Nikon Z* mirrorless

Changing the subject once more (there’s a pattern appearing here), how are you finding the 50-250? BTW I have followed your lead and today ordered that Vanguard bag.
Reviews of the 50-250 lens are generally positive and that is my experience. Images are sharp, with good colour rendering and contrast. I think it outperforms it's price point. I use it as a walkabout sometimes instead of the 16-50. Glad to have been of help with the bag recommendation.

You have some stunning images on your Flickr. How do you find your 100-400mm vs your 500mm PF and 300mm? Which 300mm f/4 do you use?
Thanks Gil, kind of you to say so :giggle:

The 100-400 is really good, sharp and handles nicely. The extending barrel doesn't really seem to affect balance significantly either which is a plus. So much so that I've now sold the 300 f4

I had the 300 PF (which was used almost exclusively with a 1.4x TC) and 70-200 f2.8 FL previously and it's effectively replaced both of them in my kit bag for the stuff I shoot. The Z 100-400 is considerably sharper than the 300 PF and TC combo, with closer MFD which helps for insects, etc.

I'd say the 500 PF is a bit sharper than the Z 100-400 and resolves really well, so you can crop in really heavily and still retain decent image quality. IMO the 500 PF is an absolute bargain at the current used prices

Edit: the only negative with the 500 PF on a Z mount body (I use a Z8) is that because of the FTZ it doesn't balance quite as nicely as on my old D850

Last edited:
Anybody used the Zeiss Distagon 21mm either on your Nikon DSLR or mirrorless cameras, if so what are your thoughts on the lens?

Thanks Gil, kind of you to say so :giggle:

The 100-400 is really good, sharp and handles nicely. The extending barrel doesn't really seem to affect balance significantly either which is a plus. So much so that I've now sold the 300 f4

I had the 300 PF (which was used almost exclusively with a 1.4x TC) and 70-200 f2.8 FL previously and it's effectively replaced both of them in my kit bag for the stuff I shoot. The Z 100-400 is considerably sharper than the 300 PF and TC combo, with closer MFD which helps for insects, etc.

I'd say the 500 PF is a bit sharper than the Z 100-400 and resolves really well, so you can crop in really heavily and still retain decent image quality. IMO the 500 PF is an absolute bargain at the current used prices

Edit: the only negative with the 500 PF on a Z mount body (I use a Z8) is that because of the FTZ it doesn't balance quite as nicely as on my old D850
Thanks for the insight. Need to keep my eyes peeled for a bargain on the 500mm. CEX had a few earlier in the year for £1300. Ordered one and ended up receiving the 200-500mm which I promptly returned. I don’t normally buy from CEX due to their lack of knowledge but I couldn’t resist that offer.

Last photo to share from my recent Peak District trip. A first visit to Wyming Brook for me. I wish I'd got there before the mass tree felling. This was the only composition I could come up with that avoided fallen trees and other debris. Speaking to another tog there it seems it's already better than it was, but it's still an eyesore in places. Z8 and Tamron 17-35 OSD

Wyming Brook by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nikon ZFC with AF-P DX Nikkor 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR. This little lens is a stunner. Tack sharp and £189 from MPB shipped in new condition with the hood. On the ZFC this produces images right up there with the 14-30mm S but at a fraction of the cost. My copy won't be going anywhere except on the camera most days.

SB-TP-1.jpg

SB-TP-2.jpg

What batteries do you prefer in the z8?
Same for me, Nikon OEM ones - I have 2, the one that came with the Z8 and one of the older 'A' type. Initially I thought I might need more batteries, but I'm not finding battery utilisation significantly worse than with an equivalent DSLR (although I tend to go through batteries more quickly for wildlife than for general use)

Last edited:
What batteries do you prefer in the z8?
I got a spare oem battery, also got a couple of powerextra batteries with a usb twin charger for £25ish . Find the usb charger handy when away for a few days. The powerextra seem ok atm,, long term maybe not?

I got a spare oem battery, also got a couple of powerextra batteries with a usb twin charger for £25ish . Find the usb charger handy when away for a few days. The powerextra seem ok atm,, long term maybe not?
I've previously used Neewer and found them OK. Was thinking of the SmallRig units

Okay all. Equipment is getting a little bulky and heavy, plus i am not using the equipment so much now a days, so I am on the verge of selling my Nikon D750 and lenses. Moving over to a mirrorless system, maybe Z6 or Z7 plus lens. Any thoughts on my decision please.

Okay all. Equipment is getting a little bulky and heavy, plus i am not using the equipment so much now a days, so I am on the verge of selling my Nikon D750 and lenses. Moving over to a mirrorless system, maybe Z6 or Z7 plus lens. Any thoughts on my decision please.
Depends on what you shoot. The Z6/Z7 style bodies are small and light, the Z50 (DX) and it's two lens kit is a small and light setup.

Depends on what you shoot. The Z6/Z7 style bodies are small and light, the Z50 (DX) and it's two lens kit is a small and light setup.
Thanks... I am an all rounder now a days, but mainly shoot landscapes and classic cars, do like street photography as well. I would have felt the varied type of photography would be more down to the glass.

