OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I have recently inherited this lovely camera (and a Minolta SR 7, slides, projector, Cine camera, films and projector). After viewing some of my grandad's medium format slides I really want to have a go with it. Can anyone give me advice on shooting with it please? I have worked out all the controls and settings. I've even managed to find a pdf of the manual online. But I am not sure about how to get the right exposure or how to handle the film.

I takes 120 roll film but I have never handled any film that didn't come in a cartridge like 35mm. How is 120 protected from light? In the manual it says not to load in bright sunlight. Also, there are a lot of different films out there, any tips?

As far as exposure, I have also inherited a vintage light meter (western masters I think) but I don't know how to use it.

microcord.jpg

I takes 120 roll film but I have never handled any film that didn't come in a cartridge like 35mm. How is 120 protected from light? In the manual it says not to load in bright sunlight. Also, there are a lot of different films out there, any tips?

Well - first off, any 120 film you get is going to need to be sent away for processing - even the few places on the highstreet that "process" 120, actually stick it in a bag and send it to a central location for processing. In a way this is a good thing, because you can get away with pretty much any film you like. Personally, I'd get a couple of rolls of normal speed (100-200 iso) film, say a FP4+ for B&W and say Portra 160VC for colour and give it a go.

120 film is protected from the light by the paper backing. This paper runs on its own for quite a way which allows you to load the paper backing onto the take-up spool, close the back and wind on. Usually on the back of hte camera is a red window, which you can see the winding marks on the backing paper. Keep winding until you see a "1" come up - then take the photo. Repeat until you run out of film frame numbers, then keep winding and the paper will eventually all end up on the take up spool. Open the camera in subdued light, remove the finished reel - and seal it closed with the bit of gummed paper that's on the end of the backing paper.

Send it away for processing to somewhere like Peak Imaging (other processors are available, and may be cheaper - I'm only recommending Peak as I can personally vouch for 'em :)) don't forget to get 'em scanned to disk as well,and post the results on here :)

Hi sorry to but in as you are on about film cameras been given vivitar v3000s and 2 lenses know nothing about film any good.

As far as exposure, I have also inherited a vintage light meter (western masters I think) but I don't know how to use it.

First thing is to set the ASA scale (same as ISO) to the film speed you're using.

Then you basically just point the meter at your subject to get a reflected reading which causes a needle to deflect along a scale. You then usually line up a pointer with that needle which in turn aligns the shutter speed and aperure scales to give you the available combinations you can use.

If the meter has a white tranluscent dome either as a separate or a sliding attachment, then once this in in place you can take an incident light reading which means the light falling upon (incident upon) the subject rather than the light reflected from it. To use this method yoiu take a reading from the subject position pointing right back at the camera position.

Have aplay with the meter to get the idea, and check out Google there are loads of articles on metering technique.

Just check out the foam light seals in the film door - they'll almost certainly need replacing in a camera of that vintage unless it's been done recently. If you look at the foam and it's shot, it tends to go all brittle and crumbly or degenerate to a sticky tar- like mess which will no longer protect the film from light fogging.

If the film door slams shut with a clatter like slamming the door on a Hillman Avenger, they definitely need replacing. :D With good seals the film door should just need a slight amount of pressure over the last bit of travel to latch it shut. They're a doddle to replace yourself and kits are available. Sing out if you need help.

Last edited:
Hi sorry to but in as you are on about film cameras been given vivitar v3000s and 2 lenses know nothing about film any good.

Hi and welcome. :wave:

The Vivitar 3000S was a low budget entry level camera, but like all cameras it's perfectly capable of great results. The battery only powers the meter so it's a manual camera with no automation for exposure which is a good thing as long as you're prepared to put in the effort getting to grips with it.

Mastering this type of camera is probably the best introduction you could have to photgraphy.

Ok thanks for welcome and advice so if shooting in daylight need a film speed matching iso 200 or similar.

Ok thanks for welcome and advice so if shooting in daylight need a film speed matching iso 200 or similar.

200 ISO would be good for most daylight stuff but probably get 400 ISO or faster if you're shooting action.

while i'am on just joined was a member on olympus e/system and fourthirds users but sold olympus gear which had for about a year now own a nikon D90 over on that forum you get an email when you get a response to a post is that the same on here or not.

while i'am on just joined was a member on olympus e/system and fourthirds users but sold olympus gear which had for about a year now own a nikon D90 over on that forum you get an email when you get a response to a post is that the same on here or not.

