Nikon Z* mirrorless

Yes, sorry Trevor, I goofed. It is indeed apsc. I'll try to get some samples up for people using the Zf, as I'm not seeing any fall off in coverage from the shots I've taken with it so far (admittedly only looking at rear screen, but at least a few were shot with extreme background lighting which would have presumably shown up darkening towards the edges in a heartbeat, unless of course I've overlooked a setting that has done something else in the camera in response to the lens!)

Yes, sorry Trevor, I goofed. It is indeed apsc. I'll try to get some samples up for people using the Zf, as I'm not seeing any fall off in coverage from the shots I've taken with it so far (admittedly only looking at rear screen, but at least a few were shot with extreme background lighting which would have presumably shown up darkening towards the edges in a heartbeat, unless of course I've overlooked a setting that has done something else in the camera in response to the lens!)
It's possible that the camera has automatically put itself into crop mode. You could check the resultant image size in comparison with something taken on a known full-frame lens.

Photo Shooting Menu
Image Area
DX Crop Alert ON

There’s no doubt if it covered the Full Frame.
Yes but it is a DX lens as it only covers APSC.
I have this lens on my Fuji XT5 and it is great.
I really would love this as a full frame Z lens.

The problem with the Viltrox 75 and the ZF combo is that you will only get an image that’s circa 9mp which these days is not acceptable to most people. On a Z8 /9 it would bother me less, shame.

A raw file, straight from the camera is attached, taken yesterday, 75mm, wide open

Looking in lightroom, it says the dimensions are 3984 x 2656 <- this is DX size, yes?

Rear screen preview on camera gives same dimensions and says RAW L. I switched on the crop alert and took a few more, and didn't see anything obvious to alert me that it had switched to crop mode

Last edited:
A raw file, straight from the camera is attached, taken yesterday, 75mm, wide open

Looking in lightroom, it says the dimensions are 3984 x 2656 <- this is DX size, yes?

Rear screen preview on camera gives same dimensions and says RAW L. I switched on the crop alert and took a few more, and didn't see anything obvious to alert me that it had switched to crop mode
Yes that's DX
Can't open that file.

Had a couple of hours out yesterday at Gnoll Park so it give me the option to try our my recent purchase. When out next I have noted some of the peaking suggestions which have been mentioned in above posts.

Z8 & 70-200mm f2.8

Thumbs up

Thumbs Up by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Edits: Had to post three individual posts for above, they wouldn't all post onto one post. Possible issue with IT which is affecting the world and now TP?

Z8 Voigtlander 50mm f2 APO

Taken photos of this tree many times over the years, after speaking to a local lady yesterday it's due for the chop due to some disease.

The tree with a face @ Gnoll Park. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Reminds me of this Simon

TP_tree_SA.jpg

Can someone explain if the wide area L focusing box on the Z8 should cover the entire width of the viewfinder as I tried one yesterday and it only covered approx. 50% in the middle?

Last edited:
I think it’s fixed. You can change the C1 and c2 box sizes to suit yourself.
I just use pinpoint, c1, c2 and auto area. I cycle through these very quickly using the video record button which I’ve re-assigned to this task.
Auto area covers the full viewfinder.

Thanks Peter. Far different to the Sony wide option. Plus Ive read it prioritises to close objects. I looked at the c1/2 options but I don't think they'd be any good for me.

Last edited:
some attractive images being posted

the Zf - I'm still "getting to grips" with MF for close ups and portraits - focus peaking gives a lot of red lines but when I spot focus on say an eye or even a face it's just hit and miss - it is a lot easier with my D850 as focus confirm is shown by a white dot which most of the time very accurate, also with my M cameras I find that the RF patch is a lot easier than the focus peaking on the Zf - (as I said for close ups/portraits when the lens is wide open or thereabouts)

I have been having a play around with MF focussing on the Z8 and for me when the focus dot turns green it's showing focus confirmation and it seems accurate. I have my peaking colour set to Yellow which I find the best for me after trying all of the different colours.

It's been a while since I had my D850 but I find mirrorless a lot easier for MF from memory.

Also, there some tips on the previous page for MF which maybe of use. I know you have faster glass than my F2 lens, so having a look back at posts may help Bill.
some attractive images being posted

the Zf - I'm still "getting to grips" with MF for close ups and portraits - focus peaking gives a lot of red lines but when I spot focus on say an eye or even a face it's just hit and miss - it is a lot easier with my D850 as focus confirm is shown by a white dot which most of the time very accurate, also with my M cameras I find that the RF patch is a lot easier than the focus peaking on the Zf - (as I said for close ups/portraits when the lens is wide open or thereabouts)

Last edited:
I have been having a play around with MF focussing on the Z8 and for me when the focus dot turns green it's showing focus confirmation and it seems accurate. I have my peaking colour set to Yellow which I find the best for me after trying all of the different colours.

It's been a while since I had my D850 but I find mirrorless a lot easier for MF from memory.

Also, there some tips on the previous page for MF which maybe of use. I know you have faster glass than my F2 lens, so having a look back at posts may help Bill.

Does the Zf have a focus dot Simon ? - I cannot find one, just focus peaking with MF lenses

How can the MF lens tell the Zf that focus is a confirm if there are no electronic conection between the MF lens and the camera if the adapter is "dumb"

(I do press the "+" button to get a close up which helps)

Last edited:
Back