Nikon Z* mirrorless

The Zf - I didn't get on with mine at first, although the 40mm f2 seems a really good match - and I have taken shots that have surprised me

my initial area of concern were the colours it produces, but I am now OK with that

I'm getting used to the Zf and appreciate it more and more each day ..... I found it "small" and lightweight compared to my D850.D810 and even the D750

but, I've decided to stick to cameras under 30mp's - 24mp for me is NOW enough

I have quite a few MF lenses of all sorts plus the usual Nikon AF stuff

as far as GAS is concerned I think I'd rather spend money of lenses that provide a different image, albeit sometimes slight, than upgrading my D850 to a Z8 or Z9 ..... even though both offer exceptional value for money at the present time

Ordered my ZF from panamoz on Thur evening arrived Mon :D,
my query is i need to update the firmware from C 1.00 to C 1.20
Does the new firmware have any effect on 3rd party batteries?
as I bought smallrig batteries in feb for myZ5,

Much did you get it for? I got a refurbed one from Nikon this week too!

In my ignorance, I'm not sure I knew you could do panos in-camera.

I started out with the camera vertical purely to keep it level, while still keeping taller things in frame. But then I'm not doing grand vistas, but closer up things where I don't like the perspective from wide angle lenses, and prefer a pano - effect.
The quality of the output (jpg) in Panorama mode is variable and best when the lens is 23-35mm focal length. There are occasionally horrible artefacts in the image but that is probably down to movement when taking the image.
The traditional method of single handheld or tripod mounted images that overlap then stitching in Photoshop works much better in my opinion.

The quality of the output (jpg) in Panorama mode is variable and best when the lens is 23-35mm focal length. There are occasionally horrible artefacts in the image but that is probably down to movement when taking the image.
The traditional method of single handheld or tripod mounted images that overlap then stitching in Photoshop works much better in my opinion.
Thanks for this, I've only used a 35mm lens on a tripod and Photoshop, but my trials of PTGui suggests it does a better job than PS, If I was serious about Panos, I would probably stump up the cash for PTGui.

Thanks for this, I've only used a 35mm lens on a tripod and Photoshop, but my trials of PTGui suggests it does a better job than PS, If I was serious about Panos, I would probably stump up the cash for PTGui.
I’ve found that, to the consternation of Adobe-haters, Lightroom Classic makes a pretty good fist of stitching panoramas. Witness the example above.

Nice

which adapter did you get Trevor?
I bought a KF Leica M to Z mount and a cheap LTM to M mount. Used on these.
Also bought an Urth LTM to Z mount. But on this the threads don’t line up very well and the lens mounts about 45 degrees out.

I’ve found that, to the consternation of Adobe-haters, Lightroom Classic makes a pretty good fist of stitching panoramas. Witness the example above.
Yes, when I was comparing the different programs, I also tried LR, along with other dedicated pano programs, before deciding PGui had the edge in direct comparisons.

I ended up using PS because it's easier to go from Capture One to PS ( a regular part of my workflow) than bringing LR into the mix, even if I now use LR for its catalogue.

Thought you would. 1955 Featherbed. 1958 T120 engine and gearbox.

It looks stunning. Not many modern bikes excite me nowadays. The old ones do, though and that's lovely! I'm honestly considering selling my Tenere 700 and getting a vintage bike again.

It looks stunning. Not many modern bikes excite me nowadays. The old ones do, though and that's lovely! I'm honestly considering selling my Tenere 700 and getting a vintage bike again.
I’m not a motor+cyclist although I did own a couple of Honda Cubs in my youth, but I do love the visible engineering which goes into them, and I always pull to the left where possible to enable them to pass.

I have a (Pentax) Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens - screw thread, presumably M42 - does anyone use this lens on their Zf, if so what adapter do you use? Thanks

I have a (Pentax) Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens - screw thread, presumably M42 - does anyone use this lens on their Zf, if so what adapter do you use? Thanks
Not that lens, but I have used M42 thread lenses on my Zf (I don't now) and I've had a look at the adapter. It is just a generic Ebay adapter with the mount adjustable so you can spin the lens to the correct orientation. Worked well enough. I must get round to putting my adapters up for sale some day!

Don’t have that lens Bill. But can recommend K&F adapter. Happy with the one I use for my LTM Canon lens.

Don’t have that lens Bill. But can recommend K&F adapter. Happy with the one I use for my LTM Canon lens.

