Nikon Z* mirrorless

Does the Zf have a focus dot Simon ? - I cannot find one, just focus peaking with MF lenses

(I do press the "+" button to get a close up which helps)

Hi Bill perhaps I haven't explained it properly.

I have focus area set to Single - point AF (my version of dot)and then I have the Subject detection turned off. So when I'm manual focussing, the small square with a cross in the middle of the square on the VF turns green when I achieve focus. Seems accurate for me. My fastest lens is f2, if you have faster lenses focus is harder I believe due to the shallow DOF. You can step your lens down to say f5.6 to try and help achieve focus then back to f1.4 if that's what you require.

I would expect the ZF to be the same?

Hope the above makes sense.

I have focus area set to Single - point AF (my version of dot)and then I have the Subject detection turned off. So when I'm manual focussing, the small square with a cross in the middle of the square on the VF turns green when I achieve focus. Seems accurate for me. My fastest lens is f2, if you have faster lenses focus is harder I believe due to the shallow DOF. You can step your lens down to say f5.6 to try and help achieve focus then back to f1.4 if that's what you require.

Simon. I’m assuming your manual focus lenses are chipped. Our dumb lenses don’t focus confirm. Hence use of peaking and 100% zoom by pressing a button.
My chipped Voigtlander 50 gives confirmation.

Simon. I’m assuming your manual focus lenses are chipped. Our dumb lenses don’t focus confirm. Hence use of peaking and 100% zoom by pressing a button.

Thanks guys - I edited my initial post before I read your replies - to get focus confirm from the Zf you have to buy certain adapters, (most are around £200) and use MF that have an electronic conection - as Trevor says "our" MF lenses are dumb - (compared with the D850/750/810 which gives focus confirm with dumb MF lenses)

Search NEEWER" NW-ETZ PRO adapters

Last edited:
Thanks guys - I edited my initial post before I read your replies - to get focus confirm from the Zf you have to buy certain adapters, (most are around £200) and use MF that have an electronic conection - as Trevor says "our" MF lenses are dumb - (compared with the D850/750/810 which gives focus confirm with dumb MF lenses)

Search NEEWER" NW-ETZ PRO adapters
Doh! Yes my lenses are chipped, I was wondering what the problem was. I'll go back to bed and have a lie down.:LOL:

For the resolution and image size I need, I''m not seeing any discernible difference between my ZF and ZFC images. The ZFC is so much lighter and smaller it better suits what I do. I'll be selling my ZF shortly and have just purchased a new ZFC. Wasn't expecting that outcome but..
Interesting. I’m just in the process of acquiring a ZFC as a second camera. I’m sure the IQ will be up to my requirements. The main flea in the ointment is that the ZFC does not have IBIS, which is useful for a person of my advanced years.

Interesting. I’m just in the process of acquiring a ZFC as a second camera. I’m sure the IQ will be up to my requirements. The main flea in the ointment is that the ZFC does not have IBIS, which is useful for a person of my advanced years.

I do almost exclusively manual everything so IBIS is not really a consideration for me.

For the resolution and image size I need, I''m not seeing any discernible difference between my ZF and ZFC images. The ZFC is so much lighter and smaller it better suits what I do. I'll be selling my ZF shortly and have just purchased a new ZFC. Wasn't expecting that outcome but..
Golly…

I must admit the ZFC is a fine camera, I had a silver one for a while which I stupidly sold for an X-Pro2. I was looking for a used black ZFC lately but couldn’t find one so ended up with the ZF. :ROFLMAO:

I must admit the ZFC is a fine camera, I had a silver one for a while which I stupidly sold for an X-Pro2. I was looking for a used black ZFC lately but couldn’t find one so ended up with the ZF. :ROFLMAO:

I managed to snag an "as new" black ZF-C from MPB for £580.

Zfc, anyone got the gr-1 grip on it?

I just researched that again and the GR-1 doesn’t have the arca Swiss base so that killed it for me. Have ordered the SmallRig and the Neewer to compare. They’ll arrive today so will update later with my findings. I had the SmallRig one on my last one so I know that works well.