Thanks... I am an all rounder now a days, but mainly shoot landscapes and classic cars, do like street photography as well. I would have felt the varied type of photography would be more down to the glass.
Many functions and features relating to different types of photography are body specific e.g Focus, fps, megapixels etc as well as cost.

looks like a very strong contrast reprocessing which suits the subject admirably. One of your most striking photos, I would say. Only shame about what looks like a wing mirror on the left hand side. Lightroom might be able to assist in getting rid of it.

looks like a very strong contrast reprocessing which suits the subject admirably. One of your most striking photos, I would say. Only shame about what looks like a wing mirror on the left hand side. Lightroom might be able to assist in getting rid of it.
Thanks David. Yes, it was a wing mirror. In the time I had available I was unable to reposition myself or reframe without losing the sheeps. I left it in because it was there! (just me being me)

Had a go in LR. This is what resulted

Round-up v2 by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks David. Yes, it was a wing mirror. In the time I had available I was unable to reposition myself or reframe without losing the sheeps. I left it in because it was there! (just me being me)

Had a go in LR. This is what resulted

Round-up v2 by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
a definite improvement, I would say. The wing mirror now just looks sheepish!

and so you should, says this 100-400 owner ;).
Haha! Maybe one day when I feel the need. I’ve never really been a long lens fan, so 200mm seems like I can conquer the world with it at present. Problem is I more I shoot at longer focal lengths the longer I want. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Don’t know if this will be of interest, but in an idle moment I asked a “Chat Bot” what DX lenses were available in native Z mount. This is the result:

“ Here is a list of all the Nikon Z-mount DX (APS-C) lenses available. These lenses are designed specifically for Nikon's Z-mount mirrorless cameras with APS-C sensors, such as the Nikon Z 50, Z fc, and Z 30.

### Nikon Z DX Lenses:

1. **Nikon Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR**

- Focal Length: 16-50mm (24-75mm full-frame equivalent)

- Aperture: f/3.5-6.3

- Features: Vibration Reduction (VR), retractable design

2. **Nikon Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR**

- Focal Length: 50-250mm (75-375mm full-frame equivalent)

- Aperture: f/4.5-6.3

- Features: Vibration Reduction (VR), compact design

3. **Nikon Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR**

- Focal Length: 18-140mm (27-210mm full-frame equivalent)

- Aperture: f/3.5-6.3

- Features: Vibration Reduction (VR), versatile zoom range

4. **Nikon Z DX 24mm f/1.7**

- Focal Length: 24mm (36mm full-frame equivalent)

- Aperture: f/1.7

- Features: Compact prime lens, bright maximum aperture

### Upcoming or Announced Lenses:

While Nikon frequently announces new lenses, it's important to check official sources or recent announcements for any new additions to their Z DX lineup.

This list covers the primary options available for the Z-mount APS-C format. If you are considering specific use cases, some FX (full-frame) lenses might also work well with crop-sensor Z cameras, though they'll have a 1.5x crop factor.

Yes, several third-party manufacturers have started to offer lenses compatible with Nikon's Z-mount APS-C (DX) cameras. Here's a list of some of the available options:

### 3rd Party Lenses for Nikon Z DX Mount:

1. **Viltrox AF 23mm f/1.4 Z**

- Focal Length: 23mm (35mm full-frame equivalent)

- Aperture: f/1.4

- Features: Autofocus, fast aperture, compact design

2. **Viltrox AF 33mm f/1.4 Z**

- Focal Length: 33mm (50mm full-frame equivalent)

- Features: Autofocus, fast aperture, versatile standard prime

3. **Viltrox AF 56mm f/1.4 Z**

- Focal Length: 56mm (84mm full-frame equivalent)

- Features: Autofocus, ideal for portraits with fast aperture

4. **Tamron 11-20mm f/2.8 Di III-A RXD**

- Focal Length: 11-20mm (16.5-30mm full-frame equivalent)

- Aperture: f/2.8

- Features: Ultra-wide zoom, constant aperture, RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) for fast and quiet autofocus

5. **Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN | Contemporary**

- Focal Length: 18-50mm (27-75mm full-frame equivalent)

- Aperture: f/2.8

- Features: Constant aperture, compact design, versatile zoom range

These lenses offer a range of focal lengths and features that complement Nikon's own DX lens lineup, particularly in terms of fast primes and specialized zooms. Third-party lenses often provide more options at different price points, expanding the versatility of your Nikon Z DX camera. “

If you're looking for up to date lists of lenses then I'd recommend using camerapricebuster which includes the 12-28mm lens which is missing from above:

Unfortunately they don't separate the FF and DX lenses but the APS-C lenses all have DX in their name.

If you're looking for up to date lists of lenses then I'd recommend using camerapricebuster which includes the 12-28mm lens which is missing from above:

Unfortunately they don't separate the FF and DX lenses but the APS-C lenses all have DX in their name.
Yes! I regularly use this site for both new and used. It’s great if you know what you’re looking for.

Back