That higher aperture would be useful for my open winged butterfly shots.
Since the FZ1000 maxes out at F/8, i thought i would stuggle to get everything in focus, whilst using a close up lens, but it appears up to F/8 could work well for me...especially with much smaller species that will emerge this Spring/Summer etc. Time will tell i guess, but so far so good.
Shutting down beyond f8 isn't recommended as you're likely to lose sharpness due to refraction. I believe even f8 is marginal with 1" sensors.

Shutting down beyond f8 isn't recommended as you're likely to lose sharpness due to refraction. I believe even f8 is marginal with 1" sensors.
I dont really think about the possibilities of refraction or loss of sharpness, when it comes to my images that im trying to capture.
Since i always use both canon 500D/250D close up lenses, im creating a "narrower than normal" focus/focal plane. Therefore if i want to capture as much of the opened wings of a butterfly in focus (all 4 wings/wing tips, body/antennae/eyes etc) then it makes perfect sense for me to utilize f/8 on a bridge camera. Please view my recent Red Admiral images above on this page, as an example of using f/8. If i owned the FZ2000, i would also go to f/11, as i know that would work for me too. I do own the ancient FZ50, an that is the camera i will always prefer to use for macro (rather than close up photography)...even though the FZ50 is a pain to use, it can go to f/11, which works very well when using the Raynox 250.

Ive had the same sort of comment on the Panasonic MFT's Thread, when i posted up butterfly images, using f/16 on my G80/45-150mm/500D close up combo...an im pretty sure i explained why i used f/16 on that thread too............................simple answer is - these settings (f/numbers) work for me, time an time again. Obviously if im shooting images of butterflies with their wings closed, then yeah, i dont need to go down to f/8 (bridge cameras) or f/16 (MFT cameras) as shooting closed wing butterfly images are much easier (to get everything in focus) than "harder" open winged shots. Remembering that most of my butterfly images are shot in warm/sunny conditions, the subjects are generally super active, they constantly flit their wings, an are on the move. So any settings i can use, to help me get everything in focus, will be used.
Cheers Paul.

Robin from 2019 shot with the Sony RX10 mkiv and re edited.
View sharper on Flickr.

Robin by Ajophotog, on Flickr
Thats a beauty Alby...the iconic Robin, which is always a pleasure to see.
I havent done any "Birding" myself for a couple of years now......My "cheapish birding" Super Zoom set up was a Nikon V1/F1 adapter/Nikon 300mm AFS f/4 ED lens, with the V1's crop factor, it gave me over 800mm equiv. But with just 10 MP's, an the V1 was famous for being a pain in the rear to use, it was always a challenge!!!...I did capture some nice bird images over the years, but my birding days are over i guess.

Thats a beauty Alby...the iconic Robin, which is always a pleasure to see.
I havent done any "Birding" myself for a couple of years now......My "cheapish birding" Super Zoom set up was a Nikon V1/F1 adapter/Nikon 300mm AFS f/4 ED lens, with the V1's crop factor, it gave me over 800mm equiv. But with just 10 MP's, an the V1 was famous for being a pain in the rear to use, it was always a challenge!!!...I did capture some nice bird images over the years, but my birding days are over i guess.
I mainly use my Om system om-1 with the olympus m.100-400 for most of my wildlife stuff but I will play with my panasonic fz2000 for a bit to see if it comes up to my expectations, I do enjoy using bridge cameras though so may well go back to the sony rx10 iv if the panasonic doesn't work out.

I mainly use my Om system om-1 with the olympus m.100-400 for most of my wildlife stuff but I will play with my panasonic fz2000 for a bit to see if it comes up to my expectations, I do enjoy using bridge cameras though so may well go back to the sony rx10 iv if the panasonic doesn't work out.
How does the om-1 compare to the rx10iv..?
I'm looking for ideally a one lens solution for a big travel trip but might look at the om-1 and maybe 2 zooms..
If you feel like offering any opinions I'd be grateful, ta!

How does the om-1 compare to the rx10iv..?
I'm looking for ideally a one lens solution for a big travel trip but might look at the om-1 and maybe 2 zooms..
If you feel like offering any opinions I'd be grateful, ta!
The om-1 is a far better camera l think, the focus system on it is so quick and the file are superior. There isn’t a one lens solution to cover the Sony range though and the Sony a decent camera for the specs offered so either l would be happy with. The OM-1 does offer lots of computational functions that are really useful like pro capture, live develop and nd filters built in. The om-1 is a stunning bit of kit.

The om-1 is a far better camera l think, the focus system on it is so quick and the file are superior. There isn’t a one lens solution to cover the Sony range though and the Sony a decent camera for the specs offered so either l would be happy with. The OM-1 does offer lots of computational functions that are really useful like pro capture, live develop and nd filters built in. The om-1 is a stunning bit of kit.
Thanks for that, gives me even more to think about...
I really do need a day out in some city with a camera shop or two..

Excellent again Alby!

Just wondering...why are you getting a new RX10iv when you already have one?
I haven't had one since 2019, so reordered a new one today. Still playing with the fz2000 to see how that compares to the sony. I don't do a lot of photography these days so bridge cameras are my easy option I guess, plus I like the all in one solution they offer and the 1" sensors are more than enough for what I do with my photos.

I haven't had one since 2019, so reordered a new one today. Still playing with the fz2000 to see how that compares to the sony. I don't do a lot of photography these days so bridge cameras are my easy option I guess, plus I like the all in one solution they offer and the 1" sensors are more than enough for what I do with my photos.
Ah right - got you now!

Hmmm it’s a route i have looked at a few times , and with increasing age limitations it may yet happen , sold the fz1000mk2 due to reach limitations in raw .. but I see some superb results from that Sony

I've been entertaining the notion of the Sony RX10 III (and the IV, although it's quite a bit more expensive), and would like to ask how people find the handling of these cameras. I'm after a point and shoot where I don't have to change lenses, with decent reach (480mm or greater), but also something bigger than 1/2.3", which narrows it down to either the Panasonic FZ2000, or the Sony RX10 series. However, they are all heavier and bulkier than the smaller cameras as well.

I've been entertaining the notion of the Sony RX10 III (and the IV, although it's quite a bit more expensive), and would like to ask how people find the handling of these cameras. I'm after a point and shoot where I don't have to change lenses, with decent reach (480mm or greater), but also something bigger than 1/2.3", which narrows it down to either the Panasonic FZ2000, or the Sony RX10 series. However, they are all heavier and bulkier than the smaller cameras as well.
I have the FZ2000 and it is a very nice and easy to use camera. Everything seems to fall nicely to hand when using it and the menus are a lot better than the Sony. Once you get use to the sony I think it is slightly the better camera of the two but in your hands you might find the panasonic better. I don't think you would be dissapointed in either tbh as they are both superb bridge cameras. I am looking forward to getting my hands back on the Sony as I have missed it.

Back