Nikon Z* mirrorless

I liked the light through the trees, but it seemed more darker at the time of shooting and more moody if that makes sense. My wife likes it for the reasons you state, winding brook and curved tree. I'm not sure, I will come back to it. Thanks for the reply though (y)
There are a couple of crops to be had on the left which I think would help direct you forward to the water or slightly lighten the curved trunk. Whichever way, I like it.

Having previously used a ZFC for a couple of years I found both the finger grip and thumb grip essential. You also need a tripod plate so the grips that include an Arca Swiss plate kill two birds with one stone.
Well, you were right about the grip. I've just tried the Neewer on mine and, yes, it does make as much difference as one does on the Zf. I'm happy enough with the normal thumb position, though.

Well, you were right about the grip. I've just tried the Neewer on mine and, yes, it does make as much difference as one does on the Zf. I'm happy enough with the normal thumb position, though.

The thumb grip is great for my hands which are a "glove medium". It just places the thumb a bit higher which gives me a firmer grip on everything and makes handling larger lenses for effortless. Try one off Amazon and just return it if you don't find it works. This is the one I have:

I've returned the Neewer and kept the SmallRig. I liked the Neewer but I didn't like the red stripe down the front. Functionally it was spot on, though, as is the SmallRig.

The thumb grip is great for my hands which are a "glove medium". It just places the thumb a bit higher which gives me a firmer grip on everything and makes handling larger lenses for effortless. Try one off Amazon and just return it if you don't find it works. This is the one I have:

I've returned the Neewer and kept the SmallRig. I liked the Neewer but I didn't like the red stripe down the front. Functionally it was spot on, though, as is the SmallRig.
I’ve tried thumb grips on other cameras and never got on with them.
My Neewer grip is the aluminium coloured one, not the black with the red stripe. I had to scroll down the Amazon list to find it.

I’ve tried thumb grips on other cameras and never got on with them.
My Neewer grip is the aluminium coloured one, not the black with the red stripe. I had to scroll down the Amazon list to find it.

Ahh, OK. You have the silver ZFC. Makes sense.

No, no! I insist you get a ruddy thumb grip!! :ROFLMAO:

Quick day trip to the Capital, I always forget how beautiful the HOP are ! Taken from an Uber Water Taxi as I'm too tight to pay for a proper tour ! ZFC and 12-28

53886397656_99e20a6933_h.jpg

Last edited:
Horticulturally speaking, this is definitely a white flower with purple stripes. And a yellow middle. Zfc and 16-50 kit lens.

White and purple by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
For all you guys with huge sensors i've listed a 325Gb CFexpress B card in the classifieds

Hiya all, after just over 2 years away from photography as a weekend hobby (previously used an Olympus and then a Sony system for a short while after that, to when I unfortunately had to sell up); I’m happy to say I’m back!

I’ve just got myself a Nikon z6ii & 24-120 F4 S and I love it!

So I look forward to posting again and I’m sure I’ll have some questions if that’s okay aha.

On that note, any immediate tips or advice for seating to set, for the z6ii would be very much appreciated

Thanks, Joe

Morning, since getting the Z6ii at the weekend I’ve been researching all sorts of things including the following, which I was hoping for some advice on:

1. Being my first camera to have CFexpress compatibility, are they worth it over UHS-ii SD cards?

2. RAW processing software. I used to use LR classic, but wondered if there was any other good options for Nikon files??

For ref my photography is purely hobby and pretty much a bit of anything really. I don’t have one specific type of photography I do, although I do particularly enjoy taking wildlife and nature shots.

Morning, since getting the Z6ii at the weekend I’ve been researching all sorts of things including the following, which I was hoping for some advice on:

1. Being my first camera to have CFexpress compatibility, are they worth it over UHS-ii SD cards?

2. RAW processing software. I used to use LR classic, but wondered if there was any other good options for Nikon files??

For ref my photography is purely hobby and pretty much a bit of anything really. I don’t have one specific type of photography I do, although I do particularly enjoy taking wildlife and nature shots.

I think that the drive to provide video in cameras makes the need to have CFExpress cards a necessity.
Personally I dont "do" video so for me the need to have these card is a waste of money. I would rather have two SD cards but that is a personal preference. I have been looking to find an adapter that allows the CFExpress slot to be filled by a SD card. However I dont think this is technically possible but would be very happy to be proved wrong.

I think that the drive to provide video in cameras makes the need to have CFExpress cards a necessity.
Personally I dont "do" video so for me the need to have these card is a waste of money. I would rather have two SD cards but that is a personal preference. I have been looking to find an adapter that allows the CFExpress slot to be filled by a SD card. However I dont think this is technically possible but would be very happy to be proved wrong.
With the high FPS and MP on some cameras you need the CF express cards for photos if you want the use the full capability of the camera

With the high FPS and MP on some cameras you need the CF express cards for photos if you want the use the full capability of the camera
Thanks both, really appreciate your help.

I think it’s sounds a sensible idea to get one then as I do want to delve into video and allow the camera it’s full potential :)

Any tips on software??

If you’re used to and have LR stick with that. For Nikon files it’s as good as it gets. I’ve never felt the need to look elsewhere with my Nikon RAW files.
Yeah I think that’s what I’ll do. Just need to get me head round Classic or the CC version.

From what I can see CC is missing things but allows good sharing/workflow across multiple devices. However I don’t work like that, I just work on a single MacBook.

Yeah I think that’s what I’ll do. Just need to get me head round Classic or the CC version.

From what I can see CC is missing things but allows good sharing/workflow across multiple devices. However I don’t work like that, I just work on a single MacBook.
If you just work on a MacBook, LR classic is the way to go. I have CC on my phone & iPad as well for quick editing when I’m away from home and want to download a photo or two. I don’t use it for much else as I’d rather work on my iMac.

100% agree with you on this and it's the reason I bought a CFexpress card for the Z8. Initially I would have preferred to have two SD slots but being able to sustain high speed shooting without even buffering is incredibly useful.

Reactions: nog
Who else is using the 14-30mm f/4 S and/or 24-70mm f/4 S with a ZFC. I was thinking of changing lenses after going back to the ZFC and then gave my head a wobble. Can't see any reason to. Yes, they'll have a longer FOV but other than that they should be spot on. Both balance beautifully on the ZFC, too. Haven't had time to shoot with them yet, though, so just wondered who else used this combo?

100% agree with you on this and it's the reason I bought a CFexpress card for the Z8. Initially I would have preferred to have two SD slots but being able to sustain high speed shooting without even buffering is incredibly useful.
What make and speed, plus have you set he* raw?

Last edited:
I used to use CaptureOne Pro but moved back to Lightroom Classic. Both have strengths and weaknesses but the Adobe price is better/cheaper that the CO subscription.

Hiya All,

Some images taken in London a couple of weeks ago - The City, and near The Shard/London Bridge area.

London, UK

Nikon Zf
Nikon Z Nikkor 26mm f/2.8
Voigtlander 21mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar (Sony E mount adapted to Nikon Z mount)

Cheers,
Shane.
Excellent images Shane. I love the processing. Care to share what you used?

Back