Yes, but tou have enable the option in your user control panel up top. ^^^

Just been into email box no emails from here so not the same will give film camera a go one day when i get a chance thanks for your response cheers.

Thanks to TheBigYin and CT for the info, I've just ordered some film. :)

the postman delivered this reasonably-priced purchase this this morning. I'm intending it to be my 'go-everywhere' film camera.

oly_XA.jpg

Operation seems OK at first glance.

Loaded up with XP2 and I'm off to try it out.

the postman delivered this reasonably-priced purchase this this morning. I'm intending it to be my 'go-everywhere' film camera.

oly_XA.jpg

Operation seems OK at first glance.

Loaded up with XP2 and I'm off to try it out.

I had one of those years ago - a great little camera and genuinely pocketable.

Just a word of warning ...I stuck a nicad battery in the flash despite the warning in the manual that it only too alkalines. It promptly emitted a cloud of smoke, crackled and died! The shop exchanged it with no argument even though I was honest about what happened.

This would have been a very early version - I dunno if it remained the same throughout production?

The manual doesn't say not to use Ni-Cads, but it does suggest Alkalines are preferred.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I don't seem to come in here much these days...

But today I added a Konilette 35 to the Konishiroku collection, (along with a later Konishiroku I (I have one of these already but this one is made after Japan was occupied and has the flash socket). Still looking for the elusive Konishiroku IIIM though!

konilette.jpg

Also, on some weird flight of fancy earlier today, I bought this... should be fun. Has tilt and shift, 1/4 plate, Compur Dial set shutter, all good apparently :D

plate1.jpg

yup - got that one, and the IIIa too :D

Last edited:
It's arrived - the only camera I'll ever need.

Cameras-1.jpg

Now I just need a much, much better lens for it...

Excellent choice - a veritable smorgasbord of knobs, dials, screens and buttons to play with!

I can't stop playing with it! The honeycomb exposure display - amazing. Every camera should have one.

Now I'm trying to get myself a 24-105 D and maybe a couple of primes to match it.

Legendary cameras the lot of them (y)

I should be banned from eBay.....

Just received an email that I bought a Epson 2480 scanner.... I even do not remember bidding on it :puke:

I hope it will do its job as it was not so cheap as I would like it to be ....£20 for it....I have seen some posts on here that you can get 2580 for under a £10 ... but not my luck ;)

I should be banned from eBay.....

Just received an email that I bought a Epson 2480 scanner.... I even do not remember bidding on it :puke:

I hope it will do its job as it was not so cheap as I would like it to be ....£20 for it....I have seen some posts on here that you can get 2580 for under a £10 ... but not my luck ;)

You probably outbid me then :nono:

It's not for mass production but I've got very good results from this scanner, and believe me, for quite a few shots viewed on a computer screen you will not be able to tell the difference between it and a V750..How do I know? Well I have both.

It's not for mass production but I've got very good results from this scanner, and believe me, for quite a few shots viewed on a computer screen you will not be able to tell the difference between it and a V750..How do I know? Well I have both.

!!
That is one hell of a good news Brian !!

Thanks man (y)

now, how do i hide a scanner from my missus ? :cautious:

:)

now, how do i hide a scanner from my missus ? :cautious:

:)

Ah? first you say "you picked it up at a charity shop for a fiver" and then say "I thought it would be handy to copy/reproduce those old photos of you/us and your family" :D

BTW It must be a "work horse" scanner as I was at Tesco and they were using one copying customer's prints...well as you can't buy them new now it must be an old and well used, and reliable.

Just bought meself a black&decker drill for 15quid in asda living.

oh ! wait ! it's digital, so - wrong thread ! :LOL:

Ah? first you say "you picked it up at a charity shop for a fiver" and then say "I thought it would be handy to copy/reproduce those old photos of you/us and your family" :D

BTW It must be a "work horse" scanner as I was at Tesco and they were using one copying customer's prints...well as you can't buy them new now it must be an old and well used, and reliable.

:LOL:

description says it was only used a couple of times... so I hope it is in good nick :)

Well, my new to me Eos-3 is here and smelling sweetly of persil (well packaged!!)

Just waiting for the Velvia 50 to defrost and I'll be putting it through the camera to get started.

Back