Last edited:
I just researched that again and the GR-1 doesn’t have the arca Swiss base so that killed it for me. Have ordered the SmallRig and the Neewer to compare. They’ll arrive today so will update later with my findings. I had the SmallRig one on my last one so I know that works well.
Im sure it will vastly improve the ergonomics.

I'm reserving grip options on mine till I've tried it naked (the camera, before you start). Mine is coming with a Smallrig half-case, apparently. Should be here this morning. The who;e point of me getting the Zfc is compactness. A thumb rest sounds interesting though.

I'm reserving grip options on mine till I've tried it naked (the camera, before you start). Should be here this morning. The who;e point of me getting the Zfc is compactness. A thumb rest sounds interesting though.

Having previously used a ZFC for a couple of years I found both the finger grip and thumb grip essential. You also need a tripod plate so the grips that include an Arca Swiss plate kill two birds with one stone.

Having previously used a ZFC for a couple of years I found both the finger grip and thumb grip essential. You also need a tripod plate so the grips that include an Arca Swiss plate kill two birds with one stone.
Can't remember the last time I used a tripod (and I have 3 of the things) so I keep a plate on each of the heads, just in case. The Zf grip, of course, has the in-built plate, and that is the camera I am most likely to use with a 'pod.

I think I have finished changing my lens line up. Last on the list was a Macro/Portrait type prime lens for me to have a play with. As I'm not very steady on my feet I decided to get the Z 85mm f1.8 lens over the 105mm Macro and add some Meike 11mm & 18mm extension tubes to the 85mm. The extra price for the 105mm wasn't justified for my use.

The 85mm lens seems super sharp on it's own.

Some flower trials, I liked how the flowers were holding all the water after the recent downpours... Not sure the name on flowers as the wife deals with that!!

Macro Trial Nikon Z 85mm f1.8 and Meike Extension Tubes by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Macro Trial Nikon Z 85mm f1.8 and Meike Extension Tubes by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think I have finished changing my lens line up. Last on the list was a Macro/Portrait type prime lens for me to have a play with. As I'm not very steady on my feet I decided to get the Z 85mm f1.8 lens over the 105mm Macro and add some Meike 11mm & 18mm extension tubes to the 85mm. The extra price for the 105mm wasn't justified for my use.

The 85mm lens seems super sharp on it's own.

Some flower trials, I liked how the flowers were holding all the water after the recent downpours... Not sure the name on flowers as the wife deals with that!!

Well, the first one is a red flower, and the second is a yellow one. And that’s the extent of my horticultural expertise.

Well, the first one is a red flower, and the second is a yellow one. And that’s the extent of my horticultural expertise.
I with my gardening 'expert' hat on would agree. That is the limit of my expertise on that subject.
I have the 105mm f2.8 macro and would say that it is probably better at the edges. I bought the Viltrox 85mm f1.8 as I thought that I might be tempted to get an 85mm from Nikon but I would want a f1.4 Z version.

The Great Stone of Fourstones. Another with the Zfc and kit 16-50. The dog is wondering just how high she can pee on it.

DSC_0012.jpg by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
The kit lenses are actually very good. Wish the mounts weren’t plastic but the glass is sharp.
Yes, just a little aperture-challenged. I keep telling myself that actually plastics have come on a long way since my Airfix kits :D

Does this photo work, taken from a recent trip to Gnoll Park? The wife likes it but I'm not too sure.

Z8 & 50mm Voigtlander.

Gnoll Park....Water & Trees by Swansea Jack, on Flickr
To be honest, I’m not sure where my eyes should go - what were you actually photographing? The curved tree? The meandering brook? Not quite sure. Lovely colours and shades of green, though. Everyone sees images differently so that’s just my opinion. :)

To be honest, I’m not sure where my eyes should go - what were you actually photographing? The curved tree? The meandering brook? Not quite sure. Lovely colours and shades of green, though. Everyone sees images differently so that’s just my opinion. :)
I liked the light through the trees, but it seemed more darker at the time of shooting and more moody if that makes sense. My wife likes it for the reasons you state, winding brook and curved tree. I'm not sure, I will come back to it. Thanks for the reply though (y)

Back