Nikon Z* mirrorless

Hope your shoulder gets better soon. On the other hand if it doesn't, I could see myself being in the market for your Zf eventually
;)
Well, it's back to square one at the moment. It had been cured, but ... If I had a porter that would improve things, but the dog isn't right keen.And Mrs L just comes out with the most unlady-like comments.

I imagine it will improve. i used to have shoulder problems at times when I was younger in particular -- it tended to come and go a bit. I won't speculate what Mrs L has to say on the matter -- it might not be suitable for a family forum....

I've been away from digital for a few years now, haven't even used any film gear for a couple either. But I've just picked up a used Z5 and have ordered a new 50 1.8S to go with it, should be with me tomorrow. I'm rather excited about it, the Z system seems like great value for money and the new glass seems to be some of the best available at the moment. I'll try to start sharing some shots when I find my rhythm with it again.

I've had a problem with a very reluctant dust bunny that I couldn't shift with a blower and found the Z8 does have a dust shield (I thought it was a Z9 only feature) but it's disabled by default. On reading some discussions the only downsides I've seen are that the camera is slightly slower to start up and there's a bit of noise but neither seems an issue, have any Z8/Z9 owners chosen to leave it disabled on purpose?

I'm also back to debating an ultrawide lens and currently still using a very old F-mount Sigma 12-24mm (the original one) and I'd like something better, I had a look at a second hand Sigma 12-24mm Art for around £500 which seems to be the ideal upgrade but it's quite a hefty size and weight particularly the diameter which I'm concerned would mean I'd end up not using it. I bought a good condition F-mount Nikon 14-24mm but I didn't like the tight zoom rings on it, while it wasn't small it felt a bit more manageable on the Z8.

The next obvious option seems to be the 14-30mm which is a lot smaller and lighter than the F-mount lenses although it's around double the cost and loses the ultrawide 12mm. The reviews seem mixed on it although I'm finding it difficult to get a good idea on it since the same reviewer will say it's not that great but then to consider it instead of the more expensive f2.8 version.

I've had a problem with a very reluctant dust bunny that I couldn't shift with a blower and found the Z8 does have a dust shield (I thought it was a Z9 only feature) but it's disabled by default. On reading some discussions the only downsides I've seen are that the camera is slightly slower to start up and there's a bit of noise but neither seems an issue, have any Z8/Z9 owners chosen to leave it disabled on purpose?

I'm also back to debating an ultrawide lens and currently still using a very old F-mount Sigma 12-24mm (the original one) and I'd like something better, I had a look at a second hand Sigma 12-24mm Art for around £500 which seems to be the ideal upgrade but it's quite a hefty size and weight particularly the diameter which I'm concerned would mean I'd end up not using it. I bought a good condition F-mount Nikon 14-24mm but I didn't like the tight zoom rings on it, while it wasn't small it felt a bit more manageable on the Z8.

The next obvious option seems to be the 14-30mm which is a lot smaller and lighter than the F-mount lenses although it's around double the cost and loses the ultrawide 12mm. The reviews seem mixed on it although I'm finding it difficult to get a good idea on it since the same reviewer will say it's not that great but then to consider it instead of the more expensive f2.8 version.
I presume you want a zoom w/a rather than fixed length? I mention it because I have a Viltrox 16mm which I don’t use and may put in Classifieds.

It's one of the first things I enabled on my Z8 when I got it and have never turned it off since, and have never had to clean the sensor on either my Z8 or Z9. If it is slower to start up, it's almost imperceptible ?

It's one of the first things I enabled on my Z8 when I got it and have never turned it off since, and have never had to clean the sensor on either my Z8 or Z9. If it is slower to start up, it's almost imperceptible ?
I've enabled it on mine now but just seems odd to have it disabled by default given it does seem to be effective.

I'm also back to debating an ultrawide lens and currently still using a very old F-mount Sigma 12-24mm (the original one) and I'd like something better, I had a look at a second hand Sigma 12-24mm Art for around £500 which seems to be the ideal upgrade but it's quite a hefty size and weight particularly the diameter which I'm concerned would mean I'd end up not using it. I bought a good condition F-mount Nikon 14-24mm but I didn't like the tight zoom rings on it, while it wasn't small it felt a bit more manageable on the Z8
As it happens, I'm just reorganising my limited UWA setup as we speak. For my DSLR (a Df), I finally decided on a Tamron 15-30 which goes for very little these days (just over £300 I'm paying) despite being arguably the best wideangle zoom before mirrorless. It's heavy but I'll put up with it -- I'm used to 1.3kg telephotos anyway. I know where you're coming from and also had a Sigma 12-24 mark i I really liked it back in the day even though objectively it wasn't that great. I had also considered the Sigma 12-24 Art but that's almost twice the price of the Tamron and for that camera would prefer a slightly less extreme f/l. Reason being that for my Z6, I've decided to go with the Laowa 10mm f2.8 AF. Finally there is something very wide which is fast, small, light and can focus almost at touching the lens distance so there's also depth of field control despite the f/l. The rule is that my two lens sets must complement each other and additionally that everything for the Df should be inexpensive, and second hand. The Df itself doesn't seem to depreciate in value at all over time -- surely Nikon's only DSLR in that position.

I've enabled it on mine now but just seems odd to have it disabled by default given it does seem to be effective.
I'd love to have a camera with the dust shield, although there is the occasional report of some dust getting inside anyway. Shame the Zf doesn't have one but I guess it adds to the cost.

I'd love to have a camera with the dust shield, although there is the occasional report of some dust getting inside anyway. Shame the Zf doesn't have one but I guess it adds to the cost.
On my Zf. I remove the battery while the camera is switched on. It closes the shutter. Swap lenses (carefully). Insert battery, fire the shutter. Never had any problems. All good.

On a side note, can anyone answer this really annoying question (which I’m sure is a setting I’ve missed but it’s driving me bonkers.)

On my Z9, if I have the switch on the back set to photo and in say shutter priority mode , then flick the switch across to movie mode, it will remember the last program I had set for movies, which in this case is manual [M]. Then when I flick the switch back to photos it goes right back in mode where I last left off. All good.

However, try as I might on my Z8, whatever shooting mode I’m in when in photo mode, say shutter mode again , then flick the switch across to movie mode, it retains the mode. If I then change the shooting mode to say manual [M] then when I’m done go back to photos mode, then it carries the [M] mode back across and not the mode I last had it set at.

Like I say I’m sure it’s a setting I’ve missed but I can’t for the life of me see where ? Can anyone help.

Last edited:
Back