Nikon Z* mirrorless

Has anyone got a Z6III yet? I’ve got one in my basket but haven’t got around to pulling the trigger just yet!

I had no idea what ghyll scrambling was (sounds Welsh) but it sounds most unpleasant! Like the colours in your second photo and, unlike with my test copy of the 24-200, looks decent near the edges at 24mm.

I had no idea what ghyll scrambling was (sounds Welsh) but it sounds most unpleasant! Like the colours in your second photo and, unlike with my test copy of the 24-200, looks decent near the edges at 24mm.
I have a funny feeling that this copy is actually a tad softer than my last iteration. Mind you, this was on the Zfc. If I were you, I would keep ignorant of ghyll scrambling. It is indeed very unpleasant, although MrsL and son number 2 thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Ah, your photo was the Zfc so actually cropped. So of course no direct comparison. I have no wish to further familiarise myself with ghyll scrambling, thanks very much.

I was seriously impressed with the Z8 and 400mm f4.5 this morning. I've always had a low of getting a low point of view. It just makes any photo so much better. This morning whilst out for sunrise to see what's going on at my local deer park I was photographing some Red Deer but wanted to get lower. As I didn't have a tripod on me for support and not wanting too lay on the slightly wet ground I thought I'd try holding Z8 and 400mm f4.5 about a foot off the ground. I was supporting the lens/camera with my left hand whilst kneeling. I held it in front of me with the rear screen angled upwards rather than look through the view finder. To my surprise it worked getting a sharp image at 1/250 at 400mm whilst using it like a mobile phone!

Young Red Deer by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Compared to my previous Nikon wildlife combo of D810 and 200-400 f4 the Z8 and 400mm f4.5 combo is so freeing from a size and weight point of view. The performance of AF and VR is impressive. I can see this changing how I do wildlife photography.

Last edited:
I was seriously impressed with the Z8 and 400mm f4.5 this morning. I've always had a low of getting a low point of view. It just makes any photo so much better. This morning whilst out for sunrise to see what's going on at my local deer park I was photographing some Red Deer but wanted to get lower. As I didn't have a tripod on me for support and not wanting too lay on the slightly wet ground I thought I'd try holding Z8 and 400mm f4.5 about a foot off the ground. I was supporting the lens/camera with my left hand whilst kneeling. I held it in front of me with the rear screen angled upwards rather than look through the view finder. To my surprise it worked getting a sharp image at 1/250 at 400mm whilst using it like a mobile phone!

Compared to my previous Nikon wildlife combo of D810 and 200-400 f4 the Z8 and 400mm f4.5 combo is so freeing from a size and weight point of view. The performance of AF and VR is impressive. I can see this changing how I do wildlife photography.
Lovely image Rob, when I had my Z9, I had the 400 4.5 and it was a stunning lens even with both TC’s I moved to Sony for a while but back with Nikon Z8 and 180-600 but really wanting the 400 4.5 again

A couple from today's dog walk. Zfc and 16-50 kit lens. (the mill is where Mrs L now works part-time to fund my photography :exit:)

The Mill by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Cloud by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Lovely image Rob, very atmospheric - the OOF foreground, background and lighting combine to make this a real stand-out - well done :)

Anyone on here using the 14-24 f/2.8 S lens? If so, which filters did you go for and how have you found them?

I might just give in to the GAS as it's cheaper than buying into digital MF for landscapes (although I suspect it won't stave off the GAS forever)! :LOL:

Anyone on here using the 14-24 f/2.8 S lens? If so, which filters did you go for and how have you found them?

I might just give in to the GAS as it's cheaper than buying into digital MF for landscapes (although I suspect it won't stave off the GAS forever)! :LOL:
Not using the 14-24mm f2.8 S but instead opted for the 14-30mm f4 as this uses 82mm filters.
I have the 14-24mm f2.8 AFS that I can use if I need the shallower DOF but I almost never use it except on my D810.

Not using the 14-24mm f2.8 S but instead opted for the 14-30mm f4 as this uses 82mm filters.
I have the 14-24mm f2.8 AFS that I can use if I need the shallower DOF but I almost never use it except on my D810.
I've been pondering it for ages - I've got an F mount 17-35 Tamron as it stands that I'm looking to replace - ideally I want wider than 17mm, but faster than f4 so either the 14-30 f4 or 17-28 f2.8 is a compromise - hence thinking about the 14-24 f2.8. I'm planning to use it for astro in addition to general landscapes

Back