Thanks Trevor

I've just ordered the Canon LTM to Z adapter from K & F - I get a bit confused with which way "round" it is

I'm just digging out the lenses I used with my M 4/3rds stuff years a ago

I've also got a couple of good Konica Hexanon MF lenses and well as quite a few Canon FD lenses ........ getting used to the Zf, it's not bad and focus peaking is reasonable ..... but difficult to know when it's focused on, say, the eye, with a wide open, say f1.4 lens ....... is there a way to reduce all these "red" lines to just one or two when the lens is exact on "spot" focus

Not that lens, but I have used M42 thread lenses on my Zf (I don't now) and I've had a look at the adapter. It is just a generic Ebay adapter with the mount adjustable so you can spin the lens to the correct orientation. Worked well enough. I must get round to putting my adapters up for sale some day!
Thanks Stephen

Thanks Trevor

I've just ordered the Canon LTM to Z adapter from K & F - I get a bit confused with which way "round" it is

I've also got a couple of good Konica Hexanon MF lenses and well as quite a few Canon FD lenses ........ getting used to the Zf, it's not bad and focus peaking is reasonable ..... but difficult to know when it's focused on, say, the eye, with a wide open, say f1.4 lens ....... is there a way to reduce all these "red" lines to just one or two when the lens is exact on "spot" focus
Bill. Sorry to be late replying. I note Duncan has confirmed the adapter.
When manual focusing I have the Peaking sensitivity set to high and red. I have the OK button set to zoom to 100%. I often switch to Black and White for subjects with low contrast or poorly defined edges.

Bill. Sorry to be late replying. I note Duncan has confirmed the adapter.
When manual focusing I have the Peaking sensitivity set to high and red. I have the OK button set to zoom to 100%. I often switch to Black and White for subjects with low contrast or poorly defined edges.

I do the exact same, Trevor. Works well.

@myotis Thanks for the links to the Thom pages.

After reading the telephoto stuff I drifted off to look at the Zf review by Thom.
This was very useful and explains the detail that had passed me by in use and skim reading the manual. I always criticised the choice of 26MP for the Zf as 33MP or better 45MP would produce a good camera for everything. However if you are serious in your landscapes you shoot on a tripod, so in this case why not shoot in multi-pixel mode and get a 96MP image! No need for a Zfx 45MP camera. This revelation puts my Z9 under threat as I could trade in my Z9 and get a second Zf with some Voigtlander lenses! However there are some very nice features on the Z9 that I use that ensures this is not going to happen.
Wind

Last edited:
Can I ask Z8 and 24-70/4S shooters what they think of the combination?. Thinking of getting a Z8 at the current price but not chucking in my K-mount or F-mount kit any time soon and there is a 24-70/4S at a good price. Not helped by the fact FTZII new is very difficult to get hold of.

Thanks Trevor

I do the exact same, Trevor. Works well.
Another thing Peaking related. Sometimes it’s more difficult to compose with an EVF that’s red all over. I’ve set the Fn button on the front of my Zf to toggle peaking on/off.

@BillN_33

As you know the Canon LTM 50 has a minimum focus distance of 1 metre. I’ve tried mine with the Voigtlander Close Focus LM to Z adapter. Can get as close as around 15inches. Not scientific measurements but good results.

Rather pleased with my new Zf received yesterday - have been setting up as per Thom Hogan recommendations and it seems to be head and shoulders above the other Z bodies I had in the past. The small rig grip makes it so much more comfortable as well.

I got the kit version (with 40/2 SE) but haven't used the kit lens yet as I also got a Viltrox 23/1.4 and 75/1.2 Pro. They are absolutely lovely - I think the 75mm is going to be one of my favourites, although time will tell if it gives the feeling that the super fast Canon glass used to.

So far, so good! Actually thinking of chopping the 40mm in for the 24-70/4 S o_O

Rather pleased with my new Zf received yesterday - have been setting up as per Thom Hogan recommendations and it seems to be head and shoulders above the other Z bodies I had in the past. The small rig grip makes it so much more comfortable as well.

I got the kit version (with 40/2 SE) but haven't used the kit lens yet as I also got a Viltrox 23/1.4 and 75/1.2 Pro. They are absolutely lovely - I think the 75mm is going to be one of my favourites, although time will tell if it gives the feeling that the super fast Canon glass used to.

So far, so good! Actually thinking of chopping the 40mm in for the 24-70/4 S o_O
Keep both lenses. They’re both excellent optically, and suitable for different scenarios. Plus, I doubt there’s a lot of value in a used 40mm despite its quality.

Can I ask Z8 and 24-70/4S shooters what they think of the combination?. Thinking of getting a Z8 at the current price but not chucking in my K-mount or F-mount kit any time soon and there is a 24-70/4S at a good price. Not helped by the fact FTZII new is very difficult to get hold of.
The Z8 and 24-70 f/4 is a great combo, I've used it many times. It's compact, light, sharp and performs very well with the Z8. I moved to the 24-120 f/4 just because it was more versitile and a little sharper, but for it's money the 24-70 f/4 is a great purchase.

Last edited:
Back