High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

If I get to make another trip up your way and I'm in not too much of a hurry perhaps I could give you a tug to see if you'd like to see some of your terrain from the air. That's if you don't mind flying of course, I've taken several people out with me from TP and I'm pretty sure all of them enjoyed it.
What a generous offer! If the opportunity arises that would be great George, thanks a lot :)

Mike I like these images you post, but I would love to know the distance in yards or feet they were taken from, as my house at the rear backs onto a large wooded area but most of the wildlife are wary of the dogs and keep their distance which makes most lenses under 400mm obsolete, so would I get a decent shot of say a robin at 30-40ft with the Sony RX10iii just to give me some idea of distances tat I can work on Thanks.

Hi Derek. 30-40 feet is pushing it for a small bird like a Robin in my opinion... not sure that many lenses (in the real world!) would work in that scenario though. The Heron was probably in the order of 30-40 feet but obviously it is a LOT larger than a robin - the decent robin shots I've had were likely a fair bit closer.

I think the answer to 'how much reach is enough for birding' is 'always slightly more than you have' :)

Thanks Mike for the reply, I still think it will do the job as I am probably a bit hit and miss with gauging distance, will have a look for one after holidays thanks again .

Scrolling through review after review of the Sony cyber-shot rx10 mark iii I came across this one ,you have all probably seen it but the bit that interested me most was the shot of the baseball field, be alright for my Liverpool match:).

That looks sharp to me! Are you generally happy with the FZ2000 ?
Tbh Mike l‘ve not used it much but what l have done I’m pretty impressed with plus l do like the handling and layout of it. After getting it l was laid up for a while so now I’m back to my old self l can get out more with it.

Well my Sony Rx 10 Mk 3 arrived this morning from MPB minus charger cable etc so now got to try and contact them, which knowing them is going to be a chore.

It's a standard micro-B cable so you've probably got one from an old phone lying around somewhere.

Thanks again for all the replies, managed to get some bits from Amazon arriving Tues, to be fair to MPB they were very quick in replying to my complaint offering a replacement camera or a partial refund, why oh why couldn't they just send out a battery from another camera .

Thanks again for all the replies, managed to get some bits from Amazon arriving Tues, to be fair to MPB they were very quick in replying to my complaint offering a replacement camera or a partial refund, why oh why couldn't they just send out a battery charger from another camera .

Having previously owned the Panasonic Lumix 1000 and now own a Sony RX10 M IV, I really cannot see how you can group them together, the Sony is a far superior camera to any other bridge camera.

Last edited:
Having previously owned the Panasonic Lumix 1000 and now own a Sony RX10 M IV, I really cannot see how you can group them together, the Sony is a far superior camera to any other bridge camera.
yes you need to show us some of the photos from it Jeff
Here is a RX10 iv shot from mine back in Dec 2018. It is a great camera.;)

Nuthatch by Ajophotog, on Flickr

Last edited:

:plus1: To that Jeff, I've not tried all the higher end bridge cameras but I have tried some of them, and none of them came even close to the Sony RX unit, and any of the others sure would need to be a bit special to surpass the "Sony RX10IV" for all round performance.

Another couple of old ones from my old rx10 iv. I,ve been revisiting a few old shots from it as I'm thinking of parting with my om system and olympus gear due to not being as active as I was. I'm still yet to fully play with the Panny fz2000 and deciding whether to keep that or pass it on in exchange for the rx10 iv. Click image to view sharper on Flickr

Slowing Down by Ajophotog, on Flickr

Puffin by Ajophotog, on Flickr

Another couple of old ones from my old rx10 iv. I,ve been revisiting a few old shots from it as I'm thinking of parting with my om system and olympus gear due to not being as active as I was. I'm still yet to fully play with the Panny fz2000 and deciding whether to keep that or pass it on in exchange for the rx10 iv. Click image to view sharper on Flickr

Slowing Down by Ajophotog, on Flickr

Puffin by Ajophotog, on Flickr
Excellent shots.
I sold my A9 and 200-600mm lens as it was getting too heavy for me.
I was planning on getting an RX10iv at some point but wasn't certain I'd be pleased with the results.
After viewing your images my mind is made up....I'd definitely be happy.
I'd get a lot more use from it as it's smaller and lighter and I don't need to carry a bag of lenses....

Last edited:
Wow these are fabulous Alby! I would have believed you if you'd told us these were shot with high end kit!

ps - your Flickr stream is a treat to browse through, great stuff

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Your stream isn't too shabby either Mike ;) I do have a love for the bridge camera and a falling out of changeble lens cameras. I will see how I get on with the fz2000 before doing anything drastic and selling up all my gear. :D What little of done so far with the fz2000 has been quite an enjoyable experience if im honest.